Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen 21:14 - Dec 9 with 1917 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Not talking about us here per se… but do you think owners / CEOs ever get someone to check social media and or sites such as this before making an appointment? Reason I ask, is because if you get the whole fan base behind and supporting a certain manager, then it could help keep the fans on side and maintain some goodwill even if they know the manager is potentially going to have a tricky start to life in the job?

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 21:25 - Dec 9 with 1848 viewsIllinoisblue

I would hope not.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 05:48 - Dec 10 with 1629 viewspennblue

I would say 'almost certainly' they would be aware of what is being discussed.

This is a business, involving millions of pounds of investment. That business has access to public forums, facebook pages, twitter, where they can get direct knowledge on what their customers are saying. I would be shocked if they don't.

I run an internet business, and we keep an eye on the facebook groups that our customers are on to see what is being discussed. Companies will also employ 'ambassadors', who are people that will positively endorse a product on social media, to try and influence.

Having consideration for how well a new manager may be received, surely must be a factor in their decision making process.

Someone yesterday alluded to whether the club will 'leak' potential managers to the press to see what reaction they get. Would be interesting to know if they do that or not, but Phil will know the answer to that one.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 5:55]

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 06:46 - Dec 10 with 1573 viewsfranz_tyson

I prefer they’re competent and knowledgeable enough to make a good decision on their own. If they can’t we’re in big trouble.
If they look to the fans, then they’ll get divided, overly-emotive opinions. Hardly going to make decision-making easier. There isn’t one manager available who is going to be universally popular.

On the other hand, they should be aware that some managers are a bad fit. They made the decision to retain Cook, buy him a new squad and then sack him, so I reckon they should be the ones to continue the decision-making.

Is social media, though, a true representation of fan’s feelings.?Many choose not to use social media and the ones most active and loudest on social media tend to be in the minority and just want attention.
Good luck to the next manager as they’ll have a short honeymoon period - if any – and the new owners have set a precedent regarding targets and time-frame.
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:19 - Dec 10 with 1491 viewsChurchman

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 06:46 - Dec 10 by franz_tyson

I prefer they’re competent and knowledgeable enough to make a good decision on their own. If they can’t we’re in big trouble.
If they look to the fans, then they’ll get divided, overly-emotive opinions. Hardly going to make decision-making easier. There isn’t one manager available who is going to be universally popular.

On the other hand, they should be aware that some managers are a bad fit. They made the decision to retain Cook, buy him a new squad and then sack him, so I reckon they should be the ones to continue the decision-making.

Is social media, though, a true representation of fan’s feelings.?Many choose not to use social media and the ones most active and loudest on social media tend to be in the minority and just want attention.
Good luck to the next manager as they’ll have a short honeymoon period - if any – and the new owners have set a precedent regarding targets and time-frame.

I agree with this. However, I’d be very surprised if media, including social media, wasn’t looked at by somebody. It is how much credence is put on it that’s the key. It’s the age we live in.

I went to a lecture by the project manager of London 2012 some years ago. They had sent up incident teams and rooms for it, including boots on the ground. Extensive preparation. However the reality was they found that anything that needed their attention was coming to them via social media before their people could report it. As the event and the Paralympics that followed progressed, it became a chief source of information for it was believed the first time ever at a major event.

Ok, football clubs and what we are talking about is different, but I believe the same principle applies, as it does to most things now. It’s one source of information amongst many.
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:27 - Dec 10 with 1465 viewsKeaneish

I can guarantee you it is. It’s a big problem and I’ve said as much in a few PMs recently. The groundswell that lead to Cook being sacked gathered at a frightening pace - within a month of beating Wycombe, he was gone.

KOA, TWTD, EADT, Blue Monday all need to come together and have a clear strategy about how they communicate. At the moment it’s really disparate and partly leading to the acrimony with where we’re at today. Opinion is fine but the sway that podcasts, influencers, forums and social media channels have now is enormous. There needs to be better ownership and due diligence.

