Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London 15:50 - Dec 9 with 1653 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

where would you be looking... in terms of up and coming, not too far out, but still reasonably priced/places you can get more for your money?

Looking to buy in the new year, just starting to do a bit of research where. I suppose something has to give re size of property v location (nearness to Central or easy transport in, but also a nice area), it's just finding that sweet spot.

The overground seems huge these days, maybe there's a place on that I've overlooked?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 15:58 - Dec 9 with 1615 viewsSomethingBlue

The areas just beyond Blackheath — like Lee and Hither Green — still haven't quite gone nuts price-wise while being superbly located, though maybe you're looking further out than that. Looked round a few very nice places round there earlier this year and there's some surprising value to be found, but haven't yet decided whether to do it, I'm very set in my north London ways.

Edit — a friend moved to Beckenham recently and that seems very decent, good stuff going on & a huge drop-off in price, not sure I'd do that yet myself but it may be worth considering.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2021 15:59]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:01 - Dec 9 with 1587 viewsitfcjoe

Best bet is probably somewhere around 2009....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:02 - Dec 9 with 1574 viewstextbackup

Ipswich

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:02 - Dec 9 with 1566 viewsWeWereZombies

Gatwick?

I've heard that parking is no problem there...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:03 - Dec 9 with 1558 viewsMookamoo

Child 1 is looking at Walthamstow. Currently renting in Clapton.
If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:06 - Dec 9 with 1534 viewsclive_baker

Anything centralish Zone 1 - 3 the price tend to be nuts, then you find that when you get out into the nice, leafy towns of Kent and Surrey they're also nuts, because they're lovely and green, but close to London and well connected.

So what you sometimes find is somewhere between the 2 might get overlooked in terms of true value for money (Z4 / Z5). Especially if you need to commute to central London, if you factor that cost in you're probably worse off paying national rail prices + property price in Epsom or Ashtead vs. being in a zone.

SE still represents the best value IMO although it's all relative of course. My old stomping ground. Beckenham? It's not cheap mind.

EDIT: Sutton if you're looking at SW. Zone 4, quick and easy into central, lots of amenities. You can get to Wimbledon / Balham etc in no time at all but you find the price tags are nothing like those places. Again, I wouldn't say it's cheap but it's all relative. And it's a bit rough around the edges in parts, but when you consider what's around it I've always thought it's probably a good punt. Plus you can watch Town at Sutton United when we're relegated.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2021 16:09]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:06 - Dec 9 with 1526 viewsStokieBlue

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:03 - Dec 9 by Mookamoo

Child 1 is looking at Walthamstow. Currently renting in Clapton.

Walthamstow is nice, there is an excellent micro-brewery scene around there and walks around the wetlands. Well connected into central London as well on the Victoria line.

Lots of good stuff in Clapton as well nowadays.

SB
[Post edited 9 Dec 2021 16:07]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:11 - Dec 9 with 1478 viewsHackneyblueboy

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:06 - Dec 9 by StokieBlue

Walthamstow is nice, there is an excellent micro-brewery scene around there and walks around the wetlands. Well connected into central London as well on the Victoria line.

Lots of good stuff in Clapton as well nowadays.

SB
[Post edited 9 Dec 2021 16:07]

Walthamstow is not cheap these days though. A decent flat there is going to cost in excess of £450k I would imagine and starter houses are 700k+. L

I'd probably look slightly further out towards highams park or Chingford that way but not sure if you'd call it nice. Pretty easy commute into Liverpool Street though and access to green space.

South East London is probably a good place to start as you say. Forest Hill or slightly further out is well connected into London Bridge and on the overground.
Login to get fewer ads

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:17 - Dec 9 with 1449 viewsfooters

Catford is a cultural mecca.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:20 - Dec 9 with 1412 viewsStokieBlue

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:11 - Dec 9 by Hackneyblueboy

Walthamstow is not cheap these days though. A decent flat there is going to cost in excess of £450k I would imagine and starter houses are 700k+. L

I'd probably look slightly further out towards highams park or Chingford that way but not sure if you'd call it nice. Pretty easy commute into Liverpool Street though and access to green space.

South East London is probably a good place to start as you say. Forest Hill or slightly further out is well connected into London Bridge and on the overground.

Agreed it's not cheap, I was more responding to Mook saying his child 1 was looking in that area.

SB

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:25 - Dec 9 with 1384 viewsChurchman

Bromley and Orpington stations are about 20 mins from central London. Lots of good areas to live too..
If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:26 - Dec 9 with 1385 viewshype313

Penge.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 17:01 - Dec 9 with 1302 viewsSuperfrans

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 16:11 - Dec 9 by Hackneyblueboy

Yes, "Awesomestow" is great, but pricey these days.

If anyone is looking for somewhere east-ish, I'd look to Leytonstone or Forest Gate as areas which already on the up. If I was reviewing the crystal ball, I'd suggest Manor Park, Maryland as places which will start rising soon. All of Forest Gate, Manor Park and Maryland are on the Queen Elizabeth/Crossrail line which will transform those areas over the next 10/15 years.

Alternatively, in the next five years there will be decent bargains to be had more centrally, as businesses move out of the centre post-COVID, leaving loads of previously commercial premises empty. How affordable they will be is difficult to know straight away though.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 17:07 - Dec 9 with 1282 viewsStokieBlue

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 17:01 - Dec 9 by Superfrans

If anyone is looking for somewhere east-ish, I'd look to Leytonstone or Forest Gate as areas which already on the up. If I was reviewing the crystal ball, I'd suggest Manor Park, Maryland as places which will start rising soon. All of Forest Gate, Manor Park and Maryland are on the Queen Elizabeth/Crossrail line which will transform those areas over the next 10/15 years.

