Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Female Dr Who = male crime 23:26 - Nov 25 with 2314 viewsDubtractor

Have we covered this one? Some of the statements from this bell end are breathtaking.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/25/bond-doctor-who-casting-women-r

Edited to include the actual speech.

[Post edited 25 Nov 2021 23:30]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Female Dr Who = male crime on 23:40 - Nov 25 with 1737 viewsDubtractor

Doh. Just realised I am the 3rd to post this thread.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Female Dr Who = male crime on 23:53 - Nov 25 with 1717 viewsXYZ

Female Dr Who = male crime on 23:40 - Nov 25 by Dubtractor

Doh. Just realised I am the 3rd to post this thread.

Probably a woman's fault.

(c) a mad tory bloke from Yorkshire.
Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:00 - Nov 26 with 1590 viewsGlasgowBlue

I dont want to defend the bloke and I know nothing of his views, but I think he’s been misrepresented in the media over the last day.

He hasn’t said that young men are committing violent crime because Doctor Who has become a woman. He’s saying that young men no longer have many positive role models to look up to in popular culture and at instead are presented with violent men such as a Tommy Shelby.

Now you and I see more women, BAME and gay characters on TV as long overdue equal representation, but I would prefer to see that levelling up as an introduction to new characters rather than changing the sex of existing role.

This call for the next Bond to be a woman is utter nonsense in my opinion. Bond is a cannon character who is established as a man over 60 years. It’s right that the character has evolved over time and no longer hits women or has sexist attitudes. But why not invest in a brand new franchise featuring female spy rather than ripping up sixty years of continuity?

Back to his point, I’m sure that since the beginning of popular culture, there have been both positive and negative male role models. I can’t believe that young men go on to commit violent crime because the saw Tommy Shelby slash some bloke’s face with a razor blade, any more than they go on to travel the world doing good deeds because they saw Doctor Who defeat the Daleks with a sonic Screwdriver.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 9:01]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:03 - Nov 26 with 1583 viewsDubtractor

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:00 - Nov 26 by GlasgowBlue

I dont want to defend the bloke and I know nothing of his views, but I think he’s been misrepresented in the media over the last day.

He hasn’t said that young men are committing violent crime because Doctor Who has become a woman. He’s saying that young men no longer have many positive role models to look up to in popular culture and at instead are presented with violent men such as a Tommy Shelby.

Now you and I see more women, BAME and gay characters on TV as long overdue equal representation, but I would prefer to see that levelling up as an introduction to new characters rather than changing the sex of existing role.

This call for the next Bond to be a woman is utter nonsense in my opinion. Bond is a cannon character who is established as a man over 60 years. It’s right that the character has evolved over time and no longer hits women or has sexist attitudes. But why not invest in a brand new franchise featuring female spy rather than ripping up sixty years of continuity?

Back to his point, I’m sure that since the beginning of popular culture, there have been both positive and negative male role models. I can’t believe that young men go on to commit violent crime because the saw Tommy Shelby slash some bloke’s face with a razor blade, any more than they go on to travel the world doing good deeds because they saw Doctor Who defeat the Daleks with a sonic Screwdriver.

Fwiw I agree that the idea of a female bond is terrible.

I'd also suggest that the idea of bond being a positive tole model is even more stupid!

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:08 - Nov 26 with 1572 viewsBlueandTruesince82

This...he's used a a sledge hammer to crack his nuanced walnut but the point he was making is a fair one. Even in my day I was forced to look up to Gary and Tony from men behaving badly and Father Ted.

What's that got me? A drinking problem and penchant for hanging out in the lingerie section.

The money was just resting in my account BTW

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:17 - Nov 26 with 1550 viewsSwansea_Blue

Unless these videos have been edited, he's been hoisted by his own petard. Besides, there are plenty of male role models, but they're seen as too 'woke' by people like him (a member of the Common Sense group, who want to 'defeat wokeism' - https://www.thecommonsensegroup.com/. (For the uninitiated, the group has the same principles as the ERG, but instead of being against the EU and foreigners, they're against progressive social values and foreigners).

