Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Ashton 16:59 - Dec 7 with 5030 viewsquad

I liked Paul Cook and personally would have given him a bit more time. I can fully understand why the decision was made to sack him though especially based on performances since the Wycombe game.

Putting that aside, I don't know Mark Ashton or what goes on behind the scenes but my gut feeling is that I don't particularly like him based on a few things.

1) That thing with the fans away at Lincoln was really cringeworthy. If I'd been there in the crowd I might have enjoyed it to be honest but in hindsight it was really embarrassing and almost as bad as Delia's rant. At least she had the excuse that she was p*ssed whereas he just came across as being a bit of a tool. No, a massive tool.

2) What the Bristol City fans have said about him. No smoke without fire. He does seem to have a massive ego and everything is about him and he comes across as narcissistic.

3) The pre-rehearsed speeches and tired old cliches he uses. He certainly talks well and says all the right things but..... just because he talks a good game doesn't necessarily mean he is good for the club.

4) He clearly had a very pivotal part in sacking Cook. If it wasn't entirely down to him he certainly had a major part to play in getting him sacked. Like I said I don't know him but he seems a bit of a snake.... bet he was all sweetness and smiles to Cook's face. Seems to have been an element of backstabbing going on.

5) The Norwood thing. I admit that I like Norwood despite all his off-field shenanigans. Norwood's tweets about Cook speak volumes. Clearly Ashton orchestrated Norwood being transfer-listed. I don't believe Ashton when he said that Cook could select whatever subs he wanted. I definitely believe Norwood on this one.

6) ITFC have decided to just sack Cook without sounding out a replacement manager first? Come on, really?? Are we expected to believe that?? It's a bit of an insult to fans intelligence really isn't it?? But Ashton certainly knows how to put on a front and say the right things but can't help thinking that he's somewhat conniving.

Just my thoughts and gut feeling, hopefully I've got him all wrong. Still feel like this sacking might come back to bite us in the ass. And if Norwood goes to Oxford it will definitely bite us in the ass.
Mark Ashton on 17:02 - Dec 7 with 3051 viewsmylittletown

As I have said before, he failed really at Bristol City. At best he didn't stuff things up. but they remain a moderate Championship side despite their budget and facilities.
No reason to think that he has any special magic or competence beyond that.
Mark Ashton on 17:12 - Dec 7 with 2978 viewsBlueBadger

Mark Ashton on 17:02 - Dec 7 by mylittletown

As I have said before, he failed really at Bristol City. At best he didn't stuff things up. but they remain a moderate Championship side despite their budget and facilities.

Arguably, given they've spent most of their lifetime as a lower division side and haven't played in the top flight in over 40 years, I think you'd probably say that he's taken them as far as he could given their history and potential and left them in a far better place given they now appear to be an established Championship club.

Not sure how you could describe that as failure.

All the management speak and inspirational ballacks is rather wearing at times, though.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2021 17:36]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mark Ashton on 17:13 - Dec 7 with 2960 viewsquad

He'll know how to brown-nose though and the Americans will love that.
Mark Ashton on 17:15 - Dec 7 with 2948 viewsRegencyBlue

So basically you would prefer it if Marcus Evans was still running the Club.

Given he destroyed us on and off the pitch and brought us to pretty much our lowest level in 60 years I’d say Ashton was a massive step forward!
Mark Ashton on 17:17 - Dec 7 with 2926 viewsWacko

I'm in two minds. He does sound like a knob, but the big difference between now and Bristol is that there are different people above him here, who can hopefully keep him in check and stop his ego taking over

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Mark Ashton on 17:19 - Dec 7 with 2909 viewsIpswichKnight

As someone who’s Mum was nearly killed by a drunk driver I personally hope he’s jailed and hope Ashton sacks his sorry bantz filled backside.

Bristol fans were under the illusion that ME was comparable to Ashton, they are of course so wrong it’s untrue, we’ve seen more ground improvements and community engagement from Ashton in 6 months than ME in 15 years. If they had ME as an owner they’d be saying Ashton was a genius and begging him to come back.
Mark Ashton on 17:24 - Dec 7 with 2860 viewsbazza

Mark Ashton on 17:12 - Dec 7 by BlueBadger

Arguably, given they've spent most of their lifetime as a lower division side and haven't played in the top flight in over 40 years, I think you'd probably say that he's taken them as far as he could given their history and potential and left them in a far better place given they now appear to be an established Championship club.

All the management speak and inspirational ballacks is rather wearing at times, though.

Exactly this.
Mark Ashton on 17:34 - Dec 7 with 2805 viewsJ2BLUE

Posts like this make me think we might actually deserve this hellish period we're going through.

Whenever something good comes our way some people seem desperate to see it fail.

A year ago we had no hope whatsoever. If Ashton is even averagely competent it's a massive step up.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Ashton on 17:35 - Dec 7 with 2787 viewsquad

Mark Ashton on 17:19 - Dec 7 by IpswichKnight

As someone who’s Mum was nearly killed by a drunk driver I personally hope he’s jailed and hope Ashton sacks his sorry bantz filled backside.

