Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Four home wins 09:18 - Nov 29 with 1961 viewsHerbivore

To put some context around our home form, our four home wins have come against sides with a combined away record this season of played 40, won 1, drawn 10, lost 29. We've been unconvincing in putting three of those sides away and haven't beaten anyone of note at PR as yet. We really need a big upturn to happen very quickly if this season is going to be salvaged. It's hard to see where that upturn will come from at the moment, our last 2 performances have been about as poor as we've been at any point this season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Four home wins on 09:24 - Nov 29 with 1701 viewsN2_Blue

but that goes against the agenda of those saying everything is ok so you will be down voted.

Some of us have our eyes open and can see the bigger picture that we have huge issues which is why we are mid-table and some are just eternal optimists whatever is put in front of them.

This season has been woeful thus far and not much else to be said really. We are far better than the bottom half of this division but get found out when we play teams with any sort of quality or competent management.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Four home wins on 09:29 - Nov 29 with 1671 viewstownblue

Never going to happen but I think it's definitely time to have a mix up with the system. Might give the opposition something to think about for a change.

Never been a huge fan of 352 but think it would suit some of our players and hopefully sure things up.
Four home wins on 09:37 - Nov 29 with 1638 viewsHerbivore

Four home wins on 09:29 - Nov 29 by townblue

Never going to happen but I think it's definitely time to have a mix up with the system. Might give the opposition something to think about for a change.

Never been a huge fan of 352 but think it would suit some of our players and hopefully sure things up.

Not a fan of 3-5-2 with this squad to be honest. It leaves no room for the likes of Edwards, Celina, Chaplin and Aluko. We only have Burgess to play on the left of the back three really and he's not good on the ball, and I honestly don't even know who would play left wing back for us at the minute.

I'm not sure a change of formation is likely to help at this point. We look disjointed enough as it is without starting to experiment with a different way of playing. Ultimately we need to be better than we are currently but the worry is we don't seem to be improving or becoming more cohesive as a team. That's a big problem, but I don't think it's one we can easily fix by changing formation.

Four home wins on 09:44 - Nov 29 with 1613 viewsGuthrum

That is the biggest concern. The fact that most of our victories overall (with only a couple of notable exceptions, both away) have come against the weaker teams now at the bottom of the table.

Now, admittedly, we played a lot of the currently mid-table teams in those first six games, when things really were not working. But even since then, our record against current top-half teams is patchy, W2 D2 L3.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Four home wins on 09:45 - Nov 29 with 1601 viewstownblue

Four home wins on 09:37 - Nov 29 by Herbivore

Not a fan of 3-5-2 with this squad to be honest. It leaves no room for the likes of Edwards, Celina, Chaplin and Aluko. We only have Burgess to play on the left of the back three really and he's not good on the ball, and I honestly don't even know who would play left wing back for us at the minute.

I'm not sure a change of formation is likely to help at this point. We look disjointed enough as it is without starting to experiment with a different way of playing. Ultimately we need to be better than we are currently but the worry is we don't seem to be improving or becoming more cohesive as a team. That's a big problem, but I don't think it's one we can easily fix by changing formation.

Edmundson has been our preferred LCB so wouldn't change that and would have someone else in the middle.

Would need to make a decision on one of those 4 to play an advanced midfield role, probably Chaplin for me with the option of Celina. Edwards hasn't done enough for me so wouldn't be worried about trying to fit him in.

Left back/wing back has been an issue regardless of system.

Would also give Pigott a chance as currently Bonne is going to keep him out every game.

I just like the idea of being able to try something different if the current plan isn't working.

