Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Green 'Un - TWTD! 19:19 - Nov 25 with 3427 viewsrfretwell

Clive Baker mentioned being amazed how the Green Un was in the newsagents by 6.00pm on Saturdays with even all the local non league match reports. The best of all was the report on the Olive Leaf's matches - absolutely hilarious they were. Anyone know who the scribe was? One day i'll dig up my old Green Uns in our loft.
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 19:28 - Nov 25 with 2781 viewsLord_Lucan

I used to love the Green’un.

My only criticism is that it was green.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 19:59 - Nov 25 with 2690 viewstazdac

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 19:28 - Nov 25 by Lord_Lucan

I used to love the Green’un.

My only criticism is that it was green.

Better than being pink? ;o)
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 20:11 - Nov 25 with 2666 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

We used to leave the match (five mins early of course 😀) and get to the Brewers Arms in Polstead. Five mins after walking in the Green Uns would arrive and would still be warm.
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 20:12 - Nov 25 with 2656 viewsblueislander

It was actually delivered to our house around 6. , and that was in the 50s.

As for the Olive Leaf Heavies , they were about the best Sunday pub team in the area. I played for The Greyhound which was the best pub in the town, but we were a crap football team.
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 20:35 - Nov 25 with 2605 viewsArnieM

Neil Manning was one of the reporters I think ….. I used to deliver them , but got the sack eventually for not “ making it back for the Green ‘Un (usually when Town we’re playing at home .

Anyone that old enough to remember all the buses parked along PR ready to take you home to whichever estate you lived on? Twtd indeed 👍
[Post edited 25 Nov 2021 20:35]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 20:38 - Nov 25 with 2577 viewsblueislander

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 20:35 - Nov 25 by ArnieM

Neil Manning was one of the reporters I think ….. I used to deliver them , but got the sack eventually for not “ making it back for the Green ‘Un (usually when Town we’re playing at home .

Anyone that old enough to remember all the buses parked along PR ready to take you home to whichever estate you lived on? Twtd indeed 👍
[Post edited 25 Nov 2021 20:35]

Neil would have started in around 1970 as understudy to Tony Garnett.
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 21:01 - Nov 25 with 2551 viewsLord_Lucan

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 20:12 - Nov 25 by blueislander

As for the Olive Leaf Heavies , they were about the best Sunday pub team in the area. I played for The Greyhound which was the best pub in the town, but we were a crap football team.

My parents very unfairly moved be at the age of about 11 from Hounslow to a tiny fecking village called Mellis.

I was just about young enough to switch football teams and obviously I chose Ipswich.

You may have got The Green'un delivered by 18.00 in Ipswich but in Mellis we got it on Tuesday, if we were lucky and ageing newspaper man Cyril was hot on his loafers we might occasionally have got it on Monday.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 22:37 - Nov 25 with 2378 viewsnorth_stand77

Was really quite amazing how quickly the reports for all the local matches including Towns were in newsagents over Suffolk. Obviously no mobile phones, so it was probably reported to East Anglian office via a public phone box near to where any game was held.

I can remember as a kid, going to the games and by the time I got back to Stow soon after 5pm (think kick offs were either 2pm or 2.30pm?) there were queues of cloth capped men waiting outside for their arrival!
Login to get fewer ads

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 22:42 - Nov 25 with 2351 viewsmonty_radio

Tony Garnett was much addicted to using "ubiquitous" if a player had run about a lot.

We used to take it in turns to submit a report on our Sunday team so, when it was my turn, I was finally able to use ubiquitous to describe my own performance - don't think that was strictly accurate, mind.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 23:00 - Nov 25 with 2312 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 22:37 - Nov 25 by north_stand77

Was really quite amazing how quickly the reports for all the local matches including Towns were in newsagents over Suffolk. Obviously no mobile phones, so it was probably reported to East Anglian office via a public phone box near to where any game was held.

I can remember as a kid, going to the games and by the time I got back to Stow soon after 5pm (think kick offs were either 2pm or 2.30pm?) there were queues of cloth capped men waiting outside for their arrival!

Even on the late 90s / early 2000s I would always go for a pint after the game so that I could pick up the Green Un at the station before heading back to London. Mainly for the results as a Wap phone was something I didn't have.

Part of a more charming era, long gone.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 23:20 - Nov 25 with 2279 viewsBeckets

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 22:42 - Nov 25 by monty_radio

Tony Garnett was much addicted to using "ubiquitous" if a player had run about a lot.

We used to take it in turns to submit a report on our Sunday team so, when it was my turn, I was finally able to use ubiquitous to describe my own performance - don't think that was strictly accurate, mind.

With Tony I remember Jimmy Robertson always “shone” and Colin Viljeon was always “the ace in Town’s pack”. Truly TWTD.
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 23:22 - Nov 25 with 2270 viewsParky

Loved the Green ‘Un, thought you’d made it when you saw your name mentioned!
I used to play cricket for Mellis on 07:38 - Nov 26 with 2038 viewsMenton

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 21:01 - Nov 25 by Lord_Lucan

My parents very unfairly moved be at the age of about 11 from Hounslow to a tiny fecking village called Mellis.

I was just about young enough to switch football teams and obviously I chose Ipswich.

You may have got The Green'un delivered by 18.00 in Ipswich but in Mellis we got it on Tuesday, if we were lucky and ageing newspaper man Cyril was hot on his loafers we might occasionally have got it on Monday.

