Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quite the telling stat 14:01 - Nov 29 with 6753 viewshype313

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Quite the telling stat on 14:03 - Nov 29 with 2839 viewsSitfcB

Started like a house on fire last season, as we did the season before.

We are doing the opposite this season.

Def info.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Quite the telling stat on 14:41 - Nov 29 with 2699 viewsWD19

If you add last years start to this years form from game 6 onwards and we would be top on 40 points.

It is those first 6 games that have really mucked up our season.
Quite the telling stat on 14:43 - Nov 29 with 2671 viewshype313

Quite the telling stat on 14:41 - Nov 29 by WD19

If you add last years start to this years form from game 6 onwards and we would be top on 40 points.

It is those first 6 games that have really mucked up our season.

Yep, those were such missed opportunities, so many sliding doors moments in the early part of the season.

Quite the telling stat on 14:43 - Nov 29 with 2669 viewsMullet

Quite the telling stat on 14:03 - Nov 29 by SitfcB

Def info.

That’s good given we’re running out of matches.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Quite the telling stat on 14:45 - Nov 29 with 2655 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Lambert wasn't sacked in his first full season with an entirely new squad and after one transfer window. So it's not really a like for like comparison.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Quite the telling stat on 14:45 - Nov 29 with 2648 viewsFixed_It

Quite the telling stat on 14:43 - Nov 29 by Mullet

That’s good given we’re running out of matches.

Hardly.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Quite the telling stat on 14:47 - Nov 29 with 2639 viewsMullet

Quite the telling stat on 14:45 - Nov 29 by Fixed_It

Hardly.

For the purposes of the joke we are! But I suspect Cook will be too if he is to ignite the kind of run that constitutes inferno levels

Quite the telling stat on 14:48 - Nov 29 with 2632 viewshype313

Quite the telling stat on 14:45 - Nov 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

Lambert wasn't sacked in his first full season with an entirely new squad and after one transfer window. So it's not really a like for like comparison.

You're right, Lambert had a massively inferior squad to choose from.

Login to get fewer ads

Quite the telling stat on 14:49 - Nov 29 with 2651 viewsPhilTWTD

To be fair, that's comparing apples with oranges given their relative time in the job, isn't it? Probably inevitable that PC was going to be behind at this stage given the squad overhaul and off-field changes and the positive start last season. And Lambert wasn't really sacked due to performance as is being intimated anyway.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Quite the telling stat on 14:50 - Nov 29 with 2609 viewshype313

Quite the telling stat on 14:49 - Nov 29 by PhilTWTD

To be fair, that's comparing apples with oranges given their relative time in the job, isn't it? Probably inevitable that PC was going to be behind at this stage given the squad overhaul and off-field changes and the positive start last season. And Lambert wasn't really sacked due to performance as is being intimated anyway.

Agreed, but when you look at the squads between the two then Cook has a far superior pool of players at his disposal, yet isn't making great inroads with them.

Quite the telling stat on 14:55 - Nov 29 with 2547 viewsDubtractor

Def info.

Whereas this season we started more like a bin on fire.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Quite the telling stat on 14:55 - Nov 29 with 2548 viewsFixed_It

Quite the telling stat on 14:47 - Nov 29 by Mullet

For the purposes of the joke we are! But I suspect Cook will be too if he is to ignite the kind of run that constitutes inferno levels

Ah - missed the joke. You could have whooshed me there. But you deep down know I'm right anyway!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Quite the telling stat on 14:57 - Nov 29 with 2523 viewsMullet

Quite the telling stat on 14:55 - Nov 29 by Fixed_It

Ah - missed the joke. You could have whooshed me there. But you deep down know I'm right anyway!

No. I’m just kind to the elderly innit

Quite the telling stat on 14:58 - Nov 29 with 2521 viewsPhilTWTD

Quite the telling stat on 14:50 - Nov 29 by hype313

Agreed, but when you look at the squads between the two then Cook has a far superior pool of players at his disposal, yet isn't making great inroads with them.

While I think it was right to change the squad in the summer - I don't think it could have played as PC wants to play and a culture of failure had been instilled into them as a group - it was still a decent enough squad for this level. I'd say this squad has a few standout players by comparison and greater strength in depth but last year's squad should have performed better, just as much as this one.

The big difference is that for the most part that one had been together for years and was going in the wrong direction or at best drifting, whereas this one has shown signs of development in the right direction, even if results and performances have been inconsistent.

Quite the telling stat on 15:04 - Nov 29 with 2449 viewsBlueBadger

Quite the telling stat on 14:45 - Nov 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

Lambert should have been sacked after getting us relegated.
He then should have been sacked for failing to get us promoted on one of the largest budgets in the division.
He was finally sacked for making a meal out of getting us promoted on one of the largest budges in the division.
Cook should be sacked for taking a a 7th placed side into mid table and failing to compete for promotion on the largest budget in the division.

