Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warnock 06:58 - Dec 8 with 990 viewssaffers12

If ever a club needed him - it is our club, right now

give him 2 seasons to sort

Warnock on 07:00 - Dec 8 with 975 viewsgordon

We've more chance of Pep getting it.
Warnock on 07:15 - Dec 8 with 905 viewsBondiBlue

I think after last night i'm in full agreement with this. Unifying figure needed judging by certain performances and the scenes at FT

Poll: Which would you accept?

Warnock on 07:16 - Dec 8 with 902 viewsKieran_Knows

Ffs, no.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Warnock on 07:19 - Dec 8 with 885 viewssaffers12

Warnock on 07:16 - Dec 8 by Kieran_Knows

Ffs, no.

who then??

Bircham at the game, now thats a worry!
Warnock on 07:20 - Dec 8 with 882 viewswkj

Warnock on 07:16 - Dec 8 by Kieran_Knows

Ffs, no.

Im guessing all the calls for Warnock are because we want someone to punch the players for us - he's not a bad manager for getting results, but those who wanted good looking football cant possibly be wanting Warnock as well.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Warnock on 07:22 - Dec 8 with 863 viewsBondiBlue

Warnock on 07:20 - Dec 8 by wkj

Im guessing all the calls for Warnock are because we want someone to punch the players for us - he's not a bad manager for getting results, but those who wanted good looking football cant possibly be wanting Warnock as well.

I've thought i've wanted good-looking football for 25 years of following town. Last night i realised the thing i really really want is just to not be in league one any more.

Warnock on 07:22 - Dec 8 with 857 viewssaffers12

Warnock on 07:20 - Dec 8 by wkj

I want us to win, thats all. not bothered how
Warnock on 07:26 - Dec 8 with 840 viewswkj

Warnock on 07:22 - Dec 8 by saffers12

I want us to win, thats all. not bothered how

This is the pendulum of town fans, probably football fans. If we're winning and playing boring football, we don't go to games in good numbers. Boring football was why people were fed up with MM, despite getting a decent win rate (sans his last season)

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Warnock on 07:31 - Dec 8 with 816 viewsBondiBlue

Warnock on 07:26 - Dec 8 by wkj

This is the pendulum of town fans, probably football fans. If we're winning and playing boring football, we don't go to games in good numbers. Boring football was why people were fed up with MM, despite getting a decent win rate (sans his last season)

Average attendances here. 14-15, unsurprisingly, highest for a while.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ipswich-town/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/677

Mick was right. If you're winning, no-one cares.

Warnock on 07:36 - Dec 8 with 786 viewswkj

Warnock on 07:31 - Dec 8 by BondiBlue

Average attendances here. 14-15, unsurprisingly, highest for a while.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ipswich-town/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/677

Mick was right. If you're winning, no-one cares.

Crazy isn't it

17/18 - We finished 12th, yet didn't break 17k average. The fatigue with MM was really evident. The season prior we only managed to finish 16th though, so at that point we were not only playing boring football, but not winning a whole lot of games either.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2021 7:37]

Crybaby

Warnock on 07:38 - Dec 8 with 783 viewsdavblue

If you've recruited a certain style of player then who want a manager who's has a completely different style, it doesn't make sense from a business point of view.

This team isn't set up as a Warnock style team and we need to appoint a manager of similar style to Cook otherwise we will get into a muddled state where we have 3 managers players with different styles.
Warnock on 07:51 - Dec 8 with 715 viewsketton_itfc

I’m for him coming in to steady the ship and wait for the right guy in the Summer and of course with Colin you have a manager capable of going on a run. Get it wrong now and it will turn far uglier, can you imagine being 2-0 down to Sunderland with someone like Bircham in charge??
Warnock on 08:13 - Dec 8 with 658 viewsVic

Warnock on 07:38 - Dec 8 by davblue

If you've recruited a certain style of player then who want a manager who's has a completely different style, it doesn't make sense from a business point of view.

This team isn't set up as a Warnock style team and we need to appoint a manager of similar style to Cook otherwise we will get into a muddled state where we have 3 managers players with different styles.

Indeed. The owners have insisted that Cook would have been their choice too so presumably they must buy into his style for the club.

What style does someone like Appleton play? (Though his star is on the wain at the moment at Lincoln)

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Warnock on 08:40 - Dec 8 with 613 viewsKieran_Knows

Warnock on 07:19 - Dec 8 by saffers12

who then??

Bircham at the game, now thats a worry!

