Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England doing their usual… 06:28 - Dec 18 with 1557 viewsChrisd

giving us all a bit of hope. Waiting for the inevitable collapse once Malan or Root get out.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

England doing their usual… on 08:00 - Dec 18 with 1149 viewsunbelievablue

Yep. Right on cue.

Same old story. Poor shot choices at inopportune moments.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

England doing their usual… on 08:11 - Dec 18 with 1136 viewsHerbivore

Embarrassing. This is the worst England side I've ever seen I think. So little batting talent it's unreal.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

England doing their usual… on 08:17 - Dec 18 with 1129 viewsFunge

England doing their usual… on 08:11 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

Embarrassing. This is the worst England side I've ever seen I think. So little batting talent it's unreal.

That's the point tho - there's undeniable talent there, but, mentally, we're miles off.

Malan and Root should've had 2 centuries each so far, and we all know how good Stokes and Buttler *can* be (Stokes is amazing).

This has to come from coaching - the best English performances in the last 20 years have come under Duncan Fletcher, Andy Flower and Trevor Bayliss - all overseas coaches.

Desperately need an opener, mind.
England doing their usual… on 08:22 - Dec 18 with 1120 viewsHerbivore

England doing their usual… on 08:17 - Dec 18 by Funge

That's the point tho - there's undeniable talent there, but, mentally, we're miles off.

Malan and Root should've had 2 centuries each so far, and we all know how good Stokes and Buttler *can* be (Stokes is amazing).

This has to come from coaching - the best English performances in the last 20 years have come under Duncan Fletcher, Andy Flower and Trevor Bayliss - all overseas coaches.

The opening pair are poor and whilst Malan is doing a decent job at 3 since coming back in I'm not sure he's the answer. I guess when I say talent I mean more than just the ability to play the odd nice shot before getting out, which is the kind of talent too many of our batting options have. The top 2 though just genuinely lack anything. Burns manages one score a series and stays in the side because whoever partners him manages no scores in a series. Without Root we'd be Zimbabwe level in the batting department.

England doing their usual… on 08:36 - Dec 18 with 1096 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Been a painful watch this morning. Even as an Australia backer I wanted it to be closer than this. It’s just a total whitewash and 5-0 is beckoning unfortunately

Trying to lift my spirits by watching the 70 minute YouTube video of Stokes and Leach at Headinley a few years ago. The full partnership is just incredible to watch. And then I glance over to my screen and see in the live game we’ve just lost another wicket. Pretty much how it’s been for an hour.

Woakes and Stokes need a partnership now just to keep it interesting as a spectacle

Edit - I’ll link it just to give everyone the chance again to watch the shot at 17:41. You won’t see a better cricket shot in your lifetimes.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 8:46]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

England doing their usual… on 08:42 - Dec 18 with 1090 viewsFunge

England doing their usual… on 08:22 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

The opening pair are poor and whilst Malan is doing a decent job at 3 since coming back in I'm not sure he's the answer. I guess when I say talent I mean more than just the ability to play the odd nice shot before getting out, which is the kind of talent too many of our batting options have. The top 2 though just genuinely lack anything. Burns manages one score a series and stays in the side because whoever partners him manages no scores in a series. Without Root we'd be Zimbabwe level in the batting department.

The whole situation is pitiful, and, worse yet, the suspicion we would capitulate was hanging over us for some time prior to the series starting.

Burns getting rinsed first ball in Brisbane reinforced, you fear, all of the worries that this team had - we've never really recovered from it.

The bowling has tried hard (although, poor Leach...), the batting is, as discussed, stupidly fragile (in addition to the openers, the lower middle order of Pope and Buttler look terrified - both can properly bat, neither are doing so), and the fielding has been atrocious - properly atrocious. The Aussies know if they edge it, there's about a 40% chance we'll shell it.

When Jimmy and Broad retire - eeek....

Silverwood clearly shouldn't be coaching this lot; sadly, however, the problem goes quite a lot further than him.
England doing their usual… on 08:49 - Dec 18 with 1054 viewsHerbivore

England doing their usual… on 08:42 - Dec 18 by Funge

The whole situation is pitiful, and, worse yet, the suspicion we would capitulate was hanging over us for some time prior to the series starting.

Burns getting rinsed first ball in Brisbane reinforced, you fear, all of the worries that this team had - we've never really recovered from it.

