Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lampard 09:27 - Dec 9 with 2864 viewsEly_Blue

Just talking to my Chelsea supporting colleague about this and his first reply to me was

“I hope you don’t want to defend”

In that sentence it’s enough to make it a no from me

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Lampard on 09:29 - Dec 9 with 2780 viewsunbelievablue

Lol.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Lampard on 09:31 - Dec 9 with 2749 viewshype313

Don't get the fascination or rationale behind Lampard, when you look at the comparisons with him and Gerrard, you can see Gerrard is a student of the game, he looked at the best ways to get into management and how he could find a pathway to his dream job and so far he is on the right track, he has been meticulous in his decisions. Lampard was like a 16yr old jumping in to bed with to Miss World, it was always going to be a let down.

I feel Lampard is better suited to a media role, whereas Gerrard is more suited to the hustle and bustle of football management.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Lampard on 09:32 - Dec 9 with 2685 viewsBlueBadger

Lampard on 09:31 - Dec 9 by hype313

Don't get the fascination or rationale behind Lampard, when you look at the comparisons with him and Gerrard, you can see Gerrard is a student of the game, he looked at the best ways to get into management and how he could find a pathway to his dream job and so far he is on the right track, he has been meticulous in his decisions. Lampard was like a 16yr old jumping in to bed with to Miss World, it was always going to be a let down.

I feel Lampard is better suited to a media role, whereas Gerrard is more suited to the hustle and bustle of football management.

There's a substantial minority of our support that value how a manager does in the media rather than how he actually performs on the pitch.

See also: Roy Keane, Paul Lambert and, to a far lesser extent, Paul Cook.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lampard on 09:33 - Dec 9 with 2664 viewshype313

Lampard on 09:32 - Dec 9 by BlueBadger

There's a substantial minority of our support that value how a manager does in the media rather than how he actually performs on the pitch.

Yep, even saw someone say he should get the job after watching his interview with Neville.

Madness.

Lampard on 09:35 - Dec 9 with 2618 viewsGuthrum

I think part of the problem with Lampard is they wanted to hustle him into the Chelsea job too soon. Always got the idea the Derby job was more of a temporary placement until the vacancy came up.

He comes across as an reasonably bright bloke, perhaps now he's got that out of the way, he might be able to develop in a more sensible way at a lower level club.

I'm also not sure that Derby County is the best introduction to or preparation for anything, management-wise.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lampard on 09:36 - Dec 9 with 2601 viewsclive_baker

I would've said Rangers was a much bigger first senior level gig in management than Derby County.

It's weird that when a supporter of another club says something its treated as gospel, but when anyone on here suggests anything it's widely dismissed as bs. Chelsea were a little more leaky than you would expect of them, but he was there under difficult cirtcumstances for the most part and it was a mamouth job. Derby conceded less than Norwich under Lampard, and they won the league. Less than Villa too, who won the p/offs.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Lampard on 09:36 - Dec 9 with 2592 viewsStokieBlue

I guess a possible plus point would be he *might* be able to attract players who would otherwise not consider coming to Town.

Tends to require us to be in the Championship though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lampard on 09:37 - Dec 9 with 2537 viewsStokieBlue

Lampard on 09:36 - Dec 9 by clive_baker

I would've said Rangers was a much bigger first senior level gig in management than Derby County.

It's weird that when a supporter of another club says something its treated as gospel, but when anyone on here suggests anything it's widely dismissed as bs. Chelsea were a little more leaky than you would expect of them, but he was there under difficult cirtcumstances for the most part and it was a mamouth job. Derby conceded less than Norwich under Lampard, and they won the league. Less than Villa too, who won the p/offs.

"It's weird that when a supporter of another club says something its treated as gospel"

This happens all the time on here. It's a classic appeal to authority fallacy and pretty weird as you say.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Lampard on 09:39 - Dec 9 with 2514 viewshype313

Lampard on 09:36 - Dec 9 by StokieBlue

I guess a possible plus point would be he *might* be able to attract players who would otherwise not consider coming to Town.

SB

That's all very well and good but you need to be able to have the tactical nous to get the best out of them.

He was given huge funds at Derby and Chelsea and he didn't make any improvements following Rowett at Derby and Chelsea were hugely underperforming despite him spending £245m.

Lampard on 09:41 - Dec 9 with 2456 viewshype313

Lampard on 09:36 - Dec 9 by clive_baker

"I would've said Rangers was a much bigger first senior level gig in management than Derby County."

Totally agree, but he looked at the Rangers gig and realised that he had a 50/50 chance of winning the title and getting CL football within a year, thus getting a big tick on his CV.

Lampard on 09:43 - Dec 9 with 2419 viewsSWGF

My (completely unfounded) concern with Lampard would be that he'd phone it in. After Chelsea, he's had his go at the best job he's going to get. What are his aspirations?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Lampard on 09:45 - Dec 9 with 2357 viewsSWGF

Lampard on 09:36 - Dec 9 by StokieBlue

SB

Could be argued (although not on current standings) that we've already been able to attract players who would otherwise not consider coming to Town. It's the bit *after* that which needs the improvement.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Lampard on 09:45 - Dec 9 with 2355 viewsunbelievablue

Lampard on 09:43 - Dec 9 by SWGF

My (completely unfounded) concern with Lampard would be that he'd phone it in. After Chelsea, he's had his go at the best job he's going to get. What are his aspirations?

