Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is horrible news 17:05 - Nov 24 with 3810 viewsGlasgowBlue

That people are so desperate that they put their lives at risk should not be met with hostility. We need to be doing so much more to help refugees settle in the UK so that they don't have to resort to such desperate measure.

R.I.P. all of those who lost their lives.

Edit. Up to 29 dead now.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 17:41]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is horrible news on 17:10 - Nov 24 with 2396 viewsMullet

Stop voting Tory should be the first thing everybody does. Imagine being so insecure that you’re threatened by people in dinghies, yet people seem to love punching down and venerating the corrupt public schoolboys stealing far more from us than a naval fleet of immigrants ever could.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This is horrible news on 17:41 - Nov 24 with 2261 viewsSteve_M

It seems that a Home Secretary pushing "Drown them all" policies might have consequences.

It is an abysmal failure of both moral and political leadership that this country continues to restrict legal routes to asylum. The blame for this tragedy is widespread.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This is horrible news on 17:41 - Nov 24 with 2252 viewstextbackup

This is horrible news on 17:10 - Nov 24 by Mullet

Stop voting Tory should be the first thing everybody does. Imagine being so insecure that you’re threatened by people in dinghies, yet people seem to love punching down and venerating the corrupt public schoolboys stealing far more from us than a naval fleet of immigrants ever could.

To confirm, if we don’t vote labour the sea will become less rough and the boats won’t capsize?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This is horrible news on 17:43 - Nov 24 with 2229 viewsBlueBadger

This is horrible news on 17:41 - Nov 24 by Steve_M

It seems that a Home Secretary pushing "Drown them all" policies might have consequences.

It is an abysmal failure of both moral and political leadership that this country continues to restrict legal routes to asylum. The blame for this tragedy is widespread.

*Starts the 'this is why it's Labour's fault' clock*

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This is horrible news on 17:57 - Nov 24 with 2177 viewsDinDjarin

Not sure they made it far enough to get any hostility but I get your point. Something needs to change.

Very very sad and unnecessary.
This is horrible news on 18:11 - Nov 24 with 2114 viewseireblue

This is horrible news on 17:41 - Nov 24 by textbackup

To confirm, if we don’t vote labour the sea will become less rough and the boats won’t capsize?

So you think the issue is lack of access to weather information and boat size?
This is horrible news on 18:29 - Nov 24 with 2059 viewsRadioOrwell

That is a pathetically childish, ignorant response.
Try and be a better person.
This is horrible news on 18:37 - Nov 24 with 2021 viewsLord_Lucan

It's terrible news, really awful, I can't imagine the terror of it all.

But let's get something straight here -

1/ Why are these people risking their lives to flee a safe country to enter another safe country? It makes no sense at all.

2/ Why aren't the French border force and Navy doing more to stop these crossings and or turn these boats back before they hit deep water and danger - this is not a difficult task should they wish to do so.

............and before I get the TW4TD standard - "You are a racist, nazi scumbag" let me tell you that I have absolutely no problem with immigration, I welcome it and would be happy to take much more than we officially do - but they should be vetted and be accepted from official refugee camps, there should also be an emphasis put on families and children.

There is no place for gangster funded makeshift death trap boats being allowed to make this crossing.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 18:38]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

This is horrible news on 18:42 - Nov 24 with 1977 viewsPinewoodblue

This is horrible news on 18:37 - Nov 24 by Lord_Lucan

1/ Why are these people risking their lives to flee a safe country to enter another safe country? It makes no sense at all.

2/ Why aren't the French border force and Navy doing more to stop these crossings and or turn these boats back before they hit deep water and danger - this is not a difficult task should they wish to do so.

............and before I get the TW4TD standard - "You are a racist, nazi scumbag" let me tell you that I have absolutely no problem with immigration, I welcome it and would be happy to take much more than we officially do - but they should be vetted and be accepted from official refugee camps, there should also be an emphasis put on families and children.

There is no place for gangster funded makeshift death trap boats being allowed to make this crossing.

