Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... 23:50 - Dec 18 with 1581 viewsWeirdFishes

Paul Cook would 100% still be here.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 23:57 - Dec 18 with 1560 viewsGuthrum

Almost certainly the case. However, in a well-constructed squad, one injury should not spell disaster.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 08:48 - Dec 19 with 1266 viewsDeano69

I suspect you’re right.

But pretty much highlights his unwillingness (or possibly lack of capabilities) to have alternative tactics or playing styles. Just replacing a player like for like with a sub is not a plan b or change of formation. Oh well, he’s gone now, so can’t wait to see what the new regime brings.

In spells yesterday Burns was very good. Gave us width, pace at defence, decent crossing into the box and drew fouls (thought Sunderland were pretty filthy/cynical)

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 08:52 - Dec 19 with 1248 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"When Morsy gets here we won't see that type of capitulation any more".

If Walton or Bonne had been recalled or got injured very early on we would be in a relegation battle by now.

How has Cook put together such a fragile group of players that relies on all of 4 individuals to be ever present and on form?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 08:55 - Dec 19 with 1221 viewsEsseeja

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 08:52 - Dec 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

"When Morsy gets here we won't see that type of capitulation any more".

If Walton or Bonne had been recalled or got injured very early on we would be in a relegation battle by now.

How has Cook put together such a fragile group of players that relies on all of 4 individuals to be ever present and on form?

I keep asking this, were all the signings ochestrated by Cook or were some made by Ashton?
If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:35 - Dec 19 with 1108 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 08:55 - Dec 19 by Esseeja

I keep asking this, were all the signings ochestrated by Cook or were some made by Ashton?

So Cook jettisoned a whole squad only to have no say in who came in and happily allowed someone else to bring in players that he didn't want and happily got on with it anyway?

And several of those players happened to be key players who had played under Cook previously too.

Do you happen to be sceptical about the moon landings too?

If Ashton had added his own signings for some bizarre reason, Cook could always have shipped them off to the reserves like he did with Lambert's signings and Louie Barry.

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:42 - Dec 19 with 1074 viewsBlueandTruesince82

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:35 - Dec 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

So Cook jettisoned a whole squad only to have no say in who came in and happily allowed someone else to bring in players that he didn't want and happily got on with it anyway?

And several of those players happened to be key players who had played under Cook previously too.

Do you happen to be sceptical about the moon landings too?

If Ashton had added his own signings for some bizarre reason, Cook could always have shipped them off to the reserves like he did with Lambert's signings and Louie Barry.

Ashton said himself he thought Of Santi before he even spoke to Cook so I think Ashtons involvement shouldn't be underestimated but equally I expect PC signed of most of them

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:47 - Dec 19 with 1034 viewsHerbivore

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 08:55 - Dec 19 by Esseeja

Ashton has said they both drew on their existing contacts but the idea that Cook didn't give the okay to the players signed is rather fanciful. Interestingly, some have claimed that Burns wasn't a Cook signing and yet here we have a thread saying a fit Burns would have saved Cook's job, despite allegedly not fitting Cook's system. It's almost as if football fans like to wildly speculate and often don't really know what they're talking about.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:50 - Dec 19 with 1019 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:42 - Dec 19 by BlueandTruesince82

Ashton said himself he thought Of Santi before he even spoke to Cook so I think Ashtons involvement shouldn't be underestimated but equally I expect PC signed of most of them

It would be ridiculous for a CEO to bring players into a club unless the manager wanted them. Using contacts to identify and attract players is only sensible. The suggestion that players were brought in and the manager then forced to play them is just ridiculous.

Login to get fewer ads

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 10:02 - Dec 19 with 978 viewsGuthrum

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:50 - Dec 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

It would be ridiculous for a CEO to bring players into a club unless the manager wanted them. Using contacts to identify and attract players is only sensible. The suggestion that players were brought in and the manager then forced to play them is just ridiculous.

No Manager (as opposed to a Head Coach under a DoF) with any spine would stand for it. Can't imagine someone like Cook keeping quiet if his hands were tied to that degree.

Also, if Ashton really did stuff like that, why would anybody have continued to employ him in very senior football admin roles?

I suspect some of these theories are down to our fans not being used to having a Chief Exec with their own contacts to identify and secure potential good signings. Means a greater range of targets available, not that he's going over the Manager's head.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 10:17 - Dec 19 with 956 viewsjayessess

One day we'll find a manager who can keep us competitive even when we're missing players.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 10:34 - Dec 19 with 920 viewstractordownsouth

Absolutely, he's been our best player, closely followed by Edmundson. However, with the investment the squad had put into it, we shouldn't have been relying on one individual.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 10:50 - Dec 19 with 865 viewsKeaneish

Aluko did well stepping into that role though but I’m inclined to agree and McGreal alluded to as much yesterday.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 10:56 - Dec 19 with 830 viewschrismakin

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:50 - Dec 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

Covered this many times.

Think people are over analysing it.

Do I think the club apart from PC signed some players yes. Do I think PC rejected them no.

We know PC had his targets. We tried Crooks. We tried Bradley. We also as mentioned before know he tried for a few more Wigan players.. of which we failed.

PC also told M/A he wanted 90% of the squad gone. We did that.

What I believe and I don't think it's a negative tbh. But PC failed to land his personal targets. Because of this the squad was small and struggling. M/A got involved with others and brought in some players. That's not far fetched to believe this.

If you look at the players we signed. Go back to PCs previous signings and his very rigid 4 2 3 1. It's clear that alot of our signings were not PC chosen players.

Fraser. Celina. Edwards. Burgess. Etc.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 11:33 - Dec 19 with 746 viewsLeoMuff

Great player would love to see him and Edwards in that 352.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 11:39 - Dec 19 with 722 viewsjeera

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:42 - Dec 19 by BlueandTruesince82

Sure, but making suggestions as to whom is out there and available isn't the same as taking charge over the signings.

But I wouldn't doubt for a moment it would be Cook as manager identifying his targets with Ashton doing what he could to bring them in. That's pretty much the normal way and Ashton didn't do badly on that front.

Would that have been times they sat together as professional colleagues and discussed options as adults, both throwing names into the ring? You would bloody well hope so yes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 12:10 - Dec 19 with 677 viewscressi

And if my auntie had b*llocks
She would be my uncle
If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 12:12 - Dec 19 with 666 viewschrismakin

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 12:10 - Dec 19 by cressi

And if my auntie had b*llocks
She would be my uncle

Or maybe Non Binary

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 12:19 - Dec 19 with 634 viewshatch

Funny, I made the same post on Wednesday night and got down voted for it.
If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 12:26 - Dec 19 with 616 viewsZapers

If Wes Burns hadn't got injured... on 09:47 - Dec 19 by Herbivore

Ashton has said they both drew on their existing contacts but the idea that Cook didn't give the okay to the players signed is rather fanciful. Interestingly, some have claimed that Burns wasn't a Cook signing and yet here we have a thread saying a fit Burns would have saved Cook's job, despite allegedly not fitting Cook's system. It's almost as if football fans like to wildly speculate and often don't really know what they're talking about.

But if you do not have cast iron knowledge of what went on with Cook and Ashton regarding signings, all opinions are wildly speculative.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024