Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Ashton... 11:26 - Dec 16 with 903 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Is Ashton...

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Is Ashton... on 11:27 - Dec 16 with 861 viewsGuthrum

Possibly both. We don't know.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is Ashton... on 11:29 - Dec 16 with 834 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Is Ashton... on 11:27 - Dec 16 by Guthrum

Possibly both. We don't know.

He's worrying me.

Is Ashton... on 11:54 - Dec 16 with 754 viewsGuthrum

Is Ashton... on 11:29 - Dec 16 by OriginalMarkyP

He's worrying me.

But with very little concrete evidence either way.

All we have is that he came in at the beginning of June, a very experienced senior football exec, was highly enthusiastic (overly so, in some people's view), manged to get a large number of fairly highly-rated signings over the line, got some money from outgoing players which we weren't entirely expecting to, backed Cook, speaks well (if, perhaps, a little corporately) to the press and fans, is heartily disliked by some Bristol fans (tho it's not like he oversaw an Ipswich-like decline in their club), was involved with the board in the decision to sack Cook (who hadn't been performing all that well), did not have anyone immediately ready to take over, but did appoint a fairly experienced caretaker.

Beyond that, everything is supposition.

It's not a flawless record, but neither is it particularly bad. In some ways, quite good, based only on the hard facts. I think a lot of it is coloured by whether one thinks Cook should have been given longer and how much credence is given to what the Bristolians have been saying.

Is Ashton... on 11:59 - Dec 16 with 711 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Is Ashton... on 11:54 - Dec 16 by Guthrum

But with very little concrete evidence either way.

All we have is that he came in at the beginning of June, a very experienced senior football exec, was highly enthusiastic (overly so, in some people's view), manged to get a large number of fairly highly-rated signings over the line, got some money from outgoing players which we weren't entirely expecting to, backed Cook, speaks well (if, perhaps, a little corporately) to the press and fans, is heartily disliked by some Bristol fans (tho it's not like he oversaw an Ipswich-like decline in their club), was involved with the board in the decision to sack Cook (who hadn't been performing all that well), did not have anyone immediately ready to take over, but did appoint a fairly experienced caretaker.

Beyond that, everything is supposition.

It's not a flawless record, but neither is it particularly bad. In some ways, quite good, based only on the hard facts. I think a lot of it is coloured by whether one thinks Cook should have been given longer and how much credence is given to what the Bristolians have been saying.

I think that is fair and accurate.

But there is something I don't particularly trust and I've worked with a lot of 'good talkers' in my time.

Is Ashton... on 12:09 - Dec 16 with 656 viewsGuthrum

Is Ashton... on 11:59 - Dec 16 by OriginalMarkyP

But there is something I don't particularly trust and I've worked with a lot of 'good talkers' in my time.

Thing is, would he have been hired by Watford for four-and-a-half years (a reasonably successful period for the club) and Bristol for five-and-a-half if a 'good talker' is all he is?

Is Ashton... on 12:16 - Dec 16 with 619 viewsMetal_Hacker

The club needed change and he allowed the change - hindsight is a fantastic thing at times

I don't think we can blame Ashton fully for all of this but I do believe he should carry a little but he was probably between a rock and a hard place in terms of damned if you do damned if you don't.If it all worked out he would be perceived as a genius

We all know it didn't work but at the time we were signing all these players ,apart from a few , we were highly delighted and a lot of that I guess, must have been down to him for the most part

The major issue for me was the "coaching" team who didn't and haven't got the best out of those players we purchased .The majority of the blame sits with Cook in that respect for bringing in a relatively inexperienced coaching team.That said Ashton must have agreed to that team to be recruited BUT with recommendations from Cook surely

For me - 80% Cook and 20% Ashton if we're pointing the finger

To be fair I'm not really bothered who's fault it is - I just want it sorting once and for all ffs

