Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now 16:38 - Dec 6 with 6445 viewsnodge_blue

I know the results have been disappointing. But some, stressing some, of the performances have been a big improvement over recent years. I think the recruitment wasn’t quite right over the summer and that’s bound to be the case when recruiting so many. But with a couple of tweaks in the next window I was hopeful we would pick up. I’d have taken top 10 this year and push next.

Cook came across as a decent guy and clearly the players liked him and indeed many came because of him. Think American owners who are distant and let’s face it not exactly football experts have made a decision based on points return only. I seriously doubt they have a target / plan in mind.

It’s a pointless debate now as he’s gone. But I will be hugely surprised if we now kick on to get promoted this year. I think we will probably be very underwhelmed with who gets appointed as well. Followed by another mini clear out.

Just my view. And who cares really. I would agree that cook and the players have disappointed to date.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:42 - Dec 6 with 3502 viewschrismakin

What I find interesting about it all. Even Morsy brings up the supporters supporters. The impatience. The boos.

Surely with PC Talking about big club. Big fan base etc. They all would have known clubs this size that have bigger fan bases have a larger quantity of 'drama queens' than smaller clubs with smaller crowds and because of that you need to be putting on a show.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:44 - Dec 6 with 3496 viewsnodge_blue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:42 - Dec 6 by chrismakin

What I find interesting about it all. Even Morsy brings up the supporters supporters. The impatience. The boos.

Surely with PC Talking about big club. Big fan base etc. They all would have known clubs this size that have bigger fan bases have a larger quantity of 'drama queens' than smaller clubs with smaller crowds and because of that you need to be putting on a show.

It feels pretty flat to me. I thing McGreal will have a huge job to lift them before the game. It’s not like when players are just preying for a manager to go.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:47 - Dec 6 with 3443 viewschrismakin

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:44 - Dec 6 by nodge_blue

It feels pretty flat to me. I thing McGreal will have a huge job to lift them before the game. It’s not like when players are just preying for a manager to go.

Must admit the Morsy interview really doesn't feel like we re going to be getting a performance anytime soon. There's been some posters talking about Morsy not wanting to be here anyway and that's before the sacking.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:47 - Dec 6 with 3440 viewsHerbivore

Performances post Wycombe have been largely poor, with the odd half being the exception. That game should have been a springboard and if we were going to kick on under Cook it feels like that's when we'd have done it. Instead our performances and results since then have tailed off. Ultimately taking us to midtable and out of the automatic promotion race after 20 games of the season after the backing he was given in the summer was miles away from being acceptable, added to that no real evidence that he was capable of improving us on a sustained basis and it's not hard to see why he was sacked.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:50 - Dec 6 with 3396 viewschrismakin

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:47 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Performances post Wycombe have been largely poor, with the odd half being the exception. That game should have been a springboard and if we were going to kick on under Cook it feels like that's when we'd have done it. Instead our performances and results since then have tailed off. Ultimately taking us to midtable and out of the automatic promotion race after 20 games of the season after the backing he was given in the summer was miles away from being acceptable, added to that no real evidence that he was capable of improving us on a sustained basis and it's not hard to see why he was sacked.

Something I couldn't understand is how we would put in a cracking effort. Then follow up with a complete opposite. How does that even happen. Its not like one was a 10/10 and the other a 8. It was almost a straight down to 1/10 the next game.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:51 - Dec 6 with 3380 viewsnodge_blue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:47 - Dec 6 by chrismakin

Must admit the Morsy interview really doesn't feel like we re going to be getting a performance anytime soon. There's been some posters talking about Morsy not wanting to be here anyway and that's before the sacking.

I’m sure morsey at 30 years old doesn’t want to be playing his days out at league one level. He came here for a manager he liked and instant promotion.

Though I have to say I think he’s been a little disappointing. He is not better than Flynn downes at his best say. But I’m not a huge fan of two holding midfielders though.

Is he going to be doing a Matt Holland and pulling this side along or just turn off and look for a move out?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:52 - Dec 6 with 3366 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Cooks biggest winning run was 2 matches.

