Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashton 14:02 - Dec 21 with 4599 viewsHullblue

Think he’s made a great decision on McKenna. And even if this one doesn’t work out, I think the profile of the appointment bodes really well for how we’re going to be run going forward.

But did anyone else laugh when they heard him say that McKenna matches his profile, and then described him as having ‘a very high level of intelligence’?

Brings to mind a David Brent quote: “Probably why we get on… similar.’

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Ashton on 14:54 - Dec 21 with 3522 viewsChurchman

I doubt it was purely Ashton’s decision. I am guessing the Chairman had plenty of input too before the owners gave their approval.
Ashton on 15:14 - Dec 21 with 3477 viewsIllinoisblue

Ashton on 14:54 - Dec 21 by Churchman

I doubt it was purely Ashton’s decision. I am guessing the Chairman had plenty of input too before the owners gave their approval.

Really? I’d assumed O’Leary was more a figurehead chairman rather than a hands on guy.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Ashton on 15:26 - Dec 21 with 3427 viewsChurchman

Ashton on 15:14 - Dec 21 by Illinoisblue

Really? I’d assumed O’Leary was more a figurehead chairman rather than a hands on guy.

In terms of day to day running and lesser appointments, I’d assume not involved, but in terms of big decisions I’m guessing involved.

It’s an interesting question to ask.
Ashton on 16:10 - Dec 21 with 3339 viewsArnieM

OP: This is the thing about Ashton, and which worries me a little, he has an ego it seems the size of a tectonic plate .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Ashton on 16:25 - Dec 21 with 3250 viewsChurchman

Ashton on 16:10 - Dec 21 by ArnieM

OP: This is the thing about Ashton, and which worries me a little, he has an ego it seems the size of a tectonic plate .

Does he? That’s what the Bristol oddity and his disciples say, but do people who have worked with him and met him say that? Granted his dinky little beard and Brent-speak suggest it, but is it ego or cast iron confidence in his own ability? I doubt many CEOs anywhere make the grade if they are hesitant wallflowers.

There are a few questions to be asked of him about the timing of Cook’s heave ho, decisions to date and how the decision making process works between Ashton, Chairman, Owners and where the new manager fits. Is he a coach? Does he have a say on new players etc? In other words, what’s the model?
Ashton on 16:41 - Dec 21 with 3171 viewsHullblue

Ashton on 16:25 - Dec 21 by Churchman

Does he? That’s what the Bristol oddity and his disciples say, but do people who have worked with him and met him say that? Granted his dinky little beard and Brent-speak suggest it, but is it ego or cast iron confidence in his own ability? I doubt many CEOs anywhere make the grade if they are hesitant wallflowers.

There are a few questions to be asked of him about the timing of Cook’s heave ho, decisions to date and how the decision making process works between Ashton, Chairman, Owners and where the new manager fits. Is he a coach? Does he have a say on new players etc? In other words, what’s the model?

I think he does have a huge ego but it doesn’t worry me. We’ve lacked leadership since Sheepshanks left. And while Ashton’s brand is totally different, he is willing to make himself a figurehead and take responsibility for big decisions.

Think McKenna is a case in point - it’s quite a brave, ideological appointment at a time when it would have been tempting to make a really conservative, Warnock-type appointment because of the position we’re in. You need a lot of self belief to do that. I think it was largely his decision because it fits the profile of some of his others like Rodgers and Boothroyd. Naturally he wasn’t shy about mentioning those successes himself…

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Ashton on 16:47 - Dec 21 with 3144 viewsRadioOrwell

Timing of Cooks departure was spot on.
I feel more positive about KMcK than any appointment since Burley.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2021 16:50]
Ashton on 16:48 - Dec 21 with 3143 viewsArnieM

Only time will tell regarding MA. I really want this to succeed but it was the way Cook was dispensed with without anyone lined up . It came across as quite knee jerk to me.

Of course everything about this Club has changed in such a short period of time , it barely gives you time to acclimatise band draw breath . We’ve all wanted it , but now it’s happened it’s almost putting us out of our comfort zone isn’t it .

