Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No one has mentioned Dyer 21:51 - Dec 5 with 1848 viewsKesgrave_Exile

Do you think that if it wasn't for his health issues Dyer would be amongst the names being considered for the job?
No one has mentioned Dyer on 21:53 - Dec 5 with 1622 viewsjayessess

yeah, I was wondering about that. In lots of ways he's a more obvious interim boss than McGreal.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

No one has mentioned Dyer on 21:56 - Dec 5 with 1593 viewsGuthrum

I did. Tho only as a potential caretaker. Doubt he's get it permanently.

Anyone think Ashton's 'extensive search'... by Guthrum 5 Dec 2021 21:02
Not sure about Yallop, but the rest is likely to be spot on. Tho we might be surprised by someone else as caretaker (Dyer? Klug?).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

No one has mentioned Dyer on 21:59 - Dec 5 with 1568 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think health issues and lack of experience both put him as very much an outside bet.

If we are looking at a non-white candidate (there is no Rooney rule still is there?), it would be interesting who that might be. Drogba, Hughton, who else aside from Dyer?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:01 - Dec 5 with 1557 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't understand why people right him off. Gets his teams together, playing good stuff and usually fairly successfully. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Where he's at with his health is another matter, but I'd be happy enough to see him given a chance. We gave Jim a chance a league higher and he had no coaching/managing experience at all.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:04 - Dec 5 with 1526 viewsitfcsuth

This is not a job for a manager with no experience managing first team football at any level.
No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:05 - Dec 5 with 1500 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:01 - Dec 5 by Swansea_Blue

I don't understand why people right him off. Gets his teams together, playing good stuff and usually fairly successfully. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Where he's at with his health is another matter, but I'd be happy enough to see him given a chance. We gave Jim a chance a league higher and he had no coaching/managing experience at all.

I don't think Magilton is good justification for us going inexperienced to be fair.

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:07 - Dec 5 with 1472 viewsSwansea_Blue

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:04 - Dec 5 by itfcsuth

This is not a job for a manager with no experience managing first team football at any level.

Yeah it is. A mid table league 1 side is ideal for someone to cut their teeth. There are stacks of decent coaches with age group experience who've come int at this level or higher and gone on to do well, and there'll be plenty more out there ready to make the step up. The challenge is spotting the good ones, which is where decent networks and good judgement come in (let's hope Ashton and co have that!).

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:14 - Dec 5 with 1443 viewsfactual_blue

He had an interesting experience in the dressing room with a leading pundit some years ago.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:16 - Dec 5 with 1408 viewsitfcsuth

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:07 - Dec 5 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah it is. A mid table league 1 side is ideal for someone to cut their teeth. There are stacks of decent coaches with age group experience who've come int at this level or higher and gone on to do well, and there'll be plenty more out there ready to make the step up. The challenge is spotting the good ones, which is where decent networks and good judgement come in (let's hope Ashton and co have that!).

How many managers can you name me have gone into a League 1 side and got them promoted with no prior first team managerial experience at any level, anywhere?

I genuinely don’t know, but you mention there are stacks, how many have come in and got promoted out of League 1? Neil Critchley is the only name I can think of.
No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:19 - Dec 5 with 1375 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:16 - Dec 5 by itfcsuth

How many managers can you name me have gone into a League 1 side and got them promoted with no prior first team managerial experience at any level, anywhere?

I genuinely don’t know, but you mention there are stacks, how many have come in and got promoted out of League 1? Neil Critchley is the only name I can think of.

Paul Warne.

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:21 - Dec 5 with 1361 viewsTractorBoyOlly

How do you expect anyone to get experience then? Start at Whitton United and work their way up? It doesn’t work like that.

Poll: Final points total?

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:21 - Dec 5 with 1357 viewsjayessess

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:07 - Dec 5 by Swansea_Blue

Yup, hiring an U23 coach didn't do Blackpool any harm. It is, as you say, a matter of judgement as to whether or not Kieron's "got it".

You'd be asking around football, asking the people who ran his coaching courses, the people who've worked with him, how they rate him as coach, tactician, football thinker.

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:22 - Dec 5 with 1347 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:21 - Dec 5 by TractorBoyOlly

How do you expect anyone to get experience then? Start at Whitton United and work their way up? It doesn’t work like that.

Or start at Man Utd and work their way down.

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:23 - Dec 5 with 1342 viewsthecheek

Give that all our recent failed appointments have been experienced managers it could be argued that Dyer would be no more of a gamble than most of the other names being mentioned...
No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:34 - Dec 5 with 1285 viewsIllinoisblue

Why not? Jewell, Hurst, Lambert and Cook all had bags of experience and were all fooking awful.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:39 - Dec 5 with 1259 viewsChurchman

I suggested KD before Cook. 7 years older than Robson was when he got the job, hugely experienced in the game, loves the club. If we are just looking for a Head Coach style of manager, why not? I’d prefer him to most of the failures suggested on here.

The question mark for me is his health. He’s in for a major operation at some point and a managers stress is something he doesn’t need in his recovery, I’m sure. His health is the priority.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 22:40]
No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:42 - Dec 5 with 1243 viewsitfcsuth

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:19 - Dec 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Paul Warne.