He managed that once in 44 games.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:57 - Dec 6 with 3313 viewsnodge_blue

I get that. I’m as fed up as anyone else at false dawns that fade away. But given his track record and how committed he was to it all, I can’t help feel that he needed another window and this season at least.

Look at the candidates on the list to take over. Pretty uninspiring. And the better ones in jobs just won’t be released or even want it.

It’s happened. I won’t be told you so if we don’t improve instantly. It’s worrying that we don’t really have an ideal candidate in mind. I also feel really flat. Not like some previous sackings where I’ve welcomed getting a fresh face.

Login to get fewer ads

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:59 - Dec 6 with 3297 viewsWacko

He's a beer-swigging lad-banter dinosaur. Granted, not as prehistoric as some previous appointments, but football is moving at an electric pace and its new developments seem to have passed him by.

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:01 - Dec 6 with 3276 viewsStewart27

Fair opinion and respect for your patience.

I just think we need to ask for a little more than the occasional decent performance over the same awful mid table points haul in this league.

Remember when comparing performances this season you are comparing them to the shower that we’ve been served up over the past few years. And of these the back end of last season under cook was peak low.
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:03 - Dec 6 with 3255 viewsBlueBadger

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:57 - Dec 6 by nodge_blue

I get that. I’m as fed up as anyone else at false dawns that fade away. But given his track record and how committed he was to it all, I can’t help feel that he needed another window and this season at least.

Look at the candidates on the list to take over. Pretty uninspiring. And the better ones in jobs just won’t be released or even want it.

It’s happened. I won’t be told you so if we don’t improve instantly. It’s worrying that we don’t really have an ideal candidate in mind. I also feel really flat. Not like some previous sackings where I’ve welcomed getting a fresh face.

I strongly suspect that any of the early runners listed are the result of fools making speculative bets, rather than genuine candidates.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 17:03]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:06 - Dec 6 with 3219 viewsHerbivore

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:57 - Dec 6 by nodge_blue

But his track record means an awful lot less than his actual performance here. We've had managers before with decent track records who have been hopeless. To be honest that's why I'm not too worried about the successor not being a 'name'. Cook's CV made him the standout candidate last time and he ended up failing, we've appointed managers with good CVs before and they've failed. I'd probably rather we go with someone less well established but with ambition and potential rather than another old school manager.

I feel more optimistic now than I've been feeling the last couple of weeks. Recent performances have been dire and I couldn't really see any sign of Cook and his team being able to change that. Better to pull the trigger rather than dragging it out with that being the case. For me it gives us more hope in the short term and hopefully the new manager will also be a better long term fit for where the club is heading too.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:15 - Dec 6 with 3165 viewsWeekender

The Wycombe game and Pompey games looked great on paper and included some good football but they weren't as clear cut as the scores suggest. Pompey was an even scrappy game until the GK error. Then there was a second GK error for the 3rd Goal. At Wycombe we were under the cosh and loosing before the GK error for the equaliser. And at 3-1 we were hanging on for a spell before another GK error.

Deserved those wins but wasn't once sided in either game.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:16 - Dec 6 with 3147 viewspennblue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:06 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

But his track record means an awful lot less than his actual performance here. We've had managers before with decent track records who have been hopeless. To be honest that's why I'm not too worried about the successor not being a 'name'. Cook's CV made him the standout candidate last time and he ended up failing, we've appointed managers with good CVs before and they've failed. I'd probably rather we go with someone less well established but with ambition and potential rather than another old school manager.

I feel more optimistic now than I've been feeling the last couple of weeks. Recent performances have been dire and I couldn't really see any sign of Cook and his team being able to change that. Better to pull the trigger rather than dragging it out with that being the case. For me it gives us more hope in the short term and hopefully the new manager will also be a better long term fit for where the club is heading too.

I would agree in the short term, it is hard to see the players turning up tomorrow night under Cook. But I think to suggest there is no evidence of him being able to get it right is just not right. He has a track record of success, and it is usually in the 2nd half of seasons until he gets the team firing on all cylinders.

