Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. 10:49 - Dec 6 with 3871 viewsitfcjoe

It really feels to me that this is McGreal's job to lose

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 10:55 - Dec 6 with 2077 viewsWeirdFishes

It’s the bringing in an assistant which makes me think we’ll give it to him. Just had £15 on him @ 6/1.

Can’t say I’d be thrilled by it but if he does enough over the next few games, which are tough, to get the job he must have something about him.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 10:56 - Dec 6 with 2071 viewsPJH

It now looks certain that he was brought in by Ashton to become caretaker manager but when he actually became caretaker depended on what happened against Barrow.

If a big win on Saturday might not have saved Cook then there was not a lot of point in him being in charge last Saturday.
McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 10:57 - Dec 6 with 2029 viewsitfcsuth

John McGreal, Rene Gilmartin & Kieron Dyer doesn't fill you with too much confidence.

Let's see how it plays out.
McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 10:58 - Dec 6 with 2007 viewsBiGDonnie

I'd be delighted with him to get the job full time. Roll on Tuesday! Love the fact we've bought in an assistant straight away too.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:00 - Dec 6 with 1931 viewsbelgablue

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 10:57 - Dec 6 by itfcsuth

John McGreal, Rene Gilmartin & Kieron Dyer doesn't fill you with too much confidence.

Let's see how it plays out.

True but they fill me with more confidence than the staff we had in place on Saturday morning!

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:01 - Dec 6 with 1909 viewsjayessess

It's a really tough run to build a CV on, which I think is for the best. Take a lot of points from Wigan and Charlton away, Sunderland and Wycombe at home, I don't think anyone's going to say he doesn't deserve it.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 11:03]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:01 - Dec 6 with 1908 viewsSmithy

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 10:58 - Dec 6 by BiGDonnie

I'd be delighted with him to get the job full time. Roll on Tuesday! Love the fact we've bought in an assistant straight away too.

probably just the easy go to option, I'd imagine both were still local after being at Col U, yes if he hits the ground running and gets results of course he'll be in the running, but how may games does he get, the first 3 games are very tough so results in those and he'll be well placed.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:01 - Dec 6 with 1897 viewsStewart27

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 10:58 - Dec 6 by BiGDonnie

What is it that’s appealing?
Login to get fewer ads

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:02 - Dec 6 with 1888 viewsGavTWTD

I'll be amazed if McGreal is here for the long term, given that we have deep pockets and investment in the manager is the most important deal they'll ever have to make. Not a surprise he's caretaker though at all. Made complete sense.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:07 - Dec 6 with 1770 viewshomer_123

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:02 - Dec 6 by GavTWTD

I'll be amazed if McGreal is here for the long term, given that we have deep pockets and investment in the manager is the most important deal they'll ever have to make. Not a surprise he's caretaker though at all. Made complete sense.

I think he would be a very poor appointment as our permanent manager.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 11:11]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:07 - Dec 6 with 1770 viewsGlasgowBlue

No way does McGreal fit in with the dynamic, pack out Portman Road style of football club that the owners appear to want.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:07 - Dec 6 with 1764 viewsSkip_Intro

Agree completely with this...we've assembled a very strong squad full of players who were/should be in the Championship.
To appoint a manager who ultimately failed in L2 and has no other track record just wouldn't make sense.
I think it's an interim move that suits the club for 2 or 3 games as well as giving JM a shop window to get himself a permanent job once the new manager comes in.
McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:08 - Dec 6 with 1733 viewsBlueBlood90

I'm not so sure. The statement specifically mentions 'Tuesday night’s trip to Charlton' and
'Rene Gilmartin, who was John’s assistant during his short spell at Swindon Town, will join him in the away dugout at The Valley.'

That clearly seems to indicate that it's for tomorrow's game only. If it was going to be McGreal they surely would've just appointed him now.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:08 - Dec 6 with 1697 viewsJ2BLUE

Agree. Bit strange to bring his assistant in for one game...

Interesting times.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:10 - Dec 6 with 1640 viewsBiGDonnie

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:01 - Dec 6 by Stewart27

What is it that’s appealing?

The fact that he knows and loves the club. Having a real connection to a club goes a long way IMO. Knows the area and was a brilliant player for us.

Same with Dyer, even more so due to the levels he reached in his playing days.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:13 - Dec 6 with 1585 viewsWeirdFishes

I’d add to this that Ashton has history for making a caretaker manager the permanent manager - Dean Holden at Bristol City was caretaker before getting the job full-time.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:16 - Dec 6 with 1541 viewsITFCBlues

Imagine sacking a manager of Cooks ability/standing and replacing with McGreal.

What a club!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

FANTASTIC NEWS.. really looking forward to the Valley tomorrow on 11:18 - Dec 6 with 1495 viewsunstableblue

... bringing in his own assistant to boot... but also Keiron in the mix to give some attacking ideas... anyone know anything about Carl Pentney?

37.6% win ratio at Col U doesn't inspire, but it was a weak squad. But this from Wikipedia seems like same system:

"Management style McGreal has a reputation for playing "attacking, free-flowing" football with a "fluid 4—2—3—1 system". He is able to work alongside a director of football or head of recruitment and work with and develop a young squad."

The above Wikipedia is like a please hire me Ipswich ad!

I think this is positive, because its a proper interim appointment and coaching team to try and drive some results ahead of Christmas... don't think he's got the pedigree or modern thinking we need for the full time role though... and that is still concerning me as to who is the right candidate
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 11:20]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:20 - Dec 6 with 1445 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:16 - Dec 6 by ITFCBlues

What a club!

The banter era continues.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Its a solid interim appointment, no? on 11:21 - Dec 6 with 1426 viewsunstableblue

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:16 - Dec 6 by ITFCBlues

What a club!

McGreal can't be a serious contender for the long term appointment.

Has to be a Manning or an Appleton.. more progressive, more proven

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:23 - Dec 6 with 1388 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Has Drogba got his badges yet?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Its a solid interim appointment, no? on 11:24 - Dec 6 with 1372 viewsITFCBlues

Its a solid interim appointment, no? on 11:21 - Dec 6 by unstableblue

McGreal can't be a serious contender for the long term appointment.

Has to be a Manning or an Appleton.. more progressive, more proven

Appleton, jesus. Again, imagine replacing Cook with Appleton.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:24 - Dec 6 with 1370 viewsmrshallisfit

McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:10 - Dec 6 by BiGDonnie

The fact that he knows and loves the club. Having a real connection to a club goes a long way IMO. Knows the area and was a brilliant player for us.

Same with Dyer, even more so due to the levels he reached in his playing days.

I once saw him in the Shepherd and Dog on Felixstowe Road and he didnt half tear into his roast. That'll do for me.
McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:25 - Dec 6 with 1330 viewsitfcsuth

What a club!

Lunacy to me.

If you relieve someone like Paul Cook of his duties 4 months in to a long term project, you do it because you have a good reason, a better alternative lined up and ready to come in immediately.

You don't do it to bring in John McGreal, Rene Gilmartin & Kieron Dyer as we go into our most important month of our season.

Can't get my head around it but let's see how it plays out. Successful we hope of course.
McGreal as interim, and brining his own assistant. on 11:28 - Dec 6 with 1297 viewsjayessess

What a club!

Leaving his "standing" aside, Cook's "ability" had us mid-table in L1. That's not going to be very hard to improve upon.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024