The bowling has tried hard (although, poor Leach...), the batting is, as discussed, stupidly fragile (in addition to the openers, the lower middle order of Pope and Buttler look terrified - both can properly bat, neither are doing so), and the fielding has been atrocious - properly atrocious. The Aussies know if they edge it, there's about a 40% chance we'll shell it.

When Jimmy and Broad retire - eeek....

Silverwood clearly shouldn't be coaching this lot; sadly, however, the problem goes quite a lot further than him.

Good point on the fiddling. When we were at our best we were absolutely clinical in the field, now as you say it's not far off 50/50 whether we'll fail to hold on to anything more challenging than a routine catch. We just seem to be miles away from being a top side right now.

England doing their usual… on 09:05 - Dec 18 with 1010 viewsChrisd

England doing their usual… on 08:36 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Been a painful watch this morning. Even as an Australia backer I wanted it to be closer than this. It’s just a total whitewash and 5-0 is beckoning unfortunately

Trying to lift my spirits by watching the 70 minute YouTube video of Stokes and Leach at Headinley a few years ago. The full partnership is just incredible to watch. And then I glance over to my screen and see in the live game we’ve just lost another wicket. Pretty much how it’s been for an hour.

Woakes and Stokes need a partnership now just to keep it interesting as a spectacle

Edit - I’ll link it just to give everyone the chance again to watch the shot at 17:41. You won’t see a better cricket shot in your lifetimes.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 8:46]

I honestly believe a less established test playing nation like Afghanistan or Bangladesh would’ve put up a better fight. I genuinely believe England will struggle to win 10 sessions over the course of this 5 test series. Test cricket is the best format of the game and it’s about time the ECB started to invest time and money in it instead of treating it like a poor relation behind T20 and the 50 over game.

Login to get fewer ads

England doing their usual… on 09:10 - Dec 18 with 1001 viewsgainsboroughblue

Why do we do it? I switch off at 140-2 and think maybe, just maybe, this time we'll claw ourselves back. Five minutes ago, I get up again and the first name I hear when turning back on is Woakes. I suppose at least, he wasn't bowling,.

Our batting line up, is frankly laughable. We are making this Aussie attack look ten times better than what they are.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

England doing their usual… on 09:22 - Dec 18 with 968 viewsGuthrum

Maybe it's a cunning plan - score another sixty or so runs, the Aussies make us follow on (but only just), the openers and Buttler suddenly learn to bat properly against the red ball, we put on 400 and give Smith & co a tricky target of 200+ on the final day. Effectively reversing the toss.

Nice thought.

Edit: And Woakes goes while I'm typing.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 9:23]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

England doing their usual… on 09:29 - Dec 18 with 951 viewsGuthrum

England doing their usual… on 08:17 - Dec 18 by Funge

The T20 World Cup may not have been the best preparation for Buttler. Not only thrashing the ball off bowlers having to try funky stuff with fielding restrictions, but also being the one man upon whose batting the entire team performance seemed to depend.

England doing their usual… on 09:30 - Dec 18 with 953 viewsChrisd

England doing their usual… on 09:22 - Dec 18 by Guthrum

Maybe it's a cunning plan - score another sixty or so runs, the Aussies make us follow on (but only just), the openers and Buttler suddenly learn to bat properly against the red ball, we put on 400 and give Smith & co a tricky target of 200+ on the final day. Effectively reversing the toss.

Nice thought.

Edit: And Woakes goes while I'm typing.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 9:23]

And then wheel out our bowling attack that are all right handed and bowl at the same pace? Very cunning indeed 😉

England doing their usual… on 09:32 - Dec 18 with 944 viewsGuthrum

England doing their usual… on 09:30 - Dec 18 by Chrisd

And then wheel out our bowling attack that are all right handed and bowl at the same pace? Very cunning indeed 😉

Indeed. Nailed on win.

England doing their usual… on 09:41 - Dec 18 with 934 viewsGuthrum

Now, of course, Stokes is into his usual heroics, but limping and, if not careful, likely to be injured over the rest of the series.

Then his wicket falls.

England doing their usual… on 09:45 - Dec 18 with 930 viewsbluelagos

England doing their usual… on 09:41 - Dec 18 by Guthrum

Now, of course, Stokes is into his usual heroics, but limping and, if not careful, likely to be injured over the rest of the series.

Then his wicket falls.