I can understand why its happened though, the American peeps are coming on in literally 12 days time, and the short term direction did not look good.

But the reality is, we are not good enough yet, the players are not good enough, not up for it enough, maybe we need a couple more of the right characters, not sure, but the only thing that can sort that out is a January transfer window.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:19 - Dec 6 with 3097 viewsnodge_blue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:06 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

It’s hard to disagree with recent performances. And also lambert situation dragged on way too long.

At least it shows intent from the owners but they will have to back that up by dipping their hands again into the pension fund. Only they will know how often they can go to that well.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:21 - Dec 6 with 3051 viewsHerbivore

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:16 - Dec 6 by pennblue

I would agree in the short term, it is hard to see the players turning up tomorrow night under Cook. But I think to suggest there is no evidence of him being able to get it right is just not right. He has a track record of success, and it is usually in the 2nd half of seasons until he gets the team firing on all cylinders.

I can understand why its happened though, the American peeps are coming on in literally 12 days time, and the short term direction did not look good.

But the reality is, we are not good enough yet, the players are not good enough, not up for it enough, maybe we need a couple more of the right characters, not sure, but the only thing that can sort that out is a January transfer window.

When what he's done at other clubs is all the evidence we have to suggest he could have got it right here 9 months into his tenure that tells you all you need to know. We're not talking about a slightly disappointing spell, we're talking 9 months of chronic underperformance. That your solution is more players just shows how little we'd come to expect from Cook's management, there's more than enough ability in this current squad to be doing far better than we are.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:23 - Dec 6 with 3035 viewssflurrie

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:42 - Dec 6 by chrismakin

Bonkers isn't it! Could you imagine supporters booing at the Olympics for example!? maybe booing Max Whitlock when he gets his routine wrong. Or Katarina Johnson-Thompson for a bad day in the heptathlon? Just seems crazy to be booing our own team?
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:24 - Dec 6 with 3031 viewsclive_baker

I think the prospect of McGreal coming in makes the sacking a bit disappointing. I'm underwhelmed by McGreal and really do hope it's an interim basis only. Had he not played for us, I don't think he would be someone we would be considering as a permanent manager, which tells you something. His record, his style etc. Fine in the short term, but I'm not sure it aligns with the 'God have mercy on League 1' approach we were promised.

Hopefully we pull something out of the bag and attract a real upgrade on Cook.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:24 - Dec 6 with 3027 viewsLeoMuff

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 16:59 - Dec 6 by Wacko

He's a beer-swigging lad-banter dinosaur. Granted, not as prehistoric as some previous appointments, but football is moving at an electric pace and its new developments seem to have passed him by.

What a load of sh1t, had success everywhere apart from here, turned into a Dino in 6 months ? Give over.

Funny how every player and manager currently and previously has only good to say.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:29 - Dec 6 with 2971 viewsHerbivore

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:24 - Dec 6 by clive_baker

I think the prospect of McGreal coming in makes the sacking a bit disappointing. I'm underwhelmed by McGreal and really do hope it's an interim basis only. Had he not played for us, I don't think he would be someone we would be considering as a permanent manager, which tells you something. His record, his style etc. Fine in the short term, but I'm not sure it aligns with the 'God have mercy on League 1' approach we were promised.

Hopefully we pull something out of the bag and attract a real upgrade on Cook.

Based on what Ashton has said today I'm not getting the vibe that McGreal has much of a chance of getting the job on a permanent basis. As caretakers go he's pretty good, given he has actual managerial experience.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:30 - Dec 6 with 2963 viewsfooters

We shall see. But for all the money invested, players brought in and changes at the Club, our position at the moment is down to Cook. I'm personally quite happy we're apparently no longer willing to accept these types of results and performance.

