Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... 10:16 - Dec 2 with 4697 viewsBloots

...Wigan, will that be the point at which we pull the trigger on him?

We'll probably be 10+ points off the play offs and in the bottom half of the league.

If we add in the inevitable poor performance against Barrow and I reckon that could be it.

Can he survive that scenario?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:41 - Dec 2 with 1069 viewsN2_Blue

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:19 - Dec 2 by patrickswell

It would be peak Cook though to batter Wigan 4-1 but surround that with draws at Charlton and Gillingham, interspersed with losses to Sunderland and Wycombe and a laboured win over Lincoln.

I can actually see something like this happening.

And loads of supporters giving Cook outers grief after we batter someone

But it's the general inconsistency and points accumulated (i.e. lack of) that's why he has got to go even if we do batter a team like Wigan. It's pointless if we are crap against everyone else.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:43 - Dec 2 with 1063 viewsHerbivore

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 10:40 - Dec 2 by Guthrum

But that's only because people haven't listened to what's been said, or looked at the length of contracts handed out.

In any case, they'll win it back by signing Bonne in January.

I'm not sure I agree with that first paragraph. People make a lot of the long term project and it not being promotion or bust, at the same time there was a lot of "look out League 1" posturing and all the talk from the manager and signings preseason was about promotion being the aim. That people are only focusing on the more cautious messages now is a by product of us falling away from a genuine promotion challenge so early in the season. Many of the signings made on longish contracts are intended to be here for a tilt at the Championship, not just to get us out of League 1. And we've spent more than most sides' entire transfer budget on some expensive loans and short term deals.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:54 - Dec 2 with 1044 viewsJDB23

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:43 - Dec 2 by Herbivore

I'm not sure I agree with that first paragraph. People make a lot of the long term project and it not being promotion or bust, at the same time there was a lot of "look out League 1" posturing and all the talk from the manager and signings preseason was about promotion being the aim. That people are only focusing on the more cautious messages now is a by product of us falling away from a genuine promotion challenge so early in the season. Many of the signings made on longish contracts are intended to be here for a tilt at the Championship, not just to get us out of League 1. And we've spent more than most sides' entire transfer budget on some expensive loans and short term deals.

You could argue that a lot of our better performers are actually the expensive loan signings, Bonne, Walton, Celina. Doesn't scream "long term project that's building for the future" does it? When we fail this season and have to bring in another 10 next summer window we'll be hearing the same excuses as this season all over again.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 11:56]
On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:59 - Dec 2 with 1039 viewsBlueBadger

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:54 - Dec 2 by JDB23

You could argue that a lot of our better performers are actually the expensive loan signings, Bonne, Walton, Celina. Doesn't scream "long term project that's building for the future" does it? When we fail this season and have to bring in another 10 next summer window we'll be hearing the same excuses as this season all over again.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 11:56]

Oh yeah. We'll be 'gelling' for the first 20 games of the season again.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:59 - Dec 2 with 1035 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 10:53 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

i'll flip back when things improve yes, that's a given, it's PC's job to ensure he has fans on his side. he does that by winning games of football

You wear your fickleness like a badge of honour.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Technical. (n/t) on 12:29 - Dec 2 with 993 viewsunstableblue

Technical. (n/t) on 10:41 - Dec 2 by Bloots

I fear you may be right, if you mean that our primary issue is that Cook is failing in the technical and tactical set-up of the players.

Jeeze I thought we'd finally got a progressive manager in Cook and broken all those poor managerial selections under Marcus, but he WAS a Marcus selection.

I still retain hope that the players CAN find the Wycombe groove, and by some miracle The Valley becomes the pivot point of the season.

But its becoming a glimmer of hope.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Technical. (n/t) on 12:43 - Dec 2 with 981 viewsBlueBadger

Technical. (n/t) on 12:29 - Dec 2 by unstableblue

I fear you may be right, if you mean that our primary issue is that Cook is failing in the technical and tactical set-up of the players.

Jeeze I thought we'd finally got a progressive manager in Cook and broken all those poor managerial selections under Marcus, but he WAS a Marcus selection.

I still retain hope that the players CAN find the Wycombe groove, and by some miracle The Valley becomes the pivot point of the season.

That word 'technical'.

You've used it to describe both Lambert AND Hurst as well.
I'm starting to think it's just a meaningless word that you don't actually know the meaning of.

Spoiler: it doesn't actually mean 'not Mick, so failure is OK'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 13:50 - Dec 2 with 935 viewsGuthrum

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:43 - Dec 2 by Herbivore

I agree - and still think that promotion should be the bar for judging this season.

However, having seen what was said at the Fan Forums, etc., I don't think the Board has such an urgent timescale in mind, as long as there's no monstrous c0ck-up and there is evidence of "building".

That last is what I, personally, think is lacking at the moment. Every step forward is followed by a reverse soon after.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 14:04 - Dec 2 with 910 viewsBluebell

Having paid well over £100 for the 2 of us to go to the Wigan, I have a funny feeling that both Will Keane and Gwion Edwards will score.

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 14:10 - Dec 2 with 893 viewsHerbivore

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 13:50 - Dec 2 by Guthrum

I agree - and still think that promotion should be the bar for judging this season.

However, having seen what was said at the Fan Forums, etc., I don't think the Board has such an urgent timescale in mind, as long as there's no monstrous c0ck-up and there is evidence of "building".

That last is what I, personally, think is lacking at the moment. Every step forward is followed by a reverse soon after.

Can't argue with any of that. Every statement win has been followed by a pretty indifferent spell, and the last couple of performances have looked like a backward step. These next few games could be key I feel, even if the new owners are patient I can't see that they'd accept us being 10+ points off 6th after half a season with performances showing decline rather than improvement. Hopefully it'll finally click, that's what we all want to see.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 14:12 - Dec 2 with 882 viewschrismakin

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:59 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

That's football flash.