Stopped watching when the 5th wicket went. Too depressing - got 5-0 written all over it.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

England doing their usual… on 09:56 - Dec 18 with 916 viewsGuthrum

England doing their usual… on 09:45 - Dec 18 by bluelagos

Stopped watching when the 5th wicket went. Too depressing - got 5-0 written all over it.

I love Test cricket, particularly listening on TMS. The Ashes is the pinnacle. But I'm distinctly going off this series. It's becoming too predictable.

England doing their usual… on 09:58 - Dec 18 with 911 viewsmikeybloo88

England doing their usual… on 09:29 - Dec 18 by Guthrum

The T20 World Cup may not have been the best preparation for Buttler. Not only thrashing the ball off bowlers having to try funky stuff with fielding restrictions, but also being the one man upon whose batting the entire team performance seemed to depend.

Half this Ausie team won the T20 World Cup and theyre all playing well, so I'm not buying T20 as an excuse not to be able to switch over to Test cricket. It's attitude and mental strength which is most obviously dragging this team down, of course coupled with some like Stokes, Broad and Anderson being undercooked and a few who really shouldn't be there at all.
England doing their usual… on 10:00 - Dec 18 with 908 viewsGuthrum

Broad and Anderson doing a good job as nightwatchmen for the openers.

England doing their usual… on 10:00 - Dec 18 with 907 viewsbluelagos

England doing their usual… on 09:56 - Dec 18 by Guthrum

I love Test cricket, particularly listening on TMS. The Ashes is the pinnacle. But I'm distinctly going off this series. It's becoming too predictable.

Tbf the England team only need to improve a couple of areas.

Their batting and their bowling.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

England doing their usual… on 10:05 - Dec 18 with 906 viewsGuthrum

England doing their usual… on 09:58 - Dec 18 by mikeybloo88

Half this Ausie team won the T20 World Cup and theyre all playing well, so I'm not buying T20 as an excuse not to be able to switch over to Test cricket. It's attitude and mental strength which is most obviously dragging this team down, of course coupled with some like Stokes, Broad and Anderson being undercooked and a few who really shouldn't be there at all.

Sure. But the Aussies didn't rest pretty much all their hopes on the bat of one man (which is partly why they won and we didn't). It's the mental strain of that upon Buttler which will take time to recover from. I was thinking of him in isolation.

All the rest of what you say is true and is the more fundamental issue for the team as a whole.

England doing their usual… on 10:12 - Dec 18 with 899 viewsGuthrum

England doing their usual… on 09:05 - Dec 18 by Chrisd

I honestly believe a less established test playing nation like Afghanistan or Bangladesh would’ve put up a better fight. I genuinely believe England will struggle to win 10 sessions over the course of this 5 test series. Test cricket is the best format of the game and it’s about time the ECB started to invest time and money in it instead of treating it like a poor relation behind T20 and the 50 over game.

Problem is, ODI and, particularly, T20 is more saleable, especially for TV.

England doing their usual… on 10:12 - Dec 18 with 898 viewsChrisd

England doing their usual… on 10:00 - Dec 18 by bluelagos

Tbf the England team only need to improve a couple of areas.

Their batting and their bowling.

And their fielding, but apart from that they aren’t far off 😉

England doing their usual… on 10:21 - Dec 18 with 875 viewsChrisd

England doing their usual… on 10:12 - Dec 18 by Guthrum

Problem is, ODI and, particularly, T20 is more saleable, especially for TV.

I agree Guthrrum, but look at the popularity of test cricket in this country, we’re sold out in most grounds, for most days and the ECB are quite prepared to let that drift away without a fight? It appears to me they are allowing it to happen too which is infuriating. The interest is very much there in this country for test cricket to be recognised as the pinnacle of the game. Perhaps the best thing that could happen is we lose 5-0 and get drummed doing it? Pretty much how it is panning out. Then the ECB might pull their fingers out, show it needs addressing and give it more priority.

England doing their usual… on 10:21 - Dec 18 with 876 viewsBent_double

Clearly I still don't understand how test cricket works...why haven't the Aussies enforced the follow-on?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

England doing their usual… on 10:24 - Dec 18 with 861 viewsChrisd

England doing their usual… on 10:21 - Dec 18 by Bent_double

Clearly I still don't understand how test cricket works...why haven't the Aussies enforced the follow-on?

Pile on the runs and mentally break us not for just this test match, but the series. Give their bowlers a bit of a rest and time to freshen up before unleashing them in that third session tomorrow on our hapless batsmen is how I’m seeing it from Smith’s point of view.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024