Football club’s are big business. Scraping and assessing qualitative and quantitative data is as simple as a few software subscriptions, plug-ins or a light-weight algorithm to page scrape sites like this. It’s a service that ad agencies sold to clients as part of content strategies 10-years ago so it’ll definitely have been adopted by football clubs.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:30 - Dec 10 with 1449 viewsElephantintheRoom

Of course not. Their only concern is the bottom line.

Anyway - why should they - fans know nothing whatsoever about football, running a tiny football club in the third division, nor indeed the parasitic load Town now carry in their cabal of American fantasists, the gurning Ashton, O'leary etc before a ball is kicked on the road to recovery,... not to mention how much money is owed to the aging prog rocker in Ohio and what the repayment plans are (presumably rather punishing given the short shrift the Cookster got for his utter incompetence)

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:38 - Dec 10 with 1438 viewsChurchman

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:27 - Dec 10 by Keaneish

I can guarantee you it is. It’s a big problem and I’ve said as much in a few PMs recently. The groundswell that lead to Cook being sacked gathered at a frightening pace - within a month of beating Wycombe, he was gone.

KOA, TWTD, EADT, Blue Monday all need to come together and have a clear strategy about how they communicate. At the moment it’s really disparate and partly leading to the acrimony with where we’re at today. Opinion is fine but the sway that podcasts, influencers, forums and social media channels have now is enormous. There needs to be better ownership and due diligence.

Football club’s are big business. Scraping and assessing qualitative and quantitative data is as simple as a few software subscriptions, plug-ins or a light-weight algorithm to page scrape sites like this. It’s a service that ad agencies sold to clients as part of content strategies 10-years ago so it’ll definitely have been adopted by football clubs.

Spot on. It can be extremely useful too. Having worked on something in the public eye, one example of its usefulness was you could turn it round and use the information out there to anticipate a number of the queries and questions you were likely to get that day. It is actually very interesting.
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:50 - Dec 10 with 1405 viewsElephantintheRoom

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:38 - Dec 10 by Churchman

Spot on. It can be extremely useful too. Having worked on something in the public eye, one example of its usefulness was you could turn it round and use the information out there to anticipate a number of the queries and questions you were likely to get that day. It is actually very interesting.

Sorry - but that's complete twaddle. Lambert was a burnt out ex-Norwich manager who's only recent provenance was utter uselessness - but the fans were happy as Larry when offered a few bus tickets and free drinks.... and applauded all the way to relegation.

I dont recall Cobbold paying too much attention to fans when appointing Alf Ramsey. Nor when he appointed Robson (after three failed attempts to get Billy Bingham)

Owners, real or percieved may rather unwisely listen to fans moaning when results are bad - especially when they have a repayment plan to adhere too - but they would be utterly insane to pay any attention whatsoever to a vocal minority when deciding how to restore the fortunes of a club thats effectvely been in decline this entire century.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:53 - Dec 10 with 1390 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

100% they will take that into consideration. I would not think they will deviate too greatly from their chosen path once they have located the perfect fit, but it will help them arrange a pubic strategy based around any perceived concerns that the paying customers may have.
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:55 - Dec 10 with 1375 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Evans would typically discuss it with somebody like Steve Pearce (media guy) to get a view.
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:01 - Dec 10 with 1342 viewshype313

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:27 - Dec 10 by Keaneish

"KOA, TWTD, EADT, Blue Monday all need to come together and have a clear strategy about how they communicate. At the moment it’s really disparate and partly leading to the acrimony with where we’re at today."

It's not, football is an emotive subject, especially when it's your team, the whole purpose of these platforms is to discuss different arguments about the comings and goings of ITFC.

One mans Champagne is another's mans Cat P1ss.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:04 - Dec 10 with 1334 viewspennblue

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:55 - Dec 10 by PrideOfTheEast

Evans would typically discuss it with somebody like Steve Pearce (media guy) to get a view.

I don't know why they don't just put it to the vote to the season ticket holders.

Recruiting is an absolute lottery anyway, and it's not often 'Ask the Audience' got it wrong on 'who wants to be a millionaire!'.

At least you would have majority backing for the decision.