Login to get fewer ads

Ashton on 17:04 - Dec 21 with 3050 viewstractorboy1978

Ashton on 16:48 - Dec 21 by ArnieM

Only time will tell regarding MA. I really want this to succeed but it was the way Cook was dispensed with without anyone lined up . It came across as quite knee jerk to me.

Of course everything about this Club has changed in such a short period of time , it barely gives you time to acclimatise band draw breath . We’ve all wanted it , but now it’s happened it’s almost putting us out of our comfort zone isn’t it .

If our comfort zone was giving failing managers months/years more time than they deserved and operating with a structure that was about as dated as dial up internet then I'm pretty glad we are out of it.
Ashton on 21:24 - Dec 21 with 2766 viewsGuthrum

Or was that courtesy to Cook, not lining somebody up behind his back (think Magilton and Keane). Or common sense in not wanting negotiations to leak out while the previous bloke is still in the job. Or that the slide was alarmingly quick, just 32 days from Wycombe to 1st Barrow (that's not knee-jerk, it's recognising an impending emergency and pulling the handle).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ashton on 22:30 - Dec 21 with 2691 viewsChurchman

Yes, it is putting us out of our comfort zone, but I don’t have a problem with that. It’s the nature of change and boy do we need it. With regard to replacement for PC it looks like there wasn’t one in mind which seems odd to me. Was the prep work done? I’d be interested to know.

As far as decisions go, the only people I know who’ve never got one wrong are those that never made any. If the decision makers get 80% plus right, they’ll be doing ok. And if MA gets too much wrong, as a person in a key position he will be outed pretty quickly. The Americans won’t muck about.

It really is a long term project after so many years of decline. If the owners, the club and ourselves stay with it, we will be ok, despite our miserable league position.
Ashton on 06:13 - Dec 22 with 2555 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ashton on 21:24 - Dec 21 by Guthrum

Or was that courtesy to Cook, not lining somebody up behind his back (think Magilton and Keane). Or common sense in not wanting negotiations to leak out while the previous bloke is still in the job. Or that the slide was alarmingly quick, just 32 days from Wycombe to 1st Barrow (that's not knee-jerk, it's recognising an impending emergency and pulling the handle).

Or there was stuff going on behind the scenes that we just don't know about.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Ashton on 07:20 - Dec 22 with 2469 viewsArnieM

Ashton on 06:13 - Dec 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

Or there was stuff going on behind the scenes that we just don't know about.

I think Cook was a dead man walking as soon as Evans gave him the job . Just like Evans to screw us over with his last “ decision “. I suspect MA couldn’t wait to get rid of him ..

Ashton on 07:26 - Dec 22 with 2458 viewshoppy

Ashton on 16:10 - Dec 21 by ArnieM

Does he?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Ashton on 07:56 - Dec 22 with 2412 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ashton on 07:20 - Dec 22 by ArnieM

I think Cook was a dead man walking as soon as Evans gave him the job . Just like Evans to screw us over with his last “ decision “. I suspect MA couldn’t wait to get rid of him ..

I hardly think Evans screwed us over with that one. Most thought he was an excellent acquisition and some even said he wouldn't drop to our level.

Ashton on 08:07 - Dec 22 with 2382 viewsChurchman

Ashton on 07:20 - Dec 22 by ArnieM

With hindsight, I think Cook was dead man walking the day the Americans took over. I can’t believe Evans made the change to screw us over though. Incompetence and ridiculous decision is the more likely reason.

If PL had still been there and the club restructured under new ownership, he’d undoubtably been fired. Would they have chosen Cook? I doubt it, despite the words they said at the time. Just a guess.
Ashton on 08:12 - Dec 22 with 2368 viewsIpswichKnight

Ashton on 08:07 - Dec 22 by Churchman

With hindsight, I think Cook was dead man walking the day the Americans took over. I can’t believe Evans made the change to screw us over though. Incompetence and ridiculous decision is the more likely reason.

If PL had still been there and the club restructured under new ownership, he’d undoubtably been fired. Would they have chosen Cook? I doubt it, despite the words they said at the time. Just a guess.