This bloke's a nutter and seems to have a complex about his own gender. He's one of the ghastly new intake with little intelligence yet a great desire to peddle divisive rubbish to endear him to the leadership (much like Ipswich's very own caustic little MP).

It's ghastly stuff.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:20 - Nov 26 with 1541 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

"He hasn’t said that young men are committing violent crime because Doctor Who has become a woman"

No that's pretty much exactly what he said.

"In recent years we have seen Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, Luke Skywalker, the Equalizer all replaced by women, and men are left with the Krays and Tommy Shelby," the MP for Don Valley says. "Is there any wonder we are seeing so many young men committing crime?"

Left with the Krays?!

How about

Marcus Rashford
Brian Cox
Daniel Radcliffe
Ed Sheeran
Harry Styles ???

And if the focus is just on TV and film

Idris Elba
Ralph Fiennes
Anthony Hopkins
Gary Oldman
Shaun Evans

Oh and if he can cite the Krays let's not forget Jack Warner as George Dixon.

Still I'm sure that particular brain fart sounded good to him.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:27 - Nov 26 with 1531 viewsGuthrum

Perhaps more male politicians should start providing positive role models, instead of a succession of weird/sleazy scumbags with dubious views?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:33 - Nov 26 with 1517 viewsHerbivore

Calling for better male role models would carry more weight if his boss wasn't a known philanderer who calls gay men "tank topped bum boys" and who once conspired with an associate to have a journalist beaten up. He might want to look a little closer to home to see where we're lacking positive male role models.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:59 - Nov 26 with 1455 viewsHerbivore

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:27 - Nov 26 by Guthrum

Perhaps more male politicians should start providing positive role models, instead of a succession of weird/sleazy scumbags with dubious views?

Missed this before I posted. Couldn't agree more. It's a bit rich to be decrying TV not providing sufficient positive male role models when we have a bunch of self interested sociopaths running the country.

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:00 - Nov 26 with 1448 viewsDanTheMan

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:20 - Nov 26 by You_Bloo_Right

"He hasn’t said that young men are committing violent crime because Doctor Who has become a woman"

"In recent years we have seen Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, Luke Skywalker, the Equalizer all replaced by women, and men are left with the Krays and Tommy Shelby," the MP for Don Valley says. "Is there any wonder we are seeing so many young men committing crime?"

Left with the Krays?!

How about

Marcus Rashford
Brian Cox
Daniel Radcliffe
Ed Sheeran
Harry Styles ???

Idris Elba
Ralph Fiennes
Anthony Hopkins
Gary Oldman
Shaun Evans

I do find it rather funny that he's forgotten that very recently we've had an absolute explosion of super hero films, a lot of which have many morally good male heroes.

It's an absolute nonsense point, a few shows move away from the default of a male protagonist and they lose their minds.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:05 - Nov 26 with 1438 viewsthebooks

Sorry, but this is nonsense. He clearly hasn’t been misrepresented – he says word for word that it’s no wonder men turn to crime when roles such as Dr Who go to women.

The dude wants to stoke some form of culture war, like an unhealthy proportion of the Conservative Party, including Ipswich’s own MP. *That’s* dangerous, not Dr Who being a woman.

It’s all fiction. Why shouldn’t gender be examined? Or race, for that matter. By your argument James Bond will be forever white. All of this helps establish what is “normal” and “right”, and if that’s always middle class white men, it’s a problem.
Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:07 - Nov 26 with 1436 viewsHerbivore

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:00 - Nov 26 by DanTheMan

I do find it rather funny that he's forgotten that very recently we've had an absolute explosion of super hero films, a lot of which have many morally good male heroes.

It's an absolute nonsense point, a few shows move away from the default of a male protagonist and they lose their minds.

When you stop and think about it the idea that Dr Who and the Ghostbusters were ever strong male role models is really rather odd. His issue is women getting more representation generally, that's what this boils down to. It feels like a threat to him.