There is nothing to suggest Mark Ashton, the Chairman and the Board have any better idea of who is going to succeed than we do. Probably far less likely to get it right.

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:06 - Dec 10 with 1327 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:04 - Dec 10 by pennblue

I don't know why they don't just put it to the vote to the season ticket holders.

Recruiting is an absolute lottery anyway, and it's not often 'Ask the Audience' got it wrong on 'who wants to be a millionaire!'.

At least you would have majority backing for the decision.

There is nothing to suggest Mark Ashton, the Chairman and the Board have any better idea of who is going to succeed than we do. Probably far less likely to get it right.

Or have a group of ten fans (not the usual people wheeled out when choosing from the fan base) and have them choose the team selection and formation depending on the match and send the coaches out to coach it into the players.
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:08 - Dec 10 with 1319 viewsChurchman

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:50 - Dec 10 by ElephantintheRoom

Sorry - but that's complete twaddle. Lambert was a burnt out ex-Norwich manager who's only recent provenance was utter uselessness - but the fans were happy as Larry when offered a few bus tickets and free drinks.... and applauded all the way to relegation.

I dont recall Cobbold paying too much attention to fans when appointing Alf Ramsey. Nor when he appointed Robson (after three failed attempts to get Billy Bingham)

Owners, real or percieved may rather unwisely listen to fans moaning when results are bad - especially when they have a repayment plan to adhere too - but they would be utterly insane to pay any attention whatsoever to a vocal minority when deciding how to restore the fortunes of a club thats effectvely been in decline this entire century.

You don’t need to say ‘sorry’ when you are not. It is the same as saying ‘I don’t mean to be rude’ and then proceed to be rude.

Next time, how about ‘I disagree with your point of view’. It says exactly the same thing but in a more pleasant, Friday sort of way.

But then it wouldn’t fit with your daily diatribe of misery, would it?

Why don’t you try and say something positive or even pleasant. Just once, anything. Give it a go.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 9:09]
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:13 - Dec 10 with 1302 viewsFreddies_Ears

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 08:55 - Dec 10 by PrideOfTheEast

And Pearce would in turn discuss with a number of fans, such as OSC, some Forum members...
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:28 - Dec 10 with 1253 viewsPhilTWTD

I know Simon Clegg asked the media department for a list of who would be deeply unacceptable to the support when a vacancy came up at one point.
Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:41 - Dec 10 with 1190 viewspennblue

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:28 - Dec 10 by PhilTWTD

I know Simon Clegg asked the media department for a list of who would be deeply unacceptable to the support when a vacancy came up at one point.

I know you can't comment Phil, but I would love to know your view on the piece Stuart Watson did the day Cook got sacked.

Was that good Journalism? Do we want our local journo's pulling apart quotes from our manager?

I don't know the answer to the first question. I think 'No' is the answer to the second one, regardless of whether it was good journalism or not.

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 10:16 - Dec 10 with 1118 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:41 - Dec 10 by pennblue

I know you can't comment Phil, but I would love to know your view on the piece Stuart Watson did the day Cook got sacked.

Was that good Journalism? Do we want our local journo's pulling apart quotes from our manager?

I don't know the answer to the first question. I think 'No' is the answer to the second one, regardless of whether it was good journalism or not.

Do *you* want his quotes being pulled apart?
Can you ever imagine..... on 10:20 - Dec 10 with 1098 viewsBloots

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 09:28 - Dec 10 by PhilTWTD

....two more different CEOs than Clegg and Ashton?

Actually, maybe Milne and Ashton.

The idea of Ashton taking the thoughts of anyone other than himself into consideration is ridiculous.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 10:26 - Dec 10 with 1064 viewspennblue

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 10:16 - Dec 10 by BlueBlueBluex2

Do *you* want his quotes being pulled apart?

I think if the team and manager are going through a bad patch, that is the last thing they need.

Reckon owners ever take into account fans’ support before making an appointmen on 10:29 - Dec 10 with 1041 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

No doubt in my mind that they do.

Ashton has a big team, at least one of them will be scrolling through social media and seeing the reaction. Whether or not that influences the decision a lot. I’m not sure.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024