Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does McGreal try something a little different today? 09:12 - Dec 11 with 3053 viewsitfcjoe

He didn’t have time to go with anything on Tuesday and out of a respect for Cook can see why he went with what he did - but do we see something a little bit more out there out there today?

2 up front maybe with Pigott in behind Bonne? El Mizouni to start? Woolfie in for Toto? 3 at the back?

I’m not expecting much, but wouldn’t be at all surprised to see something a bit different

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:20 - Dec 11 with 1744 viewsbilllm

Whether you like him or not he upsets defenders bit of rough and tumble I'd like to see Norwood start,
Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:25 - Dec 11 with 1713 viewsSteve_M

If one up front then I would definitely rest Bonne, he’s beef getting incredibly frustrated over the last few matches.

El Miz for Evans, think I would challenge Morsy to step up again.

Still not sure he’s had enough time to do something radically different, two days spent defending as a team would help though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:29 - Dec 11 with 1689 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surely he has to.

4--2-3-1 hasn't worked for 9 months.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:30 - Dec 11 with 1665 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:25 - Dec 11 by Steve_M

If one up front then I would definitely rest Bonne, he’s beef getting incredibly frustrated over the last few matches.

El Miz for Evans, think I would challenge Morsy to step up again.

Still not sure he’s had enough time to do something radically different, two days spent defending as a team would help though.

Shows how bad the coaching has been if we can't adjust to a tweak in formation.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:30 - Dec 11 with 1666 viewspennblue

Penney left back, great left pet, can deliver a cross accurately, and we look far more dangerous when he is playing.

We will concede goals whoever plays in defence right now.

+1 for Norwood
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 9:31]

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:33 - Dec 11 with 1640 viewsjayessess

There's the judicious changes of personnel options:
El Miz or Carroll in centre midfield, Woolfenden or Burgess in for Nsiala, Penney at left back, Pigott as number 10, Chaplin back in for any of the forwards.

Then there's the nuclear option: 3 at the back. I'd be tempted if I were him. Yes, there's the whole "drill time" to get used to new formations, but it's not as if we're "well-drilled" in 4-2-3-1. If we're going to play like strangers with all the structural integrity of strawberry blancmange, might just be better to get another centre back on the pitch!
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 9:50]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:37 - Dec 11 with 1620 viewsBiGDonnie

I'll be disappointed if we line up with the same formation again today. JM has to try something different.

El Miz to start today with three at the back, no idea who's fit for the wing back roles. Ideally it'd be Burns and Coulson but I'd go...

Walton
Woolf Toto Edm
KVY Penny
El Miz Morsy Harper
Bonne Norwood

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:43 - Dec 11 with 1574 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If we line up the same I'm not going to bother watching. I'm not paying to watch a repeat of Tuesday.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:46 - Dec 11 with 1541 viewsGuthrum

I think he has to, after the Charlton game. Also to stamp a bit of his own authority on the team, unless he's happy to be remembered as a less effective Cook clone and possibly blow his chances of a good job in the future. Better to go out in a blaze of innovation than limply shut up shop.

What exactly - who knows? Rather depends upon what he's seen in the team and who among the players has put themselves forward to make a difference. Given the squad, I think we'll still see considerable front-loading to try getting goals. Options in defence are more limited, but we could put together three CBs with Morsy sitting in front to shore things up and free the wide-men (KVY and Donacien?) to get forward more. Sort of 3-3-3-1 in defence and 3-1-5-1 in attack.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:59 - Dec 11 with 1466 viewsNthQldITFC

Definitely seems to be a bit of a consensus building on here for 3 at the back. I'm all for it, primarily because I think it will allow us to keep possession higher up the pitch, with three CBs (fairly) comfortable on the ball.

3-5-2~~~
Walton
Donacien - Edmundson - Woolfy
KVY - Fraser - Morsy - El Miz - Penney
Bonne - Celina

I'd also plan to swap both strikers after about 60 mins (> Pigott - Chaplin) so they can play a really high tempo pressuring game, as pairs, on the opposition defence.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 10:00]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:01 - Dec 11 with 1431 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:59 - Dec 11 by NthQldITFC

Definitely seems to be a bit of a consensus building on here for 3 at the back. I'm all for it, primarily because I think it will allow us to keep possession higher up the pitch, with three CBs (fairly) comfortable on the ball.

3-5-2~~~
Walton
Bonne - Celina

I'd also plan to swap both strikers after about 60 mins (> Pigott - Chaplin) so they can play a really high tempo pressuring game, as pairs, on the opposition defence.

I like the look of that!

