Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No subject 21:24 - Dec 4 with 764 viewsjudespiveyg

In my opinion, there's such a thing as winning the right way. Clubs that have opted to win at all costs have never sat right with me, neither have fans who encourage such an approach. I was always critical of McCarthy, in theory our most successful manager in the last fifteen years, not because of league position, I was content enough to see Ipswich finish mid-table in the Championship, but because of his willingness to sacrifice entertaining football in the name of results.

Paul Cook's sacking leaves the same ugly taste in my mouth. Its a product of a win at all costs, immediate results mindset. The manager and the style he chooses to play are a big part of a football club's identity that we all want to buy into, but why should I care if the manager is deemed so expendable? And this is coming from a guy who only watched one game of the Paul Cook reign because of uni/playing on Saturday afternoons. It certainly sounded like Cook had the team set up to attack and take teams on (the right way to approach a football match).

Football needs romanticism, would any of us be football fans if it was a solely pragmatic endeavour? I've always preferred playing football to watching, caring more for my own team's results than Ipswich's, so for me the romanticism while watching is of central importance. I want to see something truly develop from the ground up, if that means an extra couple of years in League One I don't care. In truth I'd rather the club had hung on to the youngsters everyone seemed so eager to see gone last summer.

Not really sure what my overall point here is, but I will say that if you have a purely pragmatic view to watching football, without any romanticism then your priorities are wrong.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2021 21:33]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

No subject on 21:30 - Dec 4 with 723 viewsLeoMuff

Tbf he wasn’t their man, and it was a terrible look that we spent a fortune and are underperforming and Leam is flying

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

No subject on 21:33 - Dec 4 with 703 viewsHerbivore

If you'd watched us play more than once under Cook you'd probably understand why he's been sacked.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

No subject on 21:35 - Dec 4 with 652 viewsSwansea_Blue

If only it was win at all costs! Trouble is we weren’t winning the wrong way, not that we were winning the wrong way. If he’d been grinding out dull 1-0s and we sat in 3rd he’d be perfectly safe.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

No subject on 21:36 - Dec 4 with 644 viewsSteve_M

The problem with Cook was that he wasn’t very good at winning football matches here. All other considerations are secondary to that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

No subject on 21:37 - Dec 4 with 623 viewsFtnfwest

Ah well at least we can all look forward to being pidgeon holed and targeted for some new reason other than being ‘cook in’ or ‘cook out’
No subject on 21:44 - Dec 4 with 591 viewsjudespiveyg

No subject on 21:36 - Dec 4 by Steve_M

The problem with Cook was that he wasn’t very good at winning football matches here. All other considerations are secondary to that.

From an owner's perspective maybe. But you can't tell me that as a fan you'd rather see Allardyce come in (not that he would but I'm just making a point), immediately get us promoted playing ugly, direct football, just to leave soon after, than see us bring in someone like Dyer, maybe take another year a two in League One, but playing the right way and eventually getting promoted on the basis of a nurtured, solid foundation after a slow first few months or year.

No subject on 21:45 - Dec 4 with 564 viewschrismakin

Problem is. You make it sound like everything has been Rosy and we've must stumbled into a run of bad games. It's been coming.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

No subject on 21:50 - Dec 4 with 525 viewsSwansea_Blue

No subject on 21:36 - Dec 4 by Steve_M

Oh I don’t know. Doubling down on entrenched positions to try and defend a misplaced perception of online credibility seems like a primary consideration tonight.

How the heck anyone can criticise the club for sacking someone who has a worse record than Lambert, despite better players, and who leaves us in mid table in L1 and barely hanging on to a cup tie against a lowly L2 side, is beyond me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

No subject on 21:58 - Dec 4 with 481 viewsNthQldITFC

No subject on 21:37 - Dec 4 by Ftnfwest

Ah well at least we can all look forward to being pidgeon holed and targeted for some new reason other than being ‘cook in’ or ‘cook out’

Those of us who spell pigeon without a 'd' think you 'D-inners' don't know anything about the game.

#D-out

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

No subject on 22:12 - Dec 4 with 440 viewsFtnfwest

No subject on 21:58 - Dec 4 by NthQldITFC

Those of us who spell pigeon without a 'd' think you 'D-inners' don't know anything about the game.

#D-out

Strike 1! Was expecting keno tbh but well played!
No subject on 22:22 - Dec 4 with 397 viewsjudespiveyg

No subject on 21:50 - Dec 4 by Swansea_Blue

Oh I don’t know. Doubling down on entrenched positions to try and defend a misplaced perception of online credibility seems like a primary consideration tonight.

How the heck anyone can criticise the club for sacking someone who has a worse record than Lambert, despite better players, and who leaves us in mid table in L1 and barely hanging on to a cup tie against a lowly L2 side, is beyond me.

Peace and love brother. Regarding your second paragraph, my post essentially answered that question. The reason that I criticise the club is because for me as a fan winning isn't everything.

I should add that I don't have any particular attachment to Cook, he wasn't who I wanted the club to hire, I watched one Pizza Cup game under him and that was it. My concerns are over principle rather than for the man himself. As crazy as it may sound I felt similar when Lambert left, only difference is that he was given a more appropriate amount of time.

No subject on 22:32 - Dec 4 with 365 viewsjeera

No subject on 22:22 - Dec 4 by judespiveyg

Peace and love brother. Regarding your second paragraph, my post essentially answered that question. The reason that I criticise the club is because for me as a fan winning isn't everything.

I should add that I don't have any particular attachment to Cook, he wasn't who I wanted the club to hire, I watched one Pizza Cup game under him and that was it. My concerns are over principle rather than for the man himself. As crazy as it may sound I felt similar when Lambert left, only difference is that he was given a more appropriate amount of time.

Fella, some of the games I've seen we've been on top then for no apparent reason just ran out of ideas.

Often in the second half because you'd assume the opposition had spent the first half learning what we're about and how to counter it following a half time team chat.

We would come out doing the same thing and find ourselves hitting brick walls time after time.

People with far more insight than me were saying the same thing, that Cook seemed unable to adapt and change things about for the better. Substitutions were being called out by fans as they were being made and often proven to be correct in their concerns.

I've not seen any abuse of Cook, despite some weird claims to the contrary, and I was one of many who liked him when he came in and was desperate for him to do well.

But liking someone and appreciating their will to do well doesn't mean much if the points are not mounting up too.

Trust uni's going well for you.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024