Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recruitment all wrong? 22:51 - Dec 7 with 625 viewsportmanking

Instead of using that US investment to find players that would see us as a step up and have the heart and desire to make the club proud, we opted for a very different route. Mainly tried and trusted players that saw us as a step down with healthy salaries to soften the blow.

How many of those 19 signings were 100% Cook signings too? I have a real feeling that Ashton will have had a hand in almost half of them, so he too should be feeling a real sense of responsibility right now.

We've seen so many teams at this level now play simple, structured and effective styles that prove successful in League 1. We didn't need flair players coming out of our ears. We just needed a team. And we're so far from being a team it's untrue. In fact, I'd argue this current crop is more disjointed than even the Paul Jewell era.

It's going to take a good manager to solve this. My fear is that Liam Manning or someone of that ilk might see it as too big a job and would prefer to carry on his good work at MK Dons.
Recruitment all wrong? on 22:54 - Dec 7 with 575 viewsWacko

What happened to the data driven recruitment? Why does it take so long to setup? You just buy the software, employ a couple of spods and you're all set to go

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Recruitment all wrong? on 22:55 - Dec 7 with 548 viewsportmanking

Recruitment all wrong? on 22:54 - Dec 7 by Wacko

What happened to the data driven recruitment? Why does it take so long to setup? You just buy the software, employ a couple of spods and you're all set to go

It does beg the question as to why you'd rip up an entire squad WITHOUT the data-driven recruitment they've been speaking of since taking over.
Recruitment all wrong? on 22:58 - Dec 7 with 516 viewsChurchman

You have no evidence for paragraph two. Until Cook says that was the case or there is more evidence than the mouthing of a Bristol City window licker, I will not call out Ashton as a liar.

Agree with the rest of your post though. I’m struggling to see why anyone any good would pitch up here
Recruitment all wrong? on 23:00 - Dec 7 with 481 viewsportmanking

Recruitment all wrong? on 22:58 - Dec 7 by Churchman

You have no evidence for paragraph two. Until Cook says that was the case or there is more evidence than the mouthing of a Bristol City window licker, I will not call out Ashton as a liar.

Agree with the rest of your post though. I’m struggling to see why anyone any good would pitch up here

Re. paragraph 2 - he certainly had a major hand in Harper and Edwards, given his WBA connections. I think Cook missed out on more of HIS signings and Stuart Watson alluded in his latest podcast that Cook had been keen on bringing Chey Dunkley and Nathan Byrne in but both had been poo-poo'd by Ashton and co.
Recruitment all wrong? on 23:02 - Dec 7 with 457 viewsFevsBCFC

Thanks, as the father of a disabled child, I thought I’d gone back to the 1970s with comments like “window licker”. Wow!!! Nice insult.
Recruitment all wrong? on 23:03 - Dec 7 with 439 viewsCokeIsKey

Our recruitment in general has been a bit of a shambles. Some of the signings are Ashton players who look decent but don’t fit into our style of play (Harper, Fraser), some just haven’t been good enough (Barry, Penney) and a couple are Cook signings who aren’t as good as they were a couple of years ago - and now don’t their manager with them (Evans, Morsy).

You have to question how much thought Mark and Paul put into this transfer window - it looks like they just threw money at whatever player did decent the season before. There was no thought about how the players could fit into the squad and work together.

And the problem is we won’t be able to sell any of them with the wages that they are on. Our new coach will have to be incredibly flexible to get the best use out of our signings.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Recruitment all wrong? on 23:03 - Dec 7 with 423 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Ashton said in his interview that recruitment in January would still happen if he hadn't appointed a manager by then.

So how does he know the attributes and characters of the players that the manager that he hasn't appointed yet wants?

Or maybe he's a man on his own little mission?
Recruitment all wrong? on 23:05 - Dec 7 with 378 viewsportmanking

Recruitment all wrong? on 23:03 - Dec 7 by CokeIsKey

Our recruitment in general has been a bit of a shambles. Some of the signings are Ashton players who look decent but don’t fit into our style of play (Harper, Fraser), some just haven’t been good enough (Barry, Penney) and a couple are Cook signings who aren’t as good as they were a couple of years ago - and now don’t their manager with them (Evans, Morsy).

You have to question how much thought Mark and Paul put into this transfer window - it looks like they just threw money at whatever player did decent the season before. There was no thought about how the players could fit into the squad and work together.

And the problem is we won’t be able to sell any of them with the wages that they are on. Our new coach will have to be incredibly flexible to get the best use out of our signings.

Exactly this. It feels like Ashton and Cook just went for their top picks with minimal consideration for how they would fit in the overall system. As you say, Harper and Fraser are the most mystifying.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024