Alternatively, in the next five years there will be decent bargains to be had more centrally, as businesses move out of the centre post-COVID, leaving loads of previously commercial premises empty. How affordable they will be is difficult to know straight away though.

I'll be convinced of that business migration out of the centre when I see it. There are still lots of companies building large offices in the centre (look at the massive Google place for instance). It certainly could happen, I just wouldn't bank on it 100%.

There will certainly be flexible working but not many businesses are going to go for full WFH - more likely to be 3 and 2 in many cases I would think.

SB

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 17:12 - Dec 9 with 1257 viewsPrideOfTheEast

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 15:58 - Dec 9 by SomethingBlue

The areas just beyond Blackheath — like Lee and Hither Green — still haven't quite gone nuts price-wise while being superbly located, though maybe you're looking further out than that. Looked round a few very nice places round there earlier this year and there's some surprising value to be found, but haven't yet decided whether to do it, I'm very set in my north London ways.

Edit — a friend moved to Beckenham recently and that seems very decent, good stuff going on & a huge drop-off in price, not sure I'd do that yet myself but it may be worth considering.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2021 15:59]

Agree. We live in Hither Green/Lee and even in the 5 or so years since we moved here it's improved significantly. Especially if you have or want a young family - 10 mins to London Bridge, lovely parks, pubs, restaurants, good schools etc.
If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 17:15 - Dec 9 with 1242 viewsDLS

I lived in Bromley/Beckenham/Chislehurst back in 2008 - 2012. Generally really nice places to be. Beckenham Jnc is 20 mins into Victoria. Bromley is less due to the fast train and can also go into Blackfriars. Like any of the Greater London areas it doesn't take going far to find yourself in a less than appealing area so do your research.
If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 17:25 - Dec 9 with 1199 viewsgiant_stow

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 17:01 - Dec 9 by Superfrans

You're right the stow has got pricey, but still relatively cheap compared to near by areas. Blackhorse road is seeing lots of development (and youth) so you might still get something cheapish there.

Tottenham might be worth a go (not tottenham hale), or left field suggestion: Epping. Not sure what the prices are saying there though. Failing that Dolly, I'd consider the various market towns just outside London - if its on a train, those can be quicker into town than far-flung stops on the tube.

Edit: btw, Walthamstow is great for getting out to East Anglia! max 10 mins and I'm on the bottom of the M11, so it's a good move for a horsy fan.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2021 17:37]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 18:26 - Dec 9 with 1089 viewsfactual_blue

Burnley

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 06:42 - Dec 10 with 899 viewssolomon

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 17:07 - Dec 9 by StokieBlue

I'll be convinced of that business migration out of the centre when I see it. There are still lots of companies building large offices in the centre (look at the massive Google place for instance). It certainly could happen, I just wouldn't bank on it 100%.

There will certainly be flexible working but not many businesses are going to go for full WFH - more likely to be 3 and 2 in many cases I would think.

SB

Plus the new apple location in Battersea, lots of redevelopment and refurbishment is starting to kick off again. There’s a great many who miss the office atmosphere and social life that’s connected to it in London, not an awful lot will change.
If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 08:53 - Dec 10 with 794 viewsEastLondonBlue

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 17:25 - Dec 9 by giant_stow

You're right the stow has got pricey, but still relatively cheap compared to near by areas. Blackhorse road is seeing lots of development (and youth) so you might still get something cheapish there.

Tottenham might be worth a go (not tottenham hale), or left field suggestion: Epping. Not sure what the prices are saying there though. Failing that Dolly, I'd consider the various market towns just outside London - if its on a train, those can be quicker into town than far-flung stops on the tube.

Edit: btw, Walthamstow is great for getting out to East Anglia! max 10 mins and I'm on the bottom of the M11, so it's a good move for a horsy fan.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2021 17:37]

Pocket living are just starting a development strictly for
First time buyers in central Walthamstow...
https://www.pocketliving.com/projects/development/32
If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 09:03 - Dec 10 with 770 viewsElephantintheRoom

Somewhere near Manchester? Or the godforsaken bits on the outskirts of Brum where HS2 will have a parkway?

The theory behind 'up and coming' is that its going to become trendy - or will be getting transport links to the capital. Given the commitment to electric cars that will make commuting unviable - rail, which is currently locked somewhere in the victorain era might become viable - albeit at a price.

Waitrose makes a big difference too if you know in advance where they are going to plant their overpriced groceries for the middle classes somewhere unpleasant - Saxmundham for example.

One of my neices who works as an overpaid lawyer in the city recently sold her first home in Ilford bought for £400,000 and sold for considerably more five years later and moved to the outskirts of Edinburgh - still working for the same firm in the City of London.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 09:32 - Dec 10 with 729 viewsMattinLondon

My ex-boss nearly brought a flat in Islington for £90k back in the mid-90s. Her then partner didn’t want to move to London and so they stayed in Brentwood. Years later she was single and looking to move to London and the same flat was worth £700k. I think around fifteen years later but allowing for inflation that’s some increase.
If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 09:45 - Dec 10 with 706 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If you were looking to buy a property now, somewhere on the outskirts of London on 08:53 - Dec 10 by EastLondonBlue

Pocket living are just starting a development strictly for
First time buyers in central Walthamstow...
https://www.pocketliving.com/projects/development/32

"Eligibility criteria: live or work in Waltham Forest and earn under £60,000"

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024