Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
About as low as it's ever been 09:55 - Dec 8 with 1524 viewsSomethingBlue

Gamechanger have a big problem now and it's one that, sadly for them because the last decade isn't their fault, they were always going to face if things went rocky early on. How do you sell fans the idea that things are going to get better now?

That was just horrible last night, not sure I've seen a worse Town performance in my life when players/opposition are put into context, a kind interpretation would be that they just looked confused. The atmosphere in there was bleak as soon as the first goal went in and by the end it was just very, very depressing. Not a lot more to say really.

We wouldn't have had that performance under Cook and probably not even that outcome, which tells me they've gone too early sacking him — a replacement should at least have been in the wings. Now we've given ourselves an enormous problem and are making ourselves look less and less attractive to potential managers into the bargain.

What a shame. I can't believe it's come to this already.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2021 9:58]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About as low as it's ever been on 09:58 - Dec 8 with 1473 viewsgordon

Yup, agree with all of that, and then you've got the three fixtures coming up next week to factor in, with hardly any coaching team and a temporary manager who doesn't know the players and has basically been hustled into the job.
About as low as it's ever been on 09:59 - Dec 8 with 1446 viewschicoazul

Banter era my friend. I know Barney Ronay laughs about a witches curse at Tottenham but I genuinely believe Magilton cursed us with ancient Celtic Thelema when he left us.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About as low as it's ever been on 10:02 - Dec 8 with 1396 viewsJ2BLUE

How many times over the last 15 years have we said I can't believe it's come to this.

It just seems endless. Looking at how divided the fans have been over the last few years we are going to have people turn on the new manager from day 1 because he wasn't their choice. It's just so tiring.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About as low as it's ever been on 10:03 - Dec 8 with 1370 viewsportmanking

Re. needing a replacement in the wings - this, with bells on.

If we were going to rip it all up, the club needed to have Plan B in place BEFORE firing Cook, regardless of what Ashton may say about that "not being the way they do things". Instead, we're wasting games and points and - as you say - potentially deterring potential managers from considering picking up the reins.
About as low as it's ever been on 10:03 - Dec 8 with 1364 viewsgordon

About as low as it's ever been on 09:59 - Dec 8 by chicoazul

Banter era my friend. I know Barney Ronay laughs about a witches curse at Tottenham but I genuinely believe Magilton cursed us with ancient Celtic Thelema when he left us.

Yeah, think we're still on the downwards slope, quite far off rock bottom. But always remember that every day that passes is a day closer to the next false dawn.
About as low as it's ever been on 10:08 - Dec 8 with 1314 viewsGuthrum

Part of the problem is the sheer density of games in League One. In less than 72 hours, McGreal had gone from an U23 coaching role to having to put out the first team in a fairly stiff League away fixture, with the players demoralised by the sacking of a manager who meant a lot to several of them. Following recovery from Saturday, he had just the one training session before they travelled. He didn't have a chance to do a great deal, either organisationally or motivationally.

Also, I'm not convinced that things would have been so much better under Cook, given the flat performances against Crewe and Barrow.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About as low as it's ever been on 10:13 - Dec 8 with 1256 viewsJDB23

I think the timing on the decision was a hard one for the owners. You can see merit in giving him the Charlton and Wigan games, but what if we had got 3 points from them for example? We wouldn't have been any closer to changing our fortunes but if they sacked him then there would have still been a massive division on whether it was right or not. If we won both of them he would have stayed, but that was very unlikely. If we got less than 3 points the season would be over anyway.

Maybe it would have been better to let Cook fall on his sword for the sake of unity, but this all could have been avoided if Cook didn't make a complete hash of the opening 20 games in the first place.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2021 10:14]
About as low as it's ever been on 10:21 - Dec 8 with 1157 viewsSwansea_Blue

It is, but let's not get to doom and gloom about the bigger picture all of a sudden. Last night doesn't really change anything in terms of how disappointing the season has been overall (we've been lower in the table for many weeks). We've also had a couple of equally abject performances this season. We've a new structure being put in place behind the scenes and the new owners said from the start that there's a lot to do to put right the damage of Evans' tenure.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

About as low as it's ever been on 10:24 - Dec 8 with 1126 viewsGlasgowBlue

The only way to sell it now is to get a marque manager.

I disagree about not seeing a performance like that under Cook. Wimbledon and Doncaster last April were very similar.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2021 10:25]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About as low as it's ever been on 10:26 - Dec 8 with 1089 viewsjayessess

Not a big fan of the "wait until we have someone in the wings" approach really. It narrows your eventual options, you have to do it behind the incumbent's back, it denies you the sometimes useful opportunity to assess the ability of an interim coach (something from which yesterday's opposition benefitted heartily of late).

I still think a confident manager is going to look at our shambles and see a club at it's nadir that they can't help but send in an upwards direction.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About as low as it's ever been on 10:30 - Dec 8 with 1050 viewsGuthrum

About as low as it's ever been on 10:26 - Dec 8 by jayessess

Not a big fan of the "wait until we have someone in the wings" approach really. It narrows your eventual options, you have to do it behind the incumbent's back, it denies you the sometimes useful opportunity to assess the ability of an interim coach (something from which yesterday's opposition benefitted heartily of late).

