Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking 16:39 - Dec 7 with 2170 viewsStokieBlue

Unfortunately scientists have discovered a second variant of Omicron (BA.2) which no longer has the S-gene dropout on the PCR tests.

This was being used to track the spread of Omicron because Delta doesn't cause this dropout so if it appears on the PCR then they know it's Omicron.

The PCR still detects the BA2 variant as covid but not specifically as Omicron without a genetic analysis which isn't going to be possible for all the PCR tests.

This version of Omicron is genetically distinct enough that could behave differently and it might actually get it's own title.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/07/scientists-find-stealth-version-of

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 16:41 - Dec 7 with 2126 viewsElderGrizzly

Read your Covid mind. Your post is much more sensible though...
New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 18:15 - Dec 7 with 1871 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"Stealth covid"....who writes this stuff? They should do horror!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 18:19 - Dec 7 with 1849 viewsnodge_blue

I don't want to hear any more bad news about Covid. Ever.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 19:34 - Dec 7 with 1690 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The markets have spoken Stokie, it's all fine!
https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2021/dec/07/china-imports-trade-market

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 12:14 - Jan 24 with 1372 viewsStokieBlue

So an update to this for anyone who is interested.

The BA.2 variant of Omicron has mutations which seem to be allowing it to outcompete the BA.1 variant of Omicron and it's looking like it's now the dominant variant in Scandinavia and is increasing in prevalence in the UK. It's likely it will slowly take over from the original Omicron strain.

Some good news is that whilst it seems to be more contagious than the baseline Omicron it doesn't seem to be causing any worse illness. It's also probable that it will be less "stealth" now as Delta is such a small number of cases any PCR tests without the S-Gene dropout are more likely to be BA.2 than Delta.

SB

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 12:36 - Jan 24 with 1266 viewsnoggin

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 12:14 - Jan 24 by StokieBlue

So an update to this for anyone who is interested.

The BA.2 variant of Omicron has mutations which seem to be allowing it to outcompete the BA.1 variant of Omicron and it's looking like it's now the dominant variant in Scandinavia and is increasing in prevalence in the UK. It's likely it will slowly take over from the original Omicron strain.

Some good news is that whilst it seems to be more contagious than the baseline Omicron it doesn't seem to be causing any worse illness. It's also probable that it will be less "stealth" now as Delta is such a small number of cases any PCR tests without the S-Gene dropout are more likely to be BA.2 than Delta.

SB

I'm currently seeing far more seriously ill Covid patients than at any time during the pandemic. I know this is because infection rates are much higher but anyone who thinks Omicron is harmless, is mistaken.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 12:44 - Jan 24 with 1210 viewsRyorry

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 12:36 - Jan 24 by noggin

I'm currently seeing far more seriously ill Covid patients than at any time during the pandemic. I know this is because infection rates are much higher but anyone who thinks Omicron is harmless, is mistaken.

Any data specifically on people who already had chronic bronchitis as an 'underlying'? As all the early reports were that Omicron primarily attacks the bronchial tubes, rather than deeper in the lungs as was the case for Delta.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 13:07 - Jan 24 with 1115 viewsLord_Lucan

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 12:36 - Jan 24 by noggin

Mother got Covid a week ago after going on a bussed Saga Lout trip to Isle of Wight.

She tested positive the day after her return - during which time she had come into the main house to have a coffee and chit chat with the the rest of us. (She lives in a self contained annex)

Thankfully no one in the main part of the house got it. Mother - who is getting on a bit, smokes and suffers from bronchitis, had two or three days of being a bit out of breath and a bit of a cough. On around day 3 they delivered her some additional anti body pills.

She then tested negative on day 5 and 6.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 13:20 - Jan 24 with 1058 viewsSwansea_Blue

It'll only get a title if it donates at least £3 million to the Tories.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New Omicron variant discovered (BA.2) which introduces issues with PCR tracking on 11:20 - Jan 31 with 664 viewsStokieBlue

A little bit more information out on this today for anyone that is interested.

It's looking like the BA.2 variant could be up to 50% more contagious than baseline Omicron and that it's not dominant in some countries (82% of the cases in Denmark but only 8% in the UK).

It's unknown whether Omicron (BA.1) infection gives protection from BA.2 infection but there are cases of people in Denmark getting reinfected with BA.2 after BA.1. It could lead to another wave but the good news is that as it stands it's not looking any worse than BA.1 with regards to symptoms.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/31/omicron-what-do-we-know-about-stea

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024