Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shocking decision 00:20 - Dec 5 with 1425 viewsbraveblue

We have turned into a shambles of a club. So much going for us this season but was always a two season job. Cook had one transfer were window. One!!! So who do you all think we will get now who will wave the magic wand. Tragic.
Shocking decision on 00:22 - Dec 5 with 1381 viewsgtsb1966

He had one in league 1 with the biggest budget yet showed no sign of improvement.
Shocking decision on 00:27 - Dec 5 with 1357 viewschrismakin

Theres a bigger picture at play.

Cooks run and the turn in crowds could and most likely have lead to a drop in attendances. With the financial aspect of this takeover, the club couldn't afford to let that happen.

If PC was close to doing what some felt he was.. i.e goal scoring. Entertaining games etc he probably would have saved himself. But everything dried up. Wins. Goals and performances.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Shocking decision on 00:34 - Dec 5 with 1313 viewstimothyeo

Let's ignore his awful record last season, as some tend to anyway.

Let's also ignore the quality of player at his disposal because that alone should be enough to get him sacked right now, but of course half our fanbase get starry eyed whenever a manager says roughly the right things, or anyone from the club for that matter. I remember when things got tough against Evans a couple years ago so he spouted a load of clichés and the likes of Dollers lapped them up.

Lets also ignore the clear inability to motivate players and man manage the squad, ensuring the likes of Pigott feel involved and are sharp when called on for an inevitable dry spell for Bonne.

Lets look at the core fundamental basics that we arent seeing tactically or at least not consistently.

I'm not going to bemoan the long ball approach that creeps in every game as that's a result rather than a cause.

What I fail to understand is what on earth our triggers for pressing are beyond Bonne working hard up front and occasionally a couple behind deciding to join in - there's no organisation or consistency to this basic and its outstanding.

When we lose the ball - half the time it looks like we want to play with a low block instead of high press here which is fine if not a little negative for the league we are in. Other times our midfield will chase singularly and leave a gaping hole between our midfield and centre backs. We've been lucky that the quality in the number 10 position in this league is generally dreadful as the gap is consistently far too big.

When we decide we are going to defend with a low block then the basic fundamental is to revert into defensive shape ASAP - we don't even do this!

We are basically playing a "We have a better squad of players so tactics are irrelevant" model and its enough against the bottom sides (generally speaking) but not the above average sides (generally speaking).

Cook is adding absolutely nothing to us on the pitch. You could send this group of players out without a manager and essentially achieve the same.

There's far more wrong if you want to go more in depth but we are talking about very basic shape during transitions of losing winning and having the ball.

I may have mentioned this before but, Cook Out.
Shocking decision on 00:58 - Dec 5 with 1251 viewsIllinoisblue

13 wins in 44 games. Can’t defend it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Shocking decision on 01:36 - Dec 5 with 1170 viewsGuthrum

Someone, hopefully, who can organise a decent crop of players to put together consistently strong performances, who is adaptable in difficult situations a d can motivate his men.

I liked Cook, but he was not really achieving the above, or showing that much promise of leading us to promotion.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Shocking decision on 02:21 - Dec 5 with 1083 viewsBondiBlue

Shocking decision on 00:34 - Dec 5 by timothyeo

Let's ignore his awful record last season, as some tend to anyway.

Let's also ignore the quality of player at his disposal because that alone should be enough to get him sacked right now, but of course half our fanbase get starry eyed whenever a manager says roughly the right things, or anyone from the club for that matter. I remember when things got tough against Evans a couple years ago so he spouted a load of clichés and the likes of Dollers lapped them up.

Lets also ignore the clear inability to motivate players and man manage the squad, ensuring the likes of Pigott feel involved and are sharp when called on for an inevitable dry spell for Bonne.

Lets look at the core fundamental basics that we arent seeing tactically or at least not consistently.

I'm not going to bemoan the long ball approach that creeps in every game as that's a result rather than a cause.

What I fail to understand is what on earth our triggers for pressing are beyond Bonne working hard up front and occasionally a couple behind deciding to join in - there's no organisation or consistency to this basic and its outstanding.

When we lose the ball - half the time it looks like we want to play with a low block instead of high press here which is fine if not a little negative for the league we are in. Other times our midfield will chase singularly and leave a gaping hole between our midfield and centre backs. We've been lucky that the quality in the number 10 position in this league is generally dreadful as the gap is consistently far too big.

When we decide we are going to defend with a low block then the basic fundamental is to revert into defensive shape ASAP - we don't even do this!

We are basically playing a "We have a better squad of players so tactics are irrelevant" model and its enough against the bottom sides (generally speaking) but not the above average sides (generally speaking).

Cook is adding absolutely nothing to us on the pitch. You could send this group of players out without a manager and essentially achieve the same.

There's far more wrong if you want to go more in depth but we are talking about very basic shape during transitions of losing winning and having the ball.

I may have mentioned this before but, Cook Out.

But we've beaten some top teams (pompey, wycombe) and drawn or lost to teams you'd expect us to win. This seems more like an issue with player motivation than tactics. I don't disagree that our shape hasn't worked but i think there's also an element of a 'we're too good to play at this level'. Also the manager's responsibility so not a defence of cook. A stronger backroom staff (starting with an assistant mamager, could have helped to remind players that they need to try no matter where in the pyramid they are playing.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Shocking decision on 07:04 - Dec 5 with 796 viewsBlueBadger

What exactly about languishing in the middle of the third division for the third season running were you most enjoying?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Shocking decision on 07:05 - Dec 5 with 790 viewsBlueBadger

Shocking decision on 00:58 - Dec 5 by Illinoisblue

13 wins in 44 games. Can’t defend it.

There's a lot of softcocks who spent the McCarthy era crying about people 'accepting mediocrity' now crying because a manger with a wholly mediocre record here has been sacked.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Shocking decision on 07:51 - Dec 5 with 671 viewsHerbivore

I'm not sure how it's a shocking decision. If we'd seen one of our rivals perform the way we did in the final third of last season and then follow it up by spending huge money in the summer and languishing in midtable approaching halfway in the following season we wouldn't be at all surprised if they sacked him. You can't consistently underperform for that length of time with no real sign that it's going to turn and expect to continue to be backed. Last few weeks it's been back to blaming the players and even turning on the fans, with hindsight that's the behaviour of a dead man walking.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024