Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? 17:10 - Dec 2 with 3982 viewsCheltenham_Blue

as Town fans? 6 months is it? 9?

Asking for a friend.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:23 - Dec 2 with 1784 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

*games
Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? (n/t) on 17:25 - Dec 2 with 1773 viewsAlexitfc2

[Post edited 14 Jan 2022 19:29]
Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:26 - Dec 2 with 1755 viewschrismakin

Depends if there is actual improvements to be seen rather than 1 step forward 10 back every 2 games.

Not winning at Wycombe then perform like a bottom 6 club every game after. That's not improving.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:33 - Dec 2 with 1748 viewspositivity

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:26 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

Depends if there is actual improvements to be seen rather than 1 step forward 10 back every 2 games.

Not winning at Wycombe then perform like a bottom 6 club every game after. That's not improving.

"1 step forward 10 back every 2 games"!!!!

by that reckoning we're 63 steps back on where we were after bolton.

sorry, can't agree with that!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:36 - Dec 2 with 1740 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:26 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

We performed like a bottom six club for the 2nd half of last season and a side as good as wycombe would have tonked us. So that's an improvement for sure.

You can't be suggesting we played like a bottom six club against Sunderland either surely, I get its hard to see it on the radio, but we really did play well. I think playing that well and still losing has hit confidence hard.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:41 - Dec 2 with 1714 viewschrismakin

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:36 - Dec 2 by Cheltenham_Blue

We performed like a bottom six club for the 2nd half of last season and a side as good as wycombe would have tonked us. So that's an improvement for sure.

You can't be suggesting we played like a bottom six club against Sunderland either surely, I get its hard to see it on the radio, but we really did play well. I think playing that well and still losing has hit confidence hard.

Have you heard of I follow chelts? Have a look it's fab.

Tbh the Sunderland game was huff puff and something we saw alot of last season. Create a bit. Didn't score. Then struggled to do anything 2nd half and lost the game.

Last season we best teams like promotion winning Blackpool. But I've forgot everything about last season was rubbish apparently and this season is miles better despite not being any different other than spending more on players.

But overall its not good enough. There's no sign that it's going in a upward trend at all. And that's the problem.
Having a good 45 minute here and there won't get us anywhere.

As you know I was a big PC fan. And believed he needed a bit of time. He's had that but it's just not working. Why. That's for the owners to work out. But the results and performances are showing its not going well.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2021 17:42]

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:41 - Dec 2 with 1717 viewsjayessess

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, isn't it? The further you are below expectations, the less time you get.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:18 - Dec 2 with 1673 viewsKeaneish

He deserves a new 5-year contract if this forum’s week long obsession with the greatness of Paul Lambert is anything to go by.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:23 - Dec 2 with 1662 viewsmylittletown

I think everyone knows really that it's not working, but they have some time for PC.
It is the same when you have a a salesman you like, but who isn't selling - you keep them on for too long and then regret having done so afterwards.
Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:27 - Dec 2 with 1650 viewsYallop

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:41 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

Tbh the Sunderland game was huff puff and something we saw alot of last season. Create a bit. Didn't score. Then struggled to do anything 2nd half and lost the game.

Last season we best teams like promotion winning Blackpool. But I've forgot everything about last season was rubbish apparently and this season is miles better despite not being any different other than spending more on players.

But overall its not good enough. There's no sign that it's going in a upward trend at all. And that's the problem.

As you know I was a big PC fan. And believed he needed a bit of time. He's had that but it's just not working. Why. That's for the owners to work out. But the results and performances are showing its not going well.

How did you do Sunderland on i follow? Illegal stream or do you live abroad?
Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:28 - Dec 2 with 1649 viewsBlueBadger

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:18 - Dec 2 by Keaneish

He deserves a new 5-year contract if this forum’s week long obsession with the greatness of Paul Lambert is anything to go by.

*The lack of self awareness klaxon*

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:28 - Dec 2 with 1650 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 17:41 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

"As you know I was a big PC fan."

You're a fan of whichever the board wind is blowing. Thats why you change your opinion so regularly. When the takeover was in the offing, you were all pro Evans.

"I hope they get what they wish for", I believe you said about anyone who wanted the takeover and Evans out.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:31 - Dec 2 with 1636 viewsjayessess

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:18 - Dec 2 by Keaneish

We're a good deal lower than we were when Lambert's contract extension was widely and deservedly panned.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:33 - Dec 2 with 1631 viewsKeaneish

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:23 - Dec 2 by mylittletown

I think everyone knows really that it's not working, but they have some time for PC.
It is the same when you have a a salesman you like, but who isn't selling - you keep them on for too long and then regret having done so afterwards.

Everything everyone asked to be changed last season has been changed. Now people are too impatient to wait for those changes to bring success and are too short-sighted to even remember what they wanted changed in the first place - the same people now demanding, er…change.

When you think about that as a paradigm, you kind of realise either how stupid some ITFC supporters are or how banal and flawed the human condition is.

Cook stays. We learn, we iterate, we build…this is what brings sustained success.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:36 - Dec 2 with 1611 viewschrismakin

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:28 - Dec 2 by Cheltenham_Blue

"As you know I was a big PC fan."

