Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong 08:52 - Nov 27 with 3116 viewshomer_123

"Clearly we're in different times now," Vaughan said.

"That was three years ago - that's how much times have moved on in the three years."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59432187

And he states he never said anything racist....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:10 - Nov 27 with 2119 viewsHerbivore

I don't think that interview has done him any favours.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:24 - Nov 27 with 2082 viewschicoazul

To your specific bit; he’s not wrong though is he. The world seems to me, as a comfy middle class white guy, typical TWTD in fact, to have changed an enormous amount in the last few years in terms of us whiteys realising what harm directly and indirectly we have done and do to our fellow man. This is a good thing. It’s good that people like me have to struggle with and confront our language and prejudices and unconscious biases. I think Vaughan is a prick and I have for a long time but I think he is right specifically about how the world has changed.
Of course the real problem in this country, the ultimate barrier to change and discourse and progress, is public schoolboys. Wherever they are found be it sport the City politics the arts or the institutions they bring with them their back scratching born to rule Daddy knows best idiotic ways.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:43 - Nov 27 with 2007 viewsFelstow1978

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:24 - Nov 27 by chicoazul

To your specific bit; he’s not wrong though is he. The world seems to me, as a comfy middle class white guy, typical TWTD in fact, to have changed an enormous amount in the last few years in terms of us whiteys realising what harm directly and indirectly we have done and do to our fellow man. This is a good thing. It’s good that people like me have to struggle with and confront our language and prejudices and unconscious biases. I think Vaughan is a prick and I have for a long time but I think he is right specifically about how the world has changed.
Of course the real problem in this country, the ultimate barrier to change and discourse and progress, is public schoolboys. Wherever they are found be it sport the City politics the arts or the institutions they bring with them their back scratching born to rule Daddy knows best idiotic ways.

So "whiteys" isn't a racist term, then?

Poll: Isn't it time that HRH Shesgotmyballsinherhand stops feeling the need to preach?

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:48 - Nov 27 with 1992 viewsHerbivore

I really can't agree that the world has changed that much in 3 or 4 years, Chico. It's a bit of a cop out to be honest. What's changed for Vaughan is that he's been called out on his past behaviour, what he's said in the past was out of order in the context of the time that he said it.

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:49 - Nov 27 with 1985 viewsJ2BLUE

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:43 - Nov 27 by Felstow1978

Are you offended by it?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:03 - Nov 27 with 1915 viewsgiant_stow

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:48 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

I really can't agree that the world has changed that much in 3 or 4 years, Chico. It's a bit of a cop out to be honest. What's changed for Vaughan is that he's been called out on his past behaviour, what he's said in the past was out of order in the context of the time that he said it.

I don;t know if the worlds changed much in terms of race in the last few years, but it certainly has in terms of the gender/trans debate, although that's a separate thread I spose.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:04 - Nov 27 with 1919 viewsJakeITFC

Vaughan is an unequivocal dickhead, and using that excuse to get out of the tweets he sent - which were far from one offs, is risible.

That being said, I still don’t feel comfortable with the public shaming of people for things they may have said years ago. Really is tricky ground for me to open cans of worms like that.
No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:08 - Nov 27 with 1892 viewsBlueBadger

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:04 - Nov 27 by JakeITFC

Vaughan is an unequivocal dickhead, and using that excuse to get out of the tweets he sent - which were far from one offs, is risible.

That being said, I still don’t feel comfortable with the public shaming of people for things they may have said years ago. Really is tricky ground for me to open cans of worms like that.

It wasn't a 'different time' it was literally three years in the case of some of it, this kind of behaviour in the workplace has been unacceptable for over 20 years now.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 10:10]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:12 - Nov 27 with 1872 viewsGuthrum

On a side note, not all us public schoolboys are like that. Certainly never had my back scratched through having been to one. Mind you, that wasn't Eton.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:20 - Nov 27 with 1832 viewsBlueBadger

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:43 - Nov 27 by Felstow1978

Oh man, if you think that's bad wait until you hear about systematic failures and biases leading to poorer outcomes in everything from health to employment prospects to premature death rates!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:44 - Nov 27 with 1758 viewsJakeITFC

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:08 - Nov 27 by BlueBadger

It wasn't a 'different time' it was literally three years in the case of some of it, this kind of behaviour in the workplace has been unacceptable for over 20 years now.

