Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This 09:44 - Dec 5 with 3222 viewsMullet

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This on 09:50 - Dec 5 with 3051 viewsGuthrum

Interesting little titbit in there. Was it wise for the Manager in person to be going all the way up to Tyneside on a scouting mission the day before a game, especially when the team is struggling a bit?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This on 09:52 - Dec 5 with 2994 viewsHerbivore

Sadly these days it takes more than enthusiasm to be a capable manager. Always came across as a decent bloke and I don't feel any ill will towards him, it just didn't work here for him at all.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 9:55]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This on 09:53 - Dec 5 with 2971 viewshadleighboyblue

Absolutely agree , well said .

Pc's downfall was not being able to bring Richardson with him , the 2 of them together would have worked .

I wish PC well , he's a real football man but was let down by poor coaching / tactical awareness .

Liam Manning looks like a good fit for what we need , someone with new ideas
This on 09:54 - Dec 5 with 2952 viewspointofblue

This on 09:50 - Dec 5 by Guthrum

Interesting little titbit in there. Was it wise for the Manager in person to be going all the way up to Tyneside on a scouting mission the day before a game, especially when the team is struggling a bit?

Especially when the game was live on ITV4 so he could have watched it from home.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

This on 10:17 - Dec 5 with 2764 viewsBasuco

This on 09:50 - Dec 5 by Guthrum

Or was it the mark of PC, he must have known that the appointment of JM without his agreement signalled the end was fast approaching, but still went and watched a player live where you see his work off the all as well as on it.
This on 10:25 - Dec 5 with 2674 viewsWD19

This on 09:52 - Dec 5 by Herbivore

Sadly these days it takes more than enthusiasm to be a capable manager. Always came across as a decent bloke and I don't feel any ill will towards him, it just didn't work here for him at all.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 9:55]

I find this repeated notion from some that Cook is/was somehow a not very good manager because it didn’t work for him here strange. Football has not evolved that much in 12-18 months.

The key but is ‘why’ it did not work for him here….and of all the possibilities ‘because he lost all of ability overnight’ is one of the less likely answers.
This on 10:26 - Dec 5 with 2626 viewsHerbivore

This on 10:25 - Dec 5 by WD19

I find this repeated notion from some that Cook is/was somehow a not very good manager because it didn’t work for him here strange. Football has not evolved that much in 12-18 months.

The key but is ‘why’ it did not work for him here….and of all the possibilities ‘because he lost all of ability overnight’ is one of the less likely answers.

Righto.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This on 10:28 - Dec 5 with 2598 viewsSomethingBlue

This on 09:54 - Dec 5 by pointofblue

Especially when the game was live on ITV4 so he could have watched it from home.

Tbf you'd always want to be watching in person if you wanted to get an idea of a team's shape and habits.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

This on 10:28 - Dec 5 with 2581 viewsOsborneOneNil

This on 09:54 - Dec 5 by pointofblue

Haha! You can’t scout a player watching a game on tv. Not the same as being there in person. Lots of off the ball stuff you miss.
This on 10:35 - Dec 5 with 2487 viewspointofblue

This on 10:28 - Dec 5 by SomethingBlue

Tbf you'd always want to be watching in person if you wanted to get an idea of a team's shape and habits.

Was Cook worried about team shape and habits? He’d still play 4-2-3-1 and expecting attacking play out wide with Donacien and Clements. Did he really think Charlton would approach Gateshead away the same as us at home? Actually, he probably did.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 10:45]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

This on 10:36 - Dec 5 with 2477 viewsBasuco

Cook had to go because he would not or could not, react to what was happening in front of him on the pitch, when the initial game plan was not working we all knew Town would throw away a lead to draw or lose. When even Crewe and Cambridge were able to make a change that put us on the back foot and PC had no idea how to gain control of the game back again. The next manager just has to be able to make changes to dominate the second half of games in the same way as we did in so many first half's.
This on 10:39 - Dec 5 with 2431 viewsbilllm

This on 09:53 - Dec 5 by hadleighboyblue

Absolutely agree , well said .

Pc's downfall was not being able to bring Richardson with him , the 2 of them together would have worked .

I wish PC well , he's a real football man but was let down by poor coaching / tactical awareness .

Liam Manning looks like a good fit for what we need , someone with new ideas

100% my thoughts,
This on 10:52 - Dec 5 with 2290 viewsandytown

This on 10:17 - Dec 5 by Basuco

Or was it the mark of PC, he must have known that the appointment of JM without his agreement signalled the end was fast approaching, but still went and watched a player live where you see his work off the all as well as on it.