Bristol fans were under the illusion that ME was comparable to Ashton, they are of course so wrong it’s untrue, we’ve seen more ground improvements and community engagement from Ashton in 6 months than ME in 15 years. If they had ME as an owner they’d be saying Ashton was a genius and begging him to come back.

Very sorry to hear that. I apologise. All I meant was that as a player Norwood is half-decent. I accept that as a person he's a massive tw*t.
Mark Ashton on 17:36 - Dec 7 with 2770 viewswkj

I would love to have seen Cook given more time, but he just wasn't showing incremental improvement. We were still making the same mistakes we were making against Morcombe on day one of the season.

Without a doubt, he'd given us a lot more entertainment - but routinely squandering 2 goal leads is not a good look- especially seems as the goals have dried up.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mark Ashton on 17:39 - Dec 7 with 2727 viewsElephantintheRoom

Agree wyth points 1-5 but I doubt the parasites now running ITFC have any idea about a new manager - much less a amarmy extra from the office like Ashton

You could add the truly worrying thing about a smarm merchant like Ashton at a small Town club in distress -- the sheer cost of carrying him (and O' Leary) and the eye-watering sums of (borrowed) money they are already taking out of the club, let alone the bonuses they will get when and if Town actually get back in the Championship - let alone the fantasy of the prem. Given that the three gurning Americans who pretend to own the club also want their cut and that nice Mr Schwaertz is tasked with getting a return - then Town's current situation is far more dangerous than at any time in recent history.... it could all fall down like a house of cards.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Mark Ashton on 17:46 - Dec 7 with 2688 viewsBobbychase

He's turned around decades of fan engagement issues in half a season

He's taking on the mess we were behind the scenes. Finally. We would be horrified as fans, I expect, if we knew the full extent of the shambles that underpinned the Mick and Lambert eras.

He persuaded several Championship-standard players to drop down a level in the summer.

The stadium appearance is brilliant compared to how it was. Plenty more to do but at least he cares.

I didn't want Cook sacked, but give me a CEO with initiative rather than one that sits on their hands and hopes everything will come good.

I mean, no offence, but I read posts like this and I wonder if our club deserves the golden ticket it was handed in the summer when Gamechanger took over. We truly can find something to moan about in any situation.

Personally I couldn't give a s**t if any of our fans find Ashton a bit corporate and cringey. We have someone FINALLY who is prepared to take on the enormous challenges caused by more than a decade of decline.
Maybe I would find Ashton tiresome if I sat next to him on a long-haul flight or he was always chatting to me in my local, who cares. What really, really, really annoys me is the almost heat-seeking missile tendency in our fanbase to find something to complain about.

Norwich City hold midweek youth recruitment sessions in Whitton. WHITTON.
The whole Academy system is rigged to let Premier League clubs poach our best young players without paying what they are worth.
It's still hard to get a beer at half time.

Get annoyed about those things if you really have to grumble but the mannerisms of our CEO? I despair.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Mark Ashton on 17:46 - Dec 7 with 2683 viewsquad

Mark Ashton on 17:34 - Dec 7 by J2BLUE

Posts like this make me think we might actually deserve this hellish period we're going through.

Whenever something good comes our way some people seem desperate to see it fail.

A year ago we had no hope whatsoever. If Ashton is even averagely competent it's a massive step up.

I'm not questioning Ashton's ability or saying that he will fail at all. I don't think that for a second. And obviously everybody wanted the Evans era to be over.

I'm just saying that Ashton appears to have far too much of an ego and influence over the whole running of the club. I thought that his job was just to deal with the buying and selling of players and dealing with other clubs and all that side of things and nothing else.

Not getting involved in deciding who should be ITFC manager or having any involvement whatsoever in deciding who the manager should select for his team or matchday squads etc.. Maybe he just needs to be brought down a peg or two bythe owners, otherwise the new manager is not going to appreciate the control that Ashton seems to have now either.
Mark Ashton on 17:50 - Dec 7 with 2647 viewsgalacticoblue

Bring back Milne… or even better Clegg!
Mark Ashton on 17:50 - Dec 7 with 2635 viewsFixed_It

Mark Ashton on 17:39 - Dec 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Agree wyth points 1-5 but I doubt the parasites now running ITFC have any idea about a new manager - much less a amarmy extra from the office like Ashton

You could add the truly worrying thing about a smarm merchant like Ashton at a small Town club in distress -- the sheer cost of carrying him (and O' Leary) and the eye-watering sums of (borrowed) money they are already taking out of the club, let alone the bonuses they will get when and if Town actually get back in the Championship - let alone the fantasy of the prem. Given that the three gurning Americans who pretend to own the club also want their cut and that nice Mr Schwaertz is tasked with getting a return - then Town's current situation is far more dangerous than at any time in recent history.... it could all fall down like a house of cards.