I actually think taking the job would be a big risk for him in terms of his career aspirations. If he signed, but doesn't get it right, and fails to get us up next year despite financial backing and a good squad, he'd look a bit naff.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Lampard on 09:45 - Dec 9 with 2354 viewshype313

Lampard on 09:43 - Dec 9 by SWGF

Indeed, but if he did take the job then it would be a statement of intent form him going from Chelsea to a League One club, you could give him some kudos for genuinely wanting to become a successful manager.

However, as you say, if he does come here he's going from driving a Bentley Continental to an XR3i.

Lampard on 10:37 - Dec 9 with 1959 viewsWD19

What is the "defending" of which you speak? Only Accrington have conceded more goals at home than us.
Lampard on 10:39 - Dec 9 with 1922 viewsclive_baker

Lampard on 09:45 - Dec 9 by hype313

Indeed, but if he did take the job then it would be a statement of intent form him going from Chelsea to a League One club, you could give him some kudos for genuinely wanting to become a successful manager.

However, as you say, if he does come here he's going from driving a Bentley Continental to an XR3i.

Harsh on the Ford.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Lampard on 10:39 - Dec 9 with 1915 viewsBluefields

Have you watched his interview with Gary Neville?
He comes across very well and I would love to see him here.
Lampard on 10:43 - Dec 9 with 1860 viewshype313

Lampard on 10:39 - Dec 9 by Bluefields

Have you watched his interview with Gary Neville?
He comes across very well and I would love to see him here.

Mate, having a chin wag with a mate in a pub talking footy doesn't mean he would be a successful manager here.

Neville often speaks well, doesn't mean he would go into management.

Lampard on 10:46 - Dec 9 with 1809 viewsmonty_radio

Lampard on 09:32 - Dec 9 by BlueBadger

Don't think we've actually had anyone who treated media properly for a long time. We've had managers who were fine when the interview progressed on their own terms. But Cook's refusal to let the interviewer shape the dialogue and Lambert, Hurst and Mick's tendency to offer a return of a sarky question if they didn't like the one being asked was never a good look to me in spite of the buzz that sort of stance seemed to give to not a few.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Lampard on 10:48 - Dec 9 with 1785 viewsBluefields

Lampard on 10:43 - Dec 9 by hype313

Mate, having a chin wag with a mate in a pub talking footy doesn't mean he would be a successful manager here.

Neville often speaks well, doesn't mean he would go into management.

He explains why he went to Chelsea and didnt expect to be in the job long term. Got Chelsea in to the Champions League whilst under a transfer embargo, recruited well and admitted he fell short of their targets but left them in a better position than when he went there.

I still believe Neville would make an excellent manager but clearly loves his wotk in the media.
Why would you not want him and who do you want?
Still think Cook wouldve got this lot in to the play offs but there you go.
Lampard on 10:50 - Dec 9 with 1773 viewsVaughan8

"Chelsea supporting colleague" - Doesn't sound promising haha

I suppose I shouldn't tarnish them all with the same brush but nearly all (if not all) of the Chelsea fans I know would not be a great advisor about football unless its quoting prices they paid for players.
Lampard on 10:50 - Dec 9 with 1761 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I have never met either player to discuss the intricacies of their decision making, so will bow to your judgement.
Lampard on 10:56 - Dec 9 with 1713 viewsgordon

Lampard on 09:45 - Dec 9 by SWGF

Could be argued (although not on current standings) that we've already been able to attract players who would otherwise not consider coming to Town. It's the bit *after* that which needs the improvement.

We'd probably be better off if we weren't as good at attracting new players and had to actually train and coach the ones we've got.
Lampard on 11:00 - Dec 9 with 1673 viewsitfcjoe

Lampard on 09:39 - Dec 9 by hype313

That's all very well and good but you need to be able to have the tactical nous to get the best out of them.

He was given huge funds at Derby and Chelsea and he didn't make any improvements following Rowett at Derby and Chelsea were hugely underperforming despite him spending £245m.

He did a good job at Derby - beat Bielsa over 2 legs in play offs, and then fell just short against a Villa side that had Grealish, Tammy Abraham, Mings and John McGinn starting for them. He was the tail end of big spending at Derby, and his main signings were Jack Marriott and Martyn Waghorn - compare that to what other teams up there were bringing in and it is mad.

The loans were a success with Mount and Tomori helped with his Chelsea links, but they were getting first taste of senior football in this country.

Chelsea he did well at, hit a sticky patch after signings of Havertz and Werner which seemed more club signings than his choice and the most ruthless club got shot as Tuchel was available - but he certainly did a good job there moving them on with the transfer ban, and his work in bringing through James, Mount etc has saved the club hundreds of millions of pounds.

I don't expect to see him here, and have reservations like SWGF later re his desire - if it doesn't work out here who goes back to the pundits sofa earning millions a year. Is this the sort of job that is going to get him bouncing out of bed for? A bad 12 months and his management career could be shot

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024