Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland and Rotherham games 12:04 - Nov 26 with 890 viewsquad

I've heard a lot said about how well we played at Sunderland and deserved to win. I've only watched it on iFollow but not sure I agree. We were clearly had more quality but we still created sod all chances apart from a couple of chances for Celina in the first half.

So for me there wasn't much difference in how we played in both the Sunderland and Rotherham games. We had most of the possession in both games but created sod all in both games too. I think we probably deserved a point against Sunderland at best, but the first goal was such poor defending. Keeper and 3 defenders all in a cluster together when the cross comes over and their player left completely unmarked. We're asking for trouble defending like that, not completely Walton's fault.

In summary the only difference between the games was that Sunderland were completely kack and had no attacking threat whereas Rotherham were very good and did have an attacking threat. That's the only difference for me, we were equally poor in both games.
Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:10 - Nov 26 with 842 viewsCheltenham_Blue

There is a lot of bashing of the side at the moment, and a good majority is fully vindicated. But we were better than Sunderland in huge swathes of that game. That Johnson called it 'Their best performance of the season', I know was met with derision amongst Sunderland fans.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we should have won that game 3 or 4 nil, but how we came out of it with nothing, was staggering.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:22 - Nov 26 with 819 viewsquad

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:10 - Nov 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

There is a lot of bashing of the side at the moment, and a good majority is fully vindicated. But we were better than Sunderland in huge swathes of that game. That Johnson called it 'Their best performance of the season', I know was met with derision amongst Sunderland fans.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we should have won that game 3 or 4 nil, but how we came out of it with nothing, was staggering.

I think we were very, very unlucky against Sunderland. But I wouldn't say it was staggering. We were clearly the much better side quality wise (which makes it even more frustrating), but we still created so few clear cut chances. Apart from when their keeper made a double save from Celina in the first half there was not a lot else. The other effort was powder puff. And we always run the risk of throwing games away because we defend so poorly from crosses, how can we allow O'Nien a free header when he's only 5ft 7" and he's got 3 defenders and the goalkeeper near him? It's staggering for me how we can be gifting goals like that.
Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:24 - Nov 26 with 806 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:22 - Nov 26 by quad

I think we were very, very unlucky against Sunderland. But I wouldn't say it was staggering. We were clearly the much better side quality wise (which makes it even more frustrating), but we still created so few clear cut chances. Apart from when their keeper made a double save from Celina in the first half there was not a lot else. The other effort was powder puff. And we always run the risk of throwing games away because we defend so poorly from crosses, how can we allow O'Nien a free header when he's only 5ft 7" and he's got 3 defenders and the goalkeeper near him? It's staggering for me how we can be gifting goals like that.

OK.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:49 - Nov 26 with 745 viewsquad

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:24 - Nov 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

OK.

Someone else said that in the Wycombe game we played Coulson/Edwards and KVY/Burns.

4-2-3-1 will work with those players because the full-backs will bomb on and pose a threat too. It's not going to work particularly well with Clements and Donacien as they don't push forward enough. And I wouldn't put Penney in the side cos I don't rate him and not just because of the goal he cost us against Plymouth. He's just ok and that's it.

In my opinion that's why we are not creating enough chances which is ultimately costing us a lot of points. Play 4-2-3-1 when Coulson and/or KVY are in the team. Otherwise Cook surely needs to change to the formation most suitable for the players he has available. Or buy new fullbacks in January but will probably be too late by then.
Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:52 - Nov 26 with 728 viewsRadlett_blue

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:22 - Nov 26 by quad

In every game, there are 2 teams out there. Sunderland were poor, but maybe because Town were good?
We were poor against Rotherham, but they were a well organised, effective unit. Sadly, this is where Town are right now. With a new manager & a raft of supposedly decent signings, most of us were expecting Town to be top 6 minimum by now, but we look upper mid table. Not sure if Cook has the answers or not.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:08 - Nov 26 with 675 viewsquad

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 12:52 - Nov 26 by Radlett_blue

In every game, there are 2 teams out there. Sunderland were poor, but maybe because Town were good?
We were poor against Rotherham, but they were a well organised, effective unit. Sadly, this is where Town are right now. With a new manager & a raft of supposedly decent signings, most of us were expecting Town to be top 6 minimum by now, but we look upper mid table. Not sure if Cook has the answers or not.

