Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky 14:24 - Nov 30 with 3784 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Now isn't the time to panic. I'm reading too many posts where the panic button seems to have been hit.

Nothing is wrapped up in November, we have an ownership who will back us in January and we have a manager who is experienced enough for this division. It's a long season and a busy December where the league table will change with the amount of fixtures.

Performances recently haven't quite been there, but I do think we're missing Wes Burns, I do think we're missing dynamic full backs who add quality in the opposition half and I do think we're just needing to build up some momentum again. All three of those WILL return though.

There's no right or wrong answer, but for those who do feel a change of manager is needed, who would you get and why?

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:27 - Nov 30 with 2141 viewsMetal_Hacker

Pointless being owned by owners who will back us/him in January when the ship has already left this season ( if we expect the same pattern of results from here)

Poll: If it were one or the other

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:31 - Nov 30 with 2122 viewskizaitfc

Agree 100%

If we get rid of PC and bring in another manager do we just give that manager 1 year to turn us into a top of the table side.

I think most fans would agree the quality of football has improved compared to last season, providing the improvements continue I see no reason why we dont stick with Cook.

My hope is he has realised where we are weak and will look to sign 2 players in the January window.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:35 - Nov 30 with 2096 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:31 - Nov 30 by kizaitfc

Agree 100%

If we get rid of PC and bring in another manager do we just give that manager 1 year to turn us into a top of the table side.

I think most fans would agree the quality of football has improved compared to last season, providing the improvements continue I see no reason why we dont stick with Cook.

My hope is he has realised where we are weak and will look to sign 2 players in the January window.

The quality of the attacking football has improved.

The quality of the defensive football and the solidity of the team has deteriorated.

Hence we score a lot, but concede easily.

So on balance the overall standard of the football has not improved and arguably has dropped.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:40 - Nov 30 with 2055 viewskizaitfc

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:35 - Nov 30 by OriginalMarkyP

The quality of the defensive football and the solidity of the team has deteriorated.

So on balance the overall standard of the football has not improved and arguably has dropped.

Disagree, the defence has improved over the season and IMO is now on par with the past few seasons. I am not saying that is anywhere near good enough, but to suggest our defence was good under Lambert is forgetting a lot of silly goals conceded, hence the need to send Chambers down the A12.

I think what we have found out over the last month is we are still a bit short of being serious promotion contenders, the Sunderland game showed we can compete just need to be more clinical and the Rotherham game showed we are not top of the table material.

I dont have an issue with that when we have only had one transfer window, for me the judgement will be on who we sign in January and whether that generates improvement.

I believe the first transfer window has seen an improvement so lets I hope for the same in Jan.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:47 - Nov 30 with 2010 viewsHerbivore

It's not that hard to understand. We're nearly halfway through the season now and we're 11th in the third division, with the top 2 now gone, and the play offs requiring sustained automatic promotion form for the rest of the season just for us to have a sniff of sneaking in. It's not going well really is it? Couple that with some poor results recently (7 points from our last 6 games) and some ropey performances at a time where we were meant to have gelled, and it's really not that hard to see why some might want him gone.

I'd give him a few more games to see what happens but to me it's equally if not more bizarre that some fans are willing to give him the full season regardless of how things are going. Being too hesitant to pull the trigger when things aren't working hasn't helped us in the past and is part of the reason we're still stuck in this wretched league.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:49 - Nov 30 with 2004 viewsGarv

Football's about scoring goals. I cannot believe you think the standard of football hasn't improved, that's madness.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:51 - Nov 30 with 1973 viewsMattinLondon

Exactly this, it’s only November and it’s not like over 40% of the season has been played….oh.
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:52 - Nov 30 with 1972 viewstimothyeo

Cook Out.

Underachieved since he's been at the club. Underachieved with two completely different sets of players. Performed worse with the same squad of players than Lambert did, and Lambert was a poor manager.
Login to get fewer ads

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:52 - Nov 30 with 1973 viewsHerbivore

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:49 - Nov 30 by Garv

Football's about scoring goals. I cannot believe you think the standard of football hasn't improved, that's madness.

I think it depends on whether you focus just on the times that it's clicked or whether you look at it as a whole. We've had some dire halves of football this season where we've basically created nothing at all. At other times we still seem obsessed with slow possession in our own half followed by a big punt upfield. There's been some good stuff too, but it's patchy.

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:56 - Nov 30 with 1954 viewshomer_123

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:40 - Nov 30 by kizaitfc

Disagree, the defence has improved over the season and IMO is now on par with the past few seasons. I am not saying that is anywhere near good enough, but to suggest our defence was good under Lambert is forgetting a lot of silly goals conceded, hence the need to send Chambers down the A12.

I think what we have found out over the last month is we are still a bit short of being serious promotion contenders, the Sunderland game showed we can compete just need to be more clinical and the Rotherham game showed we are not top of the table material.

I dont have an issue with that when we have only had one transfer window, for me the judgement will be on who we sign in January and whether that generates improvement.

I believe the first transfer window has seen an improvement so lets I hope for the same in Jan.