Think Evans sold Cook the job on the basis of the Americans being investors rather than a take over. No matter what they say Cook was never their man but they obviously felt they couldn’t sack him a month into the job.
Ashton on 08:34 - Dec 22 with 2324 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ashton on 08:07 - Dec 22 by Churchman

I'm not a huge defender of Evans, but how was it "Incompetence and (a) ridiculous decision" to hire Paul Cook?

Ashton on 09:09 - Dec 22 with 2248 viewsChurchman

Ashton on 08:34 - Dec 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not a huge defender of Evans, but how was it "Incompetence and (a) ridiculous decision" to hire Paul Cook?

The timing not the appointment of Cook - I thought he’d be brilliant for us. Why wouldn’t he be with his record? Evans knew the takeover was imminent, why make a change then? Even if he hoped to retain control but take the money, there was going to be a huge question mark about the level of involvement from them.

I’m probably being wise after the event. The sequence of it just looks odd, that’s all.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2021 9:12]
Ashton on 09:31 - Dec 22 with 2192 viewsArnieM

Ashton on 09:09 - Dec 22 by Churchman

The timing not the appointment of Cook - I thought he’d be brilliant for us. Why wouldn’t he be with his record? Evans knew the takeover was imminent, why make a change then? Even if he hoped to retain control but take the money, there was going to be a huge question mark about the level of involvement from them.

I’m probably being wise after the event. The sequence of it just looks odd, that’s all.

As does Cooks sacking this season . If the new regime didn’t appoint PC and didn’t really want him why not get rid in the close season and start new campaign with their man?

Ashton on 10:18 - Dec 22 with 2115 viewsRadioOrwell

Ashton on 09:31 - Dec 22 by ArnieM

As does Cooks sacking this season . If the new regime didn’t appoint PC and didn’t really want him why not get rid in the close season and start new campaign with their man?

Because he was the sort of guy who looked like he could turn things around for us. It was certainly worth giving him a go.
Ashton on 10:43 - Dec 22 with 2072 viewsArnieM

Ashton on 10:18 - Dec 22 by RadioOrwell

Because he was the sort of guy who looked like he could turn things around for us. It was certainly worth giving him a go.

Oh yes he’s light years ahead of anything we’ve had . But I can’t help be a little wary of him . By that , I mean in terms of his boundaries and those of the manager/ coaches roles … or anyone else in this behind the scenes team…. And maybe even the actual team. I mean, just who was Norwood pointing the finger at with his twitter comment immediately after Cook got the boot?
I’ve been accused of being obsessed about him , but it’s just nervousness really . I’d hate this new era to blow up in our faces . I sick of groundhogs day at this club …,

Ashton on 11:36 - Dec 22 with 1987 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ashton on 09:09 - Dec 22 by Churchman

I think you are (being wise after the event). We needed to replace Lambert regardless of a takeover, and Evans (on paper) got the best man for the job.

Ashton on 11:51 - Dec 22 with 1938 viewsKeaneish

I’ve seen a lot of discussion about the profile is f this appointment presumably because of the United link. Barely anyone had ever heard of him before this so to say it’s shrewd or that it bodes well is based on gut instinct at the moment because there’s nothing to point to other than a few endorsements. He has it all to do and I wish him well as he’s clearly ambitious but this is a major step up irrespective of ties and stature of club’s he has coached at.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

I endorse him.... on 12:06 - Dec 22 with 1889 viewsBloots

Ashton on 11:51 - Dec 22 by Keaneish

I’ve seen a lot of discussion about the profile is f this appointment presumably because of the United link. Barely anyone had ever heard of him before this so to say it’s shrewd or that it bodes well is based on gut instinct at the moment because there’s nothing to point to other than a few endorsements. He has it all to do and I wish him well as he’s clearly ambitious but this is a major step up irrespective of ties and stature of club’s he has coached at.

....and will offer him my full support.

So he's going nowhere.

Until I change my mind of course, when I'll post #mckennaout on here and he'll be sacked immediately.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024