As you say though, very unlikely to happen.
Four home wins on 09:47 - Nov 29 with 1587 viewsNeedhamChris

Four home wins on 09:37 - Nov 29 by Herbivore

Edmundson prefers to play on the left side, so I think it could work there with him, Nsiala and Woolfenden (only because Burgess isn't a ball player as you say)

However - I agree with you it's not ideal for Cook to change it now. I think we're too far down the rabbit hole - it's either Cook succeeds with his current approach or we get a new manager in to do something different.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Four home wins on 09:48 - Nov 29 with 1564 viewsDMDC

You are correct. But there wont be an upsurge. The manager only has a plan A,well, lm not sure he even has that. He talks a good game,but thats where it ends. He cant get a team organised at this level,so no way would he a league higher. Im waiting for his departure,which will happen lm sure, because he is way off where we should be. Ive accepted that this season is over and that we will be stuck here for a 4th season.
Four home wins on 09:49 - Nov 29 with 1559 viewsWickets

Sad but true and of course we have been less than convincing in the Cup games as well . Wednsday night is a chance to start putting it right .
[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 9:52]
Login to get fewer ads

Four home wins on 09:53 - Nov 29 with 1535 viewsHerbivore

Four home wins on 09:45 - Nov 29 by townblue

Edmundson has been our preferred LCB so wouldn't change that and would have someone else in the middle.

Would need to make a decision on one of those 4 to play an advanced midfield role, probably Chaplin for me with the option of Celina. Edwards hasn't done enough for me so wouldn't be worried about trying to fit him in.

Left back/wing back has been an issue regardless of system.

Would also give Pigott a chance as currently Bonne is going to keep him out every game.

I just like the idea of being able to try something different if the current plan isn't working.

As you say though, very unlikely to happen.

There's a difference between playing on the left in a CB pairing and in a back 3 though and I don't fancy Edmundson in that role. He's okay on the ball but I don't see him carrying the ball out much and not being a natural left footer it'd leave the back 3 unbalanced. For me he'd be the man in the centre if we did go 3 at the back. Woolfenden could play on the right but is totally out of favour. Donacien another option there maybe. For me the squad we have though, the players have been signed to play a 4-2-3-1 and I don't think they are better suited to 3-5-2. If they can't thrive in the system they were signed to play in I'm not sure they'd do any better in an unfamiliar system.

Four home wins on 10:29 - Nov 29 with 1452 viewsWilbrahamBlue

The first half really wasn't as poor as that.

Its interesting that last week people pull out the big wins we've had this season (doncaster, pompey, wycombe) as they perceive them as anomalies, 'take those games out and we've actually got an average goal-scoring record). Now as we have beaten the 4 bottom teams these are also anomalies because the opposition is sh(t.

Results-wise we really don't need a huge upturn you speak off. Its more like a tweak.

We have 'only' lost 2 at home in 11 in the league, over full season that's around 4 home losses in 23 games - not the end of the world?
Four home wins on 10:30 - Nov 29 with 1445 viewsSwansea_Blue

Four home wins on 09:24 - Nov 29 by N2_Blue

but that goes against the agenda of those saying everything is ok so you will be down voted.

Some of us have our eyes open and can see the bigger picture that we have huge issues which is why we are mid-table and some are just eternal optimists whatever is put in front of them.

This season has been woeful thus far and not much else to be said really. We are far better than the bottom half of this division but get found out when we play teams with any sort of quality or competent management.

I'm not sure anyone has said everything's ok, have they? I don't think even Sitters has gone that far!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Four home wins on 10:38 - Nov 29 with 1414 viewsOwainG1992

That'd doesn't fill me with joy.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Four home wins on 10:41 - Nov 29 with 1406 viewsOsborneOneNil

Herbs, proper nice Monday morning post that.

Cheers.
Four home wins on 10:48 - Nov 29 with 1379 viewsHighgateBlue

Four home wins on 10:29 - Nov 29 by WilbrahamBlue

Its interesting that last week people pull out the big wins we've had this season (doncaster, pompey, wycombe) as they perceive them as anomalies, 'take those games out and we've actually got an average goal-scoring record). Now as we have beaten the 4 bottom teams these are also anomalies because the opposition is sh(t.

Results-wise we really don't need a huge upturn you speak off. Its more like a tweak.

We have 'only' lost 2 at home in 11 in the league, over full season that's around 4 home losses in 23 games - not the end of the world?

It is of course nonsense to start excluding games that are inconvenient to our own argument, and purporting to take averages of the remaining games. I agree there.

