Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
question for twtd musicians 18:40 - Dec 14 with 3213 viewslowhouseblue

i'm seeking advice. i like music - listen to all sorts. i really like when people play informally and would like to be able to join in. but i've never learnt an instrument, can't read music, and never got to understand the theory behind it all. i am an ultimate musical ignoramus. so where should i start? what's the right instrument for a musical idiot? do i need to learn the theory first. (it may of course turn out that i just lack any aptitude, which may of course explain why i haven't got round to it before).

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

question for twtd musicians on 18:42 - Dec 14 with 2251 viewsunbelievablue

I learnt to play the very basics of guitar with lessons when I was a teenager. But now I wouldn't bother shelling out. With a bit of perseverance and motivation, Youtube could teach you all you need to know to get semi-competent.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

question for twtd musicians on 18:51 - Dec 14 with 2205 viewslowhouseblue

question for twtd musicians on 18:42 - Dec 14 by unbelievablue

I learnt to play the very basics of guitar with lessons when I was a teenager. But now I wouldn't bother shelling out. With a bit of perseverance and motivation, Youtube could teach you all you need to know to get semi-competent.

cheers. so i'm hoping guitar is at the idiot friendly end of the spectrum.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

question for twtd musicians on 18:54 - Dec 14 with 2193 viewsPinewoodblue

Have you considered a tambourine
?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

question for twtd musicians on 18:55 - Dec 14 with 2192 viewsMullet

question for twtd musicians on 18:51 - Dec 14 by lowhouseblue

cheers. so i'm hoping guitar is at the idiot friendly end of the spectrum.

You could buy a soprano ukulele for about £25 and learn off YouTube and tab sites

For that investment plus time you might find if it’s for you or not. Guitar is always doable with patience and keeping your expectations in check

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

question for twtd musicians on 18:55 - Dec 14 with 2187 viewslowhouseblue

question for twtd musicians on 18:54 - Dec 14 by Pinewoodblue

Have you considered a tambourine
?

i fear even that would be a challenge.

question for twtd musicians on 18:59 - Dec 14 with 2164 viewsEwan_Oozami

If you want to be able to play along with people a bass guitar is always a good bet (ok, so I'm biased here!) - you can get a starter pack bass guitar and a small amp (make sure its got a headphone jack and an Aux in so you can practice along to stuff) relatively cheaply nowadays.

As unbellers says there is a ton of stuff on youtube covering the basics of any instrument but with bass you can get to understand rhythm, scales and harmonies (which is more than enough theory to be getting on with) early doors without having to be overly proficient (I should know, I've been doing it for years!)

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

question for twtd musicians on 19:07 - Dec 14 with 2140 viewslowhouseblue

question for twtd musicians on 18:55 - Dec 14 by Mullet

You could buy a soprano ukulele for about £25 and learn off YouTube and tab sites

For that investment plus time you might find if it’s for you or not. Guitar is always doable with patience and keeping your expectations in check

thanks. is the soprano ukulele a gateway instrument - ie does it make learning other things easier? it isn't something i'd have thought of in itself.

question for twtd musicians on 19:08 - Dec 14 with 2138 viewslowhouseblue

question for twtd musicians on 18:59 - Dec 14 by Ewan_Oozami

If you want to be able to play along with people a bass guitar is always a good bet (ok, so I'm biased here!) - you can get a starter pack bass guitar and a small amp (make sure its got a headphone jack and an Aux in so you can practice along to stuff) relatively cheaply nowadays.

As unbellers says there is a ton of stuff on youtube covering the basics of any instrument but with bass you can get to understand rhythm, scales and harmonies (which is more than enough theory to be getting on with) early doors without having to be overly proficient (I should know, I've been doing it for years!)

thanks.

Login to get fewer ads

question for twtd musicians on 19:09 - Dec 14 with 2130 viewsEwan_Oozami

question for twtd musicians on 19:08 - Dec 14 by lowhouseblue

thanks.