Glad someone feels the same way as I do. This was an avoidable tragedy waiting to happen and brings shame to those who turned a blind eye.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This is horrible news on 18:50 - Nov 24 with 1920 viewstractordownsouth

This is horrible news on 17:43 - Nov 24 by BlueBadger

*Starts the 'this is why it's Labour's fault' clock*

Dan Hodges is writing a column on it as we speak

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This is horrible news on 18:51 - Nov 24 with 1921 viewseireblue

You sort have answered your own questions.

UK doesn’t provide safe easy legal routes.
UK doesn’t provide an easy way to allow refugees to reunite with family.

Some people have voted for this.

On 1. This has been done before. European Court of Human Rights has found that France has been violating migrants human rights.

“Of particular concern is the risk to unaccompanied children and vulnerable adults such as women and survivors of torture, who are not protected by the French asylum system and are at risk of trafficking and slavery.”
This is horrible news on 18:57 - Nov 24 with 1884 viewsWhos_blue

Oh dear.

Please consider taking the opportunity to come back and explain that you misspoke and it was a poorly timed and executed attempt at dry humour.
I think you'll feel better for it.
This doesn't read well for you mate.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

This is horrible news on 19:00 - Nov 24 with 1869 viewstractordownsouth

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. There are all sorts of horror stories about what’s happening in France (who already take many more than we do) and the conditions in Calais. Taking people from camps seems sensible but I don’t see how people can physically be stopped from making alternative journeys. There are no easy answers but some of the suggestions (like offshore detention camps) are awful.

The safe country argument also has no basis in international law, although ironically there was capacity to do that within the EU. There needs to be much more co-operation with this, rather than posturing from ministers desperate to appeal to the Tory membership.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This is horrible news on 19:02 - Nov 24 with 1840 viewsMattinLondon

It does make sense if English happens to be their second language.
This is horrible news on 19:06 - Nov 24 with 1818 viewsmutters

This is horrible news on 17:10 - Nov 24 by Mullet

Seriously, trying to score political points on the back of a tragedy? That's your first thought in response to the original poster?

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

This is horrible news on 19:13 - Nov 24 with 1779 viewsMullet

This is horrible news on 19:06 - Nov 24 by mutters

Seriously, trying to score political points on the back of a tragedy? That's your first thought in response to the original poster?

No. It was a response to GBs first sentence. Which is obviously understood by the vast majority who actually read both posts.

By all means tell me how the current moral panic about a few immigrants in a boat isn’t fuelled by a media propping up a government who at its softer end, launched go home vans.

I’m more than keen to hear the explanation for the attitude being discussed.

This is horrible news on 19:14 - Nov 24 with 1769 viewseireblue

This is horrible news on 19:06 - Nov 24 by mutters

The issue has been getting progressively worse, and the U.K. has been making it harder for refugees, and politicians in power have constantly been conflating refugees/asylum seekers with criminal activity.

It is the same party that has overseen this progression for over ten years.

Why would you not make reference to that in such a discussion.
This is horrible news on 19:23 - Nov 24 with 1723 viewsCrawfordsboot

A number of commentators are today suggesting that we need to talk to the French and agree a common approach to the refugee crisis. Individual countries cannot solve it in isolation. Brexit was sold on the premise that we must take back control of our borders - well clearly that was a pile of s**t. On ou own we can do very little. At least in the EU we could hope to agree a common response.
The reaction here is appalling.

Currently there are more people leaving the UK than entering.
We need workers.
These people are desperate to work and to build a future.
They will work and pay tax.
They will invigorate our society.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 19:23]
This is horrible news on 19:30 - Nov 24 with 1686 viewsLord_Lucan

This is horrible news on 19:02 - Nov 24 by MattinLondon

It does make sense if English happens to be their second language.

So if you spoke French and not English right now you would risk your life in a boat to travel in all weathers from Dover to Calais?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

This is horrible news on 19:35 - Nov 24 with 1630 viewsGuthrum

1) France is not that much of a safe country. In terms of populist politics, they are about as immigrant-friendly as the UK. Ethnic integration has lagged behind where we are in Britain (the infamous Paris banlieues are pretty much North African ghettoes). Hence why these people are in camps in the first place, rather than settled accommodation. Yes, technically France may be "safe", but it probably doesn't feel that way to the refugees themselves.