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:09 - Nov 26 with 1431 viewsSwansea_Blue

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:00 - Nov 26 by DanTheMan

He (I assume you mean the MP, rather than GB) seems to have a bit of a bee in his bonnet over this. I reckon he was rejected by the girls at school. The state of this just from his wiki entry:

Men's rights
During a debate on International Men's Day, Fletcher has blamed traditionally male roles being replaced by females for leaving boys with a lack of good role models and making them more likely to commit crimes. This was met with surprise by other members of the debate with the Chair believing that she must have misheard him and another member SNP's Gavin Newlands said he had sympathy with the viewpoint, but he added that first, "we need men in general to take responsibility for what men have done and continue to do" - including making misogynistic comments or committing violence against women. Speaking in the debate, he criticised the concept of International Men's Day altogether, calling it "a rather cruel joke concocted in response to feminism, women's rights and International Women's Day". Mr Fletcher challenged him, saying the government should be helping men be "proud to be men", rather than feeling "awful" about their gender. Fletcher also challenged the narrative of male privilege by listing statistics for men being more likely to commit suicide and making up the majority of prisoners in England.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fletcher_(politician)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:15 - Nov 26 with 1418 viewsHerbivore

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:09 - Nov 26 by Swansea_Blue

He (I assume you mean the MP, rather than GB) seems to have a bit of a bee in his bonnet over this. I reckon he was rejected by the girls at school. The state of this just from his wiki entry:

Men's rights
During a debate on International Men's Day, Fletcher has blamed traditionally male roles being replaced by females for leaving boys with a lack of good role models and making them more likely to commit crimes. This was met with surprise by other members of the debate with the Chair believing that she must have misheard him and another member SNP's Gavin Newlands said he had sympathy with the viewpoint, but he added that first, "we need men in general to take responsibility for what men have done and continue to do" - including making misogynistic comments or committing violence against women. Speaking in the debate, he criticised the concept of International Men's Day altogether, calling it "a rather cruel joke concocted in response to feminism, women's rights and International Women's Day". Mr Fletcher challenged him, saying the government should be helping men be "proud to be men", rather than feeling "awful" about their gender. Fletcher also challenged the narrative of male privilege by listing statistics for men being more likely to commit suicide and making up the majority of prisoners in England.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fletcher_(politician)

When you have always been in a position of privilege by virtue of your gender, race, sexuality, or social class it is increasingly evident that moves to equality feel like a threat. These individuals do not want to own that they've ever had these privileges and instead prefer to perpetuate a narrative where moves to equality are actually forms of discrimination against them. It's very All Lives Matter.

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:38 - Nov 26 with 1388 viewsXYZ

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:15 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

When you have always been in a position of privilege by virtue of your gender, race, sexuality, or social class it is increasingly evident that moves to equality feel like a threat. These individuals do not want to own that they've ever had these privileges and instead prefer to perpetuate a narrative where moves to equality are actually forms of discrimination against them. It's very All Lives Matter.

What's the All Lives Matter bunch's stance on refugees?
Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:52 - Nov 26 with 1372 viewsHerbivore

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:38 - Nov 26 by XYZ

What's the All Lives Matter bunch's stance on refugees?

Interestingly, it seems All Lives Matter comes with some caveats, one of which is that refugees lives don't matter all that much.

Female Dr Who = male crime on 10:00 - Nov 26 with 1351 viewsbluelagos

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Female Dr Who = male crime on 11:44 - Nov 26 with 1300 viewsGlasgowBlue

Female Dr Who = male crime on 09:05 - Nov 26 by thebooks

Sorry, but this is nonsense. He clearly hasn’t been misrepresented – he says word for word that it’s no wonder men turn to crime when roles such as Dr Who go to women.

The dude wants to stoke some form of culture war, like an unhealthy proportion of the Conservative Party, including Ipswich’s own MP. *That’s* dangerous, not Dr Who being a woman.

