Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough 13:43 - Nov 26 with 3076 viewsStokieBlue

Certainly not a criticism of the government here, they moved as quickly as they could have but unfortunately the detection of new variants is always going to be laggy.

Cases in Israel from Malawi (not on the red list).

Cases in Belgium from Egypt (via Turkey) (not on the red list and no contact with red list countries).

Seems the cases are coming from routes well outside the defined source countries which I guess is to be expected.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 13:55 - Nov 26 with 1661 viewsRyorry

Simon Calder was on R5l this morning speaking from a UK airport & saying he'd seen 3 planes that had come directly from SA land, with all the passengers on board allowed to disperse over the UK without any quarantining, before the ban then kicked in.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 13:57 - Nov 26 with 1649 viewsEly_Blue

I don’t think you are going to stop it getting in, however I think we can reduce it spreading so quickly.

There are loopholes that need closing, for example listening to the cretin that is Jeremy Vine today he had a caller who was talking about her daughter who had just gone on honeymoon to SA and had only arrived 2 days ago, to avoid quarantine on return she had managed to find a flight out to Cairo at the weekend and back into the uk that way

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 13:57 - Nov 26 with 1630 viewsfooters

Yes, but I don't want to wear a mask or something. I dunno.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 13:59 - Nov 26 with 1615 viewsRyorry

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 13:57 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

I don’t think you are going to stop it getting in, however I think we can reduce it spreading so quickly.

There are loopholes that need closing, for example listening to the cretin that is Jeremy Vine today he had a caller who was talking about her daughter who had just gone on honeymoon to SA and had only arrived 2 days ago, to avoid quarantine on return she had managed to find a flight out to Cairo at the weekend and back into the uk that way

Some people are just criminally irresponsible. So depressing.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:01 - Nov 26 with 1604 viewsEly_Blue

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 13:59 - Nov 26 by Ryorry

Some people are just criminally irresponsible. So depressing.

I know, same thing when people were flooding in from India even when the direct flights were banned

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:02 - Nov 26 with 1587 viewsfactual_blue

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 13:57 - Nov 26 by footers

Yes, but I don't want to wear a mask or something. I dunno.

How many times have you been to Peppa Pig World?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:04 - Nov 26 with 1565 viewsfooters

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:02 - Nov 26 by factual_blue

How many times have you been to Peppa Pig World?

I prefer Lowestoft's Sparrow's Nest Park, complete with suicide bridge.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:09 - Nov 26 with 1532 viewsBlueBadger

Yes, but I have this article from An Allegedly Respectable Sciencist and a youtube video which I have cherry picked and misrepresented to show you all that getting jabbed is BAD.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 14:14]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:12 - Nov 26 with 1503 viewsunstableblue

I'm not seeing any research or scientific insight into this.

But surely if the population is immunised, transmission is reduced, symptoms are reduced, and hence the chances of mutation.

If this correlation is very clear it just makes one even angrier with anti-vaxxers, and critically (as Gordon Brown has been campaigning) the wealthier western nations need to start sending vaccines abroad, and letting them go out of date is criminal.

Apologies - I know this sounds a stupid question, but I am have been researching, and there is little narrative on this, as another reason to get vaccinated.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 14:13]

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:12 - Nov 26 with 1490 viewsStokieBlue

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:09 - Nov 26 by BlueBadger

Yes, but I have this article from An Allegedly Respectable Sciencist and a youtube video which I have cherry picked and misrepresented to show you all that getting jabbed is BAD.

I'm not sure this is particularly helpful from the WHO:

“At this point, implementing travel measures is being cautioned against,” Lindmeier told a UN briefing in Geneva. “The WHO recommends that countries continue to apply a risk-based and scientific approach when implementing travel measures.”

"It would take several weeks to determine the variant’s transmissibility and the effectiveness of vaccines and therapeutics against it"

Seems utterly ridiculous to say countries should wait weeks to determine the exact science behind the variant and then use that to decide whether to close borders. Horse and bolted spring to mind.

SB

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:15 - Nov 26 with 1453 viewspointofblue

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:12 - Nov 26 by StokieBlue

“At this point, implementing travel measures is being cautioned against,” Lindmeier told a UN briefing in Geneva. “The WHO recommends that countries continue to apply a risk-based and scientific approach when implementing travel measures.”

"It would take several weeks to determine the variant’s transmissibility and the effectiveness of vaccines and therapeutics against it"

Seems utterly ridiculous to say countries should wait weeks to determine the exact science behind the variant and then use that to decide whether to close borders. Horse and bolted spring to mind.