You're a fan of whichever the board wind is blowing. Thats why you change your opinion so regularly. When the takeover was in the offing, you were all pro Evans.

"I hope they get what they wish for", I believe you said about anyone who wanted the takeover and Evans out.

Absolutely I was concerned before it all happened. There are still some aspects I'm unsure of long term. But absolutely at the time I didn't like the sound of a pension pot effectively owning town when at least with Evans the debt was to him and the club whilst low. It was still being kept afloat. We will see of course how things go here over over next few years.

Am I sorry for changing opinions. Absolutely not. If you personally are incapable of changing feelings on things that's a horrible way to live. If you didn't like a manager but he was successful would you continue to dislike him? If the new owners did end up selling off the club would you still like them if we ended up being a non league side.

Life's full of opportunities to change opinions. Be open. Express yours and be proud of them.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:38 - Dec 2 with 1617 viewspositivity

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:31 - Dec 2 by jayessess

We're a good deal lower than we were when Lambert's contract extension was widely and deservedly panned.

rather better form though, not sure if we're allowed to count cup games now, but it was no wins in 11!

10 more years for cook on that basis!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:39 - Dec 2 with 1600 viewschrismakin

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:27 - Dec 2 by Yallop

How did you do Sunderland on i follow? Illegal stream or do you live abroad?

I watch it legally yes.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:44 - Dec 2 with 1596 viewsjayessess

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:33 - Dec 2 by Keaneish

Everything everyone asked to be changed last season has been changed. Now people are too impatient to wait for those changes to bring success and are too short-sighted to even remember what they wanted changed in the first place - the same people now demanding, er…change.

When you think about that as a paradigm, you kind of realise either how stupid some ITFC supporters are or how banal and flawed the human condition is.

Cook stays. We learn, we iterate, we build…this is what brings sustained success.

The idea of "give it time, we'll succeed" is wishful thinking, not borne out by the vast vast majority of managerial stints. Not here, not in football in general.

It's fine to be positive, it's fine to hope for the best, but I don't see why that makes people who refuse to be so naive "stupid".

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:47 - Dec 2 with 1589 viewsKeaneish

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:28 - Dec 2 by BlueBadger

*The lack of self awareness klaxon*

…says you repeating “the football is better” post hundreds of times last season.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 19:25 - Dec 2 with 1550 viewsYallop

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:39 - Dec 2 by chrismakin

I watch it legally yes.

So you were abroad?
Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 20:01 - Dec 2 with 1497 viewsKeaneish

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:44 - Dec 2 by jayessess

The idea of "give it time, we'll succeed" is wishful thinking, not borne out by the vast vast majority of managerial stints. Not here, not in football in general.

It's fine to be positive, it's fine to hope for the best, but I don't see why that makes people who refuse to be so naive "stupid".

…because history has taught us that prolonged success takes time to build. We should learn from history, if we don’t, in any walk of life, we’re stupid. I stand by my original statement. Time with the right plan, infrastructure and backing will bring success - we have all that. Time is our saviour here - not our enemy.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 20:17 - Dec 2 with 1452 viewsjayessess

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 20:01 - Dec 2 by Keaneish

…because history has taught us that prolonged success takes time to build. We should learn from history, if we don’t, in any walk of life, we’re stupid. I stand by my original statement. Time with the right plan, infrastructure and backing will bring success - we have all that. Time is our saviour here - not our enemy.

History hasn't taught us anything of the sort.

No appointment in Ipswich Town's history supports the assertion that good managerial stints usually begin with 9 months of sustained poor form. Most of them demonstrate quite the opposite, that sustained poor performance is usually a prelude simply to more poor performance, until finally the end comes.

You might believe it will be different this time, you might have observed things about us that lead you to believe we'll improve soon. You might even be right! But, history definitively isn't on your side here. History says that past performance is the best guide to future performance, that we won't improve dramatically from here onwards and that Cook won't turn it round, like Lambert, Jewell, Keane and Hurst didn't.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 20:23 - Dec 2 with 1427 viewsjeera

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 19:25 - Dec 2 by Yallop

So you were abroad?

Petty angle to take.

He was talking about the game, whether you agree with the views on the game or not is quite different to the agenda you're pushing now.

If someone says they are watching legally then that's that. Where someone lives is their business.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 20:26 - Dec 2 with 1415 viewsjayessess

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 20:23 - Dec 2 by jeera

Petty angle to take.

He was talking about the game, whether you agree with the views on the game or not is quite different to the agenda you're pushing now.

If someone says they are watching legally then that's that. Where someone lives is their business.

In any case, giving the football club you love money they would not otherwise have got, to watch a match you could not otherwise have seen, is pretty much the definition of a victimless crime.

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 20:27 - Dec 2 with 1414 viewspennblue

Is there a consensus on how long we give a manager now? on 18:33 - Dec 2 by Keaneish

I think people are too tainted from what has happened in previous years. There is an assumption that it will turn out the same. They may be right of course, but I do believe Cook will not put up with any chancers and changes will be made in January once more.

Strategy wise, the system he wants to play, I mean a lot of teams are playing it right, Chelsea's formation is a variation on the theme.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024