Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Update on the points required to be in the play-offs by Boxing Day thread 10:41 - Nov 24 with 475 viewsPattiswickBlue

We now need to win the next 5…

What's required for Ipswich to be 6th by Boxing Day? by PattiswickBlue 5 Oct 2021 16:11
Gameweek 24 stats — (Boxing Day)

20/21 after 24 games 6th — 40 points
19/20 after 24 games 6th — 37 points
18/19 after 24 games 6th — 41 points
17/18 after 24 games 6th — 39 points
16/17 after 24 games 6th — 38 points
15/16 after 24 games 6th — 40 points

Average points haul for 6th position over the past six seasons, after 24 games is — 39 points. Therefore, Ipswich need to amass 29 points from 14 games, to reach Mark Ashton and Mike O’Leary’s aim of “being in and around it at Christmas time”. An example of a way that Ipswich could do that is by winning 9, drawing 2 and losing 3 games. To achieve these 9 wins it means Ipswich will have to beat sides like Sunderland, Wigan, Wycombe and Portsmouth all away from home. The next 14 games:

Shrewsbury (H), Cambridge (A), Portsmouth (A), Fleetwood (H), Plymouth (A), Wycombe (A), Oxford (H), Sunderland (A), Rotherham (H), Crewe (H), Charlton (A), Wigan (A), Sunderland (H) and Gillingham (A).

It requires one hell of a run against the league’s best sides, I am a big fan of Cook but he has made this incredibly difficult for himself. However, you could see this as an opportunity to beat the best sides and stamp our authority on the league. It starts with Shrewsbury at home on Saturday, which is an absolute MUST WIN game.

Update on the points required to be in the play-offs by Boxing Day thread on 10:43 - Nov 24 with 445 viewswkj

I think this season is going to be a high points season for top 6. The quality of teams in this division has massively improved this year with Wigan's resurgence, the promoted teams looking decent and the relegated teams looking dominant.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Update on the points required to be in the play-offs by Boxing Day thread on 10:50 - Nov 24 with 409 viewsDavoIPB

Update on the points required to be in the play-offs by Boxing Day thread on 10:43 - Nov 24 by wkj

I think this season is going to be a high points season for top 6. The quality of teams in this division has massively improved this year with Wigan's resurgence, the promoted teams looking decent and the relegated teams looking dominant.

Sunderland are awful (we should have thrashed them), we did thrash Portsmouth and Wycombe two supposedly good teams. This isn't a good league. We are really finding our feet and yet could have beaten plymouth, should have beaten oxford. The only team that has looked really decent were Rotherham tonight and actually fleetwood but they aren't really a threat anymore.
Update on the points required to be in the play-offs by Boxing Day thread on 10:52 - Nov 24 with 393 viewswkj

Update on the points required to be in the play-offs by Boxing Day thread on 10:50 - Nov 24 by DavoIPB

Sunderland are awful (we should have thrashed them), we did thrash Portsmouth and Wycombe two supposedly good teams. This isn't a good league. We are really finding our feet and yet could have beaten plymouth, should have beaten oxford. The only team that has looked really decent were Rotherham tonight and actually fleetwood but they aren't really a threat anymore.

Rotherham, Wycombe and Sheffiled Weds are all occupying top 6- I am ignoring Portsmouth and Sunderland? We'll- they're better than us right now, sadly

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Update on the points required to be in the play-offs by Boxing Day thread on 11:44 - Nov 24 with 321 viewsHighgateBlue

Update on the points required to be in the play-offs by Boxing Day thread on 10:43 - Nov 24 by wkj

Indeed. I can't see any team being in the top six after five more games if they've only got 39 points, and I certainly can't see any team in the top six on 39 points after 24 games (for Sunderland that would mean 7 points in the next 7 games, and somehow not being overtaken by anyone).

Wimbledon are in 18th position and are 4 points behind us with 2 games in hand. Being overtaken by them is just as credible as us breaking into the top 8 in the near term, let along the top 6.

There are 11 teams below us in this league (they must be pretty bad...). 7 of those have games in hand on us.

Now I don't think it's likely that we'll get relegated. But sitting where we are in the table, there's a certain arrogance to assuming that getting out of this division is a one-way bet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024