Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Buying gold and silver 23:01 - Nov 28 with 1502 viewssuffolkpoker

Looking to buy some gold and silver bars, to diversify my portfolio.
Where is the best place to buy it? I’m UK.
Seen royal mint.com but looking for recommendations.

Thanks x

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Buying gold and silver on 23:15 - Nov 28 with 1453 viewsJ2BLUE

Not giving advice but if it was me I would just buy sovereigns. The physical silver price is so disconnected from the spot price. The premiums are high and then there's VAT on most of it. Sovereigns probably the best value for your money.

If you're set on silver, I love the quality of these: https://www.bairdmint.com/products/1oz-silver-perigrine Unlike sovereigns they are not CGT exempt though.

Edit: Thought the price included VAT. I wouldn't bother with the silver.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 23:17]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Buying gold and silver on 10:14 - Nov 29 with 1289 viewsmidastouch

https://www.silver-to-go.com/en/

Silver Britannia coins might be capital gains exempt but you need to look into that properly as I'm rusty with my knowledge on precious metals.

https://www.silver-to-go.com/en/silver-coins/britannia/

Happy stacking!

Cheers

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Buying gold and silver on 11:23 - Nov 29 with 1232 viewsDurovigutum

There are ways to do this within the wrapper of an ISA or your pension, for example

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/factsheet-data/factsheet/GB00B1XFGM25-ninety-one-glob

Always do your own research.
Buying gold and silver on 13:35 - Nov 29 with 1173 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not sure you'll get the best advice on here - but it entirely depends on how much you're thinking of investing - and what you mean by 'diversifying'. If you have a private pension there are ways and means of 'diversifying' with tax advantages.

IF you have some spare cash to seek alternative investments you could do worse than look at wine and whisky. In my humble opinion both would do far better than bullion - and if you've got 'four figures' to invest a classic car is nigh on a bullet-proof investment

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Buying gold and silver on 13:42 - Nov 29 with 1154 viewslowhouseblue

wanting exposure to gold is fine - but I don't understand why someone would buy bullion rather than a physically back gold fund?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Buying gold and silver on 13:54 - Nov 29 with 1118 viewsElephantintheRoom

Buying gold and silver on 13:42 - Nov 29 by lowhouseblue

wanting exposure to gold is fine - but I don't understand why someone would buy bullion rather than a physically back gold fund?

A fund carries the high cost of incompetent and lazy fund managemant. Buying a lump of gold takes that huge cost out of the question.

And you can bury it

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Buying gold and silver on 14:02 - Nov 29 with 1097 viewslowhouseblue

Buying gold and silver on 13:54 - Nov 29 by ElephantintheRoom

A fund carries the high cost of incompetent and lazy fund managemant. Buying a lump of gold takes that huge cost out of the question.

And you can bury it

and when you buy and sell bullion you pay a margin.

the management cost on a fund often isn't high and deals with storage and insurance etc.

but if you want to bury it then fine.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Buying gold and silver on 14:06 - Nov 29 with 1086 viewsbriun

I speak as a silversmith for the last 50 years , the difference between the spot price when you buy and sell is the thing to watch out for , it also depends how much your buying in kg if it’s just a small amount you may be better off buying coins if it’s a lot try the bullion dealers Thessco ,Metalor, Cooksons see if they sell marked ingots a kg each , have you thought of good antiques by a good maker or having something made then you have the pleasure of looking at it and using it not just sticking it under the bed
Login to get fewer ads

Buying gold and silver on 14:58 - Nov 29 with 1020 viewsRyorry

I both bought & sold a couple of bars of gold & silver, plus a few coins, about 10 years ago through Bullion By Post, and was very happy with their prices and customer service.

They're still going and apparently have a Black Friday sale still on, but as someone else said, you need to do your own checks 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Buying gold and silver on 21:03 - Nov 29 with 914 viewssuffolkpoker

Buying gold and silver on 13:35 - Nov 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Not sure you'll get the best advice on here - but it entirely depends on how much you're thinking of investing - and what you mean by 'diversifying'. If you have a private pension there are ways and means of 'diversifying' with tax advantages.

IF you have some spare cash to seek alternative investments you could do worse than look at wine and whisky. In my humble opinion both would do far better than bullion - and if you've got 'four figures' to invest a classic car is nigh on a bullet-proof investment

I’m a motor guy by heart and just a bit of a trader with stuff.
My portfolio is quite mixed from retro cars, land, buy to let, crypto etc I always fancied some bullion but wasn’t sure if stacked up long term and who to buy it from.

Thanks for the replies I will look into the suggestions.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024