Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? 11:49 - Dec 5 with 2608 viewstractorboy1978

Considering he's been in and around the club all season so far whilst not wanting to take a role, feels strange that he's now taken one a couple of days before PC was given the boot?

I'm not really sure what to make of it but he was brought in with a purpose wasn't he? A purpose that surely goes beyond being a caretaker manager for two weeks? Perhaps I am being presumptuous that it'll be him that takes charge on Tuesday. I guess we will find out more tomorrow.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 11:50 - Dec 5 with 2278 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think people are reading too much into it.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 11:52 - Dec 5 with 2261 viewstractordownsouth

Like most people, I would have liked to see him in as Cook's Number 2 - I think they'd have been a good combination.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 11:59 - Dec 5 with 2211 viewsgainsboroughblue

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 11:52 - Dec 5 by tractordownsouth

Like most people, I would have liked to see him in as Cook's Number 2 - I think they'd have been a good combination.

Maybe that was the idea and Cook wasn't keen on it. I suspect more truths will unravel.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 12:03 - Dec 5 with 2202 viewsPhilTWTD

Think the amount he has been around the club has been overstated, was around at the training ground a few times at the end of last season. Not seen him at many games this season.

Wasn't so much that he didn't want to take a role, more than PC didn't want someone who was after a manager's job of his own and might be off a couple of months after taking on the assistant's job here.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 12:56 - Dec 5 with 2041 viewshype313

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 12:03 - Dec 5 by PhilTWTD

Think the amount he has been around the club has been overstated, was around at the training ground a few times at the end of last season. Not seen him at many games this season.

Wasn't so much that he didn't want to take a role, more than PC didn't want someone who was after a manager's job of his own and might be off a couple of months after taking on the assistant's job here.

Interesting, every home game I have been to (8 league and cup games) he has been sat at everyone, just below you lot in the journo gantry.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:00 - Dec 5 with 2001 viewsitfcjoe

I just wonder if it is his job to lose?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:08 - Dec 5 with 1904 viewsSWGF

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 12:56 - Dec 5 by hype313

Interesting, every home game I have been to (8 league and cup games) he has been sat at everyone, just below you lot in the journo gantry.

Yeah. Seemed omnipresent. Always in the same seat.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

That is good to know on 13:12 - Dec 5 with 1836 viewsunstableblue

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:08 - Dec 5 by SWGF

Yeah. Seemed omnipresent. Always in the same seat.

He will watched the good, the bad and the ugly of this season in an excellent position to assess

Essential he is announced ASAP as the interim manager for the Charlton, Wigan and Sunderland games.

He needs a full day of training with the team on Monday, just to get some initial short term fixes and ideas into the team.

Supported by Kieron and Klugg as required

The team need a mgmt team in place for Monday morning… and that should not be Roberts and Jeffers

First test this

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:13 - Dec 5 with 1843 viewsPhilTWTD

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 12:56 - Dec 5 by hype313

That might be why I've not seen him as often, not passed him in the corridor on the way to the directors' box as used to be the case when scouts etc were in there. I don't think he's not been in and out of the training ground on a regular basis lately anyway.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:24 - Dec 5 with 1701 viewstractorboy1978

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:00 - Dec 5 by itfcjoe

Part of me does wonder if he will get a longer crack at it than just two games. Will be interesting to hear what is said tomorrow as "extensive search" suggests the process hasn't begun yet. If there isn't someone ready to come in within the next few days, would suggest they want to take their time and be methodical perhaps, and we have games coming thick and fast at a key stage of the season.

If the remit/expectation is promotion this season then you are asking a new man to come in and win 15/16 games minimum from 26 straight off the bat just to sneak into the play offs.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:28 - Dec 5 with 1654 viewsjayessess

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:00 - Dec 5 by itfcjoe

Given the way we've looked to recruit players, I can't imagine McGreal would be very high up their list? Surely he'd need to absolutely smash it to be in with a shout of the permanent gig?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:36 - Dec 5 with 1578 viewsParisBlue

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:24 - Dec 5 by tractorboy1978

Part of me does wonder if he will get a longer crack at it than just two games. Will be interesting to hear what is said tomorrow as "extensive search" suggests the process hasn't begun yet. If there isn't someone ready to come in within the next few days, would suggest they want to take their time and be methodical perhaps, and we have games coming thick and fast at a key stage of the season.

If the remit/expectation is promotion this season then you are asking a new man to come in and win 15/16 games minimum from 26 straight off the bat just to sneak into the play offs.

Well...let's say we give him the next 3 games. If they go well we'll still just about be in with a chance of the play-offs. Do we then change, or do we give it to the man who has picked up the form (with benenfit of hindsight would we have been better not appointing Cook and leaving Matt Gill with the last 10 games).

If they go badly then we're starting to look forward to next season.

