Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is refreshing 14:47 - Dec 20 with 1719 viewsGuthrum

From the EADT live report:

Does he have a preferred formation?

KM: I have strong ideas of how I want my teams to play but it's about being versatile to

I believe style and principles are much more important than formations. I don't speak to players often about systems and it's more about players understanding their roles and where I want them to work.

Within that you can adapt to what suits the players and how we want to attack in any given game.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2021 14:48]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This is refreshing on 14:52 - Dec 20 with 1648 viewsStrimmer

Yep that is pretty cool really. I guess that is the crux of what we mean when we say ‘progressive’ isn’t it? Not beholden to series of lines, willing to deploy men where needed within a framework of a style held as a guiding principle. Yes yes yes. A world away from the last guy I’m sure we can agree. Polar opposite really

Poll: Was it a punch?

This is refreshing on 17:01 - Dec 20 with 1554 viewsSawtrich

Yes, I really liked this. There's so much nonsense talked about formations, it's much more about how players react to situations as they develop.
This is refreshing on 19:44 - Dec 20 with 1435 viewsYallop

This is refreshing on 17:01 - Dec 20 by Sawtrich

Yes, I really liked this. There's so much nonsense talked about formations, it's much more about how players react to situations as they develop.

Totally agree. Saw after Saturday a debate about if we played 352 or 3412. Really was all a bit irrelevant.

Good luck KM I like what I've seen of him today.
This is refreshing on 21:28 - Dec 21 with 1240 views44_not_out

A late contender for post of the year!

Far too many ‘football manager’ experts on here obsessed with formations

Football is and will always be a fluid sport where no one stands still

The players role in the team will be a given, the ‘formation’ is only a snap shot at a given moment.
This is refreshing on 08:08 - Dec 22 with 992 viewsElephantintheRoom

Style? principles? Where he wants players to work? Whilst I think I understand what you mean he talks a load of b0llocks really. The really encouraging thing is he sounds as though he might be that rarest of commodities - a manager prepared to manage. be nice if he does.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

This is refreshing on 09:01 - Dec 22 with 879 viewsabracaDOBRA_

I was speaking to my Man U supporting mate. He said that he tried to implement a 3-5-2 there but Ole wasn't keen. So my guess is that's what he'll go with.
This is refreshing on 09:07 - Dec 22 with 850 viewsParsley

Maybe I've been burnt too many times now but it did bring back bad memories of this from Paul Lambert:

"It's not systems. You have to get it out of your brain. It's about players. The player has to be smart enough to deal with it.

"Good players will fit into any system. It doesn't matter. The more intelligent players you have, the game becomes easier. It doesn't matter what level you're at.

I guess the main difference is it sounds like McKenna might actually coach the players to understand their roles rather than relying on them being good players.
This is refreshing on 09:20 - Dec 22 with 772 viewsclive_baker

Absolutely. People obsess over formations but I agree it's far more about individuals knowing and doing their jobs, and a style of play. High energy, high levels of fitness, a desire to win the ball back further up the pitch (midfield needs to get much closer to the front 2), from which to create chances.

Not saying Rotherham are the gold standard by any means but they probably are the best at this level, and they could switch formations tomorrowe but their style and approach is consistent. We saw it a few weeks ago, their press on us was like taking candy from a baby if you watch at how they got at Clements and Nsiala in particular.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

This is refreshing on 16:17 - Dec 22 with 603 viewsmarkchips

This is refreshing on 09:20 - Dec 22 by clive_baker

Absolutely. People obsess over formations but I agree it's far more about individuals knowing and doing their jobs, and a style of play. High energy, high levels of fitness, a desire to win the ball back further up the pitch (midfield needs to get much closer to the front 2), from which to create chances.

Not saying Rotherham are the gold standard by any means but they probably are the best at this level, and they could switch formations tomorrowe but their style and approach is consistent. We saw it a few weeks ago, their press on us was like taking candy from a baby if you watch at how they got at Clements and Nsiala in particular.

Clements and Nsiala - and we wonder why we are mid table. The first two positions to be sorted I would suggest.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024