Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4222 11:11 - Dec 17 with 831 viewsHullblue

Interesting coincidence that we tried to use this formation on Wednesday, a few days after United did it. Apparently Rangnick has used it quite a lot during his career so presumably it came from him rather than any influence from McKenna.

Still, that’s the first and second time I’ve ever seen it in England, apart from on me and my uni housemate’s Fifa 11 save. It’s fair to say United did it much more effectively than we did.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

4222 on 11:16 - Dec 17 with 777 viewsBseaBlue

I'm not really sure it suits our personnel at the moment though. We did look a lot more comfortable with the 3 at the back in the second half. I particularly liked the look of Woolfenden as the ball carrying centre half and it gave us more impetus in trying to get the ball forward quickly.

I would be interested to see how we do with Bonne up top and Pigott trying to play off him, with Chaplin picking up the pockets of space left behind them.
4222 on 11:17 - Dec 17 with 759 viewsVaughan8

Oh was that the formation we played? I couldn't tell.
4222 on 11:19 - Dec 17 with 748 viewsJon_456

Ralph Hasenhuttl has used it consistently for Southampton over the last 2 years so I wouldn't say its new to England.

McGreal probably just wanted to try something different with 2 up top. Unfortunately it took him too long to realise it was the wrong decision and found ourselves 2 goals down.
4222 on 11:27 - Dec 17 with 677 viewsBloomBlue

Klopp often uses 4222 with Liverpool
4222 on 11:29 - Dec 17 with 654 viewsitfc_bucks

We had a formation in that first half?

I assumed it was a bunch of competition winners?!
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 11:30]
4222 on 11:31 - Dec 17 with 627 viewsKeno

4222 on 11:17 - Dec 17 by Vaughan8

Oh was that the formation we played? I couldn't tell.

I thought it was more of a 2 2 1 1 1 0.5 .075 0.25

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

4222 on 11:47 - Dec 17 with 559 viewsHullblue

4222 on 11:16 - Dec 17 by BseaBlue

I'm not really sure it suits our personnel at the moment though. We did look a lot more comfortable with the 3 at the back in the second half. I particularly liked the look of Woolfenden as the ball carrying centre half and it gave us more impetus in trying to get the ball forward quickly.

I would be interested to see how we do with Bonne up top and Pigott trying to play off him, with Chaplin picking up the pockets of space left behind them.

Yeah we did look much better second half. I think McKenna will be able to get us switching formations whenever necessary - unlike PC with his religious devotion to 4231. A big upside to the change, for me.

Hopefully this is a new dawn for Woolfie too. He’s so much more comfortable on the ball than Toto or Burgess.

4222 on 11:49 - Dec 17 with 540 viewsHullblue

4222 on 11:19 - Dec 17 by Jon_456

Ralph Hasenhuttl has used it consistently for Southampton over the last 2 years so I wouldn't say its new to England.

McGreal probably just wanted to try something different with 2 up top. Unfortunately it took him too long to realise it was the wrong decision and found ourselves 2 goals down.

Yeah fair enough - had totally forgotten about them!

Yup - was clear it wasn’t working from about 15 minutes in and we had the players on the pitch to play a 433 or 4231 so was surprised he didn’t change it.

Login to get fewer ads

4222 on 11:50 - Dec 17 with 536 viewspositivity

ragnarok has used it for years and coached it for years, not surprised united play it better than ipswich after a couple of coaching sessions with john mcgreal!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

4222 on 11:52 - Dec 17 with 517 viewschrismakin

4222 on 11:50 - Dec 17 by positivity

ragnarok has used it for years and coached it for years, not surprised united play it better than ipswich after a couple of coaching sessions with john mcgreal!

Do you need Gagenpress when using it? I'd never seen it before and It looked really strange to see.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

4222 on 11:56 - Dec 17 with 485 viewsHullblue

4222 on 11:50 - Dec 17 by positivity

Well exactly - which makes JM’s decision to use it even more puzzling. Didn’t seem like the time to try something new or complex, and that showed in our performance.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024