Paul Warne went into a Championship club, not a League 1 club.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 22:42]
No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:44 - Dec 5 with 1235 viewsitfcsuth

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:34 - Dec 5 by Illinoisblue

Why not? Jewell, Hurst, Lambert and Cook all had bags of experience and were all fooking awful.

Probably for that exact reason, a man with Paul Cook’s resume couldn’t get us going, given the huge turnover of players in the summer, and the big expectation because of that, I don’t think it’s a good gig for somebody with zero first team experience.
No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:58 - Dec 5 with 1195 viewsSwansea_Blue

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:16 - Dec 5 by itfcsuth

I wasn't specifically talking about promotion at the first attempt, just young managers who've gone on to do well. But I can think of several who've won promotion straight from the off or in their first full season. Martinez, Bowyer, Darren Ferguson, Critchley sas you say. Robinson and Robins must be close. Stendel at Barnsley. A whole bunch of them who've done well from the off. Nathan Jones took Luton from L2 to the Championship in successive seasons I think. Eddie Howe took Bournemouth all the way to the top from L2. Rodgers had immediate impact at Watford in his fist senior job, and then went on to do not too badly.

It's self evident really, as they all have to start somewhere. Any manager who's now successful would have had their first first team job somewhere. The challenge is for clubs to spot those with the potential.

Interestingly, Ashton has presided over (or been involved in) the appointment of two such fresh coaches who were instantly successful while at Watford - Aidy Boothroyd and Brendan Rodgers. I know Bristol fans don't like him, but he's got a much better record of picking a manager than Evans.

No one has mentioned Dyer on 23:00 - Dec 5 with 1190 viewsSwansea_Blue

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:05 - Dec 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't think Magilton is good justification for us going inexperienced to be fair.

Although relative to what followed, he didn't do too badly.

He was standing on the shoulder of a giant though. But then whoever comes in now has a good group of players to work with and just needs to instill that togetherness.

No one has mentioned Dyer on 23:14 - Dec 5 with 1133 viewsitfcsuth

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:58 - Dec 5 by Swansea_Blue

I wasn't specifically talking about promotion at the first attempt, just young managers who've gone on to do well. But I can think of several who've won promotion straight from the off or in their first full season. Martinez, Bowyer, Darren Ferguson, Critchley sas you say. Robinson and Robins must be close. Stendel at Barnsley. A whole bunch of them who've done well from the off. Nathan Jones took Luton from L2 to the Championship in successive seasons I think. Eddie Howe took Bournemouth all the way to the top from L2. Rodgers had immediate impact at Watford in his fist senior job, and then went on to do not too badly.

It's self evident really, as they all have to start somewhere. Any manager who's now successful would have had their first first team job somewhere. The challenge is for clubs to spot those with the potential.

Interestingly, Ashton has presided over (or been involved in) the appointment of two such fresh coaches who were instantly successful while at Watford - Aidy Boothroyd and Brendan Rodgers. I know Bristol fans don't like him, but he's got a much better record of picking a manager than Evans.

I agree, everybody needs to start, but I don’t think this club with this expectation will be a good start for a brand new manager.

There are some good examples you’ve given. Robinson, Jones, Howe & Ferguson were all L2 triumphs though, and I think that’s where Dyer must go for his first taster of first team management.
No one has mentioned Dyer on 23:56 - Dec 5 with 1043 viewsBlueBadger

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:05 - Dec 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

I mean, he only improved the league position season on season on a budget of 47p and a Fab lolly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

No one has mentioned Dyer on 02:34 - Dec 6 with 953 viewsIllinoisblue

No one has mentioned Dyer on 22:44 - Dec 5 by itfcsuth

Probably for that exact reason, a man with Paul Cook’s resume couldn’t get us going, given the huge turnover of players in the summer, and the big expectation because of that, I don’t think it’s a good gig for somebody with zero first team experience.

That logic doesn’t compute. Managers with experience have failed therefore we must employ another manager with experience.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

No one has mentioned Dyer on 03:39 - Dec 6 with 922 viewsBluearmy71

I mentioned the other day that I feel that JM will be named caretaker with KD his assistant!

I then think KD may well be named manager in full for next season if all goes well.
No one has mentioned Dyer on 09:13 - Dec 6 with 737 viewsjayessess

No one has mentioned Dyer on 23:14 - Dec 5 by itfcsuth

I agree, everybody needs to start, but I don’t think this club with this expectation will be a good start for a brand new manager.

There are some good examples you’ve given. Robinson, Jones, Howe & Ferguson were all L2 triumphs though, and I think that’s where Dyer must go for his first taster of first team management.

The majority of managers in the Championship got their first managerial appointment in L1 or above. Aside from the bosses who got their first job overseas, the only exceptions are Nathan Jones, Chris Wilder, Gary Rowett and Darren Ferguson.

From Kieron's perspective, if there were even the slightest possibility of getting the Ipswich job in future, I'd be exceptionally wary of taking a League 2 job. Once you're pegged as a lower league manager it's incredibly hard to ever be seen as a higher level boss, it usually sucks you down rather than giving you a platform to shine.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 9:18]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024