Do we know for definite that JM was appointed without Cook’s agreement?
This on 11:51 - Dec 5 with 2087 viewsstonojnr

This on 10:28 - Dec 5 by OsborneOneNil

Haha! You can’t scout a player watching a game on tv. Not the same as being there in person. Lots of off the ball stuff you miss.

and thats why you employ club scouts who live in that region to do that job for you, the manager shouldnt have been wasting his time & energy on that kind of travelling when he had much bigger problems to fix here and needed to focus on that.

and it wasnt about scouting a player, it was supposedly to scout Charlton ahead of Tuesdays game, which as they played a different team to the one we'll face,even if they stick to the same style, it probably wont have been that informative, or anything he didnt already know about them.
This on 11:57 - Dec 5 with 2027 viewsgordon

I bet Ashton's sending him loads of emails now demanding that he upload a copy of his Gateshead scouting report onto the ITFC google drive.
This on 12:16 - Dec 5 with 1926 viewsAlanG296

I think he has failed here because of what was missing - Leam Richardson or an equal replacement. Not saying that Cook is not a good manager, but don't think he's adapted to working without an effective number 2. These days it takes more people than just a good manager to be successful. Even the most successful managers have quality technical staff working with them.
This on 12:23 - Dec 5 with 1881 viewsIllinoisblue

13 wins in 44 games.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This on 12:34 - Dec 5 with 1781 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed.

He didn’t get the results needed clearly. But the conclusions and judgements on here as to why have often been ludicrous based on what we know of Cook and also the past 20 years of following Ipswich.

The bad news is we’ll no doubt have to deal with the same self-opinionated bobbins and people calling it early on the next manager too. Let’s just hope we have a good few months and I’ll take people using it to rubbish Cook and big up the new man as the next Burley.

Pronouns: He/Him

This on 12:49 - Dec 5 with 1672 viewsgordon

This on 12:16 - Dec 5 by AlanG296

I think he has failed here because of what was missing - Leam Richardson or an equal replacement. Not saying that Cook is not a good manager, but don't think he's adapted to working without an effective number 2. These days it takes more people than just a good manager to be successful. Even the most successful managers have quality technical staff working with them.

Think he's probably just quite an infectious, positive personality, good for morale etc, and if you combine that with staff who know how to run training sessions and set a team up it works really well - but if you don't have those skills around him it doesn't work well.
This on 13:11 - Dec 5 with 1522 viewsDarth_Koont

This on 12:49 - Dec 5 by gordon

Think he's probably just quite an infectious, positive personality, good for morale etc, and if you combine that with staff who know how to run training sessions and set a team up it works really well - but if you don't have those skills around him it doesn't work well.

Wouldn’t Cook himself have that insight if the training sessions/team set-up was lacking? Certainly he’d have vastly more information and experience to go on than we have.

I just think the very nature of football management and the real difference between success/failure is less simple. If it’s anything like what I’ve read about football, other sports and improvement processes in general, it’s predominantly a collection of tiny margins and marginal gains, plus trickier areas to grasp or achieve like confidence and momentum.

I’d be gobsmacked if he just decided to wing it with sub-par preparation. Or that he wasn’t aware of the standard.

Pronouns: He/Him

This on 13:32 - Dec 5 with 1321 viewsgordon

This on 13:11 - Dec 5 by Darth_Koont

Wouldn’t Cook himself have that insight if the training sessions/team set-up was lacking? Certainly he’d have vastly more information and experience to go on than we have.

I just think the very nature of football management and the real difference between success/failure is less simple. If it’s anything like what I’ve read about football, other sports and improvement processes in general, it’s predominantly a collection of tiny margins and marginal gains, plus trickier areas to grasp or achieve like confidence and momentum.

I’d be gobsmacked if he just decided to wing it with sub-par preparation. Or that he wasn’t aware of the standard.

I think it's one of the hardest things (in life) for individuals to judge just how/when/why they're lacking and need support / advice, particularly in professions where being confidence / assertive / positive / certain is important (like football management), and more so in masculine environments.

Really can't imagine Paul Cook feeling comfortable going to Mark Ashton after 10 games (e.g.) and saying he needed to bring in an assistant to help him with tactics. It would have been an admission of weakness, and I think he probably never felt comfortable in his position at ITFC because of the way he was recruited by Evans without being told about the takeover etc., then all these new people turn up, when he'd been hoping to have the run of the place.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024