I still think a confident manager is going to look at our shambles and see a club at it's nadir that they can't help but send in an upwards direction.

And when it leaks out, causes further embarassment and disruption.

Precludes approaching anyone already in a job, too. You can't formally negotiate with a candidate behind their current employer's back.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About as low as it's ever been on 10:35 - Dec 8 with 1005 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You'll get more up arrows for saying that than I have recently (the sacked too soon bit especially) but I think you're spot on with the whole post. What a right mess.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About as low as it's ever been on 10:37 - Dec 8 with 988 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

About as low as it's ever been on 10:03 - Dec 8 by portmanking

If we were going to rip it all up, the club needed to have Plan B in place BEFORE firing Cook, regardless of what Ashton may say about that "not being the way they do things". Instead, we're wasting games and points and - as you say - potentially deterring potential managers from considering picking up the reins.

And by the time the new manager's in the season will be over. Brilliant thinking lads!

About as low as it's ever been on 10:39 - Dec 8 with 963 viewsRadioOrwell

"We wouldn't have had that performance under Cook and probably not even that outcome"

That is complete twaddle.
About as low as it's ever been on 10:40 - Dec 8 with 942 viewsLankHenners

Performance wise in the end it reminded me of some of the games under Lambert in the Championship towards the end of that season, Brentford, Sheff Utd away etc. where there was a sickening realisation of just how far off it we are.

People over (and mis-) use words about players not caring or not showing passion but last night there was a real sense of the players looking lost and just seemed to be playing with a sulk on, particularly once the first goal went in. Cook failed to get the team going and he’s, perhaps prematurely, paid the price for it but really not good that the players put in that performance when, as they all repeatedly tell us, there’s plenty of time to turn things around.

Maybe at heart they’re really down about not being right up there by now and are worried they’ve made a mistake coming here in the summer but somehow someone needs to find a way to shake them of that nonsense, something I fear may be too big a task for a Manning e.g., this season at least.

I was certainly leaning towards Cook needing to go but always felt that if he was to go we needed to have someone ready and waiting to hit the ground running rather than risk what’s happening now happening.

All a total mess and incredibly frustrating and disheartening.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About as low as it's ever been on 10:41 - Dec 8 with 932 viewsRadioOrwell

About as low as it's ever been on 10:03 - Dec 8 by portmanking

How do you know they don't ?
About as low as it's ever been on 10:50 - Dec 8 with 856 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

About as low as it's ever been on 10:24 - Dec 8 by GlasgowBlue

The only way to sell it now is to get a marque manager.

I disagree about not seeing a performance like that under Cook. Wimbledon and Doncaster last April were very similar.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2021 10:25]

Nothing was as bad as that Glassers. Did either of those teams look like beating us for 6?

I agree, we need a marque manager.

About as low as it's ever been on 10:54 - Dec 8 with 799 viewsjayessess

About as low as it's ever been on 10:40 - Dec 8 by LankHenners

Performance wise in the end it reminded me of some of the games under Lambert in the Championship towards the end of that season, Brentford, Sheff Utd away etc. where there was a sickening realisation of just how far off it we are.

People over (and mis-) use words about players not caring or not showing passion but last night there was a real sense of the players looking lost and just seemed to be playing with a sulk on, particularly once the first goal went in. Cook failed to get the team going and he’s, perhaps prematurely, paid the price for it but really not good that the players put in that performance when, as they all repeatedly tell us, there’s plenty of time to turn things around.

Maybe at heart they’re really down about not being right up there by now and are worried they’ve made a mistake coming here in the summer but somehow someone needs to find a way to shake them of that nonsense, something I fear may be too big a task for a Manning e.g., this season at least.

I was certainly leaning towards Cook needing to go but always felt that if he was to go we needed to have someone ready and waiting to hit the ground running rather than risk what’s happening now happening.

All a total mess and incredibly frustrating and disheartening.

It is a shambles right now, but ultimately we've got to trust that these players have the ability and character to pull out of this with the right leadership.

This group might be hurting right now, but ultimately if they don't get cracking they'll all be doing their careers tremendous self-harm. We have a squad of mostly peak age players, whose best chance of playing at a higher level is promotion with us. Their next best chance is playing out of their skin for us. That's the reality and even if they're feeling betrayed right now, they'll need to get over it pronto. If they can't, well there's a queue of players behind them who can take the opportunity they've spurned.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About as low as it's ever been on 11:48 - Dec 8 with 625 viewsSteve_M

I can't see that it would have been any better had Cook been in charge still, maybe Morsy and Evans might not have given up quite so shamefully as they did last night but Crewe cut through us equally easily without being anywhere near as good as Charlton were.

Not that there was anything positive to take from last night, a complete capitulation up there with the games immediately after Jewell and Hurst left the club or the awful match at Reading under Mowbray.

The biggest issue with this group of player is organisation off the ball, it's not been good at any point this season and has fallen away totally in the last month to the level at the start of the season. There's enough ability in the squad to get them properly organised and build from there.

All about the next appointment now, we've only made a good decision three times since Burley was sacked. A lot of pressure on it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024