Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recruitment 08:57 - Nov 24 with 747 viewsportmanking

Many of us did say in the summer that we may have recruited too many technical players and not enough of the other key ingredients you need in League One.

We lack presence and power in attack (despite Bonne's best lone efforts), we are still very one-paced in the middle of the park, and still defensively liable to errors.

Should we have invested in solid League One players and worried about building a Championship side when we were there instead?
Recruitment on 09:03 - Nov 24 with 693 viewsgordon

It's really difficult to understand why we signed Scott Fraser and Tom Carroll in particular! They both seem completely at odds with the approach and system we're trying to play. As in the other post, less signings most important for me as well - we're going to have a whole squad of players (obvious exceptions being Edmundson, Aluko and Morsy) who are low on confidence and wondering if they'll be picked etc.
Recruitment on 09:06 - Nov 24 with 688 viewsBseaBlue

Recruitment on 09:03 - Nov 24 by gordon

It's really difficult to understand why we signed Scott Fraser and Tom Carroll in particular! They both seem completely at odds with the approach and system we're trying to play. As in the other post, less signings most important for me as well - we're going to have a whole squad of players (obvious exceptions being Edmundson, Aluko and Morsy) who are low on confidence and wondering if they'll be picked etc.

I do feel bad for Fraser. To be fair to him, he hasn't really had a run in the team in one position has he? He has been chopped and changed from wide areas, to the 10 role to central midfield.

Personally, I would like to see him given a run of games in the middle and give Evans a rest. I think he has the ability to control games with his passing and movement.
Recruitment on 09:06 - Nov 24 with 687 viewsHerbivore

We recruited too many attacking midfield/wide forward options all of whom are neat and tidy players. There's too many options there, hence the constant chopping and changing, and the only one who plays with any real directness is Burns whose fitness seems questionable. Rotherham had a few lads who not only had a bit of physical presence about them but were also willing to get on the ball and just run with it and get up the pitch. It got them on the front foot a number of times. Our comparable players would have checked back, beaten a man on the halfway line, then knocked it square to Morsy or back to one of the back 4. We really lack dynamism despite having a number of flair players.

And for all the investment in that area of the pitch, to be starting at this stage with Toto, JD, and Clements in the back 4 seems mad to me. I said a while back that we went shopping at Waitrose for our attacking players and then nipped into the local Spar on the way home to pick up a couple of defenders. Turns out we could have done with a trip to B&Q to get some bits to fix the leaky roof as well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Recruitment on 09:32 - Nov 24 with 614 viewsLeoMuff

Recruitment on 09:06 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

We recruited too many attacking midfield/wide forward options all of whom are neat and tidy players. There's too many options there, hence the constant chopping and changing, and the only one who plays with any real directness is Burns whose fitness seems questionable. Rotherham had a few lads who not only had a bit of physical presence about them but were also willing to get on the ball and just run with it and get up the pitch. It got them on the front foot a number of times. Our comparable players would have checked back, beaten a man on the halfway line, then knocked it square to Morsy or back to one of the back 4. We really lack dynamism despite having a number of flair players.

And for all the investment in that area of the pitch, to be starting at this stage with Toto, JD, and Clements in the back 4 seems mad to me. I said a while back that we went shopping at Waitrose for our attacking players and then nipped into the local Spar on the way home to pick up a couple of defenders. Turns out we could have done with a trip to B&Q to get some bits to fix the leaky roof as well.

Edmunson looks a fantastic buy to be fair, Burgess on paper looked decent and maybe will come good. KVY has been disappointing to say the least, and Coulson injured so he has been a little unlucky.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Recruitment on 09:36 - Nov 24 with 600 viewsVaughan8

Many people also said we have the best players, they're so good and we will romp the league 100 points, 100 goals.....

Yes we have a lot of talented players but as you say, do they all fit and do they work as a team. I'm not sure Cook even knows his best team.
Recruitment on 09:36 - Nov 24 with 596 viewsfranz_tyson

We definitely got the recruitment wrong in terms of balance.

I wasn’t too keen on Celina coming here because I didn’t think he’d be able to handle the physicality and be able to do the dirty work. Yes, he’ll win us the odd game, but we need players that churns out results throughout the season and he’s too often a passenger.

It was bloody lucky we even got Morsy at the eleventh hour. Harper was brought in as a deep midfielder and then we find out he’s more of an advanced midfielder. Join the queue for the number 10 role.

Doesn’t feel there was a great deal of thought regarding the balance of the side. Cook should know League one and I wonder if he got too caught up in the whole spending spree scenario. It’s a bit like he was a kid in a candy store.
Recruitment on 09:41 - Nov 24 with 573 viewsRadlett_blue

Given that Town currently sit 13th in League 1, the idea that we recruited a Championship squad in the summer is something of an indictment on Cook's tactical, man management & motivational skills, isn't it?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Recruitment on 09:45 - Nov 24 with 562 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sadly it’s quite funny that when a few were concerned in the Summer that we were loading up on attacking players and not strengthening the defence certain posters were falling over themselves to label them bedwetters, and how it was the same every season (because obviously we’ve always been great still before)

And now here we are in the bottom half in November, having just had our pants pulled down at home with 3 of the back 4 being players that Cook clearly doesn’t really fancy, and 3 players that would all prefer to play in the same position in the front 4 being completely ineffective. What a f**king club

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Recruitment on 09:48 - Nov 24 with 545 viewstextbackup

"We lack presence and power in attack"

should have got us in last seasons 22 goal striker from AFC wimbledon really shouldnt we

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Recruitment on 10:30 - Nov 24 with 478 viewsportmanking

Recruitment on 09:48 - Nov 24 by textbackup

"We lack presence and power in attack"

should have got us in last seasons 22 goal striker from AFC wimbledon really shouldnt we

I don't think presence and power are two attributes one would use to describe Joe Pigott, personally.
Recruitment on 10:36 - Nov 24 with 460 viewstextbackup

Recruitment on 10:30 - Nov 24 by portmanking

I don't think presence and power are two attributes one would use to describe Joe Pigott, personally.

TBH, how would any of us know?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Recruitment on 11:52 - Nov 24 with 416 viewsportmanking

Recruitment on 10:36 - Nov 24 by textbackup

TBH, how would any of us know?

I agree with you, he's been hugely underused. But you can't help thinking someone in the mould of Michael Smith would give us that much-needed extra dimension.

The biggest disappointment for me is Lee Evans. Always off the pace. Just have to hope he's still carrying an injury from pre-season because he can't be that poor normally, surely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024