SB

I agree - surely the WHO should be promoting a more cautious approach? Maybe they fear countries won’t come forward with concerning data if the response is to recommend travel bans.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:15 - Nov 26 with 1448 viewshomer_123

Sadly no surprises!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:16 - Nov 26 with 1444 viewsBlueBadger

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:12 - Nov 26 by StokieBlue

SB

Are they now taking policy advice from the UK government?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:17 - Nov 26 with 1442 viewsStokieBlue

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:12 - Nov 26 by unstableblue

But surely if the population is immunised, transmission is reduced, symptoms are reduced, and hence the chances of mutation.

If this correlation is very clear it just makes one even angrier with anti-vaxxers, and critically (as Gordon Brown has been campaigning) the wealthier western nations need to start sending vaccines abroad, and letting them go out of date is criminal.

Apologies - I know this sounds a stupid question, but I am have been researching, and there is little narrative on this, as another reason to get vaccinated.

This is speculation but a theory being put forward is that this variant evolved in a person who had a weakened immune system, no vaccination and probably untreated HIV.

It would mean that the virus could continually optimise through random changes without having to fight off the immune system too much. There are two genetic changes which aren't usually seen together because they might not be stable but perhaps inside this patient the virus had long enough to find a combination of mutations where they are stable.

“It is difficult to know what to make of the carriage of both P681H and N679K. It is a combination we see only exceptionally rarely. I suspect it is generally not ‘stable’, but it might be so, in combination with other mutations/deletions,”

- Francois Balloux, UCL Genetics Institute.

SB

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:19 - Nov 26 with 1408 viewsunstableblue

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:09 - Nov 26 by BlueBadger

I have several former friends (and I mean former now) who are very well educated, and have gone down the rabbit hole into quite extreme 'Covid hoax' (or overstated risk) and anti-vaccination, and vaccine risk agendas

The issue is social media quite clearly... I am supporting a documentary on this... and if you take a couple of steps in, from the channels that you may receive your 'normal' information from, it is frightening how quickly you get to plausible 'experts' and rabid opinions

What I am struggling with is how to intelligent people, can not place greater value in peer review research and government agencies, and how they fail to then look into the efficacy of these false narratives and prophets.

Quick question BB, as I am collecting conspiracy and alarmism examples - what was the summary of the false narrative from the deleted thread yesterday that I missed (without raking it up again of course, with Phil in mind)

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:19 - Nov 26 with 1405 viewspointofblue

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:16 - Nov 26 by BlueBadger

Are they now taking policy advice from the UK government?

A worrying development when the U.K. government is more pro-active than the WHO.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:21 - Nov 26 with 1402 viewsGuthrum

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:12 - Nov 26 by unstableblue

The smaller the pool of infected people and the harder it is for the virus to spread to others, mathematically there will be fewer mutations (copying errors in the RNA chain). Less copying, fewer chances of an error resulting in changes which make the virus more dangerous. Simple as that.

Vaccination reduces the chances of catching the disease, the severity of symptoms and the rate at which it's passed on.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:24 - Nov 26 with 1386 viewsBlueBadger

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:19 - Nov 26 by unstableblue

I have several former friends (and I mean former now) who are very well educated, and have gone down the rabbit hole into quite extreme 'Covid hoax' (or overstated risk) and anti-vaccination, and vaccine risk agendas

The issue is social media quite clearly... I am supporting a documentary on this... and if you take a couple of steps in, from the channels that you may receive your 'normal' information from, it is frightening how quickly you get to plausible 'experts' and rabid opinions

What I am struggling with is how to intelligent people, can not place greater value in peer review research and government agencies, and how they fail to then look into the efficacy of these false narratives and prophets.

Quick question BB, as I am collecting conspiracy and alarmism examples - what was the summary of the false narrative from the deleted thread yesterday that I missed (without raking it up again of course, with Phil in mind)

'Japan have eliminated covid because it has mutated itself out of existence'.

Spoiler alert : Japan have low covid rates because they have an impressively high vaccination rate and a strong adherence to masking and social distancing still.

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:26 - Nov 26 with 1365 viewsunstableblue

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:17 - Nov 26 by StokieBlue

This is speculation but a theory being put forward is that this variant evolved in a person who had a weakened immune system, no vaccination and probably untreated HIV.