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:02 - Dec 11 with 1430 viewsGuthrum

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 09:59 - Dec 11 by NthQldITFC

3-5-2~~~
Walton
Bonne - Celina

Unfortunately, I think Burns is still unavailable, from what was said on Thurdsay.

McGreal: Burns and Coulson Still a Little While Off Returns 9th Dec 2021 13:43
Town interim boss John McGreal says forward Wes Burns and left-back Hayden Coulson are still a little way off a return to the team having been out with injuries. 10

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:02 - Dec 11 with 1428 viewsChurchman

He could try praying. A bit of divine inspiration is required for this one.
Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:02 - Dec 11 with 1428 viewsoldbeardy

Has to make changes - for a start, surely Morsy and Evans both get dropped. Both played as if they were sulking at Charlton. What message does it send if they retain their places? Bring in El Miz and Harper. Plus if Pigott doesn't get his chance now given Bonne's lack of form, he'll surely be wondering whether he'll ever get on the pitch for a run of games. And play Chaplin who at least looked like he was trying at the Valley.
Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:04 - Dec 11 with 1417 viewsNthQldITFC

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:02 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Unfortunately, I think Burns is still unavailable, from what was said on Thurdsay.

McGreal: Burns and Coulson Still a Little While Off Returns 9th Dec 2021 13:43
Town interim boss John McGreal says forward Wes Burns and left-back Hayden Coulson are still a little way off a return to the team having been out with injuries. 10

Thanks, yes, swapped KVY back to right wingback, and brought Penney in.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:06 - Dec 11 with 1403 viewsketton_itfc

442, direct, get in their faces don’t give them an inch to play.

Walton
JD Toto Fridge KVY
Aluko Morsy El Miz Humphreys
Norwood Pigott

Bonne to come on later in game.
Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:06 - Dec 11 with 1398 viewschicoazul

Whatever he does, whoever he selects, we are going to get totally whipped. By 3 goals at least.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:08 - Dec 11 with 1394 viewsGuthrum

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:02 - Dec 11 by oldbeardy

Has to make changes - for a start, surely Morsy and Evans both get dropped. Both played as if they were sulking at Charlton. What message does it send if they retain their places? Bring in El Miz and Harper. Plus if Pigott doesn't get his chance now given Bonne's lack of form, he'll surely be wondering whether he'll ever get on the pitch for a run of games. And play Chaplin who at least looked like he was trying at the Valley.

Problem is, if we drop Morsy, who plays his role (the traditional Skuse one) of breaking up attacks and shielding the back line? Don't think that suits either El Mizouni or Harper.

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:10 - Dec 11 with 1379 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:06 - Dec 11 by chicoazul

Whatever he does, whoever he selects, we are going to get totally whipped. By 3 goals at least.

That's the spirit!

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:11 - Dec 11 with 1378 viewsMullet

Hopefully he does and it’s win innit

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:12 - Dec 11 with 1372 viewsDavoIPB

I don't know why all this speculation on formations. McGreal plays 4231 always has done. Do expect changes in personnel though.
Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:16 - Dec 11 with 1353 viewsRomeo4

Tuesday was so bad it wouldn’t surprise me at all if John Mc just got straight onto the training ground and started to rip it up and start again. Reckon 3-5-2 might be worth a go.

Certainly Norwood’s apparent inclusion would suggest that he’s looking for bench cover for the 2 strikers already on the pitch.

I’m all in favour. We were so bad the other night. Maybe a fresh approach will help to inspire our players.

COYB
Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:19 - Dec 11 with 1319 viewsGuthrum

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:12 - Dec 11 by DavoIPB

I don't know why all this speculation on formations. McGreal plays 4231 always has done. Do expect changes in personnel though.

In which case he'll have to be bl00dy good at motivation and get the team playing at their absolute sharpest. Otherwise, like people complained about Cook, he will have sacrificed his reputation on the altar of a fixed formation.

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:21 - Dec 11 with 1305 viewsoldbeardy

Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:08 - Dec 11 by Guthrum

Problem is, if we drop Morsy, who plays his role (the traditional Skuse one) of breaking up attacks and shielding the back line? Don't think that suits either El Mizouni or Harper.

Entirely fair point - though since Morsy didn't fulfill his role at all the other night I'd happily take the risk on the basis he'll do similar at Wigan if he plays. I think we've got a shot to nothing today and might as well use the opportunity. I do accept though that if we do that, make lots of changes and lose, inevitably with hindsight we'll all be saying it was the wrong thing to do - glad I'm not in the managerial hotseat!
Does McGreal try something a little different today? on 10:22 - Dec 11 with 1298 viewsgordon

Chaplin and Pigott up front for me, Wolfie and Burgess in a three at the back, wing-backs, El Miz in in the middle with Fraser and Morey.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024