Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unpopular opinion 22:52 - Dec 5 with 3678 viewsITFC_96

Cook was a worse manager for us than Lambert.
Unpopular opinion on 22:53 - Dec 5 with 2278 viewsFightingEssex

Unpopular but statistically correct. Also Lambert relied on a hybrid of Mick and Hursts players and didn’t hire a whole team to do worse.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Unpopular opinion on 22:55 - Dec 5 with 2241 viewsITFC_96

Unpopular opinion on 22:53 - Dec 5 by FightingEssex

Unpopular but statistically correct. Also Lambert relied on a hybrid of Mick and Hursts players and didn’t hire a whole team to do worse.

If we go by the League 1 statistics he's pretty far ahead.
Unpopular opinion on 23:01 - Dec 5 with 2209 viewsBlueBadger

Although, to be fair, Cook relied upon Lambert's tried-and-tested 'stroke it about a bit and hope one of the forwards can conjure something and never try anything else, ever' tactics a fair bit.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Unpopular opinion (n/t) on 23:07 - Dec 5 with 2169 viewsgalacticoblue

Unpopular opinion on 23:01 - Dec 5 by BlueBadger

Although, to be fair, Cook relied upon Lambert's tried-and-tested 'stroke it about a bit and hope one of the forwards can conjure something and never try anything else, ever' tactics a fair bit.

[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 23:16]
Unpopular opinion on 23:08 - Dec 5 with 2154 viewsNeedhamChris

In League 1 - yes, without any doubt.

Although going down with a whimper from the Championship makes it hard to give Lambert too much of a free pass here.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Unpopular opinion on 23:10 - Dec 5 with 2147 viewspointofblue

Unpopular opinion on 23:08 - Dec 5 by NeedhamChris

In League 1 - yes, without any doubt.

Although going down with a whimper from the Championship makes it hard to give Lambert too much of a free pass here.

That's fine - taking over a side two points off the play offs and going backwards means Cook doesn't get too much of a free pass either.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Unpopular opinion on 23:10 - Dec 5 with 2141 viewsChurchman

In his first season Lambert won 4, drew 8, lost 19. In that heady relegation whimper time he brought in 4 loans and 4 permanents in the January window. In the summer he brought in a further 9 loans and permanents. Shipped out a load too. After a good start, the rest of the L1 dross warmed up and down we sagged to 11th - with his team.

You can use stats any way you want. Lambert was truly dreadful. Cook has been too. It’s like comparing what dogs leave on the verge and deciding which smells best.
Unpopular opinion on 23:13 - Dec 5 with 2108 viewsNeedhamChris

Unpopular opinion on 23:10 - Dec 5 by pointofblue

That's fine - taking over a side two points off the play offs and going backwards means Cook doesn't get too much of a free pass either.

I'm not disagreeing with you - I've been a 'Cook outer' for months so not defending him. There's not a lot a lot of positives to cling on to for either.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Login to get fewer ads

Unpopular opinion on 23:15 - Dec 5 with 2093 viewspointofblue

Unpopular opinion on 23:13 - Dec 5 by NeedhamChris

I'm not disagreeing with you - I've been a 'Cook outer' for months so not defending him. There's not a lot a lot of positives to cling on to for either.

I think Churchman's analogy is pretty accurate!

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Unpopular opinion on 23:15 - Dec 5 with 2093 viewsgalacticoblue

Oooh I did this exact post a month or so ago - I got downvoted big time.
Don’t like lambert personally but he would have done better with this group of players.
Unpopular opinion on 23:16 - Dec 5 with 2080 viewsHerbivore

Other than Mick, every ME appointment has basically just been a differing shade of sh!t.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Unpopular opinion on 23:20 - Dec 5 with 2046 viewsEireannach_gorm

Statistically but not emotionally correct. Lambert had thrown in the towel well before he was sacked.
Unpopular opinion on 23:38 - Dec 5 with 1999 viewsjeera

Unpopular opinion on 23:10 - Dec 5 by pointofblue

Lambert was hated by a number of fans in the end and I'm glad for one thing it didn't get the chance to get to that kind of stage with Cook.