Sunderland were very poor. Ipswich were very good in terms of keeping possession and their general play but they still only created a couple of decent chances which is not very good. And this is the problem. Any team can be jammy and nick a goal at the end, which Sunderland did (the penalty doesn't count). The onus is on us to have more goal attempts.

I expected us to get beaten by Rotherham, sadly. They are the best team in the division.
Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:16 - Nov 26 with 641 viewsHerbivore

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:08 - Nov 26 by quad

Sunderland were very poor. Ipswich were very good in terms of keeping possession and their general play but they still only created a couple of decent chances which is not very good. And this is the problem. Any team can be jammy and nick a goal at the end, which Sunderland did (the penalty doesn't count). The onus is on us to have more goal attempts.

I expected us to get beaten by Rotherham, sadly. They are the best team in the division.

For all the talk about how much more exciting we are to watch, we're amongst the lowest in the division for total shots per game and shots on target per game. We've scored quite a few, but 14 of them came in just three matches and our scoring record is otherwise not great.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:24 - Nov 26 with 617 viewsMackemLad

You should have got at least a point from us. There’s something very very wrong right now with our club, and we have to get to January still with a chance of making automatics, and recruit. But here’s the thing - we’ve been awful now for 6 weeks. The only game we won was against Ipswich. We didn’t deserve to win, but we did. We should have lost to Shrewsbury mid week who were down to ten men. We lost to Mansfield at home. Rotherham and Wednesday smashed us and Charlton deservedly beat us. We are imploding- but we beat you.

I can’t say that Ipswich we’re any better than the teams I mentioned above in terms of quality. We are just that poor right now and if this run continues to Christmas, Johnson will be gone while we still have a shot at promotion. Harsh reality is I don’t think you were special at all. On the positive side for you, at least there’s a good chance for revenge at home soon against us - failing to beat us twice while we’re in this form will really be something to berate.
Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:25 - Nov 26 with 607 viewsquad

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:16 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

For all the talk about how much more exciting we are to watch, we're amongst the lowest in the division for total shots per game and shots on target per game. We've scored quite a few, but 14 of them came in just three matches and our scoring record is otherwise not great.

Didn't realise that. Quite depressing. If Bonne's goals continue to dry up we're going to be in really bad shape.
Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:40 - Nov 26 with 569 viewsquad

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:24 - Nov 26 by MackemLad

You should have got at least a point from us. There’s something very very wrong right now with our club, and we have to get to January still with a chance of making automatics, and recruit. But here’s the thing - we’ve been awful now for 6 weeks. The only game we won was against Ipswich. We didn’t deserve to win, but we did. We should have lost to Shrewsbury mid week who were down to ten men. We lost to Mansfield at home. Rotherham and Wednesday smashed us and Charlton deservedly beat us. We are imploding- but we beat you.

I can’t say that Ipswich we’re any better than the teams I mentioned above in terms of quality. We are just that poor right now and if this run continues to Christmas, Johnson will be gone while we still have a shot at promotion. Harsh reality is I don’t think you were special at all. On the positive side for you, at least there’s a good chance for revenge at home soon against us - failing to beat us twice while we’re in this form will really be something to berate.

That's what I've been trying to say. No offence, but we only looked good because you were that bad. But looking good doesn't win games, sticking the ball in the back of the net does and we created so few chances that we had to be a bit lucky to score and we didn't get that luck. We needed to create more before we can say we deserved to win.
Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:58 - Nov 26 with 526 viewsMackemLad

Sunderland and Rotherham games on 13:40 - Nov 26 by quad

That's what I've been trying to say. No offence, but we only looked good because you were that bad. But looking good doesn't win games, sticking the ball in the back of the net does and we created so few chances that we had to be a bit lucky to score and we didn't get that luck. We needed to create more before we can say we deserved to win.

No offence taken. We’re awful right now. 3/1 for Cambridge to beat us tomorrow is incredible value for anyone’s accas by the way. It should be closer to evens.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024