It's a results business

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 14:39 - Dec 2 with 854 viewsistanblue

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 10:23 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

what will make or break it will be those 3 Pack PR games.

Come away to boo's and they will change it, they can't afford for it to fail to such a level that the crowds start dwindling

Yes, this is my thinking too. It makes sense on multiple fronts: Gamechanger very much want the connection with the fans and not sacking a manager that's roundly getting booed and jeered would jeopardise that, secondly I think Ashton and co. are relatively patient in so much that they will give Cook as much time as is possible without completely throwing the season away, thirdly sacking him around Christmas/New Year gives the new guy some manoeuvrability in the transfer market.
On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 14:45 - Dec 2 with 854 viewsitfcjoe

If we don't win at least one of them, I think a change will be made ahed of Sunderland game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Technical. (n/t) on 15:20 - Dec 2 with 820 viewsunstableblue

Technical. (n/t) on 12:43 - Dec 2 by BlueBadger

That word 'technical'.

You've used it to describe both Lambert AND Hurst as well.
I'm starting to think it's just a meaningless word that you don't actually know the meaning of.

Spoiler: it doesn't actually mean 'not Mick, so failure is OK'.

Large leather bound swivel chair slowly rotates around... "I've been expecting you Mr Bond"

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 15:48 - Dec 2 with 792 viewsHackneyblueboy

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 14:45 - Dec 2 by itfcjoe

If we don't win at least one of them, I think a change will be made ahed of Sunderland game

Joe is that a hunch or something you've heard. It's not working at the moment sure, but what's to say it will work for the next man or the next. We have more resources that most if not all of the clubs in this league and a manager who has a track record. Surely its a case of when not if it goes right. It just depends on how patient the owners are. If we build slowly then it may take us another 2 seasons to get up but once we do get up we should have a very solid foundation.

I just don't see any messiah figures out there who will come in and make things better over night. Do we really want to start again and have a new manager with new staff and a massive turnover in players again. We need to hold our nerve.
Technical. (n/t) on 16:15 - Dec 2 with 753 viewsHARRY10

Technical. (n/t) on 12:29 - Dec 2 by unstableblue

"but he WAS a Marcus selection"

So Evans who had been negotiating for nigh on a year, then decodes to change the manager at the last minute ?

Really ! ! !
On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 16:55 - Dec 2 with 726 viewsKeaneish

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 14:04 - Dec 2 by Bluebell

Having paid well over £100 for the 2 of us to go to the Wigan, I have a funny feeling that both Will Keane and Gwion Edwards will score.

I'm fine with that if we see another Lee Evans hat-trick.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 17:23 - Dec 2 with 709 viewsParky

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 11:59 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Makes me wonder why he doesn’t just go ‘support’ Liverpool or Man City, if he’s only interested when it’s going well.
On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 17:52 - Dec 2 with 690 viewsBlueBadger

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 15:48 - Dec 2 by Hackneyblueboy

Joe is that a hunch or something you've heard. It's not working at the moment sure, but what's to say it will work for the next man or the next. We have more resources that most if not all of the clubs in this league and a manager who has a track record. Surely its a case of when not if it goes right. It just depends on how patient the owners are. If we build slowly then it may take us another 2 seasons to get up but once we do get up we should have a very solid foundation.

I just don't see any messiah figures out there who will come in and make things better over night. Do we really want to start again and have a new manager with new staff and a massive turnover in players again. We need to hold our nerve.

Every single 'messiah'(Keane, Hurst, Lamber and now Cook) we've had in the past 10 years has been woeful.

We could do with another Honest Mick to steady things up o short term gig with a big payoff for doing so, take us up then make way for someone a bit more progressive
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 17:53]

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 17:56 - Dec 2 with 675 viewspositivity

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 17:52 - Dec 2 by BlueBadger

Every single 'messiah'(Keane, Hurst, Lamber and now Cook) we've had in the past 10 years has been woeful.

We could do with another Honest Mick to steady things up o short term gig with a big payoff for doing so, take us up then make way for someone a bit more progressive

what makes you think that your mystery miracle worker would happily leave us and not stink out the place for years after?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 18:06 - Dec 2 with 664 viewschrismakin

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 17:23 - Dec 2 by Parky

Makes me wonder why he doesn’t just go ‘support’ Liverpool or Man City, if he’s only interested when it’s going well.

I support the club. The club deserves better than losing to arsenal 21s. And struggling to beat the likes of crewe and Oldham etc.

But fair play if it gives you enjoyment. Not anyone else to tell you how to feel

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 18:08 - Dec 2 with 663 viewsFunge

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 17:23 - Dec 2 by Parky

Tell me more about when it's been going well for us in the past 15 years, please.
On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 18:14 - Dec 2 with 655 viewsKeaneish

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 17:52 - Dec 2 by BlueBadger

Destroy the foundations of what we’re building to put a temporary solution in place but then destroy that again to start another plan…

That must sound like a really good strategy to any one not involved in shaping strategy, I’m sure.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 18:24 - Dec 2 with 645 viewsDubtractor

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 18:08 - Dec 2 by Funge

Tell me more about when it's been going well for us in the past 15 years, please.

I love it when people imply that fans of mid table league one team ITFC are glory hunters.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 18:33 - Dec 2 with 617 viewsFunge

On the assumption that we lose to Charlton and..... on 18:24 - Dec 2 by Dubtractor

I love it when people imply that fans of mid table league one team ITFC are glory hunters.

We beat Shrewsbury 2-1 at home, that was pretty glorious.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024