Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Ashton 11:09 - Dec 10 with 1416 viewsDyland

How many of the (generally very good) signings were his rather than Cook's? We have a silly squad, let's be honest. Or did Cook lose the plot a little?

Firing Cook with no (discernible?) backup plan seems crazy. A few grumps from the stands but he'd hardly lost the crowd and dressing room. Big question marks over Ashton imo.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Mark Ashton on 11:11 - Dec 10 with 1062 viewsSomethingBlue

I think in several cases there will have been "I can get [player X], what do you reckon?" from Ashton.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Mark Ashton on 11:15 - Dec 10 with 1027 viewsDyland

Mark Ashton on 11:11 - Dec 10 by SomethingBlue

I think in several cases there will have been "I can get [player X], what do you reckon?" from Ashton.

He's a loose cannon, over excitable. Not in itself an undesirable trait in his role as long there's a calming influence. Do we think he made the ultimate decision to sack Cook? We have McGreal now as manager, albeit interim. Crazy, non? Unless Ashton is about to blindside us with a left field appointment. I'm very skeptical, which goes with the territory round here I guess. What a club!

Mark Ashton on 11:22 - Dec 10 with 988 viewsGuthrum

I'd be very surprised if Cook did not initiate, or at least have the final decision over, every single player we signed in the summer. I doubt he'd have stayed otherwise.

For one thing, he'd decided on a major squad overhaul - thus would have been identifying targets - weeks before Ashton joined the club (while he was still working at Bristol).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mark Ashton on 11:26 - Dec 10 with 943 viewshype313

Mark Ashton on 11:22 - Dec 10 by Guthrum

I'd be very surprised if Cook did not initiate, or at least have the final decision over, every single player we signed in the summer. I doubt he'd have stayed otherwise.

For one thing, he'd decided on a major squad overhaul - thus would have been identifying targets - weeks before Ashton joined the club (while he was still working at Bristol).

Do you not think that Ashton was pivitol in getting Harper and Edwards? Seems like a huge co incidence that no sooner had Jacobs been in for talks someone clearly messaged Ashton from Albion.

Sounds all a bit conspiracy, but also plausible.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mark Ashton on 11:27 - Dec 10 with 939 viewsDyland

Mark Ashton on 11:22 - Dec 10 by Guthrum

It's really unbalanced. Also shows the plan is literally just swap good players for good players with no tactical change. Intractable and so old school. I would have kept him in place until knowing who else (better) we could get though. Maybe there was a falling out as well...

Mark Ashton on 11:28 - Dec 10 with 932 viewssuffolkpoker

Sometimes the best plan B takes time. I would rather have an intrim this season and get the best possible manager for next season.
Than another manager who wont sort this mess out.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Mark Ashton on 11:29 - Dec 10 with 916 viewsDyland

Mark Ashton on 11:28 - Dec 10 by suffolkpoker

Sometimes the best plan B takes time. I would rather have an intrim this season and get the best possible manager for next season.

Should have just given Cook the season then.

Mark Ashton on 11:31 - Dec 10 with 895 viewsGuthrum

Mark Ashton on 11:15 - Dec 10 by Dyland

He's a loose cannon, over excitable. Not in itself an undesirable trait in his role as long there's a calming influence. Do we think he made the ultimate decision to sack Cook? We have McGreal now as manager, albeit interim. Crazy, non? Unless Ashton is about to blindside us with a left field appointment. I'm very skeptical, which goes with the territory round here I guess. What a club!

There's a lot of assumptions being made about Ashton's business methods based on a bit of enthusiasm at games and the poor opinion of some Bristol fans (largely, it seems, down to a mangerial signing they weren't happy with).

He does have a fair amount of experience and I can't see he would have been repeatedly hired for senior roles if he were some kind of giddy fool who gets carried away with excitement and/or egotism into damaging excesses.

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Ashton on 11:32 - Dec 10 with 881 viewsDyland

Mark Ashton on 11:31 - Dec 10 by Guthrum

There's a lot of assumptions being made about Ashton's business methods based on a bit of enthusiasm at games and the poor opinion of some Bristol fans (largely, it seems, down to a mangerial signing they weren't happy with).