2) There are limits. The traffickers are prepared to put out small boats from secluded beaches, in all weathers and at night. Rubber dinghies, very low in the water, are pretty invisible on radar. So they need to be spotted visually, which is not easy for such small targets, perhaps hidden by waves, trying not to be detected.

France doesn't have that many seagoing patrol and coastguard vessels not based overseas. About nine, plus, presumably, small inshore boats as well. That's not many to cover probably a hundred miles of coastline which is also swarming with other small craft - legitimate leisure boats, fishing vessels and so on.

It isn't that easy a task. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot go unintercepted on this side, too, at least until they land.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This is horrible news on 19:36 - Nov 24 with 1606 viewsmutters

This is horrible news on 19:13 - Nov 24 by Mullet

No. It was a response to GBs first sentence. Which is obviously understood by the vast majority who actually read both posts.

By all means tell me how the current moral panic about a few immigrants in a boat isn’t fuelled by a media propping up a government who at its softer end, launched go home vans.

I’m more than keen to hear the explanation for the attitude being discussed.

I note that the OP has edited the posting, so if I have taken something out of context then that might be the situation here.

However as it currently stands, it was the first response, no reference was made to the tradegy just straight into attacking the governmenet. Not a moment to pause to reflect on the loss of life. Seemed a bit callous to me.

However, if I had misread it due to the situation then I will retract it.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

This is horrible news on 19:40 - Nov 24 with 1580 viewsMattinLondon

This is horrible news on 19:30 - Nov 24 by Lord_Lucan

So if you spoke French and not English right now you would risk your life in a boat to travel in all weathers from Dover to Calais?

No, personally I wouldn’t. But then again I’m not fleeing from a war zone and desperately want a better life for myself and my family.
This is horrible news on 19:40 - Nov 24 with 1579 viewsLord_Lucan

This is horrible news on 18:51 - Nov 24 by eireblue

You sort have answered your own questions.

UK doesn’t provide safe easy legal routes.
UK doesn’t provide an easy way to allow refugees to reunite with family.

Some people have voted for this.

On 1. This has been done before. European Court of Human Rights has found that France has been violating migrants human rights.

“Of particular concern is the risk to unaccompanied children and vulnerable adults such as women and survivors of torture, who are not protected by the French asylum system and are at risk of trafficking and slavery.”

This from full fact seems to suggest we take more from legal routes than anyone else - unless I’ve read it wrong.

The fact we still take less overall is probably because many aren’t crazy enough or even rich enough to go the nautical route.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/how-many-refugees-does-uk-take/

This is horrible news on 19:52 - Nov 24 with 1512 viewsMullet

This is horrible news on 19:36 - Nov 24 by mutters

I note that the OP has edited the posting, so if I have taken something out of context then that might be the situation here.

However as it currently stands, it was the first response, no reference was made to the tradegy just straight into attacking the governmenet. Not a moment to pause to reflect on the loss of life. Seemed a bit callous to me.

However, if I had misread it due to the situation then I will retract it.

The edit had absolutely nothing to do with you completely misreading the thread.

I notice you didn't attempt to contextualise your defence of the current status quo either. Why is that? You were so adamant how wrong I was.

This is horrible news on 19:56 - Nov 24 with 1493 viewseireblue

This is horrible news on 19:40 - Nov 24 by Lord_Lucan

This from full fact seems to suggest we take more from legal routes than anyone else - unless I’ve read it wrong.

The fact we still take less overall is probably because many aren’t crazy enough or even rich enough to go the nautical route.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/how-many-refugees-does-uk-take/

That article doesn’t negate what I said.

The bits that seem pertinent are “ Technically correct, but resettled refugees are only a subset of all refugees a country might take in.”

And in the section titled “ A number of EU countries grant asylum to more refugees than the UK does”

You may have missed

“ Excluding asylum applications where the outcome was unknown, but including those who were successful after appealing an initial rejection, 35% of asylum applicants to the UK were granted asylum or another form of protection in 2017–the lowest level since 2006.”

E.g. on percentage terms, the U.K. was reducing the number being accepted.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024