Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. 09:20 - Dec 10 with 4619 viewsitfcjoe

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10293823/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Ipswic

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:29 - Dec 10 with 3400 viewsElephantintheRoom

MM's mate does him proud. But you could more or less write the same article about Wolves, Leeds, Leicester, Burnley, Portsmouth, Sheffeild United, Sunderland, Southampton, Norwich, Brighton, Swansea etc etc - and all the other clubs who believe they 'belong in the Prem' and dropped through the divisions.

As Leeds and Sheff U showed size of club and depth of delusion are no help in a quick fix once in division 3 - having a decent team by luck or serendipity seems to be the defining factor - not some guru of a manager.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:29 - Dec 10 with 3418 viewsITFC_Forever

One could apply that to our relegation in 2002 as well in terms of that being a particularly bad season to go down.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:31 - Dec 10 with 3402 viewsfredbarber

Still bringing out the bloody McCarthy thing.

It was the decisions after his departure that were the problem for where we find ourselves in league one not getting rid of him.

He was here 6 years,
Surely his time at Cardiff shows that in space of 6 months. Starts of well but goes stale.

I am convinced some of our fans would given him chambers skuse etc contracts for life.
They had their time, move on
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 9:33]
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:32 - Dec 10 with 3388 viewsclive_baker

Bit of an odd angle IMO, I think any fans who think relegation is a favourable outcome are in the minority. Prevention is generally better than cure.

I wouldn't imagine there are many Newcastle supporters sat there thinking relegation this season would be good for them.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 9:34]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:33 - Dec 10 with 3368 viewspositivity

no sure if i should report a link to a mail article as abuse?

as balance here's a better one!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/29/mick-mccarthy-leave-ipswich-man

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:36 - Dec 10 with 3300 viewsSWGF

Needs retitling: "Mick McCarthy is still available for hire"

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:38 - Dec 10 with 3242 viewsMattinLondon

Hello Martin, it’s me Mick…how are you? Wondering if I could ask a favour? Can you write an article that puts me in the shop window again in time for Christmas? Maybe go down the ‘where are Ipswich now without me? Thanks mate, I’ll owe you one…..you what? Yeah, you can have a pop at Newcastle if you want.
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:38 - Dec 10 with 3232 viewsiamipswich

He speaks a lot of sense but we replaced McCarthy safely in mid-table with some of the season left to play, not like Newcastle in the midst of a relegation battle.

The biggest misconception with the MM debacle from people from outside, is that Ipswich fans seemed to accept a deal where we were guaranteed relegation if we got rid of Mick. We knew there were risks but people not associated to the club seem to think that we had no right to have optimism following a change!
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 9:42]

Poll: Who will return first?

Login to get fewer ads

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:40 - Dec 10 with 3204 viewsElderGrizzly

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:36 - Dec 10 by SWGF

Needs retitling: "Mick McCarthy is still available for hire"

It's not even subtle is it?

There are many inflection points where it went wrong for us, but it isn't all on McCarthy leaving.
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:40 - Dec 10 with 3196 viewsNazemariner

My mate Mick.........blah, blah, blah!

Usual tosh written by yet another bang average journalist.

Daily Mail? I thought you were better than that Joe?
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:44 - Dec 10 with 3131 viewsMattinLondon

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:40 - Dec 10 by Nazemariner

To be fair, in its simplest form the article reads ‘relegation is bad’. You don’t need to be a football expert to figure that one out. And some on here did use the regroup brand of logic when we were relegated to L1. But it also reads as a covering letter for MM.
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:45 - Dec 10 with 3118 viewsitfcjoe

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:44 - Dec 10 by MattinLondon

To be fair, in its simplest form the article reads ‘relegation is bad’. You don’t need to be a football expert to figure that one out. And some on here did use the regroup brand of logic when we were relegated to L1. But it also reads as a covering letter for MM.

I think it is the fans are bored and some happy to pretend that anything that happens post an unpopular manager leaving is all good when clearly it was never going to be good to go down.

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:46 - Dec 10 with 3099 viewsfredbarber

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:40 - Dec 10 by Nazemariner

Is it though,

That’s why don’t bother listen to the blue Monday podcast,
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:47 - Dec 10 with 3064 viewschicoazul

There are some who think relegation offers a chance for a club to regroup

Aren’t there just. Eh TWTD?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:50 - Dec 10 with 3038 viewsmonty_radio

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:32 - Dec 10 by clive_baker

Bit of an odd angle IMO, I think any fans who think relegation is a favourable outcome are in the minority. Prevention is generally better than cure.

I wouldn't imagine there are many Newcastle supporters sat there thinking relegation this season would be good for them.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 9:34]

Not sure who this "Ipswich" is that wanted relegation. And before people start instancing "numbskulls", I note that the "as balance" Guardian article on this thread has Mick saying: “I guess both of us are happy the decision’s been made, and both of us are a bit disappointed as well that it’s come to this”.

Those who still love him will doubtless find grist in the final word of that quote, but hard to imagine just who, of any consequence, thought relegation a good idea without the possibility at that time of the sort of investment we are now getting.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:50 - Dec 10 with 3025 viewsMattinLondon

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:45 - Dec 10 by itfcjoe

I think it is the fans are bored and some happy to pretend that anything that happens post an unpopular manager leaving is all good when clearly it was never going to be good to go down.

Agree, relegation is always awful.
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:50 - Dec 10 with 3023 viewsWickets

TBH it's nothing new is it ?
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:51 - Dec 10 with 3015 viewsMattinLondon

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:47 - Dec 10 by chicoazul

No.
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:54 - Dec 10 with 2986 viewsGuthrum

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:47 - Dec 10 by chicoazul

To be fair, there were only a handful on here who were actually advocating it. With the majority pointing out what a silly idea it was.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:55 - Dec 10 with 2980 viewsBseaBlue

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:45 - Dec 10 by itfcjoe

Absolutely! But Mick needed to go though and the main issue was that Marcus allowed Hurst to come in and completely upset the apple cart rather than build on the foundations that Mick had left.

Evans was the reason this club got relegated. Mick just masked over the cracks at the club.
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:56 - Dec 10 with 2963 viewsitfcjoe

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:55 - Dec 10 by BseaBlue

Absolutely! But Mick needed to go though and the main issue was that Marcus allowed Hurst to come in and completely upset the apple cart rather than build on the foundations that Mick had left.

Evans was the reason this club got relegated. Mick just masked over the cracks at the club.

No doubt - we had a vacancy on Easter Sunday and our new manager wasn’t in place for the first week of pre season, you couldn’t make it up really

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:57 - Dec 10 with 2953 viewsMattinLondon

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:55 - Dec 10 by BseaBlue

Hurst knew what was wrong with the club but was far far too clumsy.
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:59 - Dec 10 with 2917 viewsitfcjoe

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:57 - Dec 10 by MattinLondon

Hurst knew what was wrong with the club but was far far too clumsy.

If Hurst knew what was wrong he wouldn’t have sold quality and replace them with dross. He got it wildly wrong

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 10:06 - Dec 10 with 2799 viewsMattinLondon

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:59 - Dec 10 by itfcjoe

If Hurst knew what was wrong he wouldn’t have sold quality and replace them with dross. He got it wildly wrong

I thought that Waghorn wanted to leave? Am I not remembering incorrectly?

Off the field didn’t he persuade Evans to rebuild the gym and bring in more sports science stuff?

I’m not for one second stating that Hurst was anything but a disaster but the club.
Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 10:09 - Dec 10 with 2760 viewschicoazul

Good article by Martin Samuel here…. on 09:51 - Dec 10 by MattinLondon

No.

You must be new here.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024