You'll soon be slapping along with the best of them!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

question for twtd musicians on 19:14 - Dec 14 with 2115 viewsPlums

Plank spanking is one option. There’s always the other part of the rhythm section - the drums. Electronic kits can be bought second hand for very little money, play to yourself via headphones and as others have said - lots of stuff on YouTube. Be careful to follow some structure in your learning though as ‘starting in the middle’ can be soul destroying if you haven’t picked up some basics.
If you’re good at maths, decoding drums and drum music will come very easily.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

question for twtd musicians on 19:22 - Dec 14 with 2100 viewslowhouseblue

question for twtd musicians on 19:14 - Dec 14 by Plums

Plank spanking is one option. There’s always the other part of the rhythm section - the drums. Electronic kits can be bought second hand for very little money, play to yourself via headphones and as others have said - lots of stuff on YouTube. Be careful to follow some structure in your learning though as ‘starting in the middle’ can be soul destroying if you haven’t picked up some basics.

cheers. hadn't thought of drums, but definitely one for the maths. interesting.

question for twtd musicians on 19:24 - Dec 14 with 2096 viewsDubtractor

I'm similar to you in some ways, love music but can't play it, and the few times I've tried to learn eg guitar I just get too frustrated and give up as I really struggle with coordinating left and right hands.

I don't have many regrets in life, but not learning to play music as a kid (when learning stuff is easier) is one of them.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

question for twtd musicians on 19:56 - Dec 14 with 2052 viewsdickie

YouTube is your friend when learning an instrument but it's almost impossible to learn good technique watching a video. Ukuleles are pretty easy to pick up and start strumming. I guess they could be considered a gateway instrument to the guitar but in all honesty if you want to learn the guitar I'd just start there. As a music tutor, what I would say though is that the vast majority of self taught people who come to me for lessons have lots of bad habits that they've picked up (and it's trickier getting rid of those habits rather than learning correctly in the first place)
question for twtd musicians on 20:11 - Dec 14 with 2012 viewsunbelievablue

question for twtd musicians on 19:56 - Dec 14 by dickie

YouTube is your friend when learning an instrument but it's almost impossible to learn good technique watching a video. Ukuleles are pretty easy to pick up and start strumming. I guess they could be considered a gateway instrument to the guitar but in all honesty if you want to learn the guitar I'd just start there. As a music tutor, what I would say though is that the vast majority of self taught people who come to me for lessons have lots of bad habits that they've picked up (and it's trickier getting rid of those habits rather than learning correctly in the first place)

Yeah that's a fair retort to my post, I must admit. I am severely limited and hamstrung by certain habits which would require a tutor to help fix. That said, can't be bothered, and happy strumming along with the tunes I know.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

question for twtd musicians on 20:53 - Dec 14 with 1954 viewsRadioOrwell

Good call.
Bass guitar. Find out what a root note is and you are done.

Everyone and their dog plays 6 string but if you turn up with a bass then you'll be able to join in more or less any kind of jam.
Electro acoustic bass is a decent option because you can play it through an amp and ...guess what ... acoustically which works with acoustic guitar dudes.
question for twtd musicians on 21:02 - Dec 14 with 1928 viewsPlums

question for twtd musicians on 19:56 - Dec 14 by dickie

Definitely agree with this. Had my first lesson 35 years after starting playing (with a 20 year break!) and it was a real eye-opener! Lessons are worth every penny.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

question for twtd musicians on 21:11 - Dec 14 with 1894 viewsMullet

question for twtd musicians on 19:07 - Dec 14 by lowhouseblue

thanks. is the soprano ukulele a gateway instrument - ie does it make learning other things easier? it isn't something i'd have thought of in itself.

Yeah, it's way smaller, 4 strings, chords are much simpler so building up rhythm and changing chords etc. is way easier I'd say.