He does have a fair amount of experience and I can't see he would have been repeatedly hired for senior roles if he were some kind of giddy fool who gets carried away with excitement and/or egotism into damaging excesses.

Let's hope so.

But I think he's a bell, so ner.

Mark Ashton on 11:32 - Dec 10 with 885 viewsreusersfreekicks

Maybe worth pointing out that we had hardly any players left so had to get bodies through the door hence being a bit less discerning?
Mark Ashton on 11:34 - Dec 10 with 865 viewssuffolkpoker

Mark Ashton on 11:28 - Dec 10 by suffolkpoker

Look at me!!!
This was my 3000th TWTD post!

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Mark Ashton on 11:35 - Dec 10 with 864 viewsDyland

Mark Ashton on 11:32 - Dec 10 by reusersfreekicks

Maybe worth pointing out that we had hardly any players left so had to get bodies through the door hence being a bit less discerning?

Don't get me wrong, the calibre of player is pretty bloody good. It's things like having 3 (4 even) high quality number 10s and only one Morsy e.g. All a bit thick really. And I get that Cook is ultimately responsible, just feel a little skeptical about the firing and Ashton generally. We'll see I guess.

Mark Ashton on 11:35 - Dec 10 with 855 viewsGuthrum

Mark Ashton on 11:26 - Dec 10 by hype313

Do you not think that Ashton was pivitol in getting Harper and Edwards? Seems like a huge co incidence that no sooner had Jacobs been in for talks someone clearly messaged Ashton from Albion.

Sounds all a bit conspiracy, but also plausible.

He might have been pivotal in getting them, but that doesn't mean Cook was not also keen, at least enough to give the go-ahead. If he really hadn't wanted them and Ashton went ahead and hired anyway, Cook would resign (no manager wants players foisted on them) or Ashton be sacked for gross misconduct.

Mark Ashton on 11:37 - Dec 10 with 845 viewsGuthrum

Mark Ashton on 11:32 - Dec 10 by Dyland

Let's hope so.

But I think he's a bell, so ner.

Possibly so, but he's our bell ...

Mark Ashton on 11:40 - Dec 10 with 812 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Mark Ashton on 11:37 - Dec 10 by Guthrum

Possibly so, but he's our bell ...

The kind of bell is important here. Is it a 'Ding-Dong' or a 'Ding-a-Ling'

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Mark Ashton on 11:42 - Dec 10 with 808 viewsGuthrum

Mark Ashton on 11:27 - Dec 10 by Dyland

It's really unbalanced. Also shows the plan is literally just swap good players for good players with no tactical change. Intractable and so old school. I would have kept him in place until knowing who else (better) we could get though. Maybe there was a falling out as well...

Perhaps Cook was overtaken by "kid in a sweetshop syndrome" and lost his own sense of squad balance?

I also wonder if there was some sort of row leading to the abrupt timing of Cook's departure.

Tho, as I've said before, if we were going for a manager currently in a job, we couldn't easily make a formal approach without the risk of it going public. Which would be bad with Cook still in the job.

Mark Ashton on 11:42 - Dec 10 with 804 viewshomer_123

Mark Ashton on 11:27 - Dec 10 by Dyland

I don't agree that we are 'really unbalanced'. We do have an issue at LB due to Coulsens injury sadly.

We have Bonne, Piggot, Norwood and Jackson as strikers.

Perm your midfield from Chaplin, Celina, Fraser, Burns, Harper, Morsy, Edwards, Evans, Carrol and Aluko (you can then drop the likes of El Miz in there as well).

Edmundson, Nsiala, Donacien, KVY, Burgess, Penney, Coulson and Wolfy

Walton and Hldaky between the sticks

It's not unbalanced really. I think you might question the signing of Louie Barry for example and possibly Aluko when he first joined as odd (though Aluko has been decent) given we then signed Celina at al. But I think that's the worst you can lay at Ashton.

