Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, for once a serious post. 09:45 - Nov 26 with 967 viewsMattinLondon

I’m trying to become a bit more ethical in terms of what I buy and eat..will try to eat a lot less meat in the New Year.

Anyway, in terms of products and shops is there a reliable website that tells the consumer how ethical and socially aware is?

Thanks.
TWTD? (n/t) on 09:50 - Nov 26 with 919 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

So, for once a serious post. on 09:51 - Nov 26 with 919 viewsbluelagos

Sounds like you should have a read of "No Logo" - Naomi Klein. Having read that you'll probably go full on local in your shopping given the way big business conducts itself.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So, for once a serious post. on 09:52 - Nov 26 with 910 viewsWeWereZombies

I don't subscribe but Ethical Consumer seems to have a reasonable handle on things:

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/ethical-consumer-magazine

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

So, for once a serious post. on 09:54 - Nov 26 with 894 viewsMattinLondon

So, for once a serious post. on 09:51 - Nov 26 by bluelagos

Sounds like you should have a read of "No Logo" - Naomi Klein. Having read that you'll probably go full on local in your shopping given the way big business conducts itself.

Thanks for the book suggestion..I’ll look for it on Amazon…actually they are bad aren’t they.
So, for once a serious post. on 09:56 - Nov 26 with 879 viewsbluelagos

So, for once a serious post. on 09:54 - Nov 26 by MattinLondon

Thanks for the book suggestion..I’ll look for it on Amazon…actually they are bad aren’t they.

Am sure your local book shop will be able to find a copy.

Or (genuine offer) I'll post you mine for a fiver donation to the crimbo fundraiser :-) Pm if you want me to go that route.

Edit - or could easily handover Sunday at Portman Rd if you attend.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 9:57]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So, for once a serious post. on 09:57 - Nov 26 with 872 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have you tried The Betht of Ethexth? It lookth like a thiutable webthite.

https://bestofessex.com/

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So, for once a serious post. on 10:21 - Nov 26 with 820 viewsTJS

Buying wine from Australia and New Zealand generates 4 times more carbon than buying wine from Europe.
So, for once a serious post. on 10:24 - Nov 26 with 804 viewsSwansea_Blue

So, for once a serious post. on 10:21 - Nov 26 by TJS

Buying wine from Australia and New Zealand generates 4 times more carbon than buying wine from Europe.

And everyone knows that French wines are, generally, superior. If someone can't find wines they like from our nearest neighbour major winegrowing region, then they probably should stick to beer and cider.

Login to get fewer ads

So, for once a serious post. on 10:26 - Nov 26 with 801 viewsBloomBlue

Maybe stop using the internet as that is neither ethical or socially aware and instead get on your bicycle and go chat to local shop owners to find out where they source their goods and only shop with those who buy local, ethically etc etc
So, for once a serious post. on 10:33 - Nov 26 with 783 viewspositivity

So, for once a serious post. on 09:52 - Nov 26 by WeWereZombies

I don't subscribe but Ethical Consumer seems to have a reasonable handle on things:

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/ethical-consumer-magazine

ethical consumer is excellent.

gives companies scores on a range of issues, so if your primary concern is workers rights, climate change, animal cruelty, tax avoidance etc etc you can see how they do on that as well as an overall score

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

So, for once a serious post. on 10:36 - Nov 26 with 773 viewsLord_Lucan

So, for once a serious post. on 10:24 - Nov 26 by Swansea_Blue

And everyone knows that French wines are, generally, superior. If someone can't find wines they like from our nearest neighbour major winegrowing region, then they probably should stick to beer and cider.

What makes you think French wines are superior? I don't get it, give me a Spanish bottle of plonk any day of the week.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So, for once a serious post. on 10:47 - Nov 26 with 748 viewsSwansea_Blue

So, for once a serious post. on 10:36 - Nov 26 by Lord_Lucan

What makes you think French wines are superior? I don't get it, give me a Spanish bottle of plonk any day of the week.

I'm exceedingly partial to Rioja, but I was talking about French wines over Australian and NZ. You can easily find what you want from France instead of importing from the other side of the world. Spain would be a better option to in terms of air miles too. Not that there aren't some good wines from Aus/NZ of course. Some cracking whites and light reds from NZ in particular. Just that the french are well-renowned for producing top quality wines, and they're right next door.

So, for once a serious post. on 10:54 - Nov 26 with 724 viewsWeWereZombies

So, for once a serious post. on 10:47 - Nov 26 by Swansea_Blue

I'm exceedingly partial to Rioja, but I was talking about French wines over Australian and NZ. You can easily find what you want from France instead of importing from the other side of the world. Spain would be a better option to in terms of air miles too. Not that there aren't some good wines from Aus/NZ of course. Some cracking whites and light reds from NZ in particular. Just that the french are well-renowned for producing top quality wines, and they're right next door.

Mind you, if you are going to Bulgaria for a new set of teeth then could you not take in some wine tasting whilst you are there and bring your duty limit up to maximum with a few bottles?
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 10:56]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

So, for once a serious post. on 11:05 - Nov 26 with 713 viewsNthQldITFC

I think Ethical Consumer is great.

I think also that there's a lot of very convincing greenwashing 'information' out there as well, so you have to be dead careful about the bona fides of any source you look at, and I have certainly allowed myself to be misled by some of this in the past when under the enthusiastic lust for a new gadget etc..

So my guiding principle these days is to really challenge myself about everything I am considering buying, and then challenge myself again before I hit the 'buy' button, because literally nothing has a truly zero carbon footprint. This year's version, or a disposable fancy are ethically dreadful motivations.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

So, for once a serious post. on 11:38 - Nov 26 with 676 viewsLord_Lucan

So, for once a serious post. on 10:47 - Nov 26 by Swansea_Blue

I'm not really a white wine man but I did come across a cracking New Zealand white but I forget it's name. Oddly, the only pub I could find it in was Wetherspoons and I hate Wetherspoons.

The Chinese will be a major source before long, they are headhunting all the leading wine bods in Europe and paying them big money to move to China.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So, for once a serious post. on 15:00 - Nov 26 with 607 viewsBlueBadger

So, for once a serious post. on 10:36 - Nov 26 by Lord_Lucan

As an aside, Portuguese plonk is much underrated.

Although, generally a bit more pricey over here.

There you can get a drinkable bottle for about €3

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So, for once a serious post. on 17:42 - Nov 26 with 545 viewsazuremerlangus

So, for once a serious post. on 10:24 - Nov 26 by Swansea_Blue

Try some domestic wine instead of French imports, our sparkling wine is fantastic and worth a try over any Champagne.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

So, for once a serious post. on 22:06 - Nov 26 with 500 viewsHatStand

So

Poll: Piers Morgan / Marmite

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024