Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. 15:49 - Dec 2 with 5330 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Can anyone name a few managers who came into a club that's been failing for years and turned them round in just one transfer window? I remember the days we used to think 2 or 3 windows were fair.

Did anyone genuinely think EVERY signing would work out this summer? When you go through what Cook has signed, they seem more hit than miss I'd say.

Mick obviously stopped the rot briefly when he came in, and pulled us away from relegation. Ultimately, over the course of his tenure, we were treading water really. We weren't moving forward.

Are there any more/better? I genuinely don't know and am genuinely interested (rather than looking for abuse, so try to be kind).

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 15:52 - Dec 2 with 2439 viewstractorboy1978

Wigan this season is a good example. They were a far bigger mess than us. If I'm honest I expected us to be where they are right now.
One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 15:55 - Dec 2 with 2413 viewschrismakin

Yeah leam Richardson with his assistant PC at pompy and Wigan ;)

2nd point

19 players.. not all pcs choosing. Problem.. pcs reluctance to chance shape to make the most of the players he has available.

We need a head coach not a manager.

Back to you first point. Pc brought it on himself. Replacing a squad who were 7th and making it worse. It's quite incredible really. Still time to change it. But when you rip a squad apart you open yourself up.

Being close to promotion would be minimal expectation if not getting it. Being so far off.. not good enough.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:04 - Dec 2 with 2378 viewsITFC_Forever

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 15:55 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

2nd point

19 players.. not all pcs choosing. Problem.. pcs reluctance to chance shape to make the most of the players he has available.

Back to you first point. Pc brought it on himself. Replacing a squad who were 7th and making it worse. It's quite incredible really. Still time to change it. But when you rip a squad apart you open yourself up.

Being close to promotion would be minimal expectation if not getting it. Being so far off.. not good enough.

Not all PC's choosing???

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:12 - Dec 2 with 2345 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:04 - Dec 2 by ITFC_Forever

Not all PC's choosing???

10000% not a chance PC chose all 19 players

Why on earth would you go out an purchase players who don't suit your very restricted 4 2 3 1

A CB who's been in a back 3
A CM who's been in a central 3
A winger who can't score or cross for sht.
A midfielder who you stick as dcm and then as a 10 as you don't know what player he is

We know he wanted Jacobs.
We know he wanted crooks. Bradley.
We know he wanted a few more Wigan players.

No doubts PC struggled to get who he wanted but as he'd got rid of our squad ashton had no choice but to get involved himself to fill up the squad with players.

You don't sign players who don't suit your formation especially when you have 0 alternative to it

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:17 - Dec 2 with 2312 viewsitfcjoe

Mark Robins at Coventry - a club had gone backwards for years....

Appointed March 2017.

Promoted from League 2 17-18

8th in League 1

League 1 Champions

16th in Championship

And for all the talk of there being 'so much wrong' at ITFC, Evans was just hapless - their owners had kicked them out of their ground and City. We don't know what proper hardship is.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:17 - Dec 2 with 2305 viewsSwansea_Blue

There you go, you can sort Transfermarkt by incoming and outgoings. We top the list, but several clubs had 20+ new arrivals. Most clubs in the league signed 14+ new players and shipped out a similar number. I'm not sure it tells you much other than turnover is pretty high for the vast majority. It doesn't tell you how many of those are 1st team regulars though.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB3

PS, that's more about managers having to deal with largely new squads rather than them being new to the club themselves. Here's a list of a mangers by time at club. https://www.matchdayapp.com/blog/current-premier-league-and-football-league-mana

Danny Cowley probably best comparator in terms of time at club and large scale changes.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 16:25]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:18 - Dec 2 with 2304 viewsDubtractor

Most clubs evolve over transfer windows, with 4 or 5 key signings, and see gradual improvement.

We've brought in 19 players, at huge cost relative ti the division, expecting quick results. Players like morsy, celina, bonne, Walton, Edmondson etc will be on wages that other players in this division can only dream of.

And we're 11th.

I really don't know why anyone us surprised that a large chunk of our fan base are demanding more.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:20 - Dec 2 with 2281 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 15:52 - Dec 2 by tractorboy1978

Wigan this season is a good example. They were a far bigger mess than us. If I'm honest I expected us to be where they are right now.

I didn't think Wigan were in that much of a mess at the start of this season? And also, Richardson was already there wasn't he?

Login to get fewer ads

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:21 - Dec 2 with 2267 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:20 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

I didn't think Wigan were in that much of a mess at the start of this season? And also, Richardson was already there wasn't he?

PC was already here lol.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:23 - Dec 2 with 2261 viewsDubtractor

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:20 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

Mate, if you're just going to ignore the evidence in front of you then there is no point even asking questions.

Wigan started last season with a scratch team of kids having nearly gone out of business. Cook was already in charge of us too in case you forget.

And we weren't a mess, we were just perennial under achievers.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:23 - Dec 2 with 2257 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 15:55 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

2nd point

I think it's a fair point to say that Cook created this himself by throwing EVERYONE under the bus. But that's not what I was asking in my OP.

Did he and Richardson go into both Wigan and Pompey and turn them around in 1 transfer window?

I certainly think if we finish as far off as we are now, that's not good enough.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:27 - Dec 2 with 2222 viewsfooters

Cook was given the money to shop at Fortnum and Mason, yet we're all still being served Rustlers burgers. Enough of the excuses.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:27 - Dec 2 with 2218 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:17 - Dec 2 by itfcjoe

Mark Robins at Coventry - a club had gone backwards for years....

