Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... 09:38 - Dec 3 with 998 viewsBondiBlue

...how about this: would we have been any worse off if Evans had presided over Cook's demolition man transfer window instead of the new guys? Sure, we wouldn't have ended up with many, if any, of the new players, but given that they are starting to play like a bunch of big time charlies, would that have been such a bad thing? Maybe Cook on a smaller budget would have been forced into evolution, not revolution.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:41 - Dec 3 with 961 viewsKeno

so basically you are saying Evans should have stayed?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2021 9:44]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:41 - Dec 3 with 963 viewsGarv

Footballers lose games and suddenly become big time charlies. You have to laugh.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:47 - Dec 3 with 942 viewsBondiBlue

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:41 - Dec 3 by Garv

Footballers lose games and suddenly become big time charlies. You have to laugh.

Celina's been fannying around for weeks. Morsy, as much as i like his style, only turns up for big games. We smash portsmouth and wycombe away then put in limp performances against cambridge, afc wimbledon, accrington etc etc. Big time charlies.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:48 - Dec 3 with 936 viewsBondiBlue

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:41 - Dec 3 by Keno

so basically you are saying Evans should have stayed?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2021 9:44]

Ha! God no. I'm wondering (not for the first time) if too much cash to throw around isn't necessarily a good thing. Not many rich people 'run towards adversity'.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:50 - Dec 3 with 924 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:48 - Dec 3 by BondiBlue

Ha! God no. I'm wondering (not for the first time) if too much cash to throw around isn't necessarily a good thing. Not many rich people 'run towards adversity'.

You may have a point.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:52 - Dec 3 with 914 viewspositivity

yes, and the trajectory would be far more likely to be continuing decline rather than the expected medium-term improvement.

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:52 - Dec 3 with 914 viewsKeno

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:48 - Dec 3 by BondiBlue

oddly enough its a bit like the Magic Jim Syndrome"

he was a better manager without money to spend

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:54 - Dec 3 with 899 viewsBondiBlue

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:52 - Dec 3 by positivity

yes, and the trajectory would be far more likely to be continuing decline rather than the expected medium-term improvement.

Probably

Login to get fewer ads

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 10:02 - Dec 3 with 873 viewsBondiBlue

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:50 - Dec 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

You may have a point.

There has been a lot of talk of building a culture from ashton. But if they really did their research, they'd know that the culture of ipswich has always been a community club punching above our weight. So pouring money in because a manager says all the players are crap doesn't really fit with that culture. It turns us into big boys, which we've never been, and it's not surprising that the fans are struggling to figure out what to expect. This filters through to the players, and here we are.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 10:56 - Dec 3 with 784 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 10:02 - Dec 3 by BondiBlue

There has been a lot of talk of building a culture from ashton. But if they really did their research, they'd know that the culture of ipswich has always been a community club punching above our weight. So pouring money in because a manager says all the players are crap doesn't really fit with that culture. It turns us into big boys, which we've never been, and it's not surprising that the fans are struggling to figure out what to expect. This filters through to the players, and here we are.

On the other hand, those players had been failing for years so probably did need replacing (just maybe not all in one go).

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:05 - Dec 3 with 757 viewsRyorry

Flogging.

Dead.

Horse.

:(

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:24 - Dec 3 with 733 viewsDarth_Koont

They are not “starting to play like a bunch of big time charlies”.

They have been getting better, a little too slowly as we’re still not getting the midfield/attack balance right. But there’s no problem with effort or “passion”.

And any comparison with the previous squad and owner is moot given the obviously higher ceiling of this squad that we’ve seen on several occasions, and not just isolated flashes during matches.

Pronouns: He/Him

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:32 - Dec 3 with 701 viewsGarv

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:47 - Dec 3 by BondiBlue

Celina's been fannying around for weeks. Morsy, as much as i like his style, only turns up for big games. We smash portsmouth and wycombe away then put in limp performances against cambridge, afc wimbledon, accrington etc etc. Big time charlies.

Fannying around scoring winning goals and generally being our brightest creative player. Interesting.

Did Morsy show up for Doncaster in your view?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:43 - Dec 3 with 665 viewsSouperJim

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 09:47 - Dec 3 by BondiBlue

Our game management is atrocious. We beat the sides who turn up to be beat. We struggle against anyone who fancies giving us a game, regardless of their stature or position in the league.

It is my belief that the manager has to take the lion's share of responsibility for that. Blaming two of our best players is, for me, a weird take.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:48 - Dec 3 with 646 viewsDarth_Koont

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:43 - Dec 3 by SouperJim

Our game management is atrocious. We beat the sides who turn up to be beat. We struggle against anyone who fancies giving us a game, regardless of their stature or position in the league.

It is my belief that the manager has to take the lion's share of responsibility for that. Blaming two of our best players is, for me, a weird take.

I think that’s probably a fair view to come to based on our home games. But that’s been different away from home.

Overall, it’s a consistency problem and maybe more specifically a team balance issue. Because we can struggle against poorer teams and blow away good teams. We can’t expect to do the latter every game but we just need to keep pushing more towards those performances.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:52 - Dec 3 with 621 viewsSouperJim

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:48 - Dec 3 by Darth_Koont

I think that’s probably a fair view to come to based on our home games. But that’s been different away from home.

