Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment 14:05 - Dec 16 with 2777 viewshype313

And to be fair, given the nonchalance around all the other names it could be quite an exciting and pivotal role for both him and the club.

I really don't know much about him, which isn't a surprise given his age and career to date, but I like the fact that the club are looking at someone like him, as opposed to the usual suspects.

Could be a masterstroke.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:08 - Dec 16 with 2409 viewswkj

It could be - but I am not sure why so much buzz around someone who is yet to create a legacy in football management. We don't want Neil Harris despite his credentials and achievements being on show - but we do want someone who has none to date.

Not saying I hate the idea of McKenna - but I find the logic of town fans all over the place at the moment.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:15 - Dec 16 with 2285 viewsWacko

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:08 - Dec 16 by wkj

It could be - but I am not sure why so much buzz around someone who is yet to create a legacy in football management. We don't want Neil Harris despite his credentials and achievements being on show - but we do want someone who has none to date.

Not saying I hate the idea of McKenna - but I find the logic of town fans all over the place at the moment.

It's about choosing someone who's at the cutting edge of football coaching and development (I.e. a top Premier League club, working with the most professional people in the sport). And if we're comparing McKenna to Harris, McKenna has been a coach for the same amount of years if not longer

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:19 - Dec 16 with 2226 viewsbournemouthblue

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:15 - Dec 16 by Wacko

It's about choosing someone who's at the cutting edge of football coaching and development (I.e. a top Premier League club, working with the most professional people in the sport). And if we're comparing McKenna to Harris, McKenna has been a coach for the same amount of years if not longer

The other one is Barry at Chelsea?

Are we likely to go down the Head Coach route and have a sporting director or director of football type brought in as well?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:19 - Dec 16 with 2223 viewshype313

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:08 - Dec 16 by wkj

Agreed, but I think a lot of us as Town fans are a bit exasperated by guys who have legacy's or CV's with promotions, as time and time again we have been let down, and that isn't purely down to those individual managers, but collectively every single one has failed.

This to me looks like a risk, but a calculated risk, especially given the respect from both Spurs and Utd hierarchy towards him.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:20 - Dec 16 with 2198 viewsmylittletown

We are not going to get a really good quality progressive and proven manager. We might get a manager with a decent record at this level like Cook, or maybe Harris.

If we want something better than that, it is only going to happen if we are prepared to go for someone with potential and a good background, rather than proven experience.
cf A.Ramsey, R.Robson, G Burley all of whom joined us when things were less than promising, albeit in the latter two cases, when things were a lot better than they are now.
McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:20 - Dec 16 with 2182 viewsPrice_1991

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:15 - Dec 16 by Wacko

Also will have links to Man United and people like Rangnick and Ferguson.
McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:20 - Dec 16 with 2178 viewsWacko

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:19 - Dec 16 by bournemouthblue

Are we likely to go down the Head Coach route and have a sporting director or director of football type brought in as well?

I'd love Barry. It's exactly the type of appointment MK Dons made with Manning

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:20 - Dec 16 with 2174 viewswkj

Do you think that the cutting edge of football is compatible in a league where most teams favor lobbing balls around like intercontinental ballistic missiles?

I can't point out enough that I am not poo-pooing the idea of McKenna - but the levels of excitement for him vs levels of disdain for Niel Harris is majorly disproportionate in my opinion. McKenna is not a messiah, and Harris is not the devil incarnate - though the way some are carrying on you could easily think otherwise.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:24 - Dec 16 with 2061 viewsitfcjoe

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:19 - Dec 16 by bournemouthblue

We've got one already - Gary Probert

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:25 - Dec 16 with 2027 viewsElderGrizzly

I think it shows we are going down a more modern structure at the club with a Head Coach route.

Even if he ultimately fails, that type of structure at Town has been called out for the last few years.
McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:26 - Dec 16 with 2004 viewsWacko

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:20 - Dec 16 by wkj

Do you think that the cutting edge of football is compatible in a league where most teams favor lobbing balls around like intercontinental ballistic missiles?

I can't point out enough that I am not poo-pooing the idea of McKenna - but the levels of excitement for him vs levels of disdain for Niel Harris is majorly disproportionate in my opinion. McKenna is not a messiah, and Harris is not the devil incarnate - though the way some are carrying on you could easily think otherwise.

Yes for sure, especially in terms of diet, psychology, tactical understanding - all of these things are designed to give the team small incremental advantages.

The excitement for McKenna over Harris is the potential: if he's already been trusted to work day in day out with the very top players in the country, he has the potential to be a manager of them one day. Harris is a solid pair of hands but hasn't shown any real forward-thinking attitudes in his 6 years as a manager

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:30 - Dec 16 with 1933 viewsElderGrizzly

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:20 - Dec 16 by Price_1991

Also will have links to Man United and people like Rangnick and Ferguson.

That's a good shout.

I wonder how much that plays in decisions. The contacts they bring? Having Man Utd players as a potential source on loans
McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:36 - Dec 16 with 1781 viewschrismakin

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:20 - Dec 16 by wkj

Would be nice if we could see some set plays rather than just chip it in the box and see what happens..

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:36 - Dec 16 with 1778 viewsPrice_1991

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:30 - Dec 16 by ElderGrizzly

That's a good shout.