So, what you are saying is we need 'more players'?

Not being funny but the squad we have is already ridiculous. Yes, with Coulson injured there is a potential issue at left back but that aside, if Cook can't get this lot going (which are his signings) - piling more players in seems an odd way to address some of the issues we are seeing.

For example, why, when Cook makes subs do we look worse? Why do we switch off in games? Why is our off the ball work so poor at times? Why do we still look like a group of individuals and not a team?

More players don't address those issues.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:56 - Nov 30 with 1947 viewsFixed_It

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:52 - Nov 30 by timothyeo

Cook Out.

Underachieved since he's been at the club. Underachieved with two completely different sets of players. Performed worse with the same squad of players than Lambert did, and Lambert was a poor manager.

Well you've kept your views quiet until now!!!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:56 - Nov 30 with 1951 viewskizaitfc

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:47 - Nov 30 by Herbivore

It's not that hard to understand. We're nearly halfway through the season now and we're 11th in the third division, with the top 2 now gone, and the play offs requiring sustained automatic promotion form for the rest of the season just for us to have a sniff of sneaking in. It's not going well really is it? Couple that with some poor results recently (7 points from our last 6 games) and some ropey performances at a time where we were meant to have gelled, and it's really not that hard to see why some might want him gone.

I'd give him a few more games to see what happens but to me it's equally if not more bizarre that some fans are willing to give him the full season regardless of how things are going. Being too hesitant to pull the trigger when things aren't working hasn't helped us in the past and is part of the reason we're still stuck in this wretched league.

Why do we have any right to be above 11th?

Some fans seem to think just because we are Ipswich Town that League 1 is beneath us.

Yes we spent some money in the summer but no teams get that sort of recruitment right first time, some players come in and will be here for a long time (I hope). Others will be duds, I personally thought the signings of Harper, Edwards and Piggot were some of the best transfer we have seen for years, only one of those has turned out to be good enough to start regularly, and even that is questionable. One of the best exciting signing was Barry from Villa who has turned out to be nowhere near good enough. Most thought Aluko was our worst signing some even argued we shouldn't have signed him but he has been a great addition. Who would have thought one of our top players would be Donacien!

There is no exact formula to this, it is going to take time, Sunderland have been playing around with their squad for 3 or 4 years now, and you'd still argue haven't got it right (based on our match). I would stress that we need to be patient and if we start seeing a decline then yes I would worry. Lets see what the new year brings,

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:59 - Nov 30 with 1913 viewskizaitfc

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:56 - Nov 30 by homer_123

So, what you are saying is we need 'more players'?

Not being funny but the squad we have is already ridiculous. Yes, with Coulson injured there is a potential issue at left back but that aside, if Cook can't get this lot going (which are his signings) - piling more players in seems an odd way to address some of the issues we are seeing.

For example, why, when Cook makes subs do we look worse? Why do we switch off in games? Why is our off the ball work so poor at times? Why do we still look like a group of individuals and not a team?

More players don't address those issues.

So you think if we sack Cook and bring in a new manager before January he wont sign players?

Managers can only do so much, it is the players on the pitch that make things happen.

We are too weak in certain areas, I think to make PC system work he needs two attacking fullbacks, he doesnt seem to be able to trust KVY and JD and Clements havent been good enough going forwards

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:00 - Nov 30 with 1902 viewskizaitfc

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:52 - Nov 30 by timothyeo

Cook Out.

Comparing the performances with Lamberts is laughable.

As for last season, Cook ruffled feathers because he saw what we saw, inept players not good enough for this club.

Cook ended up playing different players and different systems trying to work out who was up to it.

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:03 - Nov 30 with 1876 viewstimothyeo

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:00 - Nov 30 by kizaitfc

Comparing the performances with Lamberts is laughable.

As for last season, Cook ruffled feathers because he saw what we saw, inept players not good enough for this club.

Cook ended up playing different players and different systems trying to work out who was up to it.

Watching the same squad under both managers (the fairest way to judge) - Lambert's was better.
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:04 - Nov 30 with 1865 viewsHerbivore

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:56 - Nov 30 by kizaitfc

Why do we have any right to be above 11th?

Some fans seem to think just because we are Ipswich Town that League 1 is beneath us.

Yes we spent some money in the summer but no teams get that sort of recruitment right first time, some players come in and will be here for a long time (I hope). Others will be duds, I personally thought the signings of Harper, Edwards and Piggot were some of the best transfer we have seen for years, only one of those has turned out to be good enough to start regularly, and even that is questionable. One of the best exciting signing was Barry from Villa who has turned out to be nowhere near good enough. Most thought Aluko was our worst signing some even argued we shouldn't have signed him but he has been a great addition. Who would have thought one of our top players would be Donacien!

There is no exact formula to this, it is going to take time, Sunderland have been playing around with their squad for 3 or 4 years now, and you'd still argue haven't got it right (based on our match). I would stress that we need to be patient and if we start seeing a decline then yes I would worry. Lets see what the new year brings,

We don't have a right to be anywhere, but with the resources at our disposal we should be aiming for much better than 11th in the league. Do you think our performance to date is acceptable? Because I doubt Cook himself would agree with you if you do.

