Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Arrythmia 19:32 - Nov 28 with 1262 viewsZapers

Has anyone on TWTD been diagnosed with Arrythmia? I have and I was wondering if medications work well enough to overcome the problem.
Arrythmia on 19:34 - Nov 28 with 1234 viewsfooters

Probably best to speak to a doctor and not an internet messageboard.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Arrythmia on 19:45 - Nov 28 with 1184 viewsZapers

I was more interested in the long term effects of being on medication. Of course I have seen a cardiologist, I have been in and out of hospital several times. In no way am i likely to rely on a messageboard for something as serious!
Arrythmia on 19:49 - Nov 28 with 1156 viewsjeera

Arrythmia on 19:45 - Nov 28 by Zapers

I was more interested in the long term effects of being on medication. Of course I have seen a cardiologist, I have been in and out of hospital several times. In no way am i likely to rely on a messageboard for something as serious!

You'd be surprised, it has happened!

Probably something to ask during the week as this might get lost before one of the right oldies gets to see it and share their experiences.

Sometime after This Morning but before Countdown.

I have had problems with palpitations etc in the past and found Propranolol to be remarkably effective. However that's probably no use to you.

Don't blame you for wanting to do some research but, in truth, I have found my local pharmacy to be the most informative on these things, more so than the doctors handing out the prescriptions sometimes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Arrythmia on 19:51 - Nov 28 with 1144 viewsZapers

Thanks Jeera. I take your advice and in future will not post on matchday!
Arrythmia on 20:01 - Nov 28 with 1123 viewsnoggin

What is the arrhythmia?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Arrythmia on 20:03 - Nov 28 with 1112 viewsgainsboroughblue

Arrythmia on 20:01 - Nov 28 by noggin

What is the arrhythmia?

Heart rhythm irregularity at a guess from trying to translate the word from (presumably) latin.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Arrythmia on 20:03 - Nov 28 with 1108 viewsZapers

Is an irregular heartbeat.
Arrythmia on 20:11 - Nov 28 with 1083 viewsfooters

Arrythmia on 20:03 - Nov 28 by gainsboroughblue

Heart rhythm irregularity at a guess from trying to translate the word from (presumably) latin.

Nogs is a paramedic so think he just wanted to determine a specific type if possible.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Arrythmia on 20:13 - Nov 28 with 1074 viewsjeera

Arrythmia on 20:11 - Nov 28 by footers

Nogs is a paramedic so think he just wanted to determine a specific type if possible.

That's what I was going with.

Then again, they're a healthy lot those Norwegians aren't they and possibly don't get these things over there.

All that blubber they eat, oh, bit like our traditional lard on bread thing.

Damn, we really are going wrong with our crunchy carrots angle clearly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Arrythmia on 19:51 - Nov 29 with 902 viewsRyorry

I had it (SVT, similar to the one Tony Blair had) for around 30 years. Not bad at first, only lasted a few secs & always went away if I lay down for a minute.

Was on daily Bisoprolol Fumarate, no side effects apart from increased tiredness.

The episodes went on to be so bad & so frequent, at such inconvenient times tho (like walking the dog on my own!), with such shortness of breath that it was a complete "stopper" & I couldn't even walk a few steps. Went to GP who put me on a 24-hr heart monitor which clocked it, & hospital then followed up with an ablation procedure almost 2 yrs ago, which I'm happy to say was 95% successful.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Arrythmia on 19:57 - Nov 29 with 885 viewsazuremerlangus

Isn’t that where Joseph (Jesus’s dad) was from?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Arrythmia on 20:11 - Nov 29 with 857 viewsronnyd

Arrythmia on 19:51 - Nov 29 by Ryorry

I had it (SVT, similar to the one Tony Blair had) for around 30 years. Not bad at first, only lasted a few secs & always went away if I lay down for a minute.

Was on daily Bisoprolol Fumarate, no side effects apart from increased tiredness.

The episodes went on to be so bad & so frequent, at such inconvenient times tho (like walking the dog on my own!), with such shortness of breath that it was a complete "stopper" & I couldn't even walk a few steps. Went to GP who put me on a 24-hr heart monitor which clocked it, & hospital then followed up with an ablation procedure almost 2 yrs ago, which I'm happy to say was 95% successful.

I've had two catheter ablations, the first worked only for a short while, the second fixed the atrial fibrillation for about four years. A/F came back last year and now back on medication. Bisoprolol, Amlodipine, Lisinopril and blood thinners, so far, so good.
Arrythmia on 18:19 - Nov 30 with 738 viewsZapers

Arrythmia on 19:51 - Nov 29 by Ryorry

Thanks Ryorry and all those that responded. I actually entered hospital with pneumonia, came out with arrythmia!

Anyway i live in France but i guess the medication is similar. The cardiologist thinks i've been having this irregular heart beat for some time. The big danger as i understand it is having a stroke, hence the blood thinners.

I feel pretty good most of the time. I've had electric shock treatment but it didn't work. Ablation procedure has been suggested but the cardiologist says it is only successful in about 80% of people and carries some risks.

I don't like taking medication but in order to have any quality of life it seems to be the only answer.
Arrythmia on 19:32 - Nov 30 with 682 viewsRyorry

Arrythmia on 18:19 - Nov 30 by Zapers

Thanks Ryorry and all those that responded. I actually entered hospital with pneumonia, came out with arrythmia!

Anyway i live in France but i guess the medication is similar. The cardiologist thinks i've been having this irregular heart beat for some time. The big danger as i understand it is having a stroke, hence the blood thinners.

I feel pretty good most of the time. I've had electric shock treatment but it didn't work. Ablation procedure has been suggested but the cardiologist says it is only successful in about 80% of people and carries some risks.

I don't like taking medication but in order to have any quality of life it seems to be the only answer.

No problem, and sorry indeed to hear that.

Can only say that the consultant I saw at Leeds General Infirmary (which has a fairly new, large, impressive cardiology unit) told me the success rate for the procedure was 95%, & if I was one of the 5% who it didn't work for first time, it could be re-done. After that it'd be a pacemaker job.

I'm no medic, & as a couple on here have pointed out there are different types of arrhythmia so perhaps success rates depend on which type, but might it be worthwhile you returning to the UK to get a NHS second opinion?

Edited to add - I shouldn't have omitted to say that yes, the procedure does carry some risk & I was warned about that too.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 19:35]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Arrythmia on 19:56 - Nov 30 with 655 viewsnoggin

Arrythmia on 18:19 - Nov 30 by Zapers

Stroke is indeed a very real danger with atrial fibrillation. You definitely should take the meds. Just be very careful to avoid injury, especially trauma to the head. Those meds are designed to prevent your blood from clotting easily and so bleeding on the brain can quickly be fatal. Millions of people live very normal lives with atrial fibrillation so don't stress about it.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 19:58]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Arrythmia on 20:06 - Nov 30 with 623 viewsZapers

Arrythmia on 19:56 - Nov 30 by noggin

Stroke is indeed a very real danger with atrial fibrillation. You definitely should take the meds. Just be very careful to avoid injury, especially trauma to the head. Those meds are designed to prevent your blood from clotting easily and so bleeding on the brain can quickly be fatal. Millions of people live very normal lives with atrial fibrillation so don't stress about it.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 19:58]

Thank you Noggin. Not always easy when living in a foreign country to full understand the language. Anyway I feel good so i'm very grateful for all the help, medical and otherwise.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024