It would mean that the virus could continually optimise through random changes without having to fight off the immune system too much. There are two genetic changes which aren't usually seen together because they might not be stable but perhaps inside this patient the virus had long enough to find a combination of mutations where they are stable.

“It is difficult to know what to make of the carriage of both P681H and N679K. It is a combination we see only exceptionally rarely. I suspect it is generally not ‘stable’, but it might be so, in combination with other mutations/deletions,”

SB

What I have found most surprising about the Covid pandemic has been the lack of impetus globally - in government, media - to prepare for and negate a serious mutation of CV19 to a form that is more virulent (and transmissible)

And in parallel a huge global effort to remove risks and scenarios that would lead to another virus leading that can lead to a pandemic - for example stopping the critical factors (societal, economic, geographic) causing African population to rely more on bush meat for protein (linked to international fishing on the west coast of Africa for example) or a stringent change in wet markets in ALL of Asia.

https://theconversation.com/bushmeat-could-cause-the-next-global-pandemic-136657

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:29 - Nov 26 with 1330 viewshype313

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:17 - Nov 26 by StokieBlue

SB

Read earlier that the transmission rate is far quicker than the Delta variant, the question will be how serious the symptoms could be, if worse, and vaccine resistant then batten down the hatches as we will be facing another strict lockdown.

Lets hope that it will just be more virulent, rather than dangerous.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:31 - Nov 26 with 1315 viewsGuthrum

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:26 - Nov 26 by unstableblue

What I have found most surprising about the Covid pandemic has been the lack of impetus globally - in government, media - to prepare for and negate a serious mutation of CV19 to a form that is more virulent (and transmissible)

And in parallel a huge global effort to remove risks and scenarios that would lead to another virus leading that can lead to a pandemic - for example stopping the critical factors (societal, economic, geographic) causing African population to rely more on bush meat for protein (linked to international fishing on the west coast of Africa for example) or a stringent change in wet markets in ALL of Asia.

https://theconversation.com/bushmeat-could-cause-the-next-global-pandemic-136657

All of these things cost money and nobody wants to pay for it (see also: Climate Change). The poor countries can't afford it and the rich ones won't unless it has a direct and immediate benefit for them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:36 - Nov 26 with 1278 viewsStokieBlue

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:29 - Nov 26 by hype313

Read earlier that the transmission rate is far quicker than the Delta variant, the question will be how serious the symptoms could be, if worse, and vaccine resistant then batten down the hatches as we will be facing another strict lockdown.

Lets hope that it will just be more virulent, rather than dangerous.

Indeed, fingers crossed it's just more transmissible and the vaccines still work. The R in the Johannesburg region is >2 at the moment even with mask wearing etc.

The real worry is that the spike protein doesn't look enough like the original C19 spike protein for the immune system to recognise it and know what to do. I think that's what has mainly got the scientists spooked.

More easily transmissible is bad but not as bad as the above.

We simply won't know for a while.

SB

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:45 - Nov 26 with 1214 viewshomer_123

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:36 - Nov 26 by StokieBlue

Indeed, fingers crossed it's just more transmissible and the vaccines still work. The R in the Johannesburg region is >2 at the moment even with mask wearing etc.

The real worry is that the spike protein doesn't look enough like the original C19 spike protein for the immune system to recognise it and know what to do. I think that's what has mainly got the scientists spooked.

More easily transmissible is bad but not as bad as the above.

We simply won't know for a while.

SB

Without wanting to underplay this. Mutations are expected and normal - so in this regard what we are seeing is to be expected. In addition, there was also a relatively high probability that eventually it would mutate to a point where 'current' vaccines aren't effective.

As you say, there are many unknowns with this one and it does appear to be a bit of a bad mix, it's rare but not completely unseen.

I can't quite get my head around WHO suggesting that travel restrictions should be avoided - just can't square that - unless I'm missing something here?

Hopefully the current vaccines can be tweaked/ amended to fight this variant as well.

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:48 - Nov 26 with 1193 viewshomer_123

How effective would a well immunised population be in restricting mutations? on 14:26 - Nov 26 by unstableblue

I'm not - it's almost impossible to get collective global agreement on anything.

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:49 - Nov 26 with 1183 viewshomer_123

Unfortunately it's looking like the red listing wasn't enough on 14:24 - Nov 26 by BlueBadger

'Japan have eliminated covid because it has mutated itself out of existence'.

Spoiler alert : Japan have low covid rates because they have an impressively high vaccination rate and a strong adherence to masking and social distancing still.

But are you sure about that Badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024