It’s all fiction. Why shouldn’t gender be examined? Or race, for that matter. By your argument James Bond will be forever white. All of this helps establish what is “normal” and “right”, and if that’s always middle class white men, it’s a problem.

Nope He blames the lack of positive male role models.

As for James Bond. Yes, he is a white British male born in Scotland. That is how he was written by Ian Fleming.

I'd personally welcome a franchise that stared a BAME, LBGT or female spy. So it's utter nonsense to suggest that keeping a white British male character white, British and male establishes the norm. It's who he is.

Luther, portrayed by Idris Elba, is black. We wouldn't suddenly cast Benedict Cumberbatch in the role.

The bloke may be an utter dick for all I know. And he's wrong to suggest that there are no positive male role models for young men to look up to. But he is not saying that having a female Dr Who turns men into violent crime.

Iron Lion Zion

Female Dr Who = male crime on 11:46 - Nov 26 with 1298 viewswkj

It's a ridiculous statement - without a doubt. However, not as ridiculous as the curtains in that chamber.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Female Dr Who = male crime on 11:56 - Nov 26 with 1281 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:20 - Nov 26 by You_Bloo_Right

Left with the Krays?!

How about

Marcus Rashford
Brian Cox
Daniel Radcliffe
Ed Sheeran
Harry Styles ???

Idris Elba
Ralph Fiennes
Anthony Hopkins
Gary Oldman
Shaun Evans

Gary Oldman shot JFK.
Idris Elba was the baddy in Star Trek
Anthony Hopkins eats people
Ralph Feinnes was the most dangerous wizard to walk the earth
Shaun Evans was a serial killer in Whitechapel

Its not great, I feel like committing a crime just watching them.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Female Dr Who = male crime on 15:51 - Nov 26 with 1178 viewsKropotkin123

You say you don't want to defend the bloke, but you did defend him and it was clear you wanted to by the effort you put into the post.

Being outside of the UK, I haven't seen this story, so I have no opinion either way. This is not an observation driven by the subject matter.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 15:53]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Female Dr Who = male crime on 17:40 - Nov 26 with 1130 viewsSeablu

Female Dr Who = male crime on 15:51 - Nov 26 by Kropotkin123

You say you don't want to defend the bloke, but you did defend him and it was clear you wanted to by the effort you put into the post.

Being outside of the UK, I haven't seen this story, so I have no opinion either way. This is not an observation driven by the subject matter.

A tory defending a tory, then pretending it knows nothing about said tory.
Textbook behaviour from the lad to be fair.
Female Dr Who = male crime on 22:46 - Nov 26 with 1077 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Female Dr Who = male crime on 08:08 - Nov 26 by BlueandTruesince82

This...he's used a a sledge hammer to crack his nuanced walnut but the point he was making is a fair one. Even in my day I was forced to look up to Gary and Tony from men behaving badly and Father Ted.

What's that got me? A drinking problem and penchant for hanging out in the lingerie section.

The money was just resting in my account BTW

Indeed. It is a good point but clumsily made. What he is really alluding to is what identity do males identify with?

There is a massive issue with male underachievement in education and this expert https://global.oup.com/education/content/primary/experts/gary-wilson/?region=uk has some notable research on some of what lies behind it. Much of it are subliminal cultural things like what the MP is referring to in saying positive male role models are being replaced with females. In one way it is harmless but the message that could be portrayed is that women are better than men and men are better suited to unsuccessful/darker roles. Clearly not the intention in changing these characters but the way we relate to role models is not entirely logically reasoned.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Female Dr Who = male crime on 22:54 - Nov 26 with 1054 viewsGlasgowBlue

Female Dr Who = male crime on 15:51 - Nov 26 by Kropotkin123

I’m sure people read what they want to read due to their own confirmation bias rather than what is written in the post.

I didn’t defend what he said. I made it perfectly clear that I disagree with his point that role models such as Tommy Shelby are the reason young men turn to violent crime.

I merely pointed out that what he is reported to have said, was not what he actually said. Men do not commit violent crime because the new doctor who has tits. And he never said that.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 22:55]

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024