But it's entirely valid in any sport to analyse the form by reference to the quality of the opposition. It's a truism (for a reason) that one needs good home form in order to get into the playoffs. Merely "not losing" at home isn't good enough. We need to win more games at home, and our inability to do that against decent teams is evidence that this team at present just isn't performing anywhere near well enough. The fact that we have made heavy weather of lesser teams is less of a concern for me, but it still supports the overall analysis of our home form.

Many stats can be used and abused, I appreciate, but the following remain:
- we're 12th overall on points per game (Cheltenham have a game in hand)
- 12 teams have won more at home than we have
- Only 6 teams have lost more away
- we're closer to automatic relegation than automatic promotion
- we're letting in 1.5 goals a game

In short, we're a bang average team for league one. That requires much more than a tweak. Unless a substantial improvement in form starts soon, we're going to need nearly 2 points on average per game just to make the top 6. I think we're going to need at LEAST 75 points to make 6th place. That means about 1.85 points per game from here on in. Thus far, we're on 1.35. That's a pretty major change.

The best indicator is perhaps this: the stat you chose to illustrate good form related to our home form in particular. Yes, losing 2 at home is decent in and of itself. But hazard a guess where we are in the 'points per home game' table? 15th. I think that says it all, sadly.
Four home wins on 10:57 - Nov 29 with 1354 viewsOsborneOneNil

Four home wins on 10:48 - Nov 29 by HighgateBlue

It is of course nonsense to start excluding games that are inconvenient to our own argument, and purporting to take averages of the remaining games. I agree there.

But it's entirely valid in any sport to analyse the form by reference to the quality of the opposition. It's a truism (for a reason) that one needs good home form in order to get into the playoffs. Merely "not losing" at home isn't good enough. We need to win more games at home, and our inability to do that against decent teams is evidence that this team at present just isn't performing anywhere near well enough. The fact that we have made heavy weather of lesser teams is less of a concern for me, but it still supports the overall analysis of our home form.

In short, we're a bang average team for league one. That requires much more than a tweak. Unless a substantial improvement in form starts soon, we're going to need nearly 2 points on average per game just to make the top 6. I think we're going to need at LEAST 75 points to make 6th place. That means about 1.85 points per game from here on in. Thus far, we're on 1.35. That's a pretty major change.

The best indicator is perhaps this: the stat you chose to illustrate good form related to our home form in particular. Yes, losing 2 at home is decent in and of itself. But hazard a guess where we are in the 'points per home game' table? 15th. I think that says it all, sadly.

That’s pretty sobering.
Four home wins on 11:03 - Nov 29 with 1324 viewsN2_Blue

Four home wins on 10:29 - Nov 29 by WilbrahamBlue

You're the type of fan that would celebrate being unbeaten at home if we had 10 draws and zero losses.

You'd gloss over the fact that we'd failed to win a single game over the fact we were unbeaten.

You say only 2 home defeats like it's a good thing. As Osbourne has pointed out our home record is 15th in the division and we've played more than some teams.

That is the stat that matters. The league is about points accumulated not how many you lose or don't lose.

Four home wins on 11:19 - Nov 29 with 1277 viewsChurchman

Four home wins on 10:48 - Nov 29 by HighgateBlue

We’ve played 20 games against the good the bad and the indifferent. It’s a good.measure and the result is a collection of individuals and not a team. Deserved mid table fodder with a 7-6-7 record..

Notwithstanding that, unlike the last two seasons (Hull apart) we do have it in us to beat the better teams. I actually don’t think we are a million miles off having a good side. A couple of players? Three maybe? Two or three more of Lamberts mob out of the other door and who knows. I have a feeling that with that they might ‘click’ and go on a long winning run. Maybe that’s hope over sanity.

It is wrong to say Cook cannot put a team together for this league or the one above. He’s already done it. But not here. He’s been abject. The only question for me is do we stick with it and hope he can form a proper team for now or tear everything up again?
Four home wins on 11:35 - Nov 29 with 1240 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Four home wins on 11:03 - Nov 29 by N2_Blue

You're the type of fan that would celebrate being unbeaten at home if we had 10 draws and zero losses.

You'd gloss over the fact that we'd failed to win a single game over the fact we were unbeaten.

You say only 2 home defeats like it's a good thing. As Osbourne has pointed out our home record is 15th in the division and we've played more than some teams.