It's strange as most of us are patient sorts, and I do think that's a virtue in many respects, but the game's moved on and one thing we have never really been is ruthless. If we want to compete seriously (and remember this is still League One we're talking about), then we have to have more about us and act quickly when something's obviously not working.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:33 - Dec 6 with 2925 viewspennblue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:21 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

When what he's done at other clubs is all the evidence we have to suggest he could have got it right here 9 months into his tenure that tells you all you need to know. We're not talking about a slightly disappointing spell, we're talking 9 months of chronic underperformance. That your solution is more players just shows how little we'd come to expect from Cook's management, there's more than enough ability in this current squad to be doing far better than we are.

I think there was enough encouraging signs in the good performances we had, to give us a flavour of what to expect when he had things right.

To suggest we have enough ability in our current squad, is just not correct. Compare our 1st team right now, to a team like Rotherham, we are clearly not at that level. But that Rotherham team has taken time to put together.

Should they be doing better, yes, but 'far better', I don't think we are that good yet, and performances back that up. If it makes you feel better to lay that blame entirely at the managers feet, then so be it.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:36 - Dec 6 with 2902 viewsPJH

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:15 - Dec 6 by Weekender

The Wycombe game and Pompey games looked great on paper and included some good football but they weren't as clear cut as the scores suggest. Pompey was an even scrappy game until the GK error. Then there was a second GK error for the 3rd Goal. At Wycombe we were under the cosh and loosing before the GK error for the equaliser. And at 3-1 we were hanging on for a spell before another GK error.

Deserved those wins but wasn't once sided in either game.

I think that save that Walton made which prevented Wycombe getting back to being 3-2 behind won us the game because if that had gone in I think an equalizer would have soon followed.

It was a great result and a very good performance for chunks of the game but was far from being as wonderful as some suggest.

Portsmouth were very poor and we again played well for a part of the game but the 4-0 scoreline was more about how bad they were rather than how good we were.
Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:40 - Dec 6 with 2856 viewsHerbivore

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:33 - Dec 6 by pennblue

I think there was enough encouraging signs in the good performances we had, to give us a flavour of what to expect when he had things right.

To suggest we have enough ability in our current squad, is just not correct. Compare our 1st team right now, to a team like Rotherham, we are clearly not at that level. But that Rotherham team has taken time to put together.

Should they be doing better, yes, but 'far better', I don't think we are that good yet, and performances back that up. If it makes you feel better to lay that blame entirely at the managers feet, then so be it.

Well I'd say blaming the manager is better than blaming the fans, who really don't have any input into our performances.

Have to disagree with pretty much all of your post to be honest. The performances have regressed of late and the genuinely good performances have been the exception. I don't see how that can act as evidence that it is likely to come good when those performances are so few and far between.

And our squad is ridiculous for this level of football, I really can't comprehend how you can think otherwise other than as a means to defend Cook. That he has never made them even equal to the sum of their parts let alone better than that is why he's been sacked. Rotherham are as good as they are (at this level) because they are well drilled and organised, not because they have the kind of quality that we have. That we're now pretending they have far better playing resources at their disposal is nuts. Cook just couldn't get a tune out of his squad, sadly.

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:41 - Dec 6 with 2851 viewsnodge_blue

Think we’ve made a big mistake sacking Cook now on 17:30 - Dec 6 by footers

We shall see. But for all the money invested, players brought in and changes at the Club, our position at the moment is down to Cook. I'm personally quite happy we're apparently no longer willing to accept these types of results and performance.

It's strange as most of us are patient sorts, and I do think that's a virtue in many respects, but the game's moved on and one thing we have never really been is ruthless. If we want to compete seriously (and remember this is still League One we're talking about), then we have to have more about us and act quickly when something's obviously not working.

There was a time we laughed at Leeds constantly changing managers and going nowhere.

I’ve argued it in my head that maybe just rattling through managers is actually a strategy and you will hit on a good one quicker. But only if that good one hits the ground running.

I have been hugely disappointed that we haven’t bossed games much more than we have. To see us struggling to put away league two sides isn’t a great feeling. If only his number two had come with him. Think cooks recruitment of largely unknown and unproven coaches can’t have helped.

I still think he is a good manager though who just off to a bad start and couldn’t turn it round quickly enough.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024