They often teach them to older primary school kids/younger high school kids to get them interested.

Someone like "Justin Guitar" on YouTube has loads of lessons and intros so you could watch some and see if you fancy it.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

question for twtd musicians on 21:29 - Dec 14 with 1854 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

question for twtd musicians on 19:24 - Dec 14 by Dubtractor

I'm similar to you in some ways, love music but can't play it, and the few times I've tried to learn eg guitar I just get too frustrated and give up as I really struggle with coordinating left and right hands.

I don't have many regrets in life, but not learning to play music as a kid (when learning stuff is easier) is one of them.

Speaking as the person that f#cked up a school concert by coming in about 2 minutes early on the triangle you shoud count your blessings!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

question for twtd musicians on 21:37 - Dec 14 with 1825 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyway the answer is....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

question for twtd musicians on 22:32 - Dec 14 with 1782 viewseireblue

question for twtd musicians on 19:22 - Dec 14 by lowhouseblue

cheers. hadn't thought of drums, but definitely one for the maths. interesting.

Yep all good bands have a group of musicians, and a drummer.

Try a bass guitar. Quite easy to practise simple techniques to get going, e.g. establish a groove, but not as disruptive than drums to others.
question for twtd musicians on 23:31 - Dec 14 with 1732 viewsWeWereZombies

question for twtd musicians on 19:14 - Dec 14 by Plums

However it is worth bearing in mind that with kit drums you will need to be able to get your hands and feet doing different things at the same time (or even the same thing at different times), good drummers make it look it easy...but it isn't, it just looks that way because they are very disciplined. Also true of the tambourine if you happen to somehow end up playing in a scratch band with one of the big names in Mento (a forerunner of Reggae), I got told off for playing too loud - but I think that was just a polite way of saying I was crap at it.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

question for twtd musicians on 08:53 - Dec 15 with 1631 viewsStuartBrett8

I'm self taught on guitar and bass, I also play simple versions of keyboard and drums/percussion. I just got bought a Cajon drum as an alternative to playing a full kit. You can make simple music with very little skill :)
[Post edited 15 Dec 2021 8:54]

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

question for twtd musicians on 09:18 - Dec 15 with 1612 viewsfarkenhell

Hurdy-gurdy (only because I like the name)
question for twtd musicians on 09:19 - Dec 15 with 1609 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Great that you are thinking about this, making music is one of the most uplifting things you can do, much needed at the moment. A few things you might like to think about:

What's important to you, are you looking to just play at home for your own amusement or would you be interested in social music making.

Guitar - Good choice, relatively easy to get to a reasonable standard where you can play a good number of tunes. Plenty of YouTube and other resources available. If you are interested in joining a band, as another poster mentioned, bass players are always in demand, not quite so satisfying to play on your own though.

Drums - Fun and again plenty or learning resources available. Not always appreciated by family and neighbours, also if you join a band, you'll always have to be the first to arrive and last to leave setting up and taking down your kit!

Keyboard - More difficult to learn than the guitar but obviously loads of different music (rock, jazz, classical) to get your teeth into.

Band/Orchestral instruments - If you are interested in social music making instruments like trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute etc can be good choices. Plenty of amateur wind band, brass band, jazz bands to join which can be great places for getting to know people. Need to be at a moderate standard to get the most out of these.

Although there are YouTube and other resources to help learn an instrument, personally I'd recommend at least having a few lessons. First of all it makes sure you are on the right track but also I found having some lessons gives a reason and motivation to do a bit of practice. There's an annual learn to play day where you can get a free lesson that might be of interest.

https://www.musicforall.org.uk/get-involved/learn-to-play-day/

Good luck with whatever you take up.
question for twtd musicians on 09:32 - Dec 15 with 1587 viewsWeWereZombies

question for twtd musicians on 09:18 - Dec 15 by farkenhell

Hurdy-gurdy (only because I like the name)

I think you are on a wind up there...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024