Appointed March 2017.

Promoted from League 2 17-18

8th in League 1

League 1 Champions

16th in Championship

And for all the talk of there being 'so much wrong' at ITFC, Evans was just hapless - their owners had kicked them out of their ground and City. We don't know what proper hardship is.

Whilst that's an excellent shout for turning a club around, that's several transfer windows he's had there. Certainly even with 2 Cook will struggle to get us up this year, but he's still currently on 1 window.

But yeah, that's an excellent job, I'll grant you that.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:28 - Dec 2 with 2211 viewsDanTheMan

Ranieri did alright with Leicester I guess.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:29 - Dec 2 with 2208 viewsRadioOrwell

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:18 - Dec 2 by Dubtractor

Most clubs evolve over transfer windows, with 4 or 5 key signings, and see gradual improvement.

We've brought in 19 players, at huge cost relative ti the division, expecting quick results. Players like morsy, celina, bonne, Walton, Edmondson etc will be on wages that other players in this division can only dream of.

And we're 11th.

I really don't know why anyone us surprised that a large chunk of our fan base are demanding more.

The moment for me that depressed me the most was when, after Crewe, PC went all ... give them credit, they worked hard, good players ...

FFS how low do we have to go ?
That should be 3 or 4 nil.

Oh and last night ... 2-0 at half time against kids.
FFS
One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:30 - Dec 2 with 2193 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:17 - Dec 2 by Swansea_Blue

There you go, you can sort Transfermarkt by incoming and outgoings. We top the list, but several clubs had 20+ new arrivals. Most clubs in the league signed 14+ new players and shipped out a similar number. I'm not sure it tells you much other than turnover is pretty high for the vast majority. It doesn't tell you how many of those are 1st team regulars though.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB3

PS, that's more about managers having to deal with largely new squads rather than them being new to the club themselves. Here's a list of a mangers by time at club. https://www.matchdayapp.com/blog/current-premier-league-and-football-league-mana

Danny Cowley probably best comparator in terms of time at club and large scale changes.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 16:25]

I was asking about turning a club around (that's been failing for years) as well. Not sure Cowley counts (yet). They're only just above us currently.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:32 - Dec 2 with 2178 viewsDanTheMan

Here's a fun one.

Paul Lambert for Norwich.

Just to add meat to the bones.

Previous finishes:
9th
16th
17th
22nd

Obvious downwards trajectory.

Lambert comes in after two games, Norwich win the League. I believe that's one transfer window and instant success.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 16:43]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:33 - Dec 2 with 2169 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:18 - Dec 2 by Dubtractor

And we're 11th.

I'm not surprised... but given what you yourself have laid out, I AM surprised some thought it would work immediately, and that those players (regardless of wages) would all work out immediately.

It could certainly be argued that Cook has tried to change too much too quickly, but that's not what I'm asking in this thread.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:33 - Dec 2 with 2154 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:23 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think it's a fair point to say that Cook created this himself by throwing EVERYONE under the bus. But that's not what I was asking in my OP.

Did he and Richardson go into both Wigan and Pompey and turn them around in 1 transfer window?

I certainly think if we finish as far off as we are now, that's not good enough.

Well at pompy he signed a shed load of players. When he joined in 2015
Pre season was fairly solid
Started season with no loss in first 10 games I think it was... ended up losing in play offs but were top end all season.
Following season.promotion after buying more players.

Wigan.. went in brought load of players.
Unbeaten in first 8 games.
Top end of table all season. Promotion.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:34 - Dec 2 with 2152 viewsPinewoodblue

2nd point

Paul Cook has managed to improve the squad but failed miserably to improve the team.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:35 - Dec 2 with 2145 viewshomer_123

Allardyce and Warnock spring to mind. Many a time they've been parachuted into ailing Clubs and turned them around.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:37 - Dec 2 with 2120 viewsfooters

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:33 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not surprised... but given what you yourself have laid out, I AM surprised some thought it would work immediately, and that those players (regardless of wages) would all work out immediately.

It could certainly be argued that Cook has tried to change too much too quickly, but that's not what I'm asking in this thread.

Are the players responsible for Cook's line-ups or horrific in-game management?

There's only so much blame that they can shoulder, some has to be Cook's. And it's certainly not been good enough.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:37 - Dec 2 with 2116 viewsPinewoodblue

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:30 - Dec 2 by The_Flashing_Smile

I was asking about turning a club around (that's been failing for years) as well. Not sure Cowley counts (yet). They're only just above us currently.

Cowley’s have a dozen players out of contract end of season, they didn’t set out to do it in one go. Cook did by offloading as many as he could.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:38 - Dec 2 with 2102 viewsHARRY10

Maybe because they did not have the 19 new signings, all the hype and talk of 'may God have mercy on L1, because we won't'.

Just who is it that Cook was not able to sign, that he will in the future ?
One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:38 - Dec 2 with 2099 viewschrismakin

One transfer window. I've asked a couple of times now and no-one's answered. on 16:37 - Dec 2 by footers

Are the players responsible for Cook's line-ups or horrific in-game management?

There's only so much blame that they can shoulder, some has to be Cook's. And it's certainly not been good enough.

I'd have loved to have seen their faces last week when the whiteboard showed fraser. Celina. Chaplin..

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024