Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We have a problem up front 10:13 - Nov 24 with 1024 viewsSomethingBlue

We do I'm afraid. We've seen Bonne's strengths and he's been superb so far, and works very hard too. When we are on the front foot and fizzing ball across the box he's who you want in there.

But when it's not working, he might as well not be there. Not a criticism of him, sometimes it's a systemic thing and sometimes it's because he can't be everything. Smith last night put in exactly the kind of performance we could have done with from a centre-forward for Rotherham — winning stuff in the air, backing in and holding the ball up on the ground, offering a platform to play off.

Said this last night but if we can't get a similar tune out of Pigott then we need to find someone who can offer those traits, it would be a big help given all the potential we have in attacking midfield and out wide. There's too much on Bonne at the moment and it's starting to tell.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

We have a problem up front on 10:16 - Nov 24 with 969 viewsSimonds92

Disagree, the problem isnthe 3 behind him, not only giving him no servise last night but they were also nowhere near him when he won a fair number of aerial battles against players a lot bigger than him. He has to be the first name on the teamsheet, it's not just his goals but his football intelligence.
We have a problem up front on 10:19 - Nov 24 with 947 viewsSomethingBlue

We have a problem up front on 10:16 - Nov 24 by Simonds92

Disagree, the problem isnthe 3 behind him, not only giving him no servise last night but they were also nowhere near him when he won a fair number of aerial battles against players a lot bigger than him. He has to be the first name on the teamsheet, it's not just his goals but his football intelligence.

Not suggesting dropping him but we need a credible, functioning alternative up there to compete.

We have a problem up front on 10:19 - Nov 24 with 947 viewsWickets

Sorry i think this is wrong , It would not have mattered one jot who was playing alone up front last night as their was no service and no wide player who could have provided that service . We have Burns Aluco KVY Coulson and Penny at the club at least one or two of them were fit enough to play . So for me poor team selection .
We have a problem up front on 10:22 - Nov 24 with 923 viewslazyblue

You have to find room in that team for Pigott , he is far too good to be on bench.
We have a problem up front on 10:23 - Nov 24 with 905 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Oh, you mean like a Norwood.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

We have a problem up front on 10:25 - Nov 24 with 880 viewshoppy

We have a problem up front on 10:23 - Nov 24 by OriginalMarkyP

Where would we get one of those though?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

We have a problem up front on 10:26 - Nov 24 with 877 viewsJakeITFC

A friend of mine has been banging the drum for Pigott in the 10 off Bonne - think that would work if we get some genuine width back in the side shortly.
We have a problem up front on 10:28 - Nov 24 with 871 viewsRegencyBlue

We do but it’s not Bonne, it’s the system.

Opposition teams have sussed us out. Isolate Bonne or whoever plays up front by pressing us high up the pitch. We then revert to pumping high hopeful balls to no one in particular.
Login to get fewer ads

We have a problem up front on 10:30 - Nov 24 with 851 viewsSomethingBlue

We have a problem up front on 10:28 - Nov 24 by RegencyBlue

Opposition teams have sussed us out. Isolate Bonne or whoever plays up front by pressing us high up the pitch. We then revert to pumping high hopeful balls to no one in particular.

I don't totally disagree with that but we badly need Pigott to step up because you need good alternatives up there — at the moment Bonne has too much of a burden on him and is probably having to play too many minutes.

We have a problem up front on 10:31 - Nov 24 with 840 viewsportmanking

We have a problem up front on 10:30 - Nov 24 by SomethingBlue

I don't totally disagree with that but we badly need Pigott to step up because you need good alternatives up there — at the moment Bonne has too much of a burden on him and is probably having to play too many minutes.

How do you get him to step up when he's played so little football? He's looking like a low-rent Sam Parkin out there right now. Cook's sapped the confidence out of him.
We have a problem up front on 10:35 - Nov 24 with 804 viewsDarth_Koont

Rotherham really were very good when they went forward and I think it was their speed and directness with the ball that underlined our more stuttering efforts.

We get the ball and we often slow it down, shift sides and then try to put in a burst of tempo to actually threaten. I think our approach can give us a bit more overall control of the game but that decision of when to really attack seems to create a lot of issues with our final ball and players like Bonne getting into good positions. Rotherham on the other hand played it quickly down the channels and then poured forward to support including getting players into the box for a cross or cutback they knew was coming. Seemed to be much more of a team attack in one movement.

Hopefully we can learn from that and focus on all being on the same page in the opposition half. Maybe that comes from Rotherham just having more confidence and momentum but we need to fake it until we make it on that score.

Pronouns: He/Him

We have a problem up front on 11:33 - Nov 24 with 729 viewsIllinoisblue

We have a problem up front on 10:28 - Nov 24 by RegencyBlue

Cook’s system seems to be reliant on full backs getting forward and for whatever reason that’s not happening of late.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

We have a problem up front on 11:54 - Nov 24 with 665 viewsurbanblue

We have a problem up front on 10:22 - Nov 24 by lazyblue

You have to find room in that team for Pigott , he is far too good to be on bench.

Agree 100%. I'm feeling frustrated that he is not getting much game time in the first team.
We have a problem up front on 11:56 - Nov 24 with 648 viewsurbanblue

We have a problem up front on 10:30 - Nov 24 by SomethingBlue

The thing is Pigott has only had opportunities in the cup matches with what could be called our reserves. We haven't seen more then the odd 15 minutes with the first 11.
We have a problem up front on 12:08 - Nov 24 with 607 viewsLightworker

I agree with your assessment of the problem but not necessarily the solution. This comes down to formation and only playing one up front against three again for me. Had Smith, for example been up front on his own for us last night would it really have made us much more effective?

Rotherham were effective because they had two strong lads up front occupying our centre backs and often one of them peeling out wide onto Bailey Clements where they inevitably won the aerial ball and were able to build attacks and pressure.

This led to them being further up the pitch and then able to press us when we had the ball at the back. They targeted Donacian and Toto for the press and we invariably went back to Walton for the long kick which was meat and drink to them. In fairness to Bonne he won more in the air than could realistically have been expected of him.

For certain games we need to go two up top and yesterday was a prime example in my opinion. The fact that we can't because Cook never even entertains a change of system ( and presumably doesn't spend too much time coaching one on the training field ) is a massive failing on his part.
We have a problem up front on 12:44 - Nov 24 with 521 viewsCaptainAhab

We have a problem up front on 10:23 - Nov 24 by OriginalMarkyP

Like a Norwood maybe, but definitely NOT Norwood
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024