I wonder how much that plays in decisions. The contacts they bring? Having Man Utd players as a potential source on loans

I follow a lot of Manchester United news as my father in law is a massive fan and they definitely have some very talented younger players who are too good for the u23s but not quite ready for the main first team, I wonder if McKenna becomes manager we could get a couple of them in on loan for the rest of the season. Not normally a fan of loan players but if they are an improvement of what we currently have I would take them to help us push on for the end of the season. Playoffs are still possible so lets try and get there at least.
McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:38 - Dec 16 with 1733 viewsfooters

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:20 - Dec 16 by Wacko

I'd love Barry. It's exactly the type of appointment MK Dons made with Manning

It's got some great arcades and a decent beach. Certainly worth a visit if you're in Cardiff or Swansea.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:39 - Dec 16 with 1723 viewsGuthrum

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:26 - Dec 16 by Wacko

Yes for sure, especially in terms of diet, psychology, tactical understanding - all of these things are designed to give the team small incremental advantages.

The excitement for McKenna over Harris is the potential: if he's already been trusted to work day in day out with the very top players in the country, he has the potential to be a manager of them one day. Harris is a solid pair of hands but hasn't shown any real forward-thinking attitudes in his 6 years as a manager

The players certainly can't take a "big I am" attitude* with someone who's been working with the First Team at ManU.

* This is not an allegation that they have, more a general observation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:40 - Dec 16 with 1694 viewsclive_baker

It's the hope it brings I guess.

I don't disagree with you, I think we need a somewhat proven pair of hands, but with that brings someone who likely has a blot on their copy book, otherwise they're a) no human or b) not coming to L1.

Zero senior experience brings the hope that we're unearting the next big thing, which is bound to be exciting. It's also very easy to sit here as fans and demand X, Y and Z. I dare say if some were sat in Ashton's seat they might not take such a punt. Same reason we probably get more excited about some rogue young signing from Holland, or want to see the 16 year old from the academy get a game than we do a 30 year old Jay Tabb. Where's the glamour in that?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:42 - Dec 16 with 1631 viewsclive_baker

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:36 - Dec 16 by chrismakin

Would be nice if we could see some set plays rather than just chip it in the box and see what happens..

Rare that me manage to get it in the box to be fair.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:45 - Dec 16 with 1582 viewsVic

All successful managers have to start somewhere. All the supposed successful managers we’ve had mentioned, all those with a track record, had success somewhere to start with. So I’m not against someone like this. He’s obviously worked with good players, and ex-players with good experience.

Slight concern at reports of players not buying into his training sessions, but that is at Man U who are probably used to nothing but the best. It would be interesting to see how he got on here. I can’t believe that with a new squad we’re still tallking about players not respecting the manager and not giving 100%!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:46 - Dec 16 with 1541 viewsFixed_It

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:40 - Dec 16 by clive_baker

It's the hope it brings I guess.

I don't disagree with you, I think we need a somewhat proven pair of hands, but with that brings someone who likely has a blot on their copy book, otherwise they're a) no human or b) not coming to L1.

Zero senior experience brings the hope that we're unearting the next big thing, which is bound to be exciting. It's also very easy to sit here as fans and demand X, Y and Z. I dare say if some were sat in Ashton's seat they might not take such a punt. Same reason we probably get more excited about some rogue young signing from Holland, or want to see the 16 year old from the academy get a game than we do a 30 year old Jay Tabb. Where's the glamour in that?

https://theathletic.com/news/ipswich-in-talks-with-kieran-mckenna-as-new-head-co

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:46 - Dec 16 with 1541 viewsIllinoisblue

The anti-Harris stuff was OTT but I’m not sure I’ve seen this buzz for McKenna. Certainly some guarded hope and optimism but not wild excitement

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:47 - Dec 16 with 1511 viewschicoazul

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:45 - Dec 16 by Vic

All successful managers have to start somewhere. All the supposed successful managers we’ve had mentioned, all those with a track record, had success somewhere to start with. So I’m not against someone like this. He’s obviously worked with good players, and ex-players with good experience.

Slight concern at reports of players not buying into his training sessions, but that is at Man U who are probably used to nothing but the best. It would be interesting to see how he got on here. I can’t believe that with a new squad we’re still tallking about players not respecting the manager and not giving 100%!

That’s just the standard bull that comes out of failing teams - we don’t like the coach he talks too much the video sessions are too long blah blah

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:49 - Dec 16 with 1482 viewsWacko

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:38 - Dec 16 by footers

It's got some great arcades and a decent beach. Certainly worth a visit if you're in Cardiff or Swansea.

Was actually talking about this place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry,_Illinois

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:50 - Dec 16 with 1464 viewsGuthrum

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:47 - Dec 16 by chicoazul

That’s just the standard bull that comes out of failing teams - we don’t like the coach he talks too much the video sessions are too long blah blah

Footballers might be highly motivated, but they're still a bunch of twenty-somethings, who'd probably rather be on their phones.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:58 - Dec 16 with 1351 viewsGarv

McKenna is certainly an intertesting left field appointment on 14:45 - Dec 16 by Vic

'I can’t believe that with a new squad we’re still tallking about players not respecting the manager and not giving 100%!'

We have no idea if this is true or not, though.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024