Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal 10:01 - Dec 13 with 3017 viewsurbanblue

Until the end of the season.

Let's face it getting promotion is a bit of a long shot even with a new appointment coming in. McGreal has been working with the players for a good few days now and they certainly responded on Saturday. If a new man comes in it'll be a new start again and for sure wouldn't take charge until after Saturday. The players may well be getting used to McGreal and settling down now.

McGreal did alright under difficult conditions at Colchester. He comes across well in interviews and he might be a gem working with a more talented squad. People like Lowe and Manning all started from scratch and are proving talented so why not McGreal?

I say let's give him a go. We can take our time finding the new man for next season if it doesn't work out.
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:06 - Dec 13 with 1936 viewsFixed_It

I would rather go with that as an interim plan rather than make a poor appointment because the people we want aren't available right now.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:06 - Dec 13 with 1945 viewsSomethingBlue

McGreal is a nice bloke, well liked around the club, was great here as a player and is certainly a competent coach — but he's not the man for our long term and I think keeping him on because promotion is unlikely would ensure a fairly agonising next few months. Might still be the case whoever we appoint but the owners will want to go for it and show ambition.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:07 - Dec 13 with 1918 viewsWacko

The problem or challenge is not falling for the 'false dawn' type of manager like Solskjaer - good in short term but clearly out of his depth in the long run

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:11 - Dec 13 with 1877 viewsurbanblue

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:06 - Dec 13 by SomethingBlue

McGreal is a nice bloke, well liked around the club, was great here as a player and is certainly a competent coach — but he's not the man for our long term and I think keeping him on because promotion is unlikely would ensure a fairly agonising next few months. Might still be the case whoever we appoint but the owners will want to go for it and show ambition.

Why couldn't he be the man for the long term?

Some of the young coaches we are being linked with, including the two I mentioned, were unheard of last season but they are being considered for the 'long term'

Why can't we possibly find our own great prospect?
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:13 - Dec 13 with 1857 viewsurbanblue

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:07 - Dec 13 by Wacko

The problem or challenge is not falling for the 'false dawn' type of manager like Solskjaer - good in short term but clearly out of his depth in the long run

You could say that about any appointment.

I feel quite confident McGreal wouldn't be out of his depth in League 1.
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:14 - Dec 13 with 1851 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Am not against this at all.

If we cant find the ideal candidate mid season, we should appoint McGreal until the end of the season and secure the best candidate in the summer.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:15 - Dec 13 with 1840 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:07 - Dec 13 by Wacko

Ah, I know what you mean...

.....like Hurst, Lambert and Cook...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:17 - Dec 13 with 1820 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:06 - Dec 13 by SomethingBlue

...the OP didnt suggest keeping him long term.

Login to get fewer ads

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:17 - Dec 13 with 1825 viewsSomethingBlue

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:11 - Dec 13 by urbanblue

Why couldn't he be the man for the long term?

Some of the young coaches we are being linked with, including the two I mentioned, were unheard of last season but they are being considered for the 'long term'

Why can't we possibly find our own great prospect?

McGreal is 50 next year, which is by no means to say he's definitely reached his ceiling but his track record for what we are aspiring towards is reasonably thin. I like him as a caretaker, it's great to have him in the building at the moment, and maybe he'll get a few more games and spark a run of wins and make a compelling case to be kept on. Excellent if so, but we need to be trying to find a viable solution elsewhere.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2021 10:19]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:22 - Dec 13 with 1713 viewsclive_baker

I think it's a stretch to say it's a dawn, false or otherwise. We were absolutely dire at Charlton and only slightly better on Saturday. The first half was certainly no better. Not a reflection on McGreal per se, he's only been in the door 5 minutes and I do like what he's trying to do in terms of going a little more direct and having more of a presence in the final third, but we can hardly be accused of being blinded by some short term false dawn.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:23 - Dec 13 with 1693 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:22 - Dec 13 by clive_baker

I think it's a stretch to say it's a dawn, false or otherwise. We were absolutely dire at Charlton and only slightly better on Saturday. The first half was certainly no better. Not a reflection on McGreal per se, he's only been in the door 5 minutes and I do like what he's trying to do in terms of going a little more direct and having more of a presence in the final third, but we can hardly be accused of being blinded by some short term false dawn.

Cant really put the Charlton performance on McGreal, he'd had an hour with the players.