Poll: If it were one or the other

Is Ashton... on 12:17 - Dec 16 with 607 viewsTractorCam

Is Ashton... on 11:59 - Dec 16 by OriginalMarkyP

You've moved on to your next target now Cook has gone then?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Is Ashton... on 12:20 - Dec 16 with 580 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Is Ashton... on 12:16 - Dec 16 by Metal_Hacker

The club needed change and he allowed the change - hindsight is a fantastic thing at times

I don't think we can blame Ashton fully for all of this but I do believe he should carry a little but he was probably between a rock and a hard place in terms of damned if you do damned if you don't.If it all worked out he would be perceived as a genius

We all know it didn't work but at the time we were signing all these players ,apart from a few , we were highly delighted and a lot of that I guess, must have been down to him for the most part

The major issue for me was the "coaching" team who didn't and haven't got the best out of those players we purchased .The majority of the blame sits with Cook in that respect for bringing in a relatively inexperienced coaching team.That said Ashton must have agreed to that team to be recruited BUT with recommendations from Cook surely

For me - 80% Cook and 20% Ashton if we're pointing the finger

To be fair I'm not really bothered who's fault it is - I just want it sorting once and for all ffs

Again fair assessment.

I think the coaching (or lack of it) played a massive part, also the balance of attacking signings vs defensive signings.

We've all seen it doesn't matter who's in the final third if you can't defend or get it out of the defensive third.

Login to get fewer ads

Is Ashton... on 12:23 - Dec 16 with 535 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Is Ashton... on 12:17 - Dec 16 by TractorCam

You've moved on to your next target now Cook has gone then?

No.

Just a question. Interested to guage the board opinion to be honest.

I think if we back the Gamechanger model and Ashton is their man, we need to stick with him. I'm a little surprised that having sent Cook on his way that as far as I'm concerned was almost inevitable from day one, Cook and Ashton always looked a marriage of convenience at best, that someone as seemingly as organised as Ashton would have had a replacement ready to go.

Is Ashton... on 12:25 - Dec 16 with 531 viewsGavTWTD

Is Ashton... on 12:20 - Dec 16 by OriginalMarkyP

Again fair assessment.

I think the coaching (or lack of it) played a massive part, also the balance of attacking signings vs defensive signings.

We've all seen it doesn't matter who's in the final third if you can't defend or get it out of the defensive third.

It's been widely reported that we were looking at defenders in the january window, LB and CB I'm sure was mentioned. Cook might have got things right, we'll never know but he made wrong decisions. Everything is SO negative now from ITFC to Covid, let's give Ashton a chance before we decide he's part of the problem.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Is Ashton... on 12:31 - Dec 16 with 455 viewsGuthrum

Is Ashton... on 12:23 - Dec 16 by OriginalMarkyP

No.

Just a question. Interested to guage the board opinion to be honest.

I think if we back the Gamechanger model and Ashton is their man, we need to stick with him. I'm a little surprised that having sent Cook on his way that as far as I'm concerned was almost inevitable from day one, Cook and Ashton always looked a marriage of convenience at best, that someone as seemingly as organised as Ashton would have had a replacement ready to go.

I do wonder if the decision was more precipitate than intended. If the post-Wycombe slump forced a rapid rethink, things sliding downhill (and away from the playoffs) too quickly. Even, perhaps, if there was a serious row after the first Barrow game, either with Ashton or in the dressing room.

Perhaps the man they had lined up changed his mind? Or it's taken a while to sort out the admin (agree contracts, get permits if from overseas)?

We don't really know what's happening behind the scenes.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2021 12:34]

Is Ashton... on 12:47 - Dec 16 with 395 viewsRedX

I remember listening to him being interviewed while he was at Watford. It stayed in my head since because of his brutal cold attitude to club staff. I remember thinking this is the last guy on earth I’d want to work for.

He’s had problems at a few clubs. There are far too many Bristol fans speaking poorly about him for it to be BS. The club needed change from top to bottom for sure. He still might put in place structures to do that but I hope he’s not here longterm. The sacking of Cook was cold and personally I think it was disgusting.

Just my opinion though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024