Edit: I take your point re. Morsy - that's a fair observation Dyllers.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 11:48]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Mark Ashton on 11:44 - Dec 10 with 795 viewshomer_123

Mark Ashton on 11:42 - Dec 10 by Guthrum

Perhaps Cook was overtaken by "kid in a sweetshop syndrome" and lost his own sense of squad balance?

I also wonder if there was some sort of row leading to the abrupt timing of Cook's departure.

Tho, as I've said before, if we were going for a manager currently in a job, we couldn't easily make a formal approach without the risk of it going public. Which would be bad with Cook still in the job.

I think it is slightly more simpler than this. The reality was that we were going backwards both in terms of performance and acquiring points - which is, typically, enough for a manager to lose their job.

Mark Ashton on 11:46 - Dec 10 with 784 viewshomer_123

Mark Ashton on 11:40 - Dec 10 by Cheltenham_Blue

Or très moderne and a Ring Video bell?

Mark Ashton on 11:48 - Dec 10 with 774 viewsDyland

Mark Ashton on 11:42 - Dec 10 by homer_123

I don't agree that we are 'really unbalanced'. We do have an issue at LB due to Coulsens injury sadly.

Perm your midfield from Chaplin, Celina, Fraser, Burns, Harper, Morsy, Edwards, Evans, Carrol and Aluko (you can then drop the likes of El Miz in there as well).

It's not unbalanced really. I think you might question the signing of Louie Barry for example and possibly Aluko when he first joined as odd (though Aluko has been decent) given we then signed Celina at al. But I think that's the worst you can lay at Ashton.

Fair points. Though Morsy is the only high quality genuine midfield general.

I'm kind of stream of consciousness here, going on to the signings from my main gripe and questioning of Ashton re sacking Cook at this juncture with no one waiting in the wings.

Mark Ashton on 11:49 - Dec 10 with 768 viewsDyland

Mark Ashton on 11:40 - Dec 10 by Cheltenham_Blue

Deffo more klaxon

Mark Ashton on 11:49 - Dec 10 with 769 viewshomer_123

Mark Ashton on 11:48 - Dec 10 by Dyland

Fair points. Though Morsy is the only high quality genuine midfield general.

I'm kind of stream of consciousness here, going on to the signings from my main gripe and questioning of Ashton re sacking Cook at this juncture with no one waiting in the wings.

Just edited my post re. Morsy - saw that from your other reply.

Mark Ashton on 11:52 - Dec 10 with 752 viewsfooters

Mark Ashton on 11:42 - Dec 10 by homer_123

I'm sure there were a few that we were going for that we thought may have been too ambitious with so were hedging our bets with others, which is how we've ended up with the squad we have. It's a nice problem for a new manager to have but you have to feel a bit for players like Barry who've been left out in the cold.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Mark Ashton on 11:52 - Dec 10 with 753 viewsDyland

Mark Ashton on 11:44 - Dec 10 by homer_123

I think it is slightly more simpler than this. The reality was that we were going backwards both in terms of performance and acquiring points - which is, typically, enough for a manager to lose their job.

Aye, and I'm not really questioning the firing in itself. Cook is pretty old school and I've been clear elsewhere on the board he just didn't ever change things tactically. It's the fact we now have McGreal, who is not as good a manager as Cook. And I love McGreal!

The timing is a bit meh imo. Let's see when/who/how we appoint the next manager...

Mark Ashton on 11:56 - Dec 10 with 730 viewshomer_123

Mark Ashton on 11:52 - Dec 10 by Dyland

Aye, and I'm not really questioning the firing in itself. Cook is pretty old school and I've been clear elsewhere on the board he just didn't ever change things tactically. It's the fact we now have McGreal, who is not as good a manager as Cook. And I love McGreal!

The timing is a bit meh imo. Let's see when/who/how we appoint the next manager...

As I posted early early doors, we do not want McGreal anywhere near the role of manager full-time.

Loved him as a player...really did but as a manager....nope.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024