Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Beatles - Get Back 15:16 - Nov 30 with 3030 viewsitfcjoe

Has anyone enriched their life by watching this quite fantastic series of movies/documentaries since they were released on Disney+ over the last few days

It really is quite incredible what Peter Jackson has managed to achieve, and I guess one of the only benefits of Covid is that it turned what was a 100 minute feature film into 8 hours of the content released in stunning quality and dispelling some myths about how this session had previously gone.

It's like finding some of Picasso's sketches, watching videos of true geniuses in the creative process - Paul MCartney just plucking Get Back out of thin air, seeing him and John Lennon work on songs together throughout the process

It's probably not very accessible if not a Beatles fan, but it's perfect for anyone who is, and wants to watch the best there ever has been

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:16 - Nov 30 with 2151 viewshomer_123

It's good if slightly over self-indulgent.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:18 - Nov 30 with 2144 viewsIllinoisblue

Started it the other day and immediately irritated by Yoko sitting right there with the band. Will watch the rest when done with Yellowstone.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:19 - Nov 30 with 2137 viewsHalifaxBlue

It's wonderful. I understand that it may not be that accessible to the average fan (it is looooongggg), but I am an audio engineer and Beatles obsessive and this is a total treasure trove for me.

I've only finished the first part. Amazing. Got chills at the moment Paul was noodling on piano while the others bickered and you realize he has just come up with the embryo of Hey Jude.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

You should watch "Wingspan".... on 15:21 - Nov 30 with 2108 viewsBloots

....it's the documentary "Get Back" could have been.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:24 - Nov 30 with 2119 viewsDubtractor

I watched 30 minutes and got bored to be honest.

Seemed like 20 seconds of mumbled chat, followed by 20 seconds of lo fi band practice. Repeated relentlessly.

Does it get any more engaging?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:34 - Nov 30 with 2075 viewsMelford

I've only watched the first one so far, going to watch another tonight. I love what I have seen so far.

I am a massive Beatles obsessive, got pretty much every note they ever recorded. There's a 30 disc bootleg of all the audio going round for years. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-beatles-buried-treasure-237925

That Get Back bit with Paul was amazing, John looks off his face a lot. Apparently at this time he and Yoko were smoking Heroin so that's probably why.

You get a lot more context and depth in this as opposed to the original Let It Be film. The clip of George saying to Paul "I'll play whatever you want me to play, or if you don't want me to play I won't ,whatever pleases you" which was made to look like a bitchy comment against Paul in the original is only a small part of a larger conversation as shown here.

I'd like to see Peter Jackson get all the remaining tapes of Magical Mystery Tour and turn that into the psychedelic masterpiece it should have been.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:37 - Nov 30 with 2051 viewsfooters

Comparing Picasso to the Beatles is quite a stretch.

Most overrated band ever. Def info.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 16:01]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:42 - Nov 30 with 2026 viewsitfcjoe

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:24 - Nov 30 by Dubtractor

Seemed like 20 seconds of mumbled chat, followed by 20 seconds of lo fi band practice. Repeated relentlessly.

I think so, but think you have to be a bit of an obsessive to knwo all the back story of the original movie and seeing the band break after this - these sessions had always been billed as tense affiars but think this shows them for what they were, shows the characters and that everyone comes out of it quite well.

I think it's worth persisting with the first episode, but if it doesn't engage you much more then skip to the concert at the end which is a fun watch

Login to get fewer ads

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:44 - Nov 30 with 2012 viewsitfcjoe

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:34 - Nov 30 by Melford

I've only watched the first one so far, going to watch another tonight. I love what I have seen so far.

I am a massive Beatles obsessive, got pretty much every note they ever recorded. There's a 30 disc bootleg of all the audio going round for years. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-beatles-buried-treasure-237925

That Get Back bit with Paul was amazing, John looks off his face a lot. Apparently at this time he and Yoko were smoking Heroin so that's probably why.

You get a lot more context and depth in this as opposed to the original Let It Be film. The clip of George saying to Paul "I'll play whatever you want me to play, or if you don't want me to play I won't ,whatever pleases you" which was made to look like a bitchy comment against Paul in the original is only a small part of a larger conversation as shown here.