I think the man to get us out of league 1 is a different man who gets us progressive in the Championship (unless we strike it lucky with a Chris Wilder type)

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

That is good to know on 13:39 - Dec 5 with 1555 viewsIpswichKnight

That is good to know on 13:12 - Dec 5 by unstableblue

He will watched the good, the bad and the ugly of this season in an excellent position to assess

Essential he is announced ASAP as the interim manager for the Charlton, Wigan and Sunderland games.

He needs a full day of training with the team on Monday, just to get some initial short term fixes and ideas into the team.

Supported by Kieron and Klugg as required

The team need a mgmt team in place for Monday morning… and that should not be Roberts and Jeffers

First test this

Zero chance he will be in charge for Sunderland. New owners in Town they will want to be there for the new manager, McGreal will have 2 possibly 3 games in charge but I’m almost positive that new manager will be in place by 18th.

If McGreal had never played for us would anyone even give him a chance of the job? His record is uninspiring at best.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:58 - Dec 5 with 1416 viewsitfcjoe

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:28 - Dec 5 by jayessess

Given the way we've looked to recruit players, I can't imagine McGreal would be very high up their list? Surely he'd need to absolutely smash it to be in with a shout of the permanent gig?

On paper no, but he’s in the building and been appointed to be so by the powers that be rather than Cook so they must rate him - and he is a manager.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 14:02 - Dec 5 with 1377 viewsStewart27

I’d like him to have a coaching role. Even caretaker for a few games. I’d be completely underwhelmed if he became our new permanent manager.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:28 - Dec 5 with 1166 viewsSomethingBlue

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:58 - Dec 5 by itfcjoe

On paper no, but he’s in the building and been appointed to be so by the powers that be rather than Cook so they must rate him - and he is a manager.

I can certainly see an argument that, if McGreal gets a tune out of this lot for a few games, the search for a manager takes on much less urgency. It really shouldn't take a lot to have us back in the play-off hunt and if McGreal was a safe pair of hands to do that for six months — even just as a placeholder til they can get their first choice in summer — there'd be some sense in it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:37 - Dec 5 with 1078 viewsMullet

Happy to have him as a stopgap. Happy to have him til the end of the season if that’s the better option and we get the right man in the summer.

I’m just happy to have stopped the rot frankly

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:38 - Dec 5 with 1065 viewsChurchman

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:28 - Dec 5 by SomethingBlue

I can certainly see an argument that, if McGreal gets a tune out of this lot for a few games, the search for a manager takes on much less urgency. It really shouldn't take a lot to have us back in the play-off hunt and if McGreal was a safe pair of hands to do that for six months — even just as a placeholder til they can get their first choice in summer — there'd be some sense in it.

I think we need to commit to the next manager ASAP with a transfer window coming up. If that’s McGreal fine. I know he spent a long time at Col U and hardly torn up trees, but I’d certainly prefer him to most of the deadbeats and substance free ‘names’ wafted onto this board to date.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:40 - Dec 5 with 1045 viewsjas0999

Hopefully won’t be out manager on a permanent basis. Hasn’t exactly achieved a lot. Assistant maybe.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:42 - Dec 5 with 1028 viewstractorboy1978

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:38 - Dec 5 by Churchman

I think we need to commit to the next manager ASAP with a transfer window coming up. If that’s McGreal fine. I know he spent a long time at Col U and hardly torn up trees, but I’d certainly prefer him to most of the deadbeats and substance free ‘names’ wafted onto this board to date.

Going forwards we are going to see managers having minimal input into transfers so I’m not really sure that’s relevant.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:45 - Dec 5 with 995 viewsitfcsuth

Wouldn’t want him as manager. Love JM, loved him as a player.

Not the man for the job though.
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:46 - Dec 5 with 987 viewsChurchman

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:42 - Dec 5 by tractorboy1978

Going forwards we are going to see managers having minimal input into transfers so I’m not really sure that’s relevant.

What evidence is there for that? I can’t imagine any sort of manager accepting that
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 15:52]
McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:49 - Dec 5 with 942 viewsjayessess

Is it 100% going to be McGreal? As interim boss is probably the only chance we'll get to look at whether Dyer might work...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:52 - Dec 5 with 920 viewsmonty_radio

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 13:24 - Dec 5 by tractorboy1978

Like you, I took "extensive search" to mean that the process had not yet got underway.

But thinking about it with a less generous hat on, it can sometimes also mean "we've been thinking and talking it over for a while now, and have let various people in on our thinking, but we don't want to give the world the impression of premeditated action on that front".

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 16:00 - Dec 5 with 852 viewstractorboy1978

McGreal - what are people's thoughts on his appointment? on 15:46 - Dec 5 by Churchman

What evidence is there for that? I can’t imagine any sort of manager accepting that
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 15:52]

It's the model he operated at Bristol City and has talked about numerous times in interviews since he's been here. A manager will be consulted to a point but ultimately transfers are the remit of the recruitment team. It's how Brentford, Barnsley and Brighton have worked for several years, amongst others. Hence the title 'head coach' rather than manager.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024