Overall, it’s a consistency problem and maybe more specifically a team balance issue. Because we can struggle against poorer teams and blow away good teams. We can’t expect to do the latter every game but we just need to keep pushing more towards those performances.

I've watched every league game and I don't really see the divide, but my memory for individual games isn't always the best.

I think it can depend on the style of the opposition. I haven't fact checked this at all, but I have the impression that we are more comfortable against sides who play "better" passing football like ourselves. We tend to outpunch them. Against the ugly teams (tozer's long bomb certainly sticks in the memory) we crumble.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 12:04 - Dec 3 with 599 viewsDarth_Koont

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:52 - Dec 3 by SouperJim

I've watched every league game and I don't really see the divide, but my memory for individual games isn't always the best.

I think it can depend on the style of the opposition. I haven't fact checked this at all, but I have the impression that we are more comfortable against sides who play "better" passing football like ourselves. We tend to outpunch them. Against the ugly teams (tozer's long bomb certainly sticks in the memory) we crumble.

You might be right re: opposition style rather than league position being the issue. Certainly Cheltenham (second half) and Accrington were teams we couldn’t match physically. And Rotherham weren’t overly physical but they were certainly direct and quick in attack.

Of course, we need to manage both simple, more physical sides and teams that want to try and play through us. I think that’s the frustration at the moment that we don’t have a clearer idea of how to do that or impose what we want to do in those trickier games.

It’s the sort of thing confidence and momentum would help massively but it’s chicken and egg if we can’t string enough performances and results together to build those.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 12:16 - Dec 3 with 574 viewsSouperJim

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 12:04 - Dec 3 by Darth_Koont

You might be right re: opposition style rather than league position being the issue. Certainly Cheltenham (second half) and Accrington were teams we couldn’t match physically. And Rotherham weren’t overly physical but they were certainly direct and quick in attack.

Of course, we need to manage both simple, more physical sides and teams that want to try and play through us. I think that’s the frustration at the moment that we don’t have a clearer idea of how to do that or impose what we want to do in those trickier games.

It’s the sort of thing confidence and momentum would help massively but it’s chicken and egg if we can’t string enough performances and results together to build those.

It pains me to say it, but Rotherham are everything we aren't. Highly organised, resilient, confident and relentless. Given our footballing ability, if we had just a little bit of what they've got, we'd easily be a top 6 side. And if we had a lot of it, we'd be well on our way to being able to hold our own in the division above.

Can Cook deliver it? Unfortunately I have my doubts.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 12:34 - Dec 3 with 527 viewsChurchman

Evans is a stain that I doubt will ever be shifted. His tenure was marked by rotting the club out from the inside, year on year decline (bar MM defying gravity for a couple of years) hidden behind this myth people put about that he saved the club and was the only option. He was a chancer looking for a quick payday. You can guarantee any player being shipped out for money, Evans would have trousered 50% of it. Offset wages, yawn yawn. He always did that.

In terms of money, the club shifted a lot of players off the payroll, sold a few for £££. I seem to remember Ashton said that it was pretty budget neutral and I’ve no reason yet to believe he lied.

As to the players Cook brought in, how often does a manager get every purchase right? I’ve never heard of anyone doing it. Robson was about the closest. That’s why changing the whole team carried a risk - but that was his choice and can justifiably scrutinised for it.

Maybe now is the time for a bit of team evolution? It’s gutting that the season is just about gone but here we are.
Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 12:35 - Dec 3 with 523 viewsDarth_Koont

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 12:16 - Dec 3 by SouperJim

It pains me to say it, but Rotherham are everything we aren't. Highly organised, resilient, confident and relentless. Given our footballing ability, if we had just a little bit of what they've got, we'd easily be a top 6 side. And if we had a lot of it, we'd be well on our way to being able to hold our own in the division above.

Can Cook deliver it? Unfortunately I have my doubts.

I think the organisation has improved since the start of the season. Certainly in pure backline/keeper terms and having Morsy in the middle but also we’ve seen better from the more advanced players tracking back.

I think our strength and our weakness is the often maverick talent behind Bonne. When they don’t help push the opposition back and hold the ball further up the pitch (or convert chances like against Sunderland who we pretty much dominated otherwise) then we’re likely to struggle.

Clearly we want the team to be on the front foot as that’s where our real strength lies but we have to be better at imposing that. Which is why I think a player like Aluko has been particularly good as he keeps the ball so well further up the pitch. Or Burns who can pin back the LB because of his threat with open space behind. But really, we haven’t seen that happen on the left or in the centre enough. Work out that conundrum and I think we can become the team we want to be and “highly organised, resilient, confident and relentless” like Rotherham.

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 12:42 - Dec 3 with 515 viewsblue62

Can you have 'Big Time Charlies' in League One, I mean if we were playing Man U, City and Liverpool then maybe but Plymouth, Wigan......
Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 20:18 - Dec 3 with 398 viewsBondiBlue

Instead of debating Lambert v Cook for a second... on 11:32 - Dec 3 by Garv

Fannying around scoring winning goals and generally being our brightest creative player. Interesting.

Did Morsy show up for Doncaster in your view?

Even the biggest time charlies turn up for their home debut 😉

Not trying to turn this into an anti-morsy rant. I like him a lot and think he's one of the best players we've had for a long time. I just think that one of the side effects from signing SUCH good players for this level is that even the most professional of players may start thinking that this should be easy and occasionally switch off when tired and winning, which is something we've done a lot recently.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024