You do talk a load of bollox, don't you!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Mark Ashton on 17:59 - Dec 7 with 2578 viewsmylittletown

Mark Ashton on 17:12 - Dec 7 by BlueBadger

What? It is the 6th biggest city in England, they are very well funded, they have a really good stadium, fantastic training facilities.
Mark Ashton on 18:01 - Dec 7 with 2547 viewsPinewoodblue

1) yes you have got him wrong.

2) you appear to have an overactive mind and time to waste putting your thoughts into words.

Edit I hope giving you an uppy hasn't confused you. It was not intended, should have been a Downie.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2021 18:03]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mark Ashton on 18:02 - Dec 7 with 2543 viewsreusersfreekicks

Have to say i was unconvinced when he said the players coming in weren't doing it for big wages but because they believed in the project or words to that effect
Mark Ashton on 18:02 - Dec 7 with 2538 viewsFixed_It

Mark Ashton on 17:46 - Dec 7 by quad

I'm not questioning Ashton's ability or saying that he will fail at all. I don't think that for a second. And obviously everybody wanted the Evans era to be over.

I'm just saying that Ashton appears to have far too much of an ego and influence over the whole running of the club. I thought that his job was just to deal with the buying and selling of players and dealing with other clubs and all that side of things and nothing else.

Not getting involved in deciding who should be ITFC manager or having any involvement whatsoever in deciding who the manager should select for his team or matchday squads etc.. Maybe he just needs to be brought down a peg or two bythe owners, otherwise the new manager is not going to appreciate the control that Ashton seems to have now either.

I think you've totally misunderstood his job description if that's what you think. He runs the show - with O'Leary there to keep him in check.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2021 18:03]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Mark Ashton on 18:04 - Dec 7 with 2496 viewsIllinoisblue

Mark Ashton on 17:13 - Dec 7 by quad

He'll know how to brown-nose though and the Americans will love that.

“The Americans will love that” Lol, have a lie down.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Mark Ashton on 18:05 - Dec 7 with 2463 viewsTexaco73

Jesus wept.

Get a grip people and stop looking for ways to discredit or encourage negativity.

So far Ashton has worked hard and improved things.(although to be honest that wasn't difficult)

So what if he comes over as a bit of a helmet at times. If he continues to change the club for the better, then I have no issue with him and he is doing alright in my book.
Mark Ashton on 18:05 - Dec 7 with 2459 viewsBobbychase

Mark Ashton on 17:46 - Dec 7 by quad

A lot of successful people are unlikeable. I want my club to be successful. Please Lord

Mark Ashton on 18:06 - Dec 7 with 2449 viewsBobbychase

Mark Ashton on 18:05 - Dec 7 by Texaco73

Jesus wept.

Get a grip people and stop looking for ways to discredit or encourage negativity.

So far Ashton has worked hard and improved things.(although to be honest that wasn't difficult)

So what if he comes over as a bit of a helmet at times. If he continues to change the club for the better, then I have no issue with him and he is doing alright in my book.

What he said.

Mark Ashton on 18:07 - Dec 7 with 2440 viewsStewart27

Course he had a part in sacking Cook.

He’s Cook’s boss.
Mark Ashton on 18:08 - Dec 7 with 2419 viewsquad

Mark Ashton on 17:46 - Dec 7 by Bobbychase

He's turned around decades of fan engagement issues in half a season

He's taking on the mess we were behind the scenes. Finally. We would be horrified as fans, I expect, if we knew the full extent of the shambles that underpinned the Mick and Lambert eras.

He persuaded several Championship-standard players to drop down a level in the summer.

The stadium appearance is brilliant compared to how it was. Plenty more to do but at least he cares.

I didn't want Cook sacked, but give me a CEO with initiative rather than one that sits on their hands and hopes everything will come good.

I mean, no offence, but I read posts like this and I wonder if our club deserves the golden ticket it was handed in the summer when Gamechanger took over. We truly can find something to moan about in any situation.

Personally I couldn't give a s**t if any of our fans find Ashton a bit corporate and cringey. We have someone FINALLY who is prepared to take on the enormous challenges caused by more than a decade of decline.
Maybe I would find Ashton tiresome if I sat next to him on a long-haul flight or he was always chatting to me in my local, who cares. What really, really, really annoys me is the almost heat-seeking missile tendency in our fanbase to find something to complain about.

Norwich City hold midweek youth recruitment sessions in Whitton. WHITTON.
The whole Academy system is rigged to let Premier League clubs poach our best young players without paying what they are worth.
It's still hard to get a beer at half time.

Get annoyed about those things if you really have to grumble but the mannerisms of our CEO? I despair.

I'm not getting annoyed or grumbling about anything. I'm not predicting that Ashton will fail either.

I'm just concerned that Ashton appears to have too much of an ego and control over issues which shouldn't be a part of his job description which might hinder a new manager who might be put off by his interference and wondered what others thought about that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024