Cook chose to risk changing most of the squad, that's on him. If much of the recruitment doesn't work out that's also on him, he certainly can't argue that he wasn't backed to bring in the players he wanted.

As for Sunderland, that'll be gutted to still be at this level hut they've at least made the play offs twice, coming close to automatic promotion in that first year as well despite a ridiculous level of upheaval on and off the pitch. They are up there again this year. And when they've felt their challenge is slipping they've changed manager, which they've done twice already since relegation. Phil Parkinson got fewer games there than Cook has had here and he had a better record than Cook too.

We seem content to keep bobbing along in the middle of the third division making excuse after excuse for why it's okay that we've done so much worse a job of getting out of this league than almost every other side of similar stature that hadn't nearly gone bust. I really don't get it.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 15:17]

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:06 - Nov 30 with 1850 viewswkj

Paul Cook is at that point where whatever his master plan is - needs to start happening. Cook in, Cook out - is isn't important, but this team is better than Lambert's - so it needs to perform better than Lambert's

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:07 - Nov 30 with 1848 viewsFixed_It

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:03 - Nov 30 by timothyeo

Watching the same squad under both managers (the fairest way to judge) - Lambert's was better.

Although by the time Cook had come in most realised they had no future here and therefore underperformed even more than they had since they slumped after a good start.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:09 - Nov 30 with 1827 viewswkj

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:07 - Nov 30 by Fixed_It

Although by the time Cook had come in most realised they had no future here and therefore underperformed even more than they had since they slumped after a good start.

By that token, why isn't this team that does have a future, fail to operate as a consistent team?

This team should be hauling more points than last season's team - so far, it isn't .

Crybaby

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:11 - Nov 30 with 1812 viewsHerbivore

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:59 - Nov 30 by kizaitfc

So you think if we sack Cook and bring in a new manager before January he wont sign players?

Managers can only do so much, it is the players on the pitch that make things happen.

We are too weak in certain areas, I think to make PC system work he needs two attacking fullbacks, he doesnt seem to be able to trust KVY and JD and Clements havent been good enough going forwards

I see you're joining Cook in pinning it all on the players. Again.

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:12 - Nov 30 with 1811 viewshadleighboyblue

Are you seriously saying Walton and Edmundson are not an improvement on last season !

We have been unlucky with injuries to full backs , but things will improve .

Morsy or Skues ...come on , the whole squad is stronger and more entertaining , we're not finished yet , have a bit of faith .

Now is not the time for all this moaning
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:12 - Nov 30 with 1798 viewskizaitfc

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:04 - Nov 30 by Herbivore

We don't have a right to be anywhere, but with the resources at our disposal we should be aiming for much better than 11th in the league. Do you think our performance to date is acceptable? Because I doubt Cook himself would agree with you if you do.

Cook chose to risk changing most of the squad, that's on him. If much of the recruitment doesn't work out that's also on him, he certainly can't argue that he wasn't backed to bring in the players he wanted.

As for Sunderland, that'll be gutted to still be at this level hut they've at least made the play offs twice, coming close to automatic promotion in that first year as well despite a ridiculous level of upheaval on and off the pitch. They are up there again this year. And when they've felt their challenge is slipping they've changed manager, which they've done twice already since relegation. Phil Parkinson got fewer games there than Cook has had here and he had a better record than Cook too.

We seem content to keep bobbing along in the middle of the third division making excuse after excuse for why it's okay that we've done so much worse a job of getting out of this league than almost every other side of similar stature that hadn't nearly gone bust. I really don't get it.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 15:17]

I agree with all of these points, clearly we aren't playing to the level we want to be.

But my point is that it doesn't make changing the manager the right thing to do. Cook clearly has a plan, to me it's a plan that doesnt suit the current first 11 particularly the full backs.

As good as Donacien has been, when Coulson is back fit, I'd really like to see KVY and Coulson on each flank. Maybe Donacien could play at CB in place of Toto as his strengthen is certainly his defending particularly 1vs1.

If KVY cant stay fit I wouldnt be surprised to see us send Barry back to Villa and search for a RB on loan

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:13 - Nov 30 with 1795 viewswkj

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:12 - Nov 30 by hadleighboyblue

Are you seriously saying Walton and Edmundson are not an improvement on last season !

Morsy or Skues ...come on , the whole squad is stronger and more entertaining , we're not finished yet , have a bit of faith .

I think that Cook made a mistake by letting Wilson go, I think Wilson and Edmundson would have been a snappy partnership at the back. Other than that, fair assessment.

Crybaby

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:13 - Nov 30 with 1792 viewskizaitfc

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:12 - Nov 30 by hadleighboyblue

Absolutely Spot On!

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:16 - Nov 30 with 1781 viewsIllinoisblue

“All three of those WILL return”. You are aware of our still ongoing problems with getting and keeping players fit?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024