I think some of us have forgotten how much he was disliked.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 23:42]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Unpopular opinion on 23:54 - Dec 5 with 1968 viewsBlueBadger

Unpopular opinion on 23:16 - Dec 5 by Herbivore

Other than Mick, every ME appointment has basically just been a differing shade of sh!t.

Mick was clearly way below those, obvs.

The monstrous man never thought to start a long term build that involved relegation and/or being mid table in the third division FFS, what's technical, progressive or Improved about that?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Unpopular opinion on 00:37 - Dec 6 with 1896 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Unpopular opinion on 23:54 - Dec 5 by BlueBadger

The monstrous man never thought to start a long term build that involved relegation and/or being mid table in the third division FFS, what's technical, progressive or Improved about that?

He's gone. Let it go.

You Do Have Real Concerns.
Unpopular opinion on 00:41 - Dec 6 with 1837 viewsGarv

Unpopular opinion

Neither were as bad as they were made out to be, for different reasons.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Unpopular opinion on 07:35 - Dec 6 with 1638 viewsHerbivore

Unpopular opinion on 00:41 - Dec 6 by Garv

Unpopular opinion

Neither were as bad as they were made out to be, for different reasons.

Depends on what you mean by not as bad as they were made out to be. Were they Peter Sutcliffe levels of evil human being? No, they were just football managers. Did either demonstrate that they were even averagely competent at their jobs during their time at Town? No, they did not. They were both largely hopeless.

Unpopular opinion on 07:49 - Dec 6 with 1585 viewschicoazul

Unpopular opinion on 23:16 - Dec 5 by Herbivore

This is what I’m worried about. There is room for things to get worse.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Unpopular opinion on 07:58 - Dec 6 with 1548 viewsDanTheMan

Unpopular opinion on 07:49 - Dec 6 by chicoazul

This is what I’m worried about. There is room for things to get worse.

I hear Megson is still available...

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Unpopular opinion on 08:05 - Dec 6 with 1521 viewsDarth_Koont

Unpopular opinion on 23:54 - Dec 5 by BlueBadger

So that was Keanish’s rant in your signature?

I don’t agree with him all the way in terms of effect but I agree with the sentiment. I was enjoying the new era of Cook and what was developing/still needed to develop. But a lot of the chat around it almost from the start has been fairly awful. It’s all been a bit Bedsheet if I’m being honest.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unpopular opinion on 08:09 - Dec 6 with 1487 viewsSwansea_Blue

Unpopular opinion on 08:05 - Dec 6 by Darth_Koont

I don’t agree with him all the way in terms of effect but I agree with the sentiment. I was enjoying the new era of Cook and what was developing/still needed to develop. But a lot of the chat around it almost from the start has been fairly awful. It’s all been a bit Bedsheet if I’m being honest.

That sentiment being that Mullers, Gtsb, Badge, Blootsie, N2 & Joe are all knobs?

Bang to rights I'd argue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Unpopular opinion on 08:15 - Dec 6 with 1472 viewsHerbivore

Unpopular opinion on 08:05 - Dec 6 by Darth_Koont

Delusional on every level.

Unpopular opinion on 08:15 - Dec 6 with 1466 viewsDarth_Koont

Unpopular opinion on 08:09 - Dec 6 by Swansea_Blue

That sentiment being that Mullers, Gtsb, Badge, Blootsie, N2 & Joe are all knobs?

Bang to rights I'd argue

Yeah, that’s harsh.

They’ve been a bit knobbish. But who hasn’t over certain issues?

And FWIW I didn’t think the bedsheet era was a good look during Magilton’s time either. Although I accepted his time was probably up by then.

Unpopular opinion on 08:17 - Dec 6 with 1438 viewsDarth_Koont

Unpopular opinion on 08:15 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Delusional on every level.

Gmpf.

Thanks Rich.

Unpopular opinion on 08:17 - Dec 6 with 1433 viewsSomethingBlue

It's a tough call — they both came in with good intentions and then totally messed up big opportunities. Cook possibly shades it for the failures that repeated themselves almost identically across two sets of players.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024