That is the stat that matters. The league is about points accumulated not how many you lose or don't lose.

I really wouldn't, hence the use of 'only' to help illustrate how statistics can always be found to paint a more positive or negative picture.

Again it's a sweeping statement from a negative old nelly who just wants to remonstrate and display anger at anyone who challenges negative views and agenda's.

The fact Cook survives week after week and the owners stand strong over the long term vision seems to be really unsettling some folk, who struggle with the lack of control over a situation.
Four home wins on 12:04 - Nov 29 with 1177 viewsHerbivore

Four home wins on 11:35 - Nov 29 by WilbrahamBlue

I really wouldn't, hence the use of 'only' to help illustrate how statistics can always be found to paint a more positive or negative picture.

Again it's a sweeping statement from a negative old nelly who just wants to remonstrate and display anger at anyone who challenges negative views and agenda's.

The fact Cook survives week after week and the owners stand strong over the long term vision seems to be really unsettling some folk, who struggle with the lack of control over a situation.

I see you're still obsessed with me. Get a grip.

Four home wins on 12:08 - Nov 29 with 1164 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Four home wins on 12:04 - Nov 29 by Herbivore

I see you're still obsessed with me. Get a grip.

Herbivore, you comment on all posts multiple times - its impossible not to have some interaction on that basis.

reacting like this when challenged is a bit perverse.
Four home wins on 12:09 - Nov 29 with 1156 viewsN2_Blue

Four home wins on 11:35 - Nov 29 by WilbrahamBlue

I neither negative or angry, so maybe you should stop with the sweeping generalisations.

I'm very positive about the future of our club and the playing squad we have.

However I'd be more positive if we'd had a manager who can show he knows how to utilise his squad and has an idea of what to do or will look to change things when his plan is clearly not working.

Anger no...frustration plenty. Am i wrong to be frustrated at a real crossroads in the future of ITFC. We either stagnate further or have a real opportunity to progress as a club, Cook is damaging the chance of that progression currently, not contributing to it and that is what I take issue with.

Four home wins on 12:10 - Nov 29 with 1151 viewsHerbivore

Four home wins on 12:08 - Nov 29 by WilbrahamBlue

Herbivore, you comment on all posts multiple times - its impossible not to have some interaction on that basis.

reacting like this when challenged is a bit perverse.

You're not challenging me, you're just being a knob. Half of your posts seem to be aimed at having a dig at me. It's tiresome. There's an ignore function if my posts bother you so much.

Four home wins on 12:19 - Nov 29 with 1110 viewsDarth_Koont

We’ve generally played better as the away side because we defend pretty well as a team and can exploit space when the opposition over-commits.

At home, we seem to struggle to adapt and should really be pressuring teams more by getting players forward and putting balls in the box. Maybe time to get Pigott involved so that we’d have a bit more threat than just Bonne?

Pronouns: He/Him

Four home wins on 12:23 - Nov 29 with 1082 viewsHerbivore

Four home wins on 12:19 - Nov 29 by Darth_Koont

We’ve generally played better as the away side because we defend pretty well as a team and can exploit space when the opposition over-commits.

At home, we seem to struggle to adapt and should really be pressuring teams more by getting players forward and putting balls in the box. Maybe time to get Pigott involved so that we’d have a bit more threat than just Bonne?

We've been pretty poor away from home too in fairness. Lost 5 times versus just 3 wins, and aside from handing out two excellent thrashings we've struggled a bit for goals on the road. Something is not right with the side, there seems to be a real lack of structure and organisation both with and without the ball.

Four home wins on 12:29 - Nov 29 with 1045 viewsDarth_Koont

Four home wins on 12:23 - Nov 29 by Herbivore

We've been pretty poor away from home too in fairness. Lost 5 times versus just 3 wins, and aside from handing out two excellent thrashings we've struggled a bit for goals on the road. Something is not right with the side, there seems to be a real lack of structure and organisation both with and without the ball.

I think we’ve deserved more though. Case in point: We’d have had 4 wins and 4 losses away just with the Sunderland game remotely going to plan. We were very very good/made Sunderland look very ordinary.

Structure and organisation were spot on.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024