Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please 20:13 - Dec 12 with 3768 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I received the following text earlier:

PostOffice: Sorry we missed you today at 14:26 PM on 12/12. Please schedule a re-delivery for your parcel via: [link removed].

Despite not having ordered anything, it looked completely legit and I put in my card details, DOB, and name to pay a 're-delivery' fee. I'm not sure what I was thinking; perhaps that someone had sent me something, and that my phone number was in the delivery info somewhere.

I've since Googled this and have seen that it is indeed a scam.

I've transferred all the funds that were in this account into another account, so there's £0 in there if anyone gains access.

Is this enough to ensure I am 'safe' or is there anything else I can/should do?

I've tried calling the Halifax for their advice but they said I'll be waiting an hour or more (hence why I am posting about about on here in the meantime).

I feel very dumb, or like a 90-year old who fell for it a good'un.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 20:55]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:21 - Dec 12 with 2769 viewsmo_itfc

The scammers will now try and call you, pretending to be your bank.
Do not discuss any finance matters over the phone, unless you have dialled the number and you're certain its correct.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:21 - Dec 12 with 2746 viewsLeoMuff

Cancel the card or block it with online banking ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:22 - Dec 12 with 2756 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:24 - Dec 12 with 2702 viewsjeera

You've tried calling Halifax? Surely there's a fraud hotline rather than waiting your turn on a regular number?

You would expect them to then freeze everything from your initial phone call surely.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:24 - Dec 12 with 2694 viewsLankHenners

I'd cancel/block that card as well if I were you so you get a new one with different details.

Might want to edit the OP so that link isn't clickable so someone doesn't click it by accident and end up doing the same thing.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:25 - Dec 12 with 2686 viewsLeoMuff

Pm me your card details and I will keep them safe for you. Pinky promise.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:25 - Dec 12 with 2686 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:22 - Dec 12 by SitfcB

I'm so distracted and pre-occupied with other things at the moment that this didn't even occur to me!

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:26 - Dec 12 with 2656 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:21 - Dec 12 by LeoMuff

Cancel the card or block it with online banking ?

Thanks. I've frozen it in the app for online and remote payments.

Login to get fewer ads

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:26 - Dec 12 with 2641 viewsjeera

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:21 - Dec 12 by mo_itfc

The scammers will now try and call you, pretending to be your bank.
Do not discuss any finance matters over the phone, unless you have dialled the number and you're certain its correct.

Then use a different phone to call back etc.

In case the line is still open.

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:26 - Dec 12 with 2641 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:24 - Dec 12 by LankHenners

I'd cancel/block that card as well if I were you so you get a new one with different details.

Might want to edit the OP so that link isn't clickable so someone doesn't click it by accident and end up doing the same thing.

They'd need to be even dimmer than me to do that.

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:27 - Dec 12 with 2636 viewsbazza

If you give me your bank details to the account you transferred the money into , I will transfer it to a secure account where no one will ever get to it. PM me your details .
Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:27 - Dec 12 with 2611 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:24 - Dec 12 by jeera

You've tried calling Halifax? Surely there's a fraud hotline rather than waiting your turn on a regular number?

You would expect them to then freeze everything from your initial phone call surely.

This is the Fraud number that I am ringing.

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:28 - Dec 12 with 2591 viewsjeera

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:27 - Dec 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

This is the Fraud number that I am ringing.

An hour wait on that. Good grief.

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:29 - Dec 12 with 2571 viewsLankHenners

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:26 - Dec 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

They'd need to be even dimmer than me to do that.

You should probably still do it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:31 - Dec 12 with 2552 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:24 - Dec 12 by jeera

Or a chat option on their website.

Is the other account a Halifax account? If so depending on what details they have/you've given them you may still be vulnerable.

I'd speak to the bank ASAP to inform them because if you don't and something does happen they will make a fuss about any possible reimbursement.

Moving the money out is a good start but I'd try to find the fraud or lost/stolen cards line and an online chat option and if there I'd none then I'd think the hold time is worth it for piece of mind

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:40 - Dec 12 with 2460 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:31 - Dec 12 by BlueandTruesince82

Is the other account a Halifax account? If so depending on what details they have/you've given them you may still be vulnerable.

I'd speak to the bank ASAP to inform them because if you don't and something does happen they will make a fuss about any possible reimbursement.

Moving the money out is a good start but I'd try to find the fraud or lost/stolen cards line and an online chat option and if there I'd none then I'd think the hold time is worth it for piece of mind

They've no online chat option.

The other account is with another bank, so I don't think that would make me vulnerable, but I've put a freeze on that one too just to be extra safe.

Hopefully I'm all protected now.

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:42 - Dec 12 with 2444 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Only two 'joke' replies - I was expecting more!

To anyone who's read this thread - please learn from my error and don't fall foul to the same thing.

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:43 - Dec 12 with 2421 viewsbazza

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:42 - Dec 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

To anyone who's read this thread - please learn from my error and don't fall foul to the same thing.

I wasn’t joking.
Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:44 - Dec 12 with 2405 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:43 - Dec 12 by bazza

I wasn’t joking.

Sorry Bazza, you have to get up pretty early to trick me.

Well, after about 8pm apparently.

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:57 - Dec 12 with 2292 viewsbazza

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:44 - Dec 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Sorry Bazza, you have to get up pretty early to trick me.

Well, after about 8pm apparently.

I get scammed at least once a week, does it count when it’s the wife?
Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:57 - Dec 12 with 2292 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:29 - Dec 12 by LankHenners

You should probably still do it.

Done.

Thank you to everyone who has responded.

What a Wally.

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:58 - Dec 12 with 2285 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:31 - Dec 12 by BlueandTruesince82

I don't get how these things work once reported. The bank must know exactly which account the fraud has been conducted through. Once they are informed that the money was fraudulently obtained how come the details do not go to the police who have all they need to trace and arrest the fraudsters? I guess it must be a bit more complicated than this but it smacks of the bank being complicit in the fraud.

Additionally, if there is any CCTV footage of the fraudster delivering the card, that must be evidence too. EDIT: Obviously not in this case where it was by text and not a card.

I received an attempted fraud text asking me to complete my details on the NHS Covid app which I knew was wrong and had the added anomaly of being a .gov.com site.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 20:59]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 21:06 - Dec 12 with 2211 viewsitfcjoe

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:28 - Dec 12 by jeera

An hour wait on that. Good grief.

Same at MBNA when I noticed someone had made a payment of my card the other day - 20 mins to get through to first line and then 40 minutes to fraud to try and stop a £180 payment to some Custom Sized Beds shop

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 21:09 - Dec 12 with 2199 viewsitfcjoe

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 20:42 - Dec 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

THis one happened to a friends Mum, she would have lost £17k on it but the receiving bank flagged it up as fraud and put the payment effectively on hold. Very, very lucky as had sent the money.

I *think* that is the scam on this one - someone will phone you and tell you you're at risk and need to transfer it etc and when you do that it is gone and it is your fault - you've just highlighted yourself as potentially gullible/vulnerable but now aware don't think they can do much more - good luck though

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 21:10 - Dec 12 with 2172 viewsjeera

Just got tricked by a scam text - Urgent advice please on 21:06 - Dec 12 by itfcjoe

Same at MBNA when I noticed someone had made a payment of my card the other day - 20 mins to get through to first line and then 40 minutes to fraud to try and stop a £180 payment to some Custom Sized Beds shop

Seriously?

What's the point of having a 'hotline' number?

Banks' services have been dragging their heels worse than ever since Covid gave them an excuse it seems.

Trust you got it sorted in the end?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024