That was legacy Cook if anything.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:26 - Dec 13 with 1664 viewsclive_baker

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:23 - Dec 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

Cant really put the Charlton performance on McGreal, he'd had an hour with the players.

That was legacy Cook if anything.

Yeah, that's what I said. Can't really put the Wigan one on him either.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:26 - Dec 13 with 1666 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Absolutely not on board with this at all.

Pro,option this season is incredibly unlikely but going with McGreal at this stage basically admits we’re not even gonna try. Whilst we can’t expect a new manager coming in and getting us to the playoffs, it’s not completely impossible and teams further adrift than us have manager it. So appointing the interim who’s got 1 point from 6 available and arguably managed us to the worst performance in 10 years in that time... not for me. Not at all.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:28 - Dec 13 with 1644 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:26 - Dec 13 by The_Romford_Blue

Pro,option this season is incredibly unlikely but going with McGreal at this stage basically admits we’re not even gonna try. Whilst we can’t expect a new manager coming in and getting us to the playoffs, it’s not completely impossible and teams further adrift than us have manager it. So appointing the interim who’s got 1 point from 6 available and arguably managed us to the worst performance in 10 years in that time... not for me. Not at all.

This all depends on who the best alternative candidate is at present.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:29 - Dec 13 with 1632 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:26 - Dec 13 by clive_baker

I think the Wigan performance was a response to McGreal. I give him credit for that one.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:31 - Dec 13 with 1610 viewsFixed_It

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:26 - Dec 13 by The_Romford_Blue

To blame him in any way for Charlton is doing him a huge disservice.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:32 - Dec 13 with 1601 views66notout

Worst performance in 10 years? Come on, how can you have forgotten the FA Cup replay defeat at non-league Lincoln?
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:32 - Dec 13 with 1594 viewsurbanblue

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:26 - Dec 13 by clive_baker

Really? Who bought Norwood back into the squad and made the substitutions?
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:35 - Dec 13 with 1565 viewshomer_123

Nope - as I said from the outset - he's not for us long term of even until the end of the season.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:38 - Dec 13 with 1545 viewsclive_baker

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:29 - Dec 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think the Wigan performance was a response to McGreal. I give him credit for that one.

It was certainly more of a chance for him to implement his ideas I thought. Chartlon was simply a case of not changing too much, giving a team talk and hoping for the best. I don't really see what else he could've done.

Wigan he brought Norwood back into the fold and deserves credit for that. I like that he went 2 up front and I like that we went a little more direct. His experience as a player and his team at Colchester which was strong defensively would be good to benefit from as we move forward. It felt like a step in the right direction, albeit scrappy. Pigott was poor, which really exposed us, it was only when Norwood went on and started to hold the ball up that we managed to get up the pitch and start playing in the right areas.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:41 - Dec 13 with 1509 viewsurbanblue

The squad were shell shocked at Cooks departure so Charlton cannot be McGreal's work.

Did you watch the Wigan game? Much as the first half was pretty poor the players were clearly motivated and we finished the stronger side. Wigan are top of the league remember.
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:44 - Dec 13 with 1483 viewsclive_baker

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:32 - Dec 13 by urbanblue

Really? Who bought Norwood back into the squad and made the substitutions?

Absolutely, not disputing that. I mean more the fact he had less than a week with the squad, when you consider we had the mid week game and travelled up north on Friday. I don't think anyone can be critical of McGreal or expect results overnight, he's perhaps had 2 or 3 days of proper training. I don't think we can say we're being blinded by a false dawn, 1) it's not really been a dawn to take 1 point from 6, and 2) it's not fair to expect much from JM at this stage or that he can change too much overnight. As I said, I like that he made us a little more direct and went 2 up top, and it's encouraging.

I wouldn't be averse to him staying on, especially when the alternatives don't look any more appealing.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:44 - Dec 13 with 1465 viewsKieran_Knows

It’s not going to be McGreal.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:44 - Dec 13 with 1464 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:35 - Dec 13 by homer_123

Nope - as I said from the outset - he's not for us long term of even until the end of the season.

No-one actually knows how good he might be.

The alternatives are exactly A-list.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:46 - Dec 13 with 1439 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to go with McGreal on 10:31 - Dec 13 by Fixed_It

To blame him in any way for Charlton is doing him a huge disservice.

I’m not blaming him.

But we’d be giving him the job from 2 games. One of which was Charlton. We can’t just ignore that.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024