I'd like to see Peter Jackson get all the remaining tapes of Magical Mystery Tour and turn that into the psychedelic masterpiece it should have been.

It really fleshes out what is a period that everyone thinks they know all about as this tumultous time but the reality is they are just mates moving in slightly different directions having been joined at the hip since they were teenagers

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:49 - Nov 30 with 1985 viewsRomeo4

Yes started watching it last night. It is very long so will keep chipping away at it over the next few days.

So far it’s giving a brilliant insight into the group’s dynamics at that time. It was often surmised that they were very fractured by then but this evidence would suggest otherwise. Even with Yoko sitting by John’s side almost all the time!

Paul seems to be the driving force by this time and does seem a bit narked by the others more laissez-faire approach at times.

Seeing him begin to form Get Back was really special to see. As was the part when George brought in a new song (I Me Mine) one morning and they all worked it into shape. Really special insight into their creative process.
The Beatles - Get Back on 15:59 - Nov 30 with 1948 viewsazuremerlangus

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:34 - Nov 30 by Melford

I managed to get a ticket for the 90th anniversary lectures held at Abbey Road studios 2 weeks ago. Getting the chance to sit in Studio 2 to see (and hear) some of the pianos and keyboards used on those iconic Beatles records just blew my mind. 4 lucky guests got the chance to re-create the ‘big E chord’ at the end of a Day in the Life on the very same 3 pianos used on the track - talk about goose-bumps…

If you ever have the chance to go next time they come round make sure you do - you won’t regret it.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

The Beatles - Get Back on 16:02 - Nov 30 with 1933 viewsMelford

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:44 - Nov 30 by itfcjoe

It really fleshes out what is a period that everyone thinks they know all about as this tumultous time but the reality is they are just mates moving in slightly different directions having been joined at the hip since they were teenagers

The legal sh!t (Eastman/Klein) didn't start until much later in the year. Only one month later on the 22nd of Feb they started Abbey Road. A lot of people don't realise apart from a new recording of I Me Mine all of the Let It Be album and all this was done before Abbey Road.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

The Beatles - Get Back on 16:06 - Nov 30 with 1919 viewsfab_lover

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:18 - Nov 30 by Illinoisblue

Started it the other day and immediately irritated by Yoko sitting right there with the band. Will watch the rest when done with Yellowstone.

Yes, but - and maybe this bit was kept in as a sop to Yoko, who knows - Paul addresses this very issue at the start of part 2.

George seemed to be the only one not bringing a partner along at some point. Linda Mac is there quite a lot of the time...and it's a strange set-up anyway, the four Beatles then around 20 other people milling around the place.

Anyway, Paul basically says that Yoko isn't splitting them up, they understand (or at least he does) why John wants her there. He also says they need a "boss" who tells them - right, come in on time, leave your partners at home.

For me what comes out of it so far is that:

- Paul's creativity is off the scale;
- Paul and John were incredibly close, despite Yoko sitting next to John all the time, he interacts much more with Paul than her;
- George is also coming up with lots of stuff that eventually goes onto his first solo album, but it gets pretty much rejected;
- Ringo is like a session musician, the roader / gopher Mal Evans has more input into the songs than he does.

I think if you're not that much into the Beatles, you won't "get" it, if you are, it's jaw-dropping.
The Beatles - Get Back on 16:08 - Nov 30 with 1909 viewsnodge_blue

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:37 - Nov 30 by footers

Oh deja vu!

I did listen to the zombies and thought how Beatles like they sounded!

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The Beatles - Get Back on 16:10 - Nov 30 with 1893 viewsfooters

The Beatles - Get Back on 16:08 - Nov 30 by nodge_blue

Oh deja vu!

I did listen to the zombies and thought how Beatles like they sounded!

Did you like any of it?

Sorry, the Beatles thing is just a bugbear of mine :D

The Beatles - Get Back on 16:21 - Nov 30 with 1879 viewsglasso

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:18 - Nov 30 by Illinoisblue

Big time. She is crazily annoying. I don't know how the rest of the band put up with it.

Also watching Paul McCartney pretty much single-handedly writing loads of 'Lennon/McCartney' songs while John's off waltzing with his Mrs or pissing around in front of the camera...
The Beatles - Get Back on 16:26 - Nov 30 with 1876 viewsglasso

The Beatles - Get Back on 16:06 - Nov 30 by fab_lover

Yes, but - and maybe this bit was kept in as a sop to Yoko, who knows - Paul addresses this very issue at the start of part 2.