I didn’t say it was a different time.
No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:54 - Nov 27 with 1740 viewsZx1988

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:10 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

Massive shades of the Prince ̶N̶o̶n̶c̶e̶ Andrew interview about the entire thing.

I was half expecting him to explain that he'd been hit by a bouncer in the early 90s which had rendered him medically incapable of being racist.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 11:16 - Nov 27 with 1700 viewstractordownsouth

I think if he'd said this stuff 20+ years ago when things were a bit different, Vaughan might have a case. Likewise, if it was just one example where he misspoke a little and then apologised, rather than numerous instances of questionable comments, I don't think people would be going after him.

I'm all for helping people evolve with the times and it's true that sometimes people will accidentally use a term that's now offensive that wasn't a few years ago, but I don't think that gives Vaughan an excuse, given the number of times he's been found to make unacceptable remarks.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 11:27 - Nov 27 with 1677 viewsEastTownBlue

Agree as he is only about 18 months older than me that is an appalling excuse.
No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 11:53 - Nov 27 with 1620 viewschicoazul

Remember how many times people on here would talk about football violence and you would always come up with the same old homophobic tropes?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 11:55 - Nov 27 with 1605 viewschicoazul

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:48 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

I don’t disagree that racist ideology and commentary is just that, whether it’s 3 years ago or 300. But the world has undeniably changed in terms of what is considered banter for eg, and what isn’t.

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 11:56 - Nov 27 with 1603 viewschicoazul

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:12 - Nov 27 by Guthrum

On a side note, not all us public schoolboys are like that. Certainly never had my back scratched through having been to one. Mind you, that wasn't Eton.

“Not all men”

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:17 - Nov 27 with 1522 viewsHerbivore

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 11:55 - Nov 27 by chicoazul

I don’t disagree that racist ideology and commentary is just that, whether it’s 3 years ago or 300. But the world has undeniably changed in terms of what is considered banter for eg, and what isn’t.

In 3 years? I disagree.

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:19 - Nov 27 with 1504 viewsJ2BLUE

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:17 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

In 3 years? I disagree.

It does speed up by the year IMO. Obviously no bad thing when driving out racism.

Truly impaired.

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:20 - Nov 27 with 1481 viewsJ2BLUE

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 10:03 - Nov 27 by giant_stow

I don;t know if the worlds changed much in terms of race in the last few years, but it certainly has in terms of the gender/trans debate, although that's a separate thread I spose.

Agree

Truly impaired.

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:26 - Nov 27 with 1440 viewsclive_baker

What a cop out. Not having that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:27 - Nov 27 with 1429 viewsBlueBadger

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 11:53 - Nov 27 by chicoazul

Remember how many times people on here would talk about football violence and you would always come up with the same old homophobic tropes?

Righto, Roger Irrelevant.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 12:28]

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:29 - Nov 27 with 1412 viewsElderGrizzly

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 09:10 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

Whoever advised him that this was his approach to an apology needs to be fired you’d suggest.

There is enough in his public tweets to make you believe he did do what he has been accused of, no matter how much it is wrapped up in ‘bantz’ type excuses
No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:30 - Nov 27 with 1390 viewsJ2BLUE

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:29 - Nov 27 by ElderGrizzly

Whoever advised him that this was his approach to an apology needs to be fired you’d suggest.

There is enough in his public tweets to make you believe he did do what he has been accused of, no matter how much it is wrapped up in ‘bantz’ type excuses

This is why public apologies are so pointless. They get told what to say and repeat it back. That is not genuine remorse.

Truly impaired.

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:34 - Nov 27 with 1368 viewschicoazul

No Micheal Vaughan...you are wholly wrong on 12:27 - Nov 27 by BlueBadger

Righto, Roger Irrelevant.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 12:28]

Not at all. You thinking it’s funny to accuse football hooligans of maybe being gay and then thinking it’s irrelevant you’re called out on it, is exactly the sort of behaviours this thread is talking about. We can only hope you stop and think again now before you do it in future.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024