Did Fred and Enid run the Railway Tavern when you were there?

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 08:01 - Nov 26 with 2000 viewsDubtractor

Back in the early 90s I had a big colour team picture of my team at the time (Ufford) in the green un and the star after we had our match ball delivered by a helicopter. Looked dead smart with the massive chopper (fnaar) behind us in the pic, me with my shaved undercut and hair in a pony tail as was the done thing back then.

Used to love getting the green un each week though, to see the results and tables for the teams I used to play for.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 08:16 - Nov 26 with 1977 viewsBluespeed225

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 20:12 - Nov 25 by blueislander

My old man was a ‘Heavy’ for a while in early 70’s. He also was experimenting with a hairpiece at the time post divorce ( There were also jeans with bells on them , cravats,and clogs. The Austin Powers years I call them), and was reported in the Green’un as being giving a ‘severe wigging’ by the referee!
I still have the Man U 6-0 Green’un!
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 08:28 - Nov 26 with 1942 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Every week I waited at the newsagent's for the Green 'Un. And read every word. I, too, remember the Olive Leaf reports as a highlight; the exploits of Arkle et al...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 08:33 - Nov 26 with 1904 viewsSomethingBlue

The Green 'Un was an absolute feat of genius and now feels like a throwback to a more innocent time, I think there are still a load of them in my parents' house somewhere and if I ever find them nobody will see me for days. Still remember the thrill at seeing my name in there for the first time too, even if it was alongside "headed over at point blank range" for my under-14 team.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 09:19 - Nov 26 with 1804 viewsMeadowlark

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 08:33 - Nov 26 by SomethingBlue

The Green 'Un was an absolute feat of genius and now feels like a throwback to a more innocent time, I think there are still a load of them in my parents' house somewhere and if I ever find them nobody will see me for days. Still remember the thrill at seeing my name in there for the first time too, even if it was alongside "headed over at point blank range" for my under-14 team.

As a youth in Lowestoft in the 70's, I had to cycle to the Lowestoft Journal office in town on a Saturday evening, where an old boy would sell them off the front of his trade bike.
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 09:21 - Nov 26 with 1801 viewswoodbridge_blue

I can remember as a ten or eleven year old waiting at the Cross Corner in Woodbridge on Saturday evenings to collect a copy, it usually arriving by 6.15 at the latest.

Years later I was "View From The Bridge" for Woodbridge Town, and used to phone through match reports at half-time and full-time, always impressed by the efficiency and organisation of this much cherished, and much missed publication.
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 09:28 - Nov 26 with 1780 viewsHerbivore

The Green Un was basically magic. Pretty sure they could see into the future to be able to get that paper out when they did.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I used to play cricket for Mellis on 10:06 - Nov 26 with 1719 viewsLord_Lucan

I used to play cricket for Mellis on 07:38 - Nov 26 by Menton

Did Fred and Enid run the Railway Tavern when you were there?

No, I forget the name of the couple who had it but it wasn't Fred and Enid.

I think it was a bloke called Len and his Mrs, they were followed by a few short termers until Brian and Grace / Joyce? took over and they then went on to run The Crown in Diss.

Mother worked in there for a while.

I used to play cricket for Mellis on 10:38 - Nov 26 with 1675 viewsDubtractor

I used to play cricket for Mellis on 10:06 - Nov 26 by Lord_Lucan

No, I forget the name of the couple who had it but it wasn't Fred and Enid.

I think it was a bloke called Len and his Mrs, they were followed by a few short termers until Brian and Grace / Joyce? took over and they then went on to run The Crown in Diss.

Mother worked in there for a while.

It was Joyce, and she was an odd combination of terrifying but quite friendly.

I used to go in there every Friday lunch time for steak and beer back in the 90s as I worked on Derby Road.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I used to play cricket for Mellis on 10:45 - Nov 26 with 1664 viewsLord_Lucan

I used to play cricket for Mellis on 10:38 - Nov 26 by Dubtractor

It was Joyce, and she was an odd combination of terrifying but quite friendly.

I used to go in there every Friday lunch time for steak and beer back in the 90s as I worked on Derby Road.

You are talking about The Railway on Foxhall Rd, we are talking about The Railway Tavern in Mellis.

Joyce had The Railway on Foxhall Rd with her husband Chris, when he died she eventually took over The Black Horse.

She was indeed a formidable women, not the easiest on the eye but nice enough in a way.

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 12:04 - Nov 26 with 1601 viewsrfretwell

I worked at the EADT for a couple of years during Sir Bobbys time at the Town. Great bunch of characters there then - Neil Manning, Dave Allard, Tony Garnett etc. Some of my most enjoyable years without a doubt. Helped by the brilliant Sports & Social club in the building next to our HQ with its own snooker table on the first floor.
The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 14:09 - Nov 26 with 1507 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The Green 'Un - TWTD! on 12:04 - Nov 26 by rfretwell

I worked at the EADT for a couple of years during Sir Bobbys time at the Town. Great bunch of characters there then - Neil Manning, Dave Allard, Tony Garnett etc. Some of my most enjoyable years without a doubt. Helped by the brilliant Sports & Social club in the building next to our HQ with its own snooker table on the first floor.

There's something great about the sight, sound and smell of a snooker table. The first time I ever went to a snooker club was when I was about 9. It was like entering a working class palace. Slight air of menace added to it all.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024