I don't know, just not some clogger on their last legs again. Warnock has already stated (I know he's said it a million times before) that this season is absolutely his last. Why appoint someone for 6 months and be in the same position next summer?

Think long term, sack the season off if we have too and appoint someone with a vision and a style of play that will get fans back on side again. Manning is such an obvious choice its unreal.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Warnock on 08:51 - Dec 8 with 591 viewsportmanking

Warnock on 08:40 - Dec 8 by Kieran_Knows

I don't know, just not some clogger on their last legs again. Warnock has already stated (I know he's said it a million times before) that this season is absolutely his last. Why appoint someone for 6 months and be in the same position next summer?

Think long term, sack the season off if we have too and appoint someone with a vision and a style of play that will get fans back on side again. Manning is such an obvious choice its unreal.

This. A 10000%.

When the going gets tough we can't revert to an old comfy pair of slippers (Mick/Warnock) each time. This time we need to be bold and innovative if we're going to make a difference. But the most important aspect of all is they'll need to be given TIME.
Warnock on 08:53 - Dec 8 with 582 viewsrickw

Warnock on 08:40 - Dec 8 by Kieran_Knows

I've been against a short-term appointment like Warnock before, but I think these players need a rocket up their backsides, which he can provide as opposed to a young manager who wouldn't have that respect from the players, after he goes hopefully the players will remember what's required.

Perhaps in the summer Manning could be a good choice - as he's more likely to be happy to move on then and a little more experienced - assuming they're not in a higher division than us!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Warnock on 08:58 - Dec 8 with 553 viewsChurchman

Warnock on 07:22 - Dec 8 by BondiBlue

I've thought i've wanted good-looking football for 25 years of following town. Last night i realised the thing i really really want is just to not be in league one any more.

It doesn’t have to be either or. A good team can and usually does play good exiting football as well as grinding out the odd result. The John Beck, McCarthy, Boothroyd, Pulis method is not the only route to success.

People look back all misty eyed at McCarthy’s time, but whilst it was effective with the crumbs Evans allowed him, it was tedious in extreme. I can fully understand why supporters stopped going in droves.
Warnock on 09:07 - Dec 8 with 518 viewsiamipswich

Warnock is twice the manager of McCarthy. Certainly in the EFL. People like winning football which is what Warnock invariably plays. People who think we're too good for Warnock are part of the reason we're working through managers like nobody's business and slowly sinker further down the ladder.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2021 9:07]

Poll: Who will return first?

Warnock on 09:09 - Dec 8 with 484 viewsclive_baker

I honestly would be inclined to agree. Sadly we're in no position to be too cute about any of it. The suggestion of Manning is absolutely ludicrous I think, given the state of things. It's pretty depressing that we're where we are, but I think Warnock is probably the standout candidate.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Warnock on 09:17 - Dec 8 with 439 viewsGuthrum

Warnock on 08:51 - Dec 8 by portmanking

This. A 10000%.

When the going gets tough we can't revert to an old comfy pair of slippers (Mick/Warnock) each time. This time we need to be bold and innovative if we're going to make a difference. But the most important aspect of all is they'll need to be given TIME.

Time is all very well, but they have to have the ability to get the team functioning, too. The reason Cook lost support was because he wasn't really demonstrating that, except for the odd game. There was no build-up of positive momentum, even a slow one.

That ability is the trickiest thing to identify and hire, partly because it is very situational. Managers having wild success in lower divisions can fold at a higher level. Control freaks don't like having someone looking over their shoulder, while some crave strong guidance. An intense or strict manager can rub some players up the wrong way and invigorate others. A chummy bloke will do the same. Some peole will be rigidly wedded to a single way of playing, because it worked in their previous job. There might be issues with losing trusted members of their old support staff. They may demand a bunch of new signings - but not be very good at picking recruits.

Picking the manager who will work at your club is not an easy or simple task. Hopefully having a more football-experienced executive/ownership will make for a better choice this time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Warnock on 09:20 - Dec 8 with 416 viewsBondiBlue

Warnock on 08:58 - Dec 8 by Churchman

It doesn’t have to be either or. A good team can and usually does play good exiting football as well as grinding out the odd result. The John Beck, McCarthy, Boothroyd, Pulis method is not the only route to success.

People look back all misty eyed at McCarthy’s time, but whilst it was effective with the crumbs Evans allowed him, it was tedious in extreme. I can fully understand why supporters stopped going in droves.

But we've spent years now trying to achieve both and have ended up mid-table in the league below. Lets stop trying to be man city and just try to be rotherham.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024