George seemed to be the only one not bringing a partner along at some point. Linda Mac is there quite a lot of the time...and it's a strange set-up anyway, the four Beatles then around 20 other people milling around the place.

Anyway, Paul basically says that Yoko isn't splitting them up, they understand (or at least he does) why John wants her there. He also says they need a "boss" who tells them - right, come in on time, leave your partners at home.

For me what comes out of it so far is that:

- Paul's creativity is off the scale;
- Paul and John were incredibly close, despite Yoko sitting next to John all the time, he interacts much more with Paul than her;
- George is also coming up with lots of stuff that eventually goes onto his first solo album, but it gets pretty much rejected;
- Ringo is like a session musician, the roader / gopher Mal Evans has more input into the songs than he does.

I think if you're not that much into the Beatles, you won't "get" it, if you are, it's jaw-dropping.

I'm definitely biased as a drummer, but I think your point about Ringo is a bit unfair.

He doesn't say much when they're writing, but then neither does George, really. He noodles and perfects his parts until they're a big part of the song. And the same with Ringo - he's there quietly getting his own parts together.

It's just that when you hear what comes out I think most people naturally think that George's parts are more important or more 'a part of the song' than Ringo's because they're melodic.

In fairness, pretty much nobody tells Ringo what to do, unlike all of the others who have opinions on each other's parts. He does his own thing
The Beatles - Get Back on 16:48 - Nov 30 with 1821 viewsfab_lover

The Beatles - Get Back on 16:26 - Nov 30 by glasso

I'm definitely biased as a drummer, but I think your point about Ringo is a bit unfair.

He doesn't say much when they're writing, but then neither does George, really. He noodles and perfects his parts until they're a big part of the song. And the same with Ringo - he's there quietly getting his own parts together.

It's just that when you hear what comes out I think most people naturally think that George's parts are more important or more 'a part of the song' than Ringo's because they're melodic.

In fairness, pretty much nobody tells Ringo what to do, unlike all of the others who have opinions on each other's parts. He does his own thing

Yes, possibly it was unfair. I don't see the band looking to him for any creative input though. Fair enough, given how George was treated, maybe they wouldn't have listened to him anyway. Don't get me wrong, I think the band were more than the sum of their parts, and without Ringo, there would not have been the Beatles as we knew them. However my take on it so far - and I'm only half-way through - is that it's 90% Paul, the rest everyone else.

You can even see in the first part Paul asking Lennon to come up with something. I wonder what Lennon's creative input into the band was after "The White Album" ?
The Beatles - Get Back on 16:50 - Nov 30 with 1806 viewsericclacton

Very good watch i thought, the let it be film was awful in comparison.

The Beatles - Get Back on 17:09 - Nov 30 with 1777 viewsBlueBadger

You appear to have spelt 'The Smiths' wrong there.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

You should watch "Wingspan".... on 17:12 - Nov 30 with 1770 viewsCotty

You should watch "Wingspan".... on 15:21 - Nov 30 by Bloots

....it's the documentary "Get Back" could have been.

^^^^This is top quality^^^^
The Beatles - Get Back on 20:51 - Nov 30 with 1659 viewsGuthrum

I'm doing an 8-hour marathon viewing at a mate's on Saturday.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Beatles - Get Back on 21:00 - Nov 30 with 1632 viewschicoazul

The Beatles - Get Back on 15:24 - Nov 30 by Dubtractor

No.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Beatles - Get Back on 21:51 - Nov 30 with 1580 viewsGlasgowBlue

The beatles were always ahead of their time.

They even invented the modern trend of putting a man on the floor for a defensive wall 50 years before the rest of the football world thought about it.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Beatles - Get Back on 21:59 - Nov 30 with 1557 viewsfooters

The Beatles - Get Back on 21:51 - Nov 30 by GlasgowBlue

The beatles were always ahead of their time.

They even invented the modern trend of putting a man on the floor for a defensive wall 50 years before the rest of the football world thought about it.

That's just providing me more ammunition, y'know.

Hadn't really seen that tactic before last year - it's not a good look.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024