[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 17:30]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Quite the telling stat on 15:06 - Nov 29 with 2438 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Quite the telling stat on 14:48 - Nov 29 by hype313

I've not made a comment on the relative quality of the squads, I'm just pointing out that Lambert had way more time and transfer windows to create a team than Cook has had so far. Cook has had more to spend of course, but maybe he's tried to do too much too quickly. Surely most managers need a few windows to sort a team out (Burley had plenty, for example)?

Are there many examples of managers fixing a club that's been failing for years in one transfer window?

Quite the telling stat on 15:07 - Nov 29 with 2417 viewsBlueBadger

Quite the telling stat on 14:48 - Nov 29 by hype313

That was still more competitive in the division and actually put a few winning runs together.

This is where we're at. The New Messiah is actually performing worse than our worst-ever manager.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Quite the telling stat on 15:08 - Nov 29 with 2403 viewsBlueBadger

Def info.

We're vaguely smouldering ashes that are starting to look like fizzling out entirely?

Quite the telling stat on 15:10 - Nov 29 with 2390 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Quite the telling stat on 14:49 - Nov 29 by PhilTWTD

Exactly what I've been saying.

Quite the telling stat on 15:11 - Nov 29 with 2378 viewsjeera

Quite the telling stat on 14:57 - Nov 29 by Mullet

No. I’m just kind to the elderly innit

Give you bloody concrete architecture.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Quite the telling stat on 15:13 - Nov 29 with 2359 viewsMullet

Quite the telling stat on 15:11 - Nov 29 by jeera

Give you bloody concrete architecture.

I said elderly not decrepit!

Quite the telling stat on 15:25 - Nov 29 with 2297 viewshype313

Quite the telling stat on 15:10 - Nov 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

Exactly what I've been saying.

Quite clearly there is a split on both sides, and whatever your feelings on the situation it's not great that we are in this place.

FWIW I was very much give him time camp, but I just haven't seen anything from him that suggests he can get us firing on all cylinders, and he seems lost in how to position the front 3 behind Bonne, this should have been cemented 10 games ago, or at least had an idea once all the players were in situ.

I respect the fact that you think he should be given more time, and respect your arguments as to why, but for me, unless something dramatic changes I just can't see it happening.

Like I always say, I hope he proves me wrong and I'll happily hold my hands up and apologise for not believing, but so far, nothing points to that happening.

Quite the telling stat on 15:31 - Nov 29 with 2265 viewsPhilTWTD

Quite the telling stat on 15:25 - Nov 29 by hype313

Quite clearly there is a split on both sides, and whatever your feelings on the situation it's not great that we are in this place.

FWIW I was very much give him time camp, but I just haven't seen anything from him that suggests he can get us firing on all cylinders, and he seems lost in how to position the front 3 behind Bonne, this should have been cemented 10 games ago, or at least had an idea once all the players were in situ.

I respect the fact that you think he should be given more time, and respect your arguments as to why, but for me, unless something dramatic changes I just can't see it happening.

Like I always say, I hope he proves me wrong and I'll happily hold my hands up and apologise for not believing, but so far, nothing points to that happening.

Really nothing? I can understand being frustrated by the inconsistency but when we're good we're pretty good - not many teams will win 4-1 at Wycombe or 4-0 at Portsmouth - the issue is that levels drop both within games and from match to match. It's not like we're dreadful week in, week out as was the case in the middle of last season (or the three before that, come to think of it).
Quite the telling stat on 15:38 - Nov 29 with 2215 viewshype313

Quite the telling stat on 15:31 - Nov 29 by PhilTWTD

Really nothing? I can understand being frustrated by the inconsistency but when we're good we're pretty good - not many teams will win 4-1 at Wycombe or 4-0 at Portsmouth - the issue is that levels drop both within games and from match to match. It's not like we're dreadful week in, week out as was the case in the middle of last season (or the three before that, come to think of it).

Maybe nothing was a little strong, granted. But surely we should be streets ahead of being dreadful week in week out like last season with the investment, and whilst Wycombe and Pompey were fantastic results, we stank out the place in others and I'm minded that one (or two) swallows don't make a summer.

I desperately hope that we find some consistency in the coming weeks, if nothing else than to shut me up, but from what I've seen I wouldn't put my house on it.

Quite the telling stat on 15:38 - Nov 29 with 2211 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Quite the telling stat on 15:31 - Nov 29 by PhilTWTD

We clearly have the hint of quality that much better quality players give us. We were dreadful against Rotherham and Accrington but in fairness to the players it isn't week in, week out.

It reminds me of when we came down from the Premier League under Burley - we had the likes of Holland, Reuser, Marcus Bent etc who from time to time looked a level above. But fundamentally we didn't function as a team, and it took BFJ to come in and organise us better to achieve that, albeit we continued to have some crazy games/scorelines.

January will be interesting.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024