Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town are now running on infinite improbability drive 09:37 - Dec 17 with 1029 viewsRadlett_blue

and Ashton has turned the risk amplifier up to 11. I wish McKenna well and while there' s a hope that he might turn out to be the next Jose Mourinho & relief that we haven't appointed Neil Harris or Neil Warnock, this is a hugely risky appointment.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 09:39 - Dec 17 with 997 viewsRadioOrwell

Please describe a non risk appointment.
Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 09:45 - Dec 17 with 953 viewsGuthrum

It is, but like all these things, if a larger risk succeeds, it could produce bigger rewards.

If it fails, they may have wasted another year, but probably haven't lost that much money (if McKenna doesn't go mad in the transfer market*).

* On that point, he at least does not have a bunch of former players from old clubs he's wanting to sign up to fit his system, captain the club, etc.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 09:46 - Dec 17 with 948 viewshunty21

Please give me the pros and cons to me its not that risky we aint getting releg3and if it doesnt work out hes not to expensive to sack
Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 10:44 - Dec 17 with 797 viewsFixed_It

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 09:39 - Dec 17 by RadioOrwell

Well exactly. We've tried those and they failed. Some people have been citing Warnock as if he was certain to get us promoted. He wouldn't have.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 10:49 - Dec 17 with 767 viewsEwan_Oozami

Looking forward to seeing Zaphod Beeblebrox and Nigel Tufnel in the SBR soon then....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 12:49 - Dec 17 with 681 viewsScuzzer

All I know its left me with a terrible ache in my diodes down my left hand side.

Established 1968

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:02 - Dec 17 with 656 viewsRadlett_blue

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 09:39 - Dec 17 by RadioOrwell

Fair point - every managerial appointment has risk attached. However, it doesn't get much riskier than appointing a 35 year old with no playing experience at adult pro level and limited experience of even coaching senior professionals. He may be a superb coach, but being manager is a totally different job & it will be interesting if he gets the respect of Town's senior professionals. His assistant is even less experienced.
The only reason for optimism is the outside chance that McKenna is another Mourinho in the making. That's a long shot but the random element makes this a more interesting appointment than the likes of Harris or Warnock. Maybe Cook has assembled a decent squad & all they need is organising by a good coach? We shall see, but I'll be surprised if this one lasts very long. It will be particularly interesting to see if Town bring in any new faces in January. I anticipate the loan of a couple of young Man U players. How much can McKenna & Pert know about recruiting new League One players?

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:20 - Dec 17 with 613 viewsdirtyboy

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 09:45 - Dec 17 by Guthrum

It is, but like all these things, if a larger risk succeeds, it could produce bigger rewards.

If it fails, they may have wasted another year, but probably haven't lost that much money (if McKenna doesn't go mad in the transfer market*).

* On that point, he at least does not have a bunch of former players from old clubs he's wanting to sign up to fit his system, captain the club, etc.

That's a huge positive.

He'll look at every player with complete objectivity and not on the basis of what's been done before with any loyalty needing to be shown to players in certain positions etc.

Not a bad thing at all, but it really will take time.
Login to get fewer ads

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:38 - Dec 17 with 574 viewsRadlett_blue

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:20 - Dec 17 by dirtyboy

That's a huge positive.

He'll look at every player with complete objectivity and not on the basis of what's been done before with any loyalty needing to be shown to players in certain positions etc.

Not a bad thing at all, but it really will take time.

Yes, any new manager will need time to asses the squad & the advantage is that he usually comes in with no pre-conceived notions. I think this appointment has "disaster" written all over it, but it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:42 - Dec 17 with 539 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 09:45 - Dec 17 by Guthrum

Is it promotion next season or he gets sacked then?
Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:43 - Dec 17 with 537 viewsFightingEssex

A celebrity appointment from the fan’s point of view. You can imagine Terry getting a Championship club and doing quite well, and if we’re still struggling the mob will be saying should have got Terry when we could, forgetting that he likely cried with laughter when anything was offered to him here.

The risk Ashton has run here is if nothing has changed in a year a chunk of the support will walk away.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:48 - Dec 17 with 510 viewsKropotkin123

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 10:49 - Dec 17 by Ewan_Oozami

Looking forward to seeing Zaphod Beeblebrox and Nigel Tufnel in the SBR soon then....

I've definitely moved Ipswich's managerial appointments to my somebody-else's-problem field.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:49 - Dec 17 with 500 viewsRadlett_blue

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:43 - Dec 17 by FightingEssex

A celebrity appointment from the fan’s point of view. You can imagine Terry getting a Championship club and doing quite well, and if we’re still struggling the mob will be saying should have got Terry when we could, forgetting that he likely cried with laughter when anything was offered to him here.

The risk Ashton has run here is if nothing has changed in a year a chunk of the support will walk away.

I assume this is largely an Ashton appointment, although rubber-stamped by Gamechanger. It's his first appointment & choosing the rookie McKenna is either a wild gamble or a sensible decision to take a long term view with a promising young coach. The big mistake was letting Cook - not the new owner's choice - turn the squad inside out & then chucking him out after half a season.
It will be fascinating to see how McKenna deals with the Town squad, the press etc but I still think this has huge car crash potential.

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 14:06 - Dec 17 with 437 viewsChurchman

Town are now running on infinite improbability drive on 13:43 - Dec 17 by FightingEssex

I believe a celebrity appointment carries more risk than any other and would have been the worst of options. Regardless of the baggage, because Terry is known, why should he be a better manager for it? How many top players make good managers? Very few. The skills required are different. ‘He’d get more respect from the players’ I hear people cry. Well that respect will last five minutes if he is no good.

It’s about degree of risk